• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe those towers aren't climbable for whatever reason, and you have to reach the top by coming in from below? Idk

Wasn't there a clip that showed a Tower disappearing? Or at least moving location? I swear I saw an analysis video about that

You must be misunderstanding me. I think he's being shot into the sky! So the faster the better.
I guess I don't see this game having towers that launch us into the sky when we have Recall, Ascend, and flying machines. And how would that work? The reel is attached to the platform. Does it just float in the sky? And then Link does what? Paraglides around with the reel attached to a floating platform?

I guess I don't see this game having towers that launch us into the sky when we have Recall, Ascend, and flying machines. And how would that work? The reel is attached to the platform. Does it just float in the sky? And then Link does what? Paraglides around with the reel attached to a floating platform?
Reel stays attached to top of the tower, Link flies around through rings or whatever yeah.
The main difference in the other ways of flying is there's a cable attached, so it's going to limit your range in some way so it won't be useful for general traversal, just its own little mapping mini game

But the reeled cable goes below him, not above him, through a little hole at the edge of the transport platform.

It could be the mapping system for underground too tbh, but i don't think that's what's being shown. Wouldn't be surprised if those giant glowing trees are something to do with mapping the underground.
It seems to be attached to the edge of the platform, in which case either of our interpretations could be correct, yeah. I guess we'll see.

I just feel like the darkness of that elevator chute kinda suggests he's ascending from the dark underground, not ascending through a man-made tower. Especially considering we know the Sheikah towers sprouted up from deep underground in a similar manner.

Wasn't there a clip that showed a Tower disappearing? Or at least moving location? I swear I saw an analysis video about that
could it be that someone compared clips where a tower was there, and ones where it wasn't, and then came to that conclusion?

That they have to somehow appear is obvious in my mind, that they dont look like ancient monoliths makes it rather obvious that they are probably current sheikah projects (purah?), so the only question is, are they build before canon is resurected or after.
If before, that would be a sign for "different times" theories,
if after, then no further information can be gained about them appearing, since obviously they have to appear somewhen.

could it be that someone compared clips where a tower was there, and ones where it wasn't, and then came to that conclusion?

That they have to somehow appear is obvious in my mind, that they dont look like ancient monoliths makes it rather obvious that they are probably current sheikah projects (purah?), so the only question is, are they build before canon is resurected or after.
If before, that would be a sign for "different times" theories,
if after, then no further information can be gained about them appearing, since obviously they have to appear somewhen.

That particular tower was missing in the skydiving part of the demo, but it's also missing in the new trailer, so perhaps a late design change? First part of the gameplay demo could have been recorded a year ago for all we know. Or there's simply a part of the game that involves that tower not always being there.

edit: I spoke too soon, the trailer shows it's there and not there too. (it shows Mt. Lanayru tower from Hateno, but it's missing in other shots)

edit 2:
after a little think, I'm going with it being a bit of difficulty gating so you can't stumble upon the hardest group of towers first. Not very 'BotW', admittedly.

Last edited:
The cool part about this trailer is it kinda confirms a more linear story. Like there's no way Riju and Sidon would already have the Tears and Link needs to find his memories of them having them and falling in battle or whatever.

This feels very very much like A Link Between Worlds-style progression mixed with a b-line to the final boss which I am very very in for.

I didn’t even notice the tear in Sidon’s hand armor until you pointed this out. That’s very interesting, I also see the little bird has one on his waist. Sidon’s is blue and Tulin’s is green. I didn’t spot the one on Riju but then we see the golden one both with Zelda and Basket. Is it the same one? Probably? But what if it isn’t and there’s a few golden ones.

I was just thinking about it again and that one mural that was in one of the first trailers with Rauru depicted with 7 tears, there being 7 regions not counting central Hyrule, maybe we’ll have a person from each region and the associated people there and they’ll each get a tear. So like Sidon, Riju, Tulin, a shekaih, a goron, lurellian village, a mushroom??, but then there are 11 of the glyphs we can see so that would leave 4 like unused glyphs assuming they’re associated with dungeons and each dungeon gives a tear. But we have a convenient group of 4, Link, Zelda, Raura and Basket, maybe they all get a golden tear?

Maybe they don’t though and it is just the 1 and the glyph number isn’t associated with the number of tears. Another thought I had was because each power we’ve seen so far is a different color maybe those are associated somehow with the tears (not that you need to complete a dungeon to get the power, but just like correlated) so then maybe only 7 makes more sense, but then if there are 4 golden tears then that would correlate to the speculated 4 golden kanji powers but then maybe 11 powers would be too many.

I dunno, there are a few things giving me pause here.

1) The drill towers. I'm like 95% convinced that's what they are now, they are drill platforms that let you access the underground. I'm guessing there are 15 of them like the 15 Sheikah towers in BOTW. That's 15 entry points to a deep underground zone which, from the TVCM footage we see above look huge.

2) The art book areas where Link looks extremely small compared to the surrounding structures. I've been of the opinion that Link isn't shrinking here, he's just in a giant area. Those all had the same kind of plants and structures seen in the underground, with the enormously high ceiling.

I think these areas will be enormous.

I'm starting to think there are no discrete shrines in this game like in BOTW, and everything takes place in the same worldspace, maybe minus the dungeons or any time travel shenanigans. Having an enormous underground with a whole bunch of things to do as well as a ton of sky islands with puzzles seems likely to be taking the place of the more self-contained shrine puzzles.
I agree with everything you said. I think the green spirals are only energy/fast travel points and aren’t associated with shrines. But we still have the Tori gates which lead to Under Underwater and that is where we will find all our shrine equivalents imo.

I agree with everything you said. I think the green spirals are only energy/fast travel points and aren’t associated with shrines. But we still have the Tori gates which lead to Under Underwater and that is where we will find all our shrine equivalents imo.
Yeah I keep forgetting about those water areas... Who knows. That could just be one single dungeon?

I think at least one of those spheres is the one in which Link is turning the big mechanism on the same platform as that gacha machine.
Oh yeah, that's a good fit. Didn't even make that connection so I had to go and rewatch the trailer (woe is me...)

Yeah I keep forgetting about those water areas... Who knows. That could just be one single dungeon?
It could be but I keep thinking of the Zelda Oled controllers motifs where the right controller has only the water circle pattern which we see on the ceilings in those art book photos so it would make sense to me that they represent the more Spiritual part of the game for growth or health plus there are a lot of Tori gates.

Eh, I disagree with that. There's no doubt in my mind that the spirals are Shrines, imo. Their map icon is just far too similar to Shrines, there are 4 of them in the starting tutorial island mirroring the Great Plateau, they have an active and deactive state, and in one of those states they're easily seen from a distance, and in the icon, one of the artbook images, and one of the shots in the trailer they even have a door. And of course they're in the same or very similar spots to Shrines

Plus, I don't think they'd just give up on the Shrine concept, it's just too strong of a concept imo. Having to construct everything that would be in a Shrine into the overworld just feels way too restricting, both for the Shrine and the overworld. I don't think that's a design concept they'd give up just for the sake of seamlessness or immersion

Basically it really doesn't fit to me for something that so obviously fits the design of a Shrine to be anything but

Interesting. lol dank caves

286068.jpg

It looks like Link is turning the Sphere to line up the Gotcha machine with hole on the sphere. I think the balls inside the gotcha machine are the bubbles that will come out of the gotcha machine that we can jump into as shown in the trailer.

It looks like Link is turning the Sphere to line up the Gotcha machine with hole on the sphere. I think the balls inside the gotcha machine are the bubbles that will come out of the gotcha machine that we can jump into as shown in the trailer.
The balls look similar for sure. There's one in the south of the tutorial area that seems like an odd place for that, but maybe different machines have different prizes, just like in real life.

Eh, I disagree with that. There's no doubt in my mind that the spirals are Shrines, imo. Their map icon is just far too similar to Shrines, there are 4 of them in the starting tutorial island mirroring the Great Plateau, they have an active and deactive state, and in one of those states they're easily seen from a distance, and in the icon, one of the artbook images, and one of the shots in the trailer they even have a door. And of course they're in the same or very similar spots to Shrines

Plus, I don't think they'd just give up on the Shrine concept, it's just too strong of a concept imo. Having to construct everything that would be in a Shrine into the overworld just feels way too restricting, both for the Shrine and the overworld. I don't think that's a design concept they'd give up just for the sake of seamlessness or immersion

Basically it really doesn't fit to me for something that so obviously fits the design of a Shrine to be anything but
Ok we shall see then, I also think a door opens up inside the rock but rather taking you to a shrine location it transfers you to a sky island or another spot on the surface only. Just my opinion.

The balls look similar for sure. There's one in the south of the tutorial area that seems like an odd place for that, but maybe different machines have different prizes, just like in real life.
Yah I was definitely surprised to see so many, there’s another by itself on an island in the art book as well so their purpose might be bigger than we think or have several different functions.

Maybe some of the balls form water bubbles, some form low grav platforms, some form tornados/updrafts, who knows.

Yah I was definitely surprised to see so many, there’s another by itself on an island in the art book as well so their purpose might be bigger than we think or have several different functions.
If it's the one I'm thinking of that's also in the tutorial area near the snowy part, it's next to another island but with a big gap between, so it's possible that one gives you bubbles and you have to position them with ultrahand. Either way I think it will be dispensing some ultrahand-able Zonai tech whatever it is.

edit: the islands I'm talking about are seen side by side at 5:22 in the demo. Or 2:37 for the front view.

Last edited:
It's incredible how packed that trailer was yet how little we still know about this game.
Very different than from BOTW as far as info, i Have more info than I thought I originally wanted for this game, but there’s still So many possibilities for just about everything I still feel mostly spoiler free. A good Zeltik analysis will be about all I can handle which will be great because besides a few tweets from Nintendo we are done and as soon as I get a hint of any types of major Leaks I’m out.
Maybe some of the balls form water bubbles, some form low grav platforms, some form tornados/updrafts, who knows.
I like this idea of different types of platforms they could become would be a nice puzzle aspect to change things up.

If the game is trying to support 40 hearts, 10 stamina upgrades, and 7 battery vial upgrades, there could very well be multiple types of Shrines, something that gels with the view that the aesthetic of BotW was too similar the 120 that existed.

Surface/sky shrines with the smoke circles could warp to sky islands, underground shrines which we never see could lead to underground challenges, some of the visible chechmark caves could be shrine-like, etc.

Shrines were a massively successful part of the BotW design but the repetitive visuals could easily be split across 3 or 4 different categories/visuals. However, they fundamentally need to be separated from the rest of the world to force actual challenges rather than ascending or airdropping onto goals.

For anyone who has the spoiler pages, what is the name of the flying bird enemy? The Kanji for Kargorak or Vire didn’t seem to be lining up…

I am smidge bit salty after seeing possibly the best trailer I have ever seen only comparable to the BOTW final trailer because I was almost certain that the highlight of the trailer was going to occur 3/4 of the way through and after some dramatic scene happened with Gannondorf and it look like there would be no hope type thing.
The music would crescendo and pan in on the back of Link standing way up high on sky island with his arms down to his side. Then slowly pan around to his face to reveal his face in the bird mask.
linkwing.jpg

He would then open his arms revealing the whole suit and then dive down and do some of sick aerial combat moves. Only seeing Link open up the wing suit in that tunnel with lazers for a split second was very underwhelming and i think a lot of people watching actually missed it. Which by the way, we have seen nothing from the patents as far as aerial combat. I don't want to be one of those guys where I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist type thing, but it does make me wonder a bit why we haven't seen Link with the bow in mid-air.

I am smidge bit salty after seeing possibly the best trailer I have ever seen only comparable to the BOTW final trailer because I was almost certain that the highlight of the trailer was going to occur 3/4 of the way through and after some dramatic scene happened with Gannondorf and it look like there would be no hope type thing.
The music would crescendo and pan in on the back of Link standing way up high on sky island with his arms down to his side. Then slowly pan around to his face to reveal his face in the bird mask.
linkwing.jpg

He would then open his arms revealing the whole suit and then dive down and do some of sick aerial combat moves. Only seeing Link open up the wing suit in that tunnel with lazers for a split second was very underwhelming and i think a lot of people watching actually missed it. Which by the way, we have seen nothing from the patents as far as aerial combat. I don't want to be one of those guys where I haven't seen it so it doesn't exist type thing, but it does make me wonder a bit why we haven't seen Link with the bow in mid-air.

Why would you need a patent for aerial combat? Even the parents they got were borderline CYA more than anything particularly novel.

BotW already had aerial combat. You just popped out the bow and then resumed what you were doing.

linkwing.jpg

I will admit I am losing a bit of hope in widespread aerial combat. At least it’s confirmed for bosses from the trailer, but I had kind of thought regular enemy encounters as you sky dive would be a normal thing

That’s something they’d definitely put in a trailer if it was there imo

Also… what does the wing suit do? Now that I think about it. I mean Link can already freely move when skydiving

I know some thinks it’s a dungeon item but I’m curious how that will be incorporated

Also… what does the wing suit do? Now that I think about it. I mean Link can already freely move when skydiving

I know some thinks it’s a dungeon item but I’m curious how that will be incorporated

Wing Suits let you convert downward velocity into lateral or upward velocity, with some degree of curvature. You really can't do that type of thing with clothing or the sail.

I don't know of realistic wing suits actually provide substantial net lift, but they could make the game one do it.

Folks, you can see Link switch between very falling states described in the aforementioned patent (faster downward position, shifting into slower horizontal position).

Why would you need a patent for aerial combat? Even the parents they got were borderline CYA more than anything particularly novel.

BotW already had aerial combat. You just popped out the bow and then resumed what you were doing.
It was supposedly novel because it centered around how the direction you would be aiming the bow in would naturally affect your falling speed and trajectory. And animation angles and all that.

Also note that Zelda has the same Sheikah slate that attaches to that reel in the artwork where she's depicted exploring the underground.

chara-zelda-sp.png

It's definitely meant to be a spelunking device. The towers might even be part of a story quest where you search for Zelda underground before you know she's in the sacred realm/past.

In fact the premise of the game might be that we stumbled across Ganondorf while using those towers and Sheikah slate to explore underground. It wouldn't make sense for him to be in some shallow cave you can reach just by walking from the surface. We probably got deep underground by using a Sheikah tower.

It was supposedly novel because it centered around how the direction you would be aiming the bow in would naturally affect your falling speed and trajectory. And animation angles and all that.
I think it will be a missed opportunity if you can’t also melee

Like a quick strike as you dive past you target. Some badass anime shit.

I think it will be a missed opportunity if you can’t also melee

Like a quick strike as you dive past you target. Some badass anime shit.
Yep and Link falling backwards for one last shot to finish them off before casually turning around and flying on his way.

linkwing.jpg

I can promise you there are more than 100 other things you haven't seen yet, but as a long time Nintendo fan trust me when they are not one of the types who show everything in the trailer and spoil the whole game. Nintendo DNA means they want to surprise you, even after this trailer.

So I think it's important to ask who each of the characters is talking to in the trailer. Zelda seems to be talking to Rauru and Link, Rauru obviously to Zelda. The woman we hear saying "but you are not alone" is probably baskets, but is she talking to Link or Zelda?

My big question is, who is Ganondorf talking to? "Don't turn away" kinda implies it's someone who is terrified of him but who exactly would he let watch him do all that?

So I think it's important to ask who each of the characters is talking to in the trailer. Zelda seems to be talking to Rauru and Link, Rauru obviously to Zelda. The woman we hear saying "but you are not alone" is probably baskets, but is she talking to Link or Zelda?

My big question is, who is Ganondorf talking to? "Don't turn away" kinda implies it's someone who is terrified of him but who exactly would he let watch him do all that?

Ganondorf might not be the final boss or final villain. If he has one of the Tears, and each of the Tears is linked to some power, then he could just be one of the main bosses, possibly with Hyrule Castle as the dungeon he is associated with. It would be awkward to have Hyrule Castle be the final dungeon in both games, but it is almost certainly a dungeon in some capacity.

I think we're going to get the main campaign goal popup after the tutorial zone like we did in BotW, but it won't be "Defeat Ganondorf!", it will be things like "Find Zelda!", "Collect the Tears of the Kingdom!" , "Save the Sacred Realm!", or something, corresponding to Impa, the Divine Beasts, and Ganon from BotW. Technically "Recover your Memories" was a 4th main objective in BotW, but I don't know what the equivalent would be here.

The final BotW dungeon showed 3 of the four Divine Beasts, as far as I can tell. I think TotK will have seven main dungeons, each associated with a Tear. So far the best I can figure:

1. Hyrule Castle
  2. Underground Lava Ruins (trailer 3?) -- Potentially Death Mountain interior/underneath
  3. Underwater Facility (artbook)
  4. Structure inside a Storm Cloud
  5. Gerudo Ruins (artbook, potentially what is rising from the sands in trailer 3)
  6. ??? -- Deep deep underground?
  7. ??? -- Way higher above ground?
Trying to split them up between underground, sky, and surface seems moot because of how much mobility there is. With that breakdown of 7, it could also be the Hylian, Goron, Zonai, Rito, Gerudo, Zonai, ???? split that people had theorized.

Last edited:
Ganondorf might not be the final boss. If he has one of the Tears, and each of the Tears is linked to some power, then he could just be one of the main bosses, possibly with Hyrule Castle as the dungeon he is associated with. It would be awkward to have Hyrule Castle be the final dungeon in both games, but it is almost certainly a dungeon in some capacity.

I think we're going to get the main campaign goal popup after the tutorial zone like we did in BotW, but it won't be "Defeat Ganondorf!", it will be things like "Find Zelda!", "Collect the Tears of the Kingdom!" , "Save the Sacred Realm!", or something, corresponding to Impa, the Divine Beasts, and Ganon from BotW. Technically "Recover your Memories" was a 4th main objective in BotW, but I don't know what the equivalent would be here.
Nah, I don't really see any way that he's not the final boss. Nothing about the marketing has suggested or hinted otherwise.

Regardless of how they like to throw expectations and conventions on their heads, they always wind up sticking to a pretty basic formula, green + blue versus red. That's what it will be here too just like in BOTW. Defeating him may not be the primary goal of the game, but he will be the final boss for sure, or at least some form of him.

Nah, I don't really see any way that he's not the final boss. Nothing about the marketing has suggested or hinted otherwise.

Regardless of how they like to throw expectations and conventions on their heads, they always wind up sticking to a pretty basic formula, green + blue versus red. That's what it will be here too just like in BOTW. Defeating him may not be the primary goal of the game, but he will be the final boss for sure, or at least some form of him.

Him being the final boss would break all of the speculation about each tear being associated with a Rune power for Link, though, and also break all of the speculation about there being seven main dungeons.

Him being the final boss would break all of the speculation about each tear being associated with a Rune power for Link, though, and also break all of the speculation about there being seven main dungeons.
Personally I don't buy the tears being tied to rune powers, where did that idea come from? And they could very easily be tied to dungeons, with his dungeon or Hyrule Castle if that's where he really is being the final one. If it's Hyrule Castle again I'm guessing it's been transformed into Ganon's Castle/Tower like in OoT.

Personally I don't buy the tears being tied to rune powers, where did that idea come from? And they could very easily be tied to dungeons, with his dungeon or Hyrule Castle if that's where he really is being the final one. If it's Hyrule Castle again I'm guessing it's been transformed into Ganon's Castle/Tower like in OoT.

Zelda's tear is the one we get a clear shot of, and is one of the existing Runes that we know of, right?

azqZoEy.png

That's also interesting because it looks like NPCs on an Ultrahand wagon, so, like, is everybody doing things like that, or is it a sidequest chain where you help the theater group and then they are in the wagon for the next parts of the quest?

But then the minecart combat also looks like both Link's and the enemy carts are made by Ultrahand, which I have no idea how to reconcile.

Last edited:
Demise is sealed within the master sword at the end of Skyward sword, isn't he?
The master sword seems to be destroyed in TotK.
It just makes sense to me that Ganondorf tries to resurrect Demise in some capacity and the only way to defeat him are some time shennanigans and support from characters/items from an ancient era.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom