• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails |ST| All Adventurers Welcome!

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Welcome to the ST for The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails! Anyone can jump into this game with no prior Trails experience as it is essentially a spinoff divorced from the main story with new characters in a setting removed from the main continent of Zemuria. Whether it has any tie ins at all besides the main character’s last name I can’t say 100% without playing (I have some guesses), but given its original release date back on PSP 11 years ago, that I’ve played the five games both before and after it, and with the knowledge I do have of Nayuta, I feel very safe in saying anyone is good to dive in here.

Nayuta is an action RPG like Falcom’s Ys series and a decade later is being brought to Switch, PS4, and PC! Falcom actually handled the Switch port themselves so it offers 60 FPS action like the other versions! The story of Boundless Trails centers around Nayuta Herschel, a young man who lives on an island, enjoys stargazing, and yearns for adventure beyond the horizon. One day as stars and ruins fall from the sky, Nayuta meets a young fairy named Noi and begins his adventure with her into new worlds.

FEATURES

This new version of Nayuta is a major upgrade from the PSP original – HD Visuals, a higher quality soundtrack, new illustrations, and 60FPS action gameplay on all platforms.

Seasons affect your abilities (including unique seasonal magic) and alter the puzzles and routes in each area.

Stronger emphasis on a fantasy adventure than the main Trails games.

A large amount of side quest content with a focus on remix stages. New Game+ has more remix levels!

There’s an Animal Crossing-like museum! It’s very cool!

RESOURCES

The Introduction and Story Trailers here provide a solid look of what to expect for Nayuta and are worth watching if you are unfamiliar.

We also have a handful of other Trails STs on Fami now! Here’s the quick list plus a link to the RPGs ST which is a great place to ask questions on the greater series! If you wanted some basic information on Trails, my unofficial Zero ST has an excellent overview for the OP!

Trails From Zero (unofficial ST)
Trails To Azure ST
Trails Into Reverie ST
RPGs ST

FOR ADVENTURE!

It’s been a very long road to get to this point, but whether you are a Trails fan or not, let’s all enjoy the last missing Trails game in the West together!

big trails fans here. so this takes place in like a different continent to Zemuria or something?
There’s not a lot of prerelease info to work with here from NISA’s end which is frustrating and what’s there lacks detail (which is why my OP is extra short), but from what I have gathered including brief looks at wikis, the game takes place on an island or chain of islands somewhere beyond Zemuria and minor, I’m guessing immediate premise spoilers, to the extent they have a different culture entirely and don’t even know Zemuria exists. IIRC, I’ve read in the past this game takes place before the main series as well.

Thank you for making the ST!
I believe this comes out on Friday in Europe so I have a little more time to keep pushing through barriers in Azure before this comes out. I will be picking it up as I am curious about it and it sounds interesting in its own right

Nayuta hype!

Sad to see a lot of the Trails fanbase being so dismissive of this entry though, by all accounts it's a really good game.

Also there are a lot of reviews now

Another great Trails ST, xghost! Nayuta's release has really snuck up on me.

I actually played a little bit of this 1-2 years ago, but quickly realized that RPGs in Japanese are very difficult to read. I still enjoyed the characters (from what I understood), the music, and the overall vibes. I'm looking forward to fully experiencing it soon! I want to track down a physical copy, which will likely make me late for release day -- which is tomorrow in the USA? I feel like I have to dig a bit every time I look up this game's release date, haha.

Waiting till Wednesday for my copy to arrive from Amazon. This isn't a stop everything and play like a mainline Trails, but I'll play it sooner then later.

Wanted to give some first impressions a smidge over an hour in. First I really like the way this game looks so far! Nayuta looks like the Sky and Zero Trails games, but with a more cartoony and 3D feel that feels just right. Given it was formerly a PSP game, the 3D character models look good and are expressive enough too. I haven’t encountered much combat / gameplay yet, but the controls feel snappy and smooth. I’m curious how it’ll last, but like a main Trails game there’s been a lot more story / conversations so far compared to the more breezy Ys games. So yeah good start so far! Excited to play more soon!

My copy arrived during lunch, will start it after I finished Chained Echoes (I'm neat end game of CE).

My copy has arrived but I probably won't start until the weekend. Looking forward to recording my progress here as I go!

Finished the prologue and this game gives off BIG designed for portable energy during the dawn of the smartphone era. The stages and 3 star system giving me flash backs to early iphone gaming.

Finished the prologue and this game gives off BIG designed for portable energy during the dawn of the smartphone era. The stages and 3 star system giving me flash backs to early iphone gaming.
Along similar lines, I liked at the start of the game when it gave a big shoutout to "look achievements!" lol

I finished chapter 1 so I feel like I have a better feel for Nayuta now. The short stages are breezy fun and I like the big circular chainsaw magic projectile I have now to mix up combat with. At least so far, this is on the easier side for a Falcom action RPG and engaging with equipment (which I love is visible on your characters) means damage so far is a joke (that doesn’t make me less bitter though when some dude on a ledge somehow absurdly hits me with a punch like ten feet above me though lol). Curious to see how the difficulty evolves as I keep going as I’m barely getting started. I did enjoy the end of chapter boss fight as it was more involved than I was expecting. Definitely has me intrigued for the potential of future bosses. My favorite surprise in this stretch was unlocking the museum in town as it is an Animal Crossing style museum! I had no idea that was in the game!

I did unlock shifting seasons as I ended today which I was curious how that worked. Planning to pick that up tomorrow with my first stage there. I’m excited I’m largely all in on Nayuta now as I finally finished Rain Code yesterday so I should make steady progress now.

Actually one last cool thing, I had no idea the soundtrack with the physical edition came with 60 songs! I was only expecting five when I first saw the card in the box. What a cool bonus!

The shopkeepers in this game are... eager to close the sale. It's actually distracting how much they move while you're shopping.

I’m halfway through Chapter 3 so I’m making good progress. I’m enjoying Nayuta, but I’m not too into playing variations of old stages too much and there are seemingly four versions of each main level as well side quests that can drag you back into them. I’ve been playing the game so far like I’m going to 100% it, though I’ll see where I’m at when the main story concludes. I currently have 25% of the stars so far which makes sense.

My favorite levels so far have been the temple levels as they are engaging gauntlets that conclude with cool boss battles. I also just enjoyed the first level of the third continent that I actually died on as I wasn’t taking it seriously at the start. Glad the game has some bite now as I was previously worried there.

I’m halfway through Chapter 3 so I’m making good progress. I’m enjoying Nayuta, but I’m not too into playing variations of old stages too much and there are seemingly four versions of each main level as well side quests that can drag you back into them. I’ve been playing the game so far like I’m going to 100% it, though I’ll see where I’m at when the main story concludes. I currently have 25% of the stars so far which makes sense.

My favorite levels so far have been the temple levels as they are engaging gauntlets that conclude with cool boss battles. I also just enjoyed the first level of the third continent that I actually died on as I wasn’t taking it seriously at the start. Glad the game has some bite now as I was previously worried there.
As a warning, you can not 100% the game on a new save. There are side quests and stages that are NG+ only.

As for the variation of old stages thing, that's a mechanic that made more sense on a portable system. Pull out the game, clear a level or two, put the system back in your pocket/bag. It's worked well for me playing the game on Switch cause it fits how I use my Switch, people who got this for ps4/5/pc I can imagine the burnout becoming real replay the same content over and over.

As a warning, you can not 100% the game on a new save. There are side quests and stages that are NG+ only.

As for the variation of old stages thing, that's a mechanic that made more sense on a portable system. Pull out the game, clear a level or two, put the system back in your pocket/bag. It's worked well for me playing the game on Switch cause it fits how I use my Switch, people who got this for ps4/5/pc I can imagine the burnout becoming real replay the same content over and over.
Appreciate the info on the structure! I play my Switch primarily docked, but I haven’t been able to play too much in each session so it’s kind of working out there. I’ll be skipping New Game+ for sure, so if I start feeling some true burnout I’ll feel good to change my approach then.

I finished the prologue and a couple levels in chapter 1. I think this might turn into a good weeknight game where I can clear a few levels before going to bed. Unlike mainline Trails games, Nayuta doesn't seem like the best fit for longer play sessions.

It will be interesting to see how the story develops as I get further into it. Even though it's a spin-off, I'm still noticing some good Trails worldbuilding. Looking forward to playing more later!

Started this game yesterday and where has this game been all this time. It´s perfect for me. I really like the short levels and how they change with the seasons, just make me for the "ok one more level". Not gonna lie, this is more of what I expected from Ys when it went fully 3d, it feels to me more of a progression from Ys origins (which is my favorite one and technically is also separated by levels). There's a lot going when fightihg the bosses, there are some great action pieces here, and for a psp game some of the backgrounds are gorgeous like the

Astrolabel

Qswrcfg.jpg

Finally, started chapter 3 and not gonna lie Erisslete design caught me off guard, but then checked the game released in 2012 and I was like "yeah, make sense now"

Started this game yesterday and where has this game been all this time. It´s perfect for me. I really like the short levels and how they change with the seasons, just make me for the "ok one more level". Not gonna lie, this is more of what I expected from Ys when it went fully 3d, it feels to me more of a progression from Ys origins (which is my favorite one and technically is also separated by levels). There's a lot going when fightihg the bosses, there are some great action pieces here, and for a psp game some of the backgrounds are gorgeous like the

Astrolabel

Qswrcfg.jpg

Finally, started chapter 3 and not gonna lie Erisslete design caught me off guard, but then checked the game released in 2012 and I was like "yeah, make sense now"
Are you implying Falcom wouldn't made a character like that in 2023?

Are you implying Falcom wouldn't made a character like that in 2023?
one? no, multiple ones. It's falcom so I always expect a half naked warrior/witch/assasin

But really, since they took the effort to add the black shadow under the ladies and Noi's dress I was expecting something like a mermaid

Having the most expensive sword in chapter 3 transforms a stiff challenge into a slaughter. +100 strength was double damage at that point lol. I’m still wrapping up cutscenes, but chapter 3 was definitely my favorite set of levels so far.

Having the most expensive sword in chapter 3 transforms a stiff challenge into a slaughter. +100 strength was double damage at that point lol. I’m still wrapping up cutscenes, but chapter 3 was definitely my favorite set of levels so far.
That temple was very good. And yeah I just started chapter 5 and that weapon goes a long way even though I actually bought in chapter 4 because I forgot you have to give the ore to the blacksmith, adn still haven't found anything with better damage

Money is weird because for awhile it felt pretty tight, until suddenly I had almost 100k with nothing to buy.

It's like the expect you to buy the expensive ingredients in the store, which makes sense because it's the fastest way to level up, but if you don't use the food then you start racking those crystals

It's like the expect you to buy the expensive ingredients in the store, which makes sense because it's the fastest way to level up, but if you don't use the food then you start racking those crystals
If I dumped all my money into food and ate like crazy I'd be comically over leveled. I can only think of 1-2 times I needed to meal grind to get back to the minimum level recommendation.

If I dumped all my money into food and ate like crazy I'd be comically over leveled. I can only think of 1-2 times I needed to meal grind to get back to the minimum level recommendation.
Yeah same for me, I only do it when I want to close the gap of the recommended level and to get more food boxes

There's a NPC named "Bootie" and it's cracking me up.

As for the game itself...it's pretty good! I'll probably post more detailed impressions later, but for now i'll say i really like how you can have brief 30 or 40 min. sessions and still manage to achieve some meaningful progression even in that short of a time.

It's a PSP game through and through and it shows (this is a positive btw).

I'm playing it to review as well so getting near the end, it's a decent little game. The comparisons to Ys Origins are pretty spot on, though I enjoyed that one a bit more. Find the combat can get a bit frustrating as I can't tell when or what is going to hit me, but then it's also easy enough that it doesn't really matter. Really tight gameplay loop, nice and respectful of player time. Obviously not changing anyone's life but it's solid.

I do think it's silly you can easily grind magic by enter a stage, casting all your spells at nothing, leave the stage, repeat for full credit.

I do think it's silly you can easily grind magic by enter a stage, casting all your spells at nothing, leave the stage, repeat for full credit.
That’s funny. I’ve been sticking with the same spells throughout (spring chainsaw blades, the exploding sun one, and now a winter homing icicle attack), but that’s a good way to try out new ones and see if they fit.

That’s funny. I’ve been sticking with the same spells throughout (spring chainsaw blades, the exploding sun one, and now a winter homing icicle attack), but that’s a good way to try out new ones and see if they fit.
Ice Nova (the second spell tied to a side quest) is broken You can completely skip entire boss phases with a single cast

Ice Nova (the second spell tied to a side quest) is broken You can completely skip entire boss phases with a single cast
Ooh I haven’t tried that one yet, when I’m free tonight I’ll give it a whirl. I figured all of the quest ones were OP based off the exploding sun being so good already (it obliterates mini bosses entirely).

I've been leveling all spells normally since one achievement is to kill 1000 enemies with arts, an yeah ice nova is really broken. My favorite one has been the poison one and the leafs

The real problem with the magic system is with a few exceptions, spells have a linear power scale which kinda defeats the purpose of letting you choose so many. Why would I ever choose Plum Shot (10 power 28 stock) when I could pick Bullet Bee (50 power 35 stock)? Only the 4 side quest spells actually feel like they were balanced around different situations
Sol Erase for stronger normal enemies who resist status, white nova for everything lol enemies you want to deal a lot of physical damage to, grand terror for large groups weak to status, and gospel bloom for enemies you want to deal a lot of magic damage to

The real problem with the magic system is with a few exceptions, spells have a linear power scale which kinda defeats the purpose of letting you choose so many. Why would I ever choose Plum Shot (10 power 28 stock) when I could pick Bullet Bee (50 power 35 stock)? Only the 4 side quest spells actually feel like they were balanced around different situations
Sol Erase for stronger normal enemies who resist status, white nova for everything lol enemies you want to deal a lot of physical damage to, grand terror for large groups weak to status, and gospel bloom for enemies you want to deal a lot of magic damage to
I was thinking the same and the only real use I found for the weaker spell was to rack combos safely. I just reached 200+ chain thanks to the plum shot

Started chapter 6 and god damn, all the levels from Helliograd and Lexendria has been some of the best one I've played in a long time. How they integrated for you to use an specific gear ability was very creative. Also something we haven't mentioned but the OST is also a banger. I thought the temple track was already a 10/10 but then Helliograd track turned to 11/10

I was thinking the same and the only real use I found for the weaker spell was to rack combos safely. I just reached 200+ chain thanks to the plum shot

Started chapter 6 and god damn, all the levels from Helliograd and Lexendria has been some of the best one I've played in a long time. How they integrated for you to use an specific gear ability was very creative. Also something we haven't mentioned but the OST is also a banger. I thought the temple track was already a 10/10 but then Helliograd track turned to 11/10
Easiest way I found to get 200 chain was a specific late game enemy who is really slow and has only a few predictable attacks. Just stood their and guarded over and over. Also got me the guard 100 achievement as well.

Easiest way I found to get 200 chain was a specific late game enemy who is really slow and has only a few predictable attacks. Just stood their and guarded over and over. Also got me the guard 100 achievement as well.
Yeah I know which one but found out to late. I already had the achievement at the end of ch 4. Also since I had to rerun a lot of levels to find out which one I could use for that also got the one for clearing 50 stages

Rolled credits

Really solid game, probably going to become my go to recommendation for when people want a taste of what Falcom has to offer. That title had been Ys Oath In Felghana, but this game is a lot more accessible and lets people get a taste of that sweet NPC/world building along with the strong Ys action gameplay.

Let me try this again

I have now actually rolled credits. Was not expecting to get Dragon Quest 11'd. Not sure if I'm going to bother with ng+ even though there is obviously new content there.

Let me try this again

I have now actually rolled credits. Was not expecting to get Dragon Quest 11'd. Not sure if I'm going to bother with ng+ even though there is obviously new content there.
Ooh hearing that comparison for the post game stuff is exciting! My own playthrough has sadly stalled this week as I’ve been super busy on multiple fronts (and still will be for a few days seemingly 🙃), but I’m really looking forward to picking up my playthrough when I can.

Finished the main story and working on the post chapter, but unlike DQ11 I'm really happy to play this extra one lol. Those last bosses were also top Falcom and honestly all the story here is also very well developed. Gonna finish this on the weekend

Finally picking up my playthrough after a few unexpected back to back days where I had both no time and energy for games. Just wrapped up chapter 4! That was a cool boss fight. I’ve been avoiding using health items for boss battles so it took me a few tries to learn the patterns. The second form when it would stomp in a circle was the worst as it could ping pong you a bit. Figured the general gist of where the story would head here, but it still was fun to see it play out. I also figured we’d be heading upwards in Chapter 5 and I’m very down for that.

Edit - Done with Chapter 5 and just made it back to the world map in Chapter 6. If I don’t get interrupted tonight, I’d like to finish the main adventure. There’s a lot of familiar story beats in this game, but I am enjoying the story and want to see what I imagine will be a happy enough ending.

Edit 2 - Made it to the Final Chapter. Surprising events there that make me more curious than ever how this game connects to the main Trails series. I probably won’t finish it tonight after all, but I’m glad I’m getting close. I did commit tonight to doing everything in the main playthrough (as many stars as possible and all side quests) so I do have a little bit left before the end.

Last edited:
I rolled credits earlier and have begun the post game. I think I would have been satisfied on the gameplay front to walk away at credits as the final set of levels were all quite exciting in a way I don’t think the post game will live up to, but even so I’m eager to see this adventure fully through and get my 100% here (all stars) minus New Game+.

The time skip is cool for an epilogue even if the characters haven’t changed too much. I’m excited to see if we get any connection to mainline Trails. I did see the name Bell listed in the credits and I don’t think I’ve seen a different Bell yet…

My big theory with the hole in the planet is that it didn’t blow up per se, but instead split off from the world and that’s where Zemuria is. Though I’m not sure if that fits the lore with characters like:

McBurn

Alternately, the flyover of the planet showed Zemuria and I didn’t recognize it which I don’t think was the case.

I rolled credits earlier and have begun the post game. I think I would have been satisfied on the gameplay front to walk away at credits as the final set of levels were all quite exciting in a way I don’t think the post game will live up to, but even so I’m eager to see this adventure fully through and get my 100% here (all stars) minus New Game+.

The time skip is cool for an epilogue even if the characters haven’t changed too much. I’m excited to see if we get any connection to mainline Trails. I did see the name Bell listed in the credits and I don’t think I’ve seen a different Bell yet…

My big theory with the hole in the planet is that it didn’t blow up per se, but instead split off from the world and that’s where Zemuria is. Though I’m not sure if that fits the lore with characters like:

McBurn

Alternately, the flyover of the planet showed Zemuria and I didn’t recognize it which I don’t think was the case.
Lore thoughts

It would make a lot of sense for the continent of Zeumeria to be the chunk of Earth that was "destroyed" during the Mythos backstory. We know Zeumeria is slowly dying, and if the grandmaster is a member of Mythos it would explain how she's been around for so long and how she's been able to convince people to join her side. Perhaps the GM used some kind of Mythos tech to teleport away the land of Zeumeria and keep it in some kind of alternate reality suspended animation, hence why no one is able to leave (there is nothing beyond the edge of the world). Would also explain why Ouroboros has all their plans, maybe the sept terrions are the anchors that keep the world chained, and with the gas holding Zeumeria together running out, it's time for them to die so that this land can return to Earth with Re-Genesis having been completed. The GM could be the mother of Cynga and Creha hence the similar appearance, or an ai like Noi designed to watch over the land.

Really the only thing that hurts this theory is that there's never any dialogue in Nayuta that links the ancient Mythos tech to Orbal gear, and the design of the things we see doesn't feel powered by Orbal energy when compared to the tons of ancient tech we see in Zeumeria. Zeumeria itself also seems to have too much history for it to have only existed in the pocket space for 500 years, though I suppose time in the pocket dimension could travel faster then it does on Earth.

Back
Top Bottom