• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data The Legend of Zelda Moves 10 Million Units in 3 Days; 2.24M Units in Japan, 4M Units in the Americas

EDIT: 2.24M units in Japan

EDIT 2: 4M units in the Americas

Oh man. This game is doing huge numbers. Absolutely insane. Congratulations to Nintendo & the Zelda team! 100% deserved!

Also, i'm calling it now: 30 million copies before the end of the fiscal year. Bookmark this if you must.

Holy crap. 10M in 3 days, when people were thinking 10M for FW. And at $70 MSRP too! Crazy performance. And well deserved.

Pictured: Koei Tecmo learning about this and trying to get a new Hyrule Warriors greenlit ASAP

giphy.gif

Wow, great. And this sale figures with a 7/10 game :)

Don't judge me. This comment was a parody on a discussion i had in the review thread. Of course TotK is a masterpiece
You gotta let that go. It's statistically impossible for everyone to like a game, no matter how well it's made, or how many people like it.

I don't like the Horizon series, but it's well made and people love it.

So, stop trying to bait. Leave it be and get over it.

Absolutely bonkers, but also massively deserved. It’s one of the best games of all time and what gaming should strive to be.

Feeling confident in my 20M first month prediction now. But those Japanese sales numbers in particular are hugely impressive.

Pictured: Koei Tecmo learning about this and trying to get a new Hyrule Warriors greenlit ASAP

giphy.gif
Forget Koei Tecmo, that's Universal Pictures asking how fast Nintendo can greenlight a Zelda movie.

This has to be fastest selling game EVER, yet no news piece says this. What's above TotK? I know it's not GTA5, it did 11 million in first week.

Edit: GTA5 did 11 million in its first DAY. So it's still the king... so far.

Surprising to see it already up there with BotW in Japan. Maybe they focused all the marketing on their home turf to beef up numbers there

Feeling confident in my 20M first month prediction now. But those Japanese sales numbers in particular are hugely impressive.

Forget Koei Tecmo, that's Universal Pictures asking how fast Nintendo can greenlight a Zelda movie.
At this point, the only real obstacle for a Zelda movie is that Illumination will only do it if they figure out a way to put 80s songs in it.

- "So you see, Miyamoto-san, Link wakes up from this really long sleep, right? So what better way to illustrate this than with the sweet tunes of Wham!'s Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?"

- "Please get out."

I just realised, 2.2m in Japan...that's on the same level as MH and DQ. Zelda as a IP has really blown up even further than we could possibly imagine.

The days of new Zelda games selling 4 million LTD are truly over.

Fantastic news. It’ll clear 20 million by the end of the year, and it actually may catch up to BOTW one day.

This has to be fastest selling game EVER, yet no news piece says this. What's above TotK? I know it's not GTA5, it did 11 million in first week.

Edit: GTA5 did 11 million in its first DAY. So it's still the king... so far.

It's apparently 2nd fastest selling Nintendo game, Pokémon SV is still 1st. But it was really close, both were reported to have sold 10m+, and Zelda wasn't holiday season.

They would've specified in the PR if it actually overtook Pokemon worldwide, but given they are both in the 10 million range it is likely pretty close regardless.
True—behind by a bit in Japan where S/V did 4m (!!) in its opening. Very curious to see TOTK’s legs in Japan, as well as how close it can get to BOTW’s worldwide LTD by the end of the year.

The facts from all of the different PR pieces:
  • Over 10 million units sold worldwide in the first three days.
    • 2.24 million domestically.
    • Over 4 million in the Americas.
  • The Zelda series was at a cumulative global sales total of 130 million as of March 2023 (would be over 140 million now).
  • Fastest-selling game in The Legend of Zelda series worlwide.
  • Fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game and the fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in the Americas and in Europe.
The fastest-selling Nintendo game domestically and worldwide overall remains Pokémon Scarlet and Violet though; it sold 4.05m in Japan within the same period (compared to Zelda's 2.24m), and if TotK managed to pass it worldwide they would have specified so. Like I said earlier though, given they are both in the 10 million range, it is likely pretty close regardless.

According to Vooks, it's also the single best selling game in the history of NoE.

They obviously mean best launch.

Mario kart alone will be a 10m+ seller in Europe even in the most pessimistic of distributions. And TOTK isn't at 10m+ yet in Europe, obviously.

At this point, the only real obstacle for a Zelda movie is that Illumination will only do it if they figure out a way to put 80s songs in it.

- "So you see, Miyamoto-san, Link wakes up from this really long sleep, right? So what better way to illustrate this than with the sweet tunes of Wham!'s Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go?"

- "Please get out."
And to think they wasted 'Holding out for a hero' on the Mario movie...

It's apparently 2nd fastest selling Nintendo game, Pokémon SV is still 1st. But it was really close, both were reported to have sold 10m+, and Zelda wasn't holiday season.
Both had the same report, 10 million in first 3 days but no further detail. Sounds like they were super close. Other games, like Skyrim, Elden Ring and CoD MW3 also reported 10m sales but in a much longer period, from a week to a full month. With the solid data we have, currently both SV and TotK come right after GTA5.

This is honestly much better than I expected. The Zelda series has never been in such an amazing position. Really looking forward to what they do next!

in 10 years :(

Wow, great. And this sale figures with a 7/10 game :)

Don't judge me. This comment was a parody on a discussion i had in the review thread. Of course TotK is a masterpiece
This crap is really, really tiring. Come on.

Both had the same report, 10 million in first 3 days but no further detail. Sounds like they were super close. Other games, like Skyrim, Elden Ring and CoD MW3 also reported 10m sales but in a much longer period, from a week to a full month. With the solid data we have, currently both SV and TotK come right after GTA5.

Pokémon SV was reported by Nintendo to be their fastest selling at the time, Zelda wasn't.

Anyhow, with these two being crazy record breakers, seems like open world Nintendo is here to stay. I wonder if Mario will be next to take the plunge.

Absolutely insane.

And some people wonder why the open world format is here to stay? I'm loving TotK right now so I'm happy the series has been able to reach this level of success with these games.

Last edited:
It’s been selling a lot everywhere. Here’s a video from the Zmart (a chilean videogames retailer chain) in Viña del Mar before opening last friday, the line was around 2 street blocks long. I can’t remember the last time there was a line that long outside of that store.

In 3 days they sold 10 millions alone, something that my beloved Pikmin will never be able to reach. Nintendo, it's time to make Pikmin huge.
Miyamoto will use his own pocket money he made from the Mario Movie to buy enough copies and inflate the sales performance of Pikmin 4.

Didn't expect fastest Nintendo launch in NOA and NOE, but it makes sense.

10M in 3 days is definitely what I was thinking, I assumed 10M day one shipment like Sun and Moon though (that was the case for that game, right?)

Absolutely insane.

And some people wonder why the open world format is here to stay? I'm loving TotK right now so I'm happy the series has been able to reach this level of success with these games.
At the same time, the IP is now way bigger than ever. Remakes and 2D games can sell big too - not nearly this big, but more than enough to be worth it.

Well deserved. The Japan numbers surprise me most!

Love to see the ripple effects on other games on the eshop charts, I’m sure that’s in part due to people buying totk with a voucher pair.

Between Mario movie , and Zelda Totk those two properties generated at least 2 billion dollars in revenue from April 5 and May 12 or just over a 30 days. Not counting back catalog sales from renewed interest in both franchises and resulting hardware sales

- "Please get out."
I really strongly suspect that if there's a Zelda movie you'll hear stylised covers of licensed songs like bardcore stuff or when they put a 'traditional version' of a k-pop song in Alchemy of Souls. You will see a Link training montage to something resembling Whitesnake.

My forecast:
17m - 20m by the end of the June Q
Push 25m by the end of Dec Q

So we are looking at ~80% of BotW #s in 7 months

I don’t have a history to link to show my logic, but I recall that FW sales tend to equal 50%-70% of first quarter sales. The word of mouth is off the charts so I assume we will be on the lower end of it…hence 17m-20m forecast.

Another 5m over the next 2 quarters doesn’t seem aggressive either.

It would be interesting if it gets very close to 30m LTD. I can’t recall an example of ANY sequel getting close to the 1st game. Galaxy didn’t come close, Majora’s didn’t come close.

So incredibly well deserved. Been slowly making my way through the story as I enjoy the world they've crafted. It's quickly cemented itself as a top 5 Switch game for me already. And honestly, I think I'm enjoying it more than BoTW. I'm not the most creative person when it comes to crafting, but somehow I'm able to be creative here.

Back
Top Bottom