• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom |ST| Linkin' Parts (Please Tag All Spoilers)

I've being avoiding the korok quest to take them to their friend. It was cool once but after that I always have a more interesting goal in mind when I find one.
And usually the punish for mistake it taking a long walk back or loosing devices.

Btw, I go to a lot of ground places coming from sky but I'm afraid of being loosing something cool in the overworld. Infra-Totk FOMO.

Finally reached Hyrule, started following the main quest since it usually gives good rewards... In BotW I first went to Kakariko and then Zora, Goron, Rito, Gerudo so I guess I'll do the opposite order this time.

I lol'ed when trees started attacking me on the surface.

Stupid question: is there a fast way to get to Rito?

Between walking, scaling up mountains, and the few shrines along the way it’s taking me like 3 hours to get there. Probably 1 hour if I don’t stop at the Shrines.

Also, Hinox kicked my ass multiple times.
Use a horse and follow the main road
Build some kind of zonai car and travel the main
Find a falling rock of sky island, reverse it, ride it up, then fly over most of the nap

It shouldn't take more then 5-10 minutes doing any of these to go from lookout landing to the Rito village unless you're getting SUPER distracted by things along the way (which is perfectly normal)

So I randomly talked to a woman walking on the road and she marked a bunch of things on my map for me. Are there more people that will do this for "the rest"? I'll ask more specifically in spoilers, just in case:

Are there people who will mark the other pieces of Misko's treasures on the map for me? I got the chest pieces from a woman walking through the dueling peaks, and I randomly stumbled on one of the head pieces. Just wondering if NPCs are out there that will mark them for me, it was super helpful in getting some early gear.

Alright, I've played probably 25-30 hours and I'm finally ready to join in here lol

The more I play of this game, the more I like it. A lot of the systems take a bit to get going, but once they do it really is very satisfying. A few stray notes:
  • Fuse (and the decayed weapons) change the combat more dramatically than I expected
  • The way Ultrahand builds in utility as you gain more Zonai devices (and eventually Autobuild) is super cool
  • Overall, the new abilities are all great. There's really no Cryonis equivalent (aka a dud lol) - I feel like I use Recall the least but when it is used it's awesome
  • On the other hand, I surprisingly use Ascend all the time and can't believe I thought this would be the dud lol, I love it
  • The Sky Islands often end up feeling a little... formulaic? I'm a bit surprised how similar a lot of them are (and how relatively few they are, too - I was expecting them to be the bulk of the new explorable area)
  • On the other hand, I'm liking the Depths more and more. The first time I visited, I was underpowered and hated it. Then I went back with 10 Hearts and a bunch of Gloom damage-replenishing food, this time it was great!
  • I've been to two dungeons so far, the Wind Temple and the Water Temple. Both had a fantastic lead-up (especially Wind), although they themselves ended up feeling not too different from the Divine Beasts (although they had nicer aesthetics). The bosses of both were great though. Also as an aside the Sage of Water feels pretty useless afterwards lmao
  • The way they brought back the memories feels surprisingly organic. I also like that they have an obvious order this time if you care to view things chronologically.
  • I've unlocked most of the map regions, have done over 40 Shrines, and yet feel like I've just barely begun to scratch the surface of this huge game.
That's all for now!

Had a ton of fun playing this weekend. I'm torn, because I really want to take it slow and not rush things, but I'm also wanting to progress the main story a little bit. I think I'm going to head to the Hebra region, as it seems the game is really pushing me toward that.

I've made a small observation after clearing about 10-15 caves, but if you see a spear-ish looking thing in a cave with red and yellow adornment, it indicates that the cave contains a special treasure. They can be pretty hidden and after realizing this, I went back to several caves where I had missed the treasure.

So I randomly talked to a woman walking on the road and she marked a bunch of things on my map for me. Are there more people that will do this for "the rest"? I'll ask more specifically in spoilers, just in case:

Are there people who will mark the other pieces of Misko's treasures on the map for me? I got the chest pieces from a woman walking through the dueling peaks, and I randomly stumbled on one of the head pieces. Just wondering if NPCs are out there that will mark them for me, it was super helpful in getting some early gear.

I had someone mark 2 spots for me as well. I think it was Climbing chest and Barbarian chest. I wonder if it's just a random thing an NPC can do. I think it was someone at a stable that did it.

I've encountered a couple of guys who mentioned Misko's Treasures but they didn't mark anything. And I know there are other treasures beyond those three the lady marked because I've already found one, and it's awesome. It's relatively easy to find if you're exploring because it's in a clear point of interest.

At some point I went from haphazardly flailing objects when rotating with ultra hand to being able to orient them how I want within like three turns. I don’t even know when it happened, I just noticed how much more natural it became not too long ago. I’m guessing this is how it feels for people who can quickly solve Rubik’s Cubes.
How do you use/process big Zonaite? It’s different than regular Zonaite, right? IIRC, I did it once, but forgot.

This is what I described earlier as a “once-in-a-generation wow moment”, and made me feel just like when I saw the desert snake colossi in Shadow of the Colossus. It really was that epic.
I believe you have to use big zoanite to buy the big crystallized charges at forges. Big and Small pieces don’t seem to translate to a common amount the way some of the other currencies do.

Quickest weekend of all time...

The hours just completely melt away when playing. And it's impossible to stop at times, I just keep getting drawn to different places, and can't actually set down the controller. It's childhood whimsy distilled down so even a jaded 30 year old can enjoy it to the fullest.

No idea how I'm going to get through 40 work hours this week. I'm less than an hour in, and already it's a struggle. Incredible game, thank you for this, Nintendo.

Last night I did a sequence of quests that involved
going to the depths and following a specific path to get to another location.

I turned on the Pro Mode HUD, which gets rid of absolutely everything on screen, and just relied on the world design to get me where I needed to be. I kept jumping off the designed path to deal with certain things and get secrets, and then just had to look at my surroundings and use the design of the world to try to get back on course. I'd jump to a random direction,
in almost pitch darkness,
and guess that it would be the right way.

I was right every single time, with the next guidepost towards my objective popping up exactly where I needed it to. The world design and quest design and the way they were feeding into each other, naturally leading me to both the correct places and to areas that began entirely new quests, the way the open map when progressed like this felt like one giant intricately designed level that had tons of other, smaller little levels within it. I've never seen anything like it in 25 years of Epic Gaming.

It feels kind of weird to think about but I don't think I'll ever enjoy a game more than I've enjoyed TOTK the last couple days. Feels like the peak of what is possible with the medium.

Last edited:
i have really bad nerve pain/ repetitive strain injury and i played 7 hours on the first day and haven't been able to play since, really bumming me out - it's the first video game i've bought in four years and i was so excited :(

God, I still can't stop thinking of some of the music remixes. This soundtrack is incredible.

Not a fan of how the sages were implemented. I get that they wanted to emulate having a party, in order to fit with the more connected/social theme of Tears of the Kingdom, but actually tracking down each party member to use their ability is incredibly annoying. They should've dropped the Map/amiibo/Camera from the wheel and just tossed all of the abilities in there instead, with the avatars only being there to help in combat.

Last edited:
i have really bad nerve pain/ repetitive strain injury and i played 7 hours on the first day and haven't been able to play since, really bumming me out - it's the first video game i've bought in four years and i was so excited :(
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

lawd, I went to the Great Plateau and followed a hunch which ended up unlocking this sidequest involving the
Yiga Clan
and after I did that bit I went further and came across some kind of secret boss?? what is this game

There's a shrine related activity around Mt. Lanaru and man, never would I have imagined doing something like that in a Zelda game.

Skydiving off a floating island into shield surfing down the mountain

There's a shrine related activity around Mt. Lanaru and man, never would I have imagined doing something like that in a Zelda game.

Skydiving off a floating island into shield surfing down the mountain
I did this too yesterday and it was awesome.

The Legend of Zelda: SSX Tricky of the Kingdom

Just doing my first dungeon(fire) and I'm having a blast with it.
Really enjoying this game and as someone who had problems with botw(like it but not as much as other Zelda games) I'm happy to share that.

At least for me Zelda is back baby! Ascend and ultra hand are definitely the best.

Finally decided to do some story and yeah

the ascend in the Rito quest was amazing. The scale, the action but most important the feeling how you are going up against a giant goddam blizzard. I also noticed how well it's planned as the "hard" parts usually have a second route if you miss jumps/glide, there are ingredients to hold against the cold if you weren't prepared with armor and two shrines that also works as check points if you need to stop at some point. Also the wind shrine map works waaaaaaaaay better than the confusing 3D maps in the divine beast

Completing a dungeon opens up quite a bit of new stuff, huh. Definitely seems worth it to do earlier rather than later.
Yeah, I'd say beating at least one dungeon, particularly the rito/wind temple should be one of the first things players prioritize. Doing so unlocks the ability to get auto build*, get the shrine seeker, and unlock great fairy fountains.

*yes you can find auto build on your own if you explore the depths throughly, though the game hard points you towards it after finishing the first dungeon, and the quest that hard points it is tied to getting Robbie to return to Haterno

Just finished the Rito section. My thoughts-

The climb up was stunning. The music gets more and more foreboding, the leaps more and more risky, and then you get above the storm, to quiet, a clear sky and the beautiful orange of a sunset/sunrise before diving into the eye of the storm. A very memorable ‘adventure’ moment.

The dungeon itself felt really basic. A couple of fun puzzles but most of them are ‘get partner to use ability’. My favourite was the ‘attach icicle to broken mechanism for leverage’ which perhaps left it feeling a bit underwhelming after the journey up there.

The boss was very little threat. I was at most risk of dying from diving into the ship rather than the boss itself, and it also could have been a bit clearer in what to do- I did most of the damage with fire arrows but once I ran out I had to improvise with diving at the vulnerable sections and hoping for the best. In the end I felt like the visuals and feel of the fight were amazing but it felt scrappy and probably needed a better hint.

alright, here's a question for ya'll. I'm looking for a yes or no answer rather than a more detailed answer

a character keeping an eye on the shrine near the castle entrance says they've seen something moving around castle town. Is this something important? or is it something more trivial (monster, korok, animals, etc.)

lawd, I went to the Great Plateau and followed a hunch which ended up unlocking this sidequest involving the
Yiga Clan
and after I did that bit I went further and came across some kind of secret boss?? what is this game
The Great Plateau West chasm?? I did the same thing totally blind based on intuition and it was amazing

Just finished the Rito section. My thoughts-

The climb up was stunning. The music gets more and more foreboding, the leaps more and more risky, and then you get above the storm, to quiet, a clear sky and the beautiful orange of a sunset/sunrise before diving into the eye of the storm. A very memorable ‘adventure’ moment.

The dungeon itself felt really basic. A couple of fun puzzles but most of them are ‘get partner to use ability’. My favourite was the ‘attach icicle to broken mechanism for leverage’ which perhaps left it feeling a bit underwhelming after the journey up there.

The boss was very little threat. I was at most risk of dying from diving into the ship rather than the boss itself, and it also could have been a bit clearer in what to do- I did most of the damage with fire arrows but once I ran out I had to improvise with diving at the vulnerable sections and hoping for the best. In the end I felt like the visuals and feel of the fight were amazing but it felt scrappy and probably needed a better hint.
For what it's worth, I'd argue that the climb should be considered part of the dungeon. The other three main dungeons feature a similarly linear leadup, and at least one of them is actually a part of the dungeon map itself. Given the sheer scale of the climb, there was no way to really add it to the dungeon map, hence why I think it technically isn't part of the dungeon.

Try thinking of the leadup as the first half of the dungeon, and the terminals as one big boss key. Helped me recontextualize the dungeons, and I appreciate them a lot more now.

How are people generally feeling about
The Depths? I found it really amazing and visually interesting at first, but after exploring some of it and encountering just a tiny bit of story content (which was a very neat moment) I think it's kinda empty and devoid of cool stuff to see and do. For example, as far as I can tell, there aren't any unique enemies down there except for the little lizard fellas. Lighting the path ahead isn't particularly engaging to me and it kind of flies in the face of the "look over here and make your way to a cool thing" design ethos the rest of the game has. I think the intention is for there to be more smaller scale reveals when the lights come back on, but it just isn't really working for me in a way that I wasn't expecting since I loved the aesthetic at first. I've found some of the bigger temples, and those are neat, but overall I wish I were vibing with it more and I wish it were more consistently horror-themed.

If anyone has found any particularly cool things down there that you could point me toward, other than the One Thing that gives you The Useful Thing (trying to be vague here lol), I would like that.

Completing a dungeon opens up quite a bit of new stuff, huh. Definitely seems worth it to do earlier rather than later.

But i know there's a finite number of dungeons and I don't want them to eeeeeend

I'm still savoring Central Hyrule before going, but I suppose I have to go soon since apparently the Great Fairies are locked until after Rito village.

I caved in with the peer pressure and bought it. Apparently it's pretty good. Dunno if I should wait until the end of the semester though and summer holidays until I open it up or I might not finish my grading at all.

I made the decision to cancel my collectors and go digital, and for my only two extra Zelda purchases to be the ToTK amiibo and securing an OOT reprint. The latter has been a mess of refreshing Amazon to try and secure over the past couple weeks.... and I finally just placed an order through at MSRP! Woooo!

Now I just hope with the eventual WWHD release we get a King of Red Lions amiibo ala the Skyward Sword HD one :)

Sorry, I pretty much assumed everyone on this forum played BotW to death.

You can tame a horse (by crouching onto it and mount it) and take it to a stable.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

I should have, and planned for it, but life got in the way, and I could not find the time to play Breath of the Wild before TOTK.

For all the returning players, so much is probably intuitive, but I find myself having to constantly look things up. Like how to slow down time when shooting the bow.

BEST GAME EVER!!!! Just unlock a tower and saw it so I try to go near it to get some stuff like BOTW and boom…

I'm now riding it around the map and don't want to go down lmao

UPDATE: Naydra gonna fly into the Chasm in Kakariko Village????

After spending the weekend hitting up the towers and powering up to two stamina wheels, it’s time for some dungeons tonight. Excited to see them and what you get for finishing ‘em this time!

Having seen several of the early Memory Tears I have a theory on something that if true is absolutely wild (no pun intended), definitely intriguing.

I took a horse from a bokoblin and when I went to board it I noticed the bond was maxed out! Is that because I saved them from having a bad boy owner?

Back
Top Bottom