• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2023 |ST| Tears of the Keighdom

interspersing them is not only the point, it’s better for the games

like I hate TGA but juggling each kind of thing is absolutely the strategy that gets the most eyes on all things. chunks would destroy that. we’re only coming from one angle here, and we are already enthusiasts.
Splitting it all out would be a mistake - you'd just lose most viewers for the awards section and you lose eyes on some smaller games up for something that may benefit from attention. People will just show up for the trailers.

Also, you should absolutely keep indie titles in terms of trailers l. Variety is a good thing - you just need to be more selective overall. There were plenty of mid budget/higher budget titles in there that had me dozing off that could also do with being cut down.
I don’t mean splitting the game awards into three segments, I mean having three kinds of things happening during the awards. Probably worded that pretty weird LOL

At that point, why waste those kinds of resources like when you can just translate and release the game normally, rather than having a translator stand over a journalist's shoulder and read the game for them? It's a silly solution for a borderline nonexistent problem.
Although mainly an American centered event, they could certainly share the spotlight to the lesser known part of the market. Not an obligation, but certainly something they could strive to do

I know, I am saying absolutely nothing new here but I still wish that all gaming media would pump the brakes a bit and do these awards in mid to end January of next year.
January is still a time when not too much games are released, hence to cover. Journalists and gamers would be able to finish a few more games they missed over the holidays and have a more complete picture.

You can do all the fun outlook and prediction podcasts/specials for the upcoming year in December instead to fill the gaps/news drought.
Or even reminiscence on the current year and just recommend the personal best titles. But the awards should include everything from January 1st up until December 31st.

These awards right after the very release heavy fall just feel so so rushed.

Edit: I mean, I totally get it for this show on Thursday. It is in parts marketing for more Christmas sales.
But all the gaming news outlets don't have to follow that.

Last edited:
personally speaking I don't actually care about the awards and the announcements are the reason I watch so i'd absolutely stop watching if they leaned heavier on the awards aspect

I already resort to watching Keighley events via reaction streams as it is since I don't like the pacing so me watching them is already something of a tenuous proposition as it is

Swen Vincke shared his full speech on twitter would've been nice to hear this instead of more hollywood and kojima wank

What I wanted to say at the #gameawards (1/16)

Winning Game of the year is a great honor and I want to first thank everyone that voted for us and I want to congratulate all the other nominees. This has been an incredibly competitive year and you each would have deserved to win this award @CapcomUSA_ @remedygames @insomniacgames @NintendoAmerica (2/16)

@CapcomUSA_ @remedygames I want to thank @geoffkeighley and the people that organized the #gameawards for creating an award show so big that it gets mainstream attention. While 30 secs is a bit short , there's nothing like the game awards and it's an incredible achievement (3/16)

I wore armor at the #gameawards because BG3 is a game that couldn't exist without its our player community and I wanted to pay tribute to how important they've been for the development. You rock community BG3 (4/16)

Making a game like this only works if you have an incredible passionate and talented team and in that regard I am incredibly lucky with the @larianstudios – they are some of the finest and they did a truly amazing job (5/16)

Over 2000 people are listed in the credits and since I can't call out everyone, I want to focus on a group of people that don't always get the credit they deserve (6/16)

Team QA, team localisation, team customer support, team operations, team publishing, team play testers, and every other developer at Larian, BG3 wouldn't exist without you and you all deserve to be very proud of this (7/16)

I want to dedicate this award to the friends and family members we lost during development including Jim, our lead cinematic animator who passed away last month and personally to my father who passed away the week before we launched our early access campaign (8/16)

You don't get to make something like BG3 if you don't have the support from the people around you. Personally, I really want to thank 5 special people, a crazy dog and a one-eyed cat for sticking with me (9/16)

Big shout out also to our localization partners and @PitStopTweets who had to use every corner of their building to record and performance capture what was an insane number of lines(10/16)

To our actors – you did great. I hope our paths will cross again in the future and your agents will remain their usual reasonable selves :) (11/16)

I also want to thank @Wizards_DnD and specifically the DnD team for giving us carte blanche. I'm really sorry to hear so many of you were let go. It's a sad thing to realize that of the people who were in the original meeting room, there's almost nobody left. I hope you all end up well (12/16)

There are many more partners I want to thank. We asked much of you all, but you delivered and without your efforts, BG3 would not be what it is (13/16)

I want to end with a story of a conversation I had a long time ago with a publisher. He told me, luckily for them, games are driven by idealism. He meant it in an exploitative way but he was right (14/16)

Games are a unique art form, as important as books, music or movies. Many developers, myself included, make games because they love seeing others engage with their creations in a way only games can offer (15/16)

They don't care that much about the money made beyond it being the fuel they need to create new and better games. It's worth reminding everyone that fuel is but a means, not a goal. Whereto and how we journey are what matter and what we remember (16/16)
Thank you.

Also - BG3 is now out on @Xbox (17/16)

Edit: IGN also had a really good article called "The Game Awards Winner Speeches We Didn't Get to Hear" https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-winner-speeches-we-didnt-get-to-hear

Swen Vincke shared his full speech on twitter would've been nice to hear this instead of more hollywood and kojima wank

What I wanted to say at the #gameawards (1/16)

Winning Game of the year is a great honor and I want to first thank everyone that voted for us and I want to congratulate all the other nominees. This has been an incredibly competitive year and you each would have deserved to win this award @CapcomUSA_ @remedygames @insomniacgames @NintendoAmerica (2/16)

@CapcomUSA_ @remedygames I want to thank @geoffkeighley and the people that organized the #gameawards for creating an award show so big that it gets mainstream attention. While 30 secs is a bit short , there's nothing like the game awards and it's an incredible achievement (3/16)

I wore armor at the #gameawards because BG3 is a game that couldn't exist without its our player community and I wanted to pay tribute to how important they've been for the development. You rock community BG3 (4/16)

Making a game like this only works if you have an incredible passionate and talented team and in that regard I am incredibly lucky with the @larianstudios – they are some of the finest and they did a truly amazing job (5/16)

Over 2000 people are listed in the credits and since I can't call out everyone, I want to focus on a group of people that don't always get the credit they deserve (6/16)

Team QA, team localisation, team customer support, team operations, team publishing, team play testers, and every other developer at Larian, BG3 wouldn't exist without you and you all deserve to be very proud of this (7/16)

I want to dedicate this award to the friends and family members we lost during development including Jim, our lead cinematic animator who passed away last month and personally to my father who passed away the week before we launched our early access campaign (8/16)

You don't get to make something like BG3 if you don't have the support from the people around you. Personally, I really want to thank 5 special people, a crazy dog and a one-eyed cat for sticking with me (9/16)

Big shout out also to our localization partners and @PitStopTweets who had to use every corner of their building to record and performance capture what was an insane number of lines(10/16)

To our actors – you did great. I hope our paths will cross again in the future and your agents will remain their usual reasonable selves :) (11/16)

I also want to thank @Wizards_DnD and specifically the DnD team for giving us carte blanche. I'm really sorry to hear so many of you were let go. It's a sad thing to realize that of the people who were in the original meeting room, there's almost nobody left. I hope you all end up well (12/16)

There are many more partners I want to thank. We asked much of you all, but you delivered and without your efforts, BG3 would not be what it is (13/16)

I want to end with a story of a conversation I had a long time ago with a publisher. He told me, luckily for them, games are driven by idealism. He meant it in an exploitative way but he was right (14/16)

Games are a unique art form, as important as books, music or movies. Many developers, myself included, make games because they love seeing others engage with their creations in a way only games can offer (15/16)

They don't care that much about the money made beyond it being the fuel they need to create new and better games. It's worth reminding everyone that fuel is but a means, not a goal. Whereto and how we journey are what matter and what we remember (16/16)
Thank you.

Also - BG3 is now out on @Xbox (17/16)

Edit: IGN also had a really good article called "The Game Awards Winner Speeches We Didn't Get to Hear" https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-winner-speeches-we-didnt-get-to-hear

Happy they're doing this but amazed it was even necessary

I know, I am saying absolutely nothing new here but I still wish that all gaming media would pump the brakes a bit and do these awards in mid to end January of next year.
January is still a time when not too much games are released, hence to cover. Journalists and gamers would be able to finish a few more games they missed over the holidays and have a more complete picture.

You can do all the fun outlook and prediction podcasts/specials for the upcoming year in December instead to fill the gaps/news drought.
Or even reminiscence on the current year and just recommend the personal best titles. But the awards should include everything from January 1st up until December 31st.

These awards right after the very release heavy fall just feel so so rushed.

Edit: I mean, I totally get it for this show on Thursday. It is in parts marketing for more Christmas sales.
But all the gaming news outlets don't have to follow that.
ad revenue is best in December. Every gaming website has ads and most do vids on youtube.

On the flip side, January sucks for ad revenue.

Back
Top Bottom