• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Trails Into Reverie |ST| Listen Up Class Fami! We're Facing Down Our Biggest Adventure Yet!

xghost777

Magical Girls <3 #TeamJRPG #TrustTheProcess
Hello! Welcome to the Trails Into Reverie ST. Reverie is the 10th game in the Trails saga and is a direct sequel to all nine prior games! At absolute bare minimum, you should have played at least Cold Steel III and IV before playing this game, second best is playing all of the Crossbell and Cold Steel games, and most ideally you’ve played all prior nine. If you are interested in learning more about the Trails series, please check out either my unofficial Trails From Zero ST or feel free to ask questions in the general RPG ST! We have a small, but passionate group of Trails fans on Fami!

Following this paragraph and the opening movie, an open spoiler policy will be in effect for the series aside from revealing the central villains of Sky and Zero while a very strict spoiler tag policy will be in effect for Reverie itself. If you have played at least Cold Steel III and IV, the most direct predecessors to Reverie, all of the other biggest beats of the series are covered in those games that work to establish the premise of this game. If we need to revisit this policy, please let me know in the thread and I’ll update the OP, but I believe we should be good here.

It has been a long wait for Trails Into Reverie to make its Western debut, but here we finally are! I’m so excited to dive into and explore this game together for the first time alongside you Fami! As such a big part of Trails games is discovering the story, I won’t be sharing more here than a basic, more mechanical premise for what this game is. Trails Into Reverie takes place following the end of the war depicted in Cold Steel IV and follows three groups of characters. One story follows Rean Schwarzer the hero of the Cold Steel games, another follows Lloyd Bannings from the Crossbell games, and another follows a new(?) masked character named C. In the new Trails To Walk system, you can bounce between the three parties in each chapter freely. Trails Into Reverie is releasing on PC, PS5, PS4, and Switch. Beyond any performance differences, the PS4 version is interesting in that it has an exclusive PSVR mode where you can hang out with characters on a beach.

NEW FEATURES

Trails To Walk – Freely bounce between the three stories in each chapter until you have cleared all events. Then you can advance to the next chapter!

United Fronts – When you have five to ten(!) party members, spend your Assault Gauge (AG) to use United Attacks, United Arts, and United Heals. More people, more power!

True Reverie Corridor – Tackle a massive, randomly generated dungeon using characters from all three routes! There are massive character growth opportunities possible from this dungeon and the benefits extend to the main story! Like Sky The 3rd, there are character stories, minigames, and new party members to unlock here too!

New Minigames – Included here are a 3D rail shooter, a quiz game, beach activities and dating, and a real time mech combat game. Also, Vantage Master returns from Cold Steel III and IV!

Sky Characters Return – I’m not sure in what capacity, but Sky characters return in Reverie! This is the conclusion of the Western Zemuria saga!

More Wazy Hemisphere – Heck yeah Wazy is here!

OTHER RESOURCES

Like my previous Trails ST, I have a few other resources I’d like to include. This time I plan to include three of them. First is a chronology of the series including the platforms for the Western releases that I wrote up for the Azure ST.

Trails in the Sky – PSP/Vita, PC
Trails in the Sky SC – PSP/Vita, PC
Trails in the Sky The Third – PC
Trails From Zero – Switch, PC, PS4
Trails To Azure – Switch, PC, PS4
Trails of Cold Steel – Vita, PS3, PS4, PC
Trails of Cold Steel II – Vita, PS3, PS4, PC
Trails of Cold Steel Northern War – Anime on Crunchyroll
Trails of Cold Steel III – PS4, Switch, PC
Trails of Cold Steel IV – PS4, Switch, PC
Trails Into Reverie – PS4, PS5, Switch, PC
Spinoff - The Legend of Nayuta Boundless Trails – Switch, PS4, PC (Coming September 19 2023)
Kuro No Kiseki – Japan Only For Now, Will Come Over
Kuro No Kiseki II – Japan Only For Now, Will Come Over

To be thorough, there is a Trails in the Sky OVA collection called Trails in the Sky Complete. It doesn't follow the games exactly and is weirdly best seen after Trails From Zero. It did get a Blu Ray release here so maybe you can track down a copy if you are interested. It is not great, but is ok enough for what it is. Also, while the Northern War anime takes place between Cold Steel II and III, that only came out this year and is in no way required viewing for Reverie. I won’t recommend it too highly, but there is at least one cool thing in it however and it does expand the Trails world by depicting Northern Ambria if you are interested.

My second resource for this thread is a link to the III & IX stories on NISA’s website. If you haven’t read them before, I highly recommend reading these before you play Reverie! Also, if you have read them before, they added some pictures to go along with the story. Fancy!

My third resource is the guide I used while playing Trails Into Reverie! While there are significantly less missables due to the new game structure and none of them are terribly mean by series standards, I still found it helpful to make sure I saw everything I wanted to see and made sure I got everything I wanted to collect. The guide I used is easy to navigate, but quite dry, so that's a little unfortunate. I only ended up missing three chests since I wasn't glued to it, so I'm happy how it worked out enough to recommend it.

TRAILS OF NEW BEGINNINGS

This is it! Our potential last big adventure with the Sky, Crossbell, and Cold Steel crews are about to begin. It’s time to look forward, dive into Reverie, and emerge with a better sense of what the future will be of this epic, one of a kind series. Let’s have a good time together Fami :)

Have already played the Asia version so won't be replaying it again. Just want to say that this game is a return to form after CSIV.

figured I might as well link this here since I plan on using it myself, someone on reddit made a guide on good times to swap between the different routes for optimal story pacing

it's all spoiler tagged so the idea is to reveal the next one when you run into a block and swap to that

Cant wait! My copy arrives next week (maybe?), and I just started CS4 so Ill see everyone later lol.

The art style of Zero and Azure look very appealing, and I think I'd like to play them both at some point. They're on my wishlist to check out one day far off after Persona 5 Royal and Tears of the Kingdom are distant memories lol. If I end up liking those, is the gameplay pretty similar in Reverie or does it change over time like the art style?

The art style of Zero and Azure look very appealing, and I think I'd like to play them both at some point. They're on my wishlist to check out one day far off after Persona 5 Royal and Tears of the Kingdom are distant memories lol. If I end up liking those, is the gameplay pretty similar in Reverie or does it change over time like the art style?

it's mostly pretty similar

probably the biggest difference would be how the quartz system is handled(essentially items that you equip that is where spells come from that can also give you stat boosts)

the Sky games and Zero/Azure had something like this where the quartz also gave you a certain amount of elemental points and you had to have say(just made up numbers off the top of my head) 3 water to unlock a specific healing spell or 3 fire to unlock a specific attack spell

6puq1cnsico41.png

the Cold Steel games and beyond meanwhile simplify things by doing away with the elemental points thing and having specific spells be unlocked by having a specific quartz equipped instead, for example the "Tearal" spell in this screenshot you have just by having that quartz equipped instead of having say 6 water elemental points:

maxresdefault.jpg

the combat system itself is mostly the same other than having differing balancing and subsystems

I’m staying out of here for spoilers but great ST! Looking forward to impressions from people playing it. A capstone game of this magnitude is kind of amazing

Great work @xghost777 ! I'm still busy with Zelda, so I can't start right away. But I do my best to finish that soon.

One last time with Rean, Class VII and Lloyd and the SSS 🥲

Great work @xghost777 ! I'm still busy with Zelda, so I can't start right away. But I do my best to finish that soon.

One last time with Rean, Class VII and Lloyd and the SSS 🥲
Thanks! I’ve had no email so far my game is shipping with NISA’s store overhaul debacle…so who knows when I’ll get to start myself haha. Hopefully soon!

I just got my copy and it is currently loading onto my PS5. It looks like some people won't be able to play the game immediately, but I look forward to discussing it once we all have the time!

When Kuro comes to the west, I'll look into pre-ordering limited editions directly from NISA earlier. They still had some for Reverie in stock back in December, but I was like "ehhh, maybe later" -- then, by the time I decided I would go for it, they were out of stock. Since I wasn't fully committed in the first place, I'm not bothered by it. I'll get 'em next time!

figured I might as well link this here since I plan on using it myself, someone on reddit made a guide on good times to swap between the different routes for optimal story pacing

it's all spoiler tagged so the idea is to reveal the next one when you run into a block and swap to that

Thanks for this, took a screen cap of the whole chart so I'll have access to it at all times.

stopped for now right after starting chapter 1 but a few random comments after playing through the prologue:

so much nostalgia just seeing all the characters that haven't been around since Azure or even something like the cemetary area for the first time in 3d

couple nice qol things like having a description of what an item you just got from a chest does and the weakness indicator when selecting spells

I like the voice change for KeA, her voice in Cold Steel 4 kinda annoyed me and this one doesn't

For anyone like me caught in the NISA store debacle, they did give a “we are working on it” update. Some people also got hit by old orders asking for payment again. No update for them since last week when this started.

Hope to join you all as soon as possible! I did get a Switch copy, but I’m waiting for my PS5 LE to start playing!

just had a moment where I was being told about some ambassadors coming to Crossbell and remembered them from literally 9 games ago

it's little things like that that remind me why I keep coming back to this series, you just can't find continuity like that anywhere else

So uh that wasn't a good start, Switch version crashed randomly when I moved to another screen during the prologue. All progress lost :/

So uh that wasn't a good start, Switch version crashed randomly when I moved to another screen during the prologue. All progress lost :/
Sorry to hear that. I played CS3 & CS4 on switch, and while it was fine overall, random glitches and slowdowns are what made me decide to get Reverie on PS5. I hope you're able to enjoy the game without any more interruptions!

Sorry to hear that. I played CS3 & CS4 on switch, and while it was fine overall, random glitches and slowdowns are what made me decide to get Reverie on PS5. I hope you're able to enjoy the game without any more interruptions!

Oof :( That’s a huge bummer. Hopefully it’s smoother sailing from here on out.
Playing portably is the only way I'll ever finish these games haha.

And I've had no issue since, thankfully the "skip all" feature meant it only took a few minutes to get back to where I crashed.

For anyone like me caught in the NISA store debacle, they did give a “we are working on it” update. Some people also got hit by old orders asking for payment again. No update for them since last week when this started.

Hope to join you all as soon as possible! I did get a Switch copy, but I’m waiting for my PS5 LE to start playing!

Friend of mine also ordered the PS5 LE and his order status is also in limbo. He leaves for a trip later next week, here's hoping he gets it before then!
As for myself, I've played the Japanese version, so I'll get around to playing the English version when I get around to it. Probably after I finish FFXVI.

Finished the first part of Lloyd's story and I have a few thoughts

1) I was wondering why the assault gauge seemed to fill so fast, and then I discovered why :p I still think they put way too many boxes in the dungeon areas where you can basically do triple advantage into a united front and never be worried about running out of guage.

2) It was nice fully seeing Crossbell again from the SSS's perspective. Helps to contrast how we saw it as Rean and co in the CS titles.

3) Clearly someone who does the animations at Falcom agrees with Rex
Noel's run animation is absolutely ridiculous and feels like it was done to 100% make her "shorts" "pop out" or however he worded it.

Finished Lloyd's chapter 1 last night. It was great to see the Crossbell gang again! Besides that, I will need to use the spoiler tag.

1. The prologue sequence was a nice tutorial. I last played CS4 in 2021, so I had to get used to everything for a bit, especially since the last 5 trails games I played were Sky FC through Azure.

2. The ending of the prologue, when the credits rolled and started glitching out, was definitely ominous. Not sure what to make of that, since I don't really have enough information. It looks like some weird things are happening, though.

3. Exploring Crossbell and catching up with so many minor characters from Zero/Azure was awesome.

4. Then we have the Independence Ceremony... of course it can never be easy. I'm not gonna lie; Rufus irritates me, and he has done so probably since CS2. Out of all the ironbloods, he's just the least likeable/relatable. I thought he finally learned his lesson at the end of CS4, but nope, back to his old tricks. These are just early impressions, though, so it's very possible that there are other forces at play influencing everyone. Garcia being on Rufus' team is odd, and Illya(?) being there is just not like her. We will see how this plays out.

5. Right before the chapter ends and cuts to black, it just felt like an Avengers: Infinity War kind of ending. The SSS straight up lost, even when this meant everything to them. I'm interested in seeing how the characters respond once I'm able to advance Lloyd's route.

Really enjoying the game, although the link attack bug is quite unfortunate and a bit annoying.
I wonder how long it will take for them to fix that? Was this a problem for the Japanese release years ago?

I remember in CS4 on switch specifically, the challenge chests for specific character combinations were completely bugged. If I recall, they didn't actually say which characters were needed for which chests. That was never fixed as far as I know. Hopefully this current issue with Reverie is widespread enough to prompt a patch.

I wonder how long it will take for them to fix that? Was this a problem for the Japanese release years ago?

I remember in CS4 on switch specifically, the challenge chests for specific character combinations were completely bugged. If I recall, they didn't actually say which characters were needed for which chests. That was never fixed as far as I know. Hopefully this current issue with Reverie is widespread enough to prompt a patch.
At least they are already aware. Durante will have fixed it soon.

image.png

So is there any reason to save your sealing stones in the reverie corridor? Or should I just burn them as quickly as I find them?

Some comments on a mid-chapter 2 boss

I just beat Cubelion, and I hated it. It has that meteor attack that inflicts faint and leaves everyone in the party with exactly 8 HP. My biggest problem with this fight was that it felt like a damage sponge, even more than other bosses. The other thing was that forcing Rean and Lloyd into the party took away spots from people who can actually do real damage to the thing.

I actually had to run away at first because I was barely damaging it. My first party had mostly people who specialize in physical attacks and crafts. I got Elie and Musse into the party to be my casters, but even then it still took a long time. I had to spend a lot of turns healing and using Elie's S-Craft after it used that meteor attack. It was just tedious. It feels like other bosses so far would work with multiple different party combinations, but this boss was just not flexible at all. Those types of fights annoy me because I had no way of knowing it would be like that beforehand.

I just beat Cubelion, and I hated it. It has that meteor attack that inflicts faint and leaves everyone in the party with exactly 8 HP. My biggest problem with this fight was that it felt like a damage sponge, even more than other bosses. The other thing was that forcing Rean and Lloyd into the party took away spots from people who can actually do real damage to the thing.

I actually had to run away at first because I was barely damaging it. My first party had mostly people who specialize in physical attacks and crafts. I got Elie and Musse into the party to be my casters, but even then it still took a long time. I had to spend a lot of turns healing and using Elie's S-Craft after it used that meteor attack. It was just tedious. It feels like other bosses so far would work with multiple different party combinations, but this boss was just not flexible at all. Those types of fights annoy me because I had no way of knowing it would be like that beforehand.

yeah I got to that boss last night and died a couple times and called it a night, I switched to a super defensive setup with both Elie and Musse for their healing crafts as well as Elliott in the reserve slot for his 30% healing+70% damage reduction brave order and it worked but even then it didn't really feel super clean

I've beaten it twice, since the boss gets such a massive delay after that attack, as long as you've got 1-2 characters equip with faint protection the fight is super free. Don't use a order to reduce damage taken, use an order to reduce delay/buff speed, use items to recover the faint/heal, then proceed to just wail on the boss

I haven't seen that much of them yet but playing C's route feels so confusing because it feels like I should hate these characters for their design and voices but the word choices they use when talking actually makes me like them

I just finished Act II.

I feel like they should've masked C's voice a little more heavily than they did. As soon as he spoke I immediately recognized his voice as that of D.C. Douglas, even with the distortion. And based on that I correctly guessed he was Rufus right off the bat.

I'm enjoying the game a lot so far though!

I've been binging this game, and I'm currently in the middle of Act 3. I could write a lot, but for now I will just say I like what I have seen from the daydream segments so far. They are the kind of character-specific moments that made Sky the 3rd so great. I have only unlocked two so far. I don't know if they are unlocked in a specific order, or if it's random, so use caution with the spoiler below!

The one where the crossbell gang fights mecha mishy was hilarious. I always enjoy it when they add in small, silly moments like that. The best part is for one of his attacks, he prepares by saying "time to make a wishy... with Mishy!"

Steam patch is out.

Hi everyone,

we've been quite busy over the past few days in order to be able to resolve some of the more important issues encountered in Trails into Reverie.

Here is a summary of the changes and fixes in version 1.0.3:
Fix some characters missing their link attacks.
Fix two separate instances of potential crashes on some systems in the Magical Girl Alisa minigame.
Disable AVX in order to support very old or lower-end CPUs.
Improve GPU-bound performance in VR by 20% or more by leveraging the hidden area mesh.
Fix the button prompt shown in the battle change tutorial (yes, we missed one).
Fix the alignment of the "Trails to Walk" HuD in ultrawide aspect ratios.
Fix the letterboxing of a specific subset of image-based story scenes in <16:9 resolutions.

My copy of Trails Into Reverie with the 1,000 piece puzzle finally arrived so I can finally join y’all playing! Yeah!!!

Finish Lloyd's chapter 3, tomorrow I'll finish C's before circling back to Rean. I'm hopelessly addicted.

Found a consistent crash on the PS4 version.

The game crashes after catching a Rainbow Trout at the Mainz Mountain Path fishing spot. Tried 3 times, it crashed every time. Really hope this fish isn’t missable.

EDIT: Searched around a bit, and it does seem this issue is only on the PS4 version. For anyone else who might run into this, though, there is a workaround: put the game in High-Speed Mode when catching the fish.

Last edited:
So how's the Switch port? Worth getting over playing on Steam Deck?
How did you feel about the Switch ports of CS3/4? If you were fine with those you'll probably be fine with Reverie on Switch. You'll lose your carry over data if you move to SD, though I've heard the game runs better on SD.

There are A LOT of playable characters in this game, but I'm having fun trying to build a super team in the reverie corridor. I may have some very overpowered characters by the time I actually finish the main story.

Anyone ordered the game through amazon? My order said that it would arrive from the 12-18 July.
Given the shipping issues NISA had I expected this. So today it says that it will arrive by Tuesday, we shall see lol.

Finally started this tonight and I’m two hours in! Feels surreal to finally be back in Crossbell in 3D since after playing Cold Steel IV I played Azure for the first time with the Geofront release and then I replayed both Zero and Azure with the official releases. I remember Cold Steel III and IV looking pretty solid, but Reverie on PS5 looks even sharper than I remember for the most part. This would be a ridiculous feature, but I kind of wish I could have the Japanese dub for the Crossbell characters and the English dub for everyone else haha. Some of the characters having lighter or heavier voices in the English dub vs the Japanese dub is throwing me off quite a bit lol.

I’m at the point of no return in Final Fantasy XVI so I’m going to hopefully wrap that up either later today or tomorrow and then I’m going all in on Reverie. So excited to go on this last big adventure with everyone!

Finally started this tonight and I’m two hours in! Feels surreal to finally be back in Crossbell in 3D since after playing Cold Steel IV I played Azure for the first time with the Geofront release and then I replayed both Zero and Azure with the official releases. I remember Cold Steel III and IV looking pretty solid, but Reverie on PS5 looks even sharper than I remember for the most part. This would be a ridiculous feature, but I kind of wish I could have the Japanese dub for the Crossbell characters and the English dub for everyone else haha. Some of the characters having lighter or heavier voices in the English dub vs the Japanese dub is throwing me off quite a bit lol.

I’m at the point of no return in Final Fantasy XVI so I’m going to hopefully wrap that up either later today or tomorrow and then I’m going all in on Reverie. So excited to go on this last big adventure with everyone!
I also reached a point of no return on FF16, and that was "do I bother trying to finish this", as of right now the answer is no. Playing both Diablo 4 and Reverie after FF16 just further confirms why I bounced of FF16 so hard.

I also reached a point of no return on FF16, and that was "do I bother trying to finish this", as of right now the answer is no. Playing both Diablo 4 and Reverie after FF16 just further confirms why I bounced of FF16 so hard.
I enjoyed FF16 for the most part, I like the combat and the Hideaway characters, and I adore the Asura’s Wrath-like Eikon fights, but the tonal shift in the back half has been draining :/ Ultima stinks I’ll definitely post detailed thoughts in the ST and main RPG thread when I beat it. Not the best spot for a game to be in where I feel too much of my final opinion is riding on whether the very final stretch delivers or not haha.

I'm proud of how far I've come in Pom Pom Party. I really sucked at it in CS4 and quit, but I stuck with it in Azure and started getting better. Now in Reverie, I've beaten over half of the available opponents. It's a perfect mini game for when I don't want to start the next story segment, but still have some time before going to bed.

I'm proud of how far I've come in Pom Pom Party. I really sucked at it in CS4 and quit, but I stuck with it in Azure and started getting better. Now in Reverie, I've beaten over half of the available opponents. It's a perfect mini game for when I don't want to start the next story segment, but still have some time before going to bed.
At least there is strategy in PPP, and you can get good at it.

I have no idea how you're supposed to get S rank on these banana boat courses. The controls are just awful and there seem to be flags that nothing you do gets you over to them in time.

I finished FFXVI yesterday so I’m really diving into Reverie now. I just did my first sweep of Crossbell (minus some required events) and it’s so good to be back. Had plenty of welcome expected reunions and so many wonderful unexpected ones. My favorite of the latter perhaps was meeting Estelle and Joshua again right away and also the man who wore the Mishy costume for Mishelam and learning his son took over.

Have plenty of time to play more tonight so I’m going to get back to it :)

Cleared Lloyd’s route for Act 1 and nearly cleared all of Rean’s route for Act 1. Having a great time here. New Class VII is so absurdly powerful in comparison to the Crossbell crew lol. Just melting monsters left and right with Rean’s group. I appreciate they just let you pick your bonds from Cold Steel IV if your save didn’t transfer which I forgot to plan for ahead of time. (I googled how it worked vaguely)

Minor spoiler from the very first trailer - I knew how Lloyd’s Act 1 would end from the trailer with Rufus showing up, though I didn’t expect the details of the crew he assembled. I’m still wrapping up Rean’s Act 1 as I mentioned, though I’m intrigued with the big hooks for his story here. Very excited to finally start C’s route tomorrow and see what he is about. Beyond that very first trailer, I’ve largely gone out of my way to avoid info so this whole game is a big surprise for me which is exciting!

Cleared Lloyd’s route for Act 1 and nearly cleared all of Rean’s route for Act 1. Having a great time here. New Class VII is so absurdly powerful in comparison to the Crossbell crew lol. Just melting monsters left and right with Rean’s group. I appreciate they just let you pick your bonds from Cold Steel IV if your save didn’t transfer which I forgot to plan for ahead of time. (I googled how it worked vaguely)

Minor spoiler from the very first trailer - I knew how Lloyd’s Act 1 would end from the trailer with Rufus showing up, though I didn’t expect the details of the crew he assembled. I’m still wrapping up Rean’s Act 1 as I mentioned, though I’m intrigued with the big hooks for his story here. Very excited to finally start C’s route tomorrow and see what he is about. Beyond that very first trailer, I’ve largely gone out of my way to avoid info so this whole game is a big surprise for me which is exciting!
I do think it's kinda silly when the game lets you pick people you didn't actually bond with. As an example I had max bond with everyone but Emma from CS4, meaning I got a * and auto select for all of them, I just clicked Emma anyways because why not.

Back
Top Bottom