• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't look at it too much but can anyone tell me if we have some sort of confirmation of full scale big dungeons like in the previous 3D Zelda's?
Yeah itโ€™s heavily teased anyway. There are several large rooms with new, unique architecture.

I didn't look at it too much but can anyone tell me if we have some sort of confirmation of full scale big dungeons like in the previous 3D Zelda's?
We donโ€™t have confirmation. We have some art of structures and interiors that look like it, but notto say 100% โ€œthis is a full scale big dungeonโ€.

With that said the Zelda team listens to criticism and I expect them to be there.

The artbook shows some 'underwater' locations but it may not be underwater underwater... like we could be entering places that are below the surface but we may not be able to go and swim undersea or use iron boots ourselves.

... I'm still trying to manage my expectations for this game somewhat, lol. Yes this artbook is showing a lot but the scope of the game is already massive and I'm not confident that we'll be able to dive below Lake Hylia.

There is not enough context. But there is a good chance. I don't know what else these areas could be.

The artbook has made my weirdly impatient for the next trailer. I should feel sated for weeks after years of hunger lol

Can someone please catch me up to speed on the Zonai coin/vial/shrine conversation? It sounds like the artbook shows a pouch or something that equates to 40 coin slots that could somehow translate to shrines or puzzle rooms? Is there any more clarity/elaboration on that front?

If there are really 11 dungeon-esque places in the game and you only need to complete 7 or something like that, the replayability of this game will be enormous

Frantically hoping Nintendo reveals a new character so I can post a new "Is this the Goddess Hylia?" Youtube video. My previous one is out dated for...reasons.

There is not enough context. But there is a good chance. I don't know what else these areas could be.

While I agree and think dungeons are integrated, if there would have been leaks for BotW showing paintings of Akkala citadel, forgotten temple, Thyphlo ruins, the inside of a guardian, a lomei labyrinth, etc. everyone would have thought that there are for sure thematically different dungeons in that game.

I wonder if weโ€™ll be able to go straight to the final boss again this time.

While I agree and think dungeons are integrated, if there would have been leaks for BotW showing paintings of Akkala citadel, forgotten temple, Thyphlo ruins, the inside of a guardian, a lomei labyrinth, etc. everyone would have thought that there are for sure thematically different dungeons in that game.
I think there's a qualitative difference between those and what we see here. Much more variety and a combination of different exteriors and interiors.

Eh, bad comparison. Thyphlo ruins was not a different setting, it was the same grassy outdoor environment only shrouded in complete darkness. Same for Akkala Citadel which is part of the autumn themed area. The Labyrinths were practically themeless just like the forgotten temple. On the other hand, there are distinctly themed interior environments present in the artbook. And even something like shrine puzzles being naturally integrated into the environment will go a long way in breaking up the look of caves and the overworld even if they lots of them still follow similar visual design.

BotW was breaking the Zelda conventions including dungeons as we all know. I think you have to have faith in the Zelda team that theyโ€™ll do better with the dungeons in TOTK. Theyโ€™re very good at listening. No one is sayin they need go back to old school dungeons 1:1, but Iโ€™m sure they can find a better middle ground.

Crazy idea/theory

some of the artwork shown in the book might indicate that the team is delving again with time travel shenanigans... WHAT IF THIS IS A DIFFERENT APPROACH OF TIME TRAVEL

We already saw an ability that reverts back the momentum/movement of an object from one place to the other. What if we are able to do this on ruins like the Forgotten Temple and Great Plateau which seems to be back to its old state. Possible explanation why we need to revert back the ruins to its old form is because we need to retrieve the "tears" without the need of time travel.

Gameplay idea: In order to revert back the ruins to its original form we must collect this disk ( the "vial" thing links carry are not vials but disk if you look at the leak artworks) in this games version of shrine. Then after collecting the shrine's disk we will be able to revert back the ruins and be rewarded by a giant classic dungeon for us to explore
This is what I thought the entire game was months ago, Link is the one raising the sky islands and that sends them back in time too

Based on the surrounding pictures, I think it's a training schedule for lessons on different types of weapons, or maybe it's showing the weapons carried by enemies depending on the time of the day. Weakening your sword because of the clock would be silly
Another possibility could be a weapon vendor schedule, where people/shops sell different weapons depending on the time of day

Iโ€™m just not feeling underwater exploration. Havenโ€™t the whole time, I donโ€™t think theyโ€™re gonna do it bc the sky and underground is more than enough.

Maybe itโ€™s because I donโ€™t really find it that enticing but yeah, I never thought of it as a big possibility or something they were itching to include but couldnโ€™t

One thing Iโ€™ll say is that I hope the massive buzz Eventide Island got influenced this game.

That was the best part of the game for emergent gameplay

If we donโ€™t get underwater exploration I could see that and sailing the waters to a new land saved for BotW 3.

If dungeons are indeed part of the game, I hope that the Zelda team managed to integrate those seamlessly to the overworld like in Elden Ring for example.
BOTW took inspiration from Skyrim and Dark Souls in some aspects. Elden Ring was clearly inspired by BOTW. I hope this cycle continues.

I also hope for better combat design, but it's not something an art book can leak.

There is only 1 dungeon but itโ€™s huge with multiple levels and you go back to it every once in a while after clearing several nu shrines to unlock the next level.

๐Ÿ‘ปโณ

I think there's a qualitative difference between those and what we see here. Much more variety and a combination of different exteriors and interiors.
Hmm, maybe. Yes. I get what you mean.

Right now I kind of disagree.
Some pictures just show a unique location with one or two rooms. Could be like the Yiga hideout for all we know. It also had a little different exteriors and interiors, imo.
I haven't seen anything from the artbook that suggests that those locations are big areas with complex layouts and thematically distinct puzzle systems.... but then I still haven't seen everything of the leak.

I think they look a little more interesting than almost anything in BotW, so that is exciting and promising, yes.

Eh, bad comparison. Thyphlo ruins was not a different setting, it was the same grassy outdoor environment only shrouded in complete darkness. Same for Akkala Citadel which is part of the autumn themed area. The Labyrinths were practically themeless just like the forgotten temple. On the other hand, there are clearly visually distinct themes present in interior environments in the artbook.

The pictures in the leak are just artwork. I am pretty sure that the artwork of these places in BotW looked more distinct than they ended up in the game (I have to check my creating a champion book). Thyphlo ruins for example had Zonai symbols - so not only the typical grassy environment. You would depict that in artwork very differently.

There are very nice paintings of some sky islands in the leak, but in the trailers they all look a lot alike, using the golden leaf trees and similar stone/asphalt textures. I don't know, I don't want to sound too pessimistic but I still have some doubts.

Regarding the coins and the vials I have a different idea as far as a use for them. I think these two images are directly related to each other. One being that the vials are now worn where the Sheikah slate was worn by link as a clue as well.

Two if you look at the first image in the upper left, you will notice that what we are calling a individual coin could actually be a small spool of energy wire based on the cross section.
Coins.jpg
Then compare it to the second image of the larger spool of wire, it has obvious breaks from Green to black and repeats itself. So you find each one of the coins and connect them into the wire by using the new Sheikah slate, since it intentionally is looking like a switch, in my opinion, I wouldn't be surprised if they are intended to be like a game cartridge.
spool-of-wire.jpg

I am theorizing that each mini energy spool of wire is actually a short video clip of the past that you use on the Sheikah slate to view it. It could depict a dungeon room or Temple floor of the way it looked in the past like a mini cutscene. Also if you look at the container that holds the vials in the first image again, you can see that the eye symbol in the middle, at the top, is now partially opened possibly signifying you have slowly viewed some of the cutscenes already. I am now thinking that this image below from the last trailer is Link seeing the spool of wire for the first time, possibly in Purah's make shift lab and if you notice the spool is completely solid black and doesn't have any of my proposed mini energy wires combined with it yet.

full-grap-hook-combined.jpg

Crazy idea/theory

some of the artwork shown in the book might indicate that the team is delving again with time travel shenanigans... WHAT IF THIS IS A DIFFERENT APPROACH OF TIME TRAVEL

We already saw an ability that reverts back the momentum/movement of an object from one place to the other. What if we are able to do this on ruins like the Forgotten Temple and Great Plateau which seems to be back to its old state. Possible explanation why we need to revert back the ruins to its old form is because we need to retrieve the "tears" without the need of time travel.

Gameplay idea: In order to revert back the ruins to its original form we must collect this disk ( the "vial" thing links carry are not vials but disk if you look at the leak artworks) in this games version of shrine. Then after collecting the shrine's disk we will be able to revert back the ruins and be rewarded by a giant classic dungeon for us to explore
Just now saw your last idea in this post, it is very similar to the one I just had regarding the disk coins, I think it will end up being something in the middle of our two ideas as they are very similar.

Right now I kind of disagree.
Some pictures just show a unique location with one or two rooms. Could be like the Yiga hideout for all we know. It also had a little different exteriors and interiors, imo.
I haven't seen anything from the artbook that suggests that those locations are big areas with complex layouts and thematically distinct puzzle systems.... but then I still haven't seen everything of the leak.
Without context we don't know. There's a few images that show puzzles and mechanics in large and distinct interiors, others that show interiors and exteriors with elemental themes. I am avoiding making absolute claims about whether or not these images specifically are dungeons or mini-dungeons, but I do believe that dungeons in this game are a given. It's not like BotW had 'none', it just had four short ones with similar aesthetics and a large non-linear labyrinthine enemy gauntlet. With the amount of variety in this book - which feels like it has more of in 200 pgs than Creating a Champion did in 400 - I would be surprised if this game's dungeons somehow all looked the same.

Without context we don't know. There's a few images that show puzzles and mechanics in large and distinct interiors, others that show interiors and exteriors with elemental themes. I am avoiding making absolute claims about whether or not these images specifically are dungeons or mini-dungeons, but I do believe that dungeons in this game are a given. It's not like BotW had 'none', it just had four short ones with similar aesthetics and a large non-linear labyrinthine enemy gauntlet. With the amount of variety in this book - which feels like it has more of in 200 pgs than Creating a Champion did in 400 - I would be surprised if this game's dungeons somehow all looked the same.
I hope so too. These pictures look a little more different and fleshed out than those of BotW, I agree.

But I really think if you would have given me 5 to 10 intriguing pictures of locations as an excerpt out of Creating a champion before playing the game and seeing the final trailers, I would have come to similar conclusions than we do now.
Anyway, it is difficult to argue about that having played BotW already. We will see soon. I hope you are right and I believe you will be.

It looks like the mine carts have headlights on them, there also appears to be a track switching mechanism as it has arrows on top of it which I thought was a lantern the first time I glanced at it on the page. I have been secretly hoping that Death Mountain would be a huge roller coaster in out of dark tunnels with sharp turns and track switching mechanisms ever since we saw the last trailer of Link rail grinding. This doesn't confirm anything, but some of the pieces to make it happen are now in place. I can just see us having to shoot arrows at the mechanism to left or right up ahead as we speed down.
mine-carts.jpg

more-tracks.jpg

emmine-carts.jpg

I added the second and third photo later because it appears much later in the book, I swear this book is intentially trying to confuse us.

Last edited:
Iโ€™m intrigued by this black Ganon-looking mural:

xpa1akvlocja1.jpg

Notice how there are little โ€œtearsโ€ scattered throughout the design? I count 50. Is it possible that there are actually way more โ€œtearsโ€ than the speculated 7 and that maybe they are rewards from this gameโ€™s version of shrines?

The glyphs on the Hyrule map could represent larger โ€œdungeonsโ€ where Link receives some sort of power up (similar in concept to the divine beasts, though hopefully more thematically distinct).

Thereโ€™s actually a second image similar to this one that depicts a lizard-like creature with 20 of these โ€œtearsโ€ hidden in it, canโ€™t find an image of it right now on my phone though.

Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
Isn't this the Worm from the 2nd trailer that Link fights with the flame thrower? It looks like from the 2nd image that they are designed to blend in with their environment as well. Their bodies resemble rocks, and so if they were hanging upside or stuck on the side of walls as it looks like by their suction cup feet, I think they will jump out at us. What has me excited is look at all the different colors they come in, so if they are ment to blend in with their environment, that's 10 different underground, cave or dungeon area environments right there.
Monster-single.jpg

monster-hangings.jpg

Weโ€™re trying to figure out if this Reddit post on Era is real. It talks about Lilliput and sea bottom in TOTK

Edit: looks like it was fake. Nothing to see here

Last edited:
Weโ€™re trying to figure out if this Reddit post on Era is real. It talks about Lilliput and sea bottom in TOTK

Looks like a fan mock up.

Isn't this the Worm from the 2nd trailer that Link fights with the flame thrower? It looks like from the 2nd image that they are designed to blend in with their environment as well. Their bodies resemble rocks, and so if they were hanging upside or stuck on the side of walls as it looks like by their suction cup feet, I think they will jump out at us. What has me excited is look at all the different colors they come in, so if they are ment to blend in with their environment, that's 10 different underground, cave or dungeon area environments right there.
Monster-single.jpg

monster-hangings.jpg
you mean...likelikes?

and we still donโ€™t know a whole lot about the aerial combat beyond the patent stuff
The wingsuit has me even more hyped for how aerial combat is going to play out

There's going to be a really fire boss fight out of all these mechanics. Hopefully

I really think the last trailer just needed a moneyshot of the wingsuit. Hopefully they go over that in detail in the Zelda Direct or whatever is coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom