• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The Game Awards 2022 |ST| An Ad Sent On

I wrote and ultimately deleted a thread on it since I think simply posting here might be better. We know more about Nintendo’s 2023 line up now. Where do you think some of the floating games fit? More specifically, Metroid Prime HD, Everybody 1-2 Switch, Advance Wars, and Golden Eye?

Currently we have:

January - Fire Emblem Engage
February - Kirby Wii Deluxe, Octopath Traveler II
March - Bayonetta Origins
April - The Mario Movie
May - Zelda TK

2023/??? - Pikmin 4, Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart DLC Waves 4/5/6, Xenoblade DLC 3/4, Splatoon DLC

Other rumored games: New DK and F-Zero GX HD.

Throw in some new game predictions if you want at this point lol.

No Zelda, huh?

Sorry, i have to:

And I don't wanna say I told you so, but I told you so, now you've lost control

Doesn't sound like missed much by choosing sleep over staying awake and watching this. But i'm honestly surprised Geoff didn't have the all but officially announced Elden Ring DLC, especially in combination with it winning GotY.

No Zelda, huh?

Sorry, i have to:

Doesn't sound like missed much by choosing sleep over staying awake and watching this. But i'm honestly surprised Geoff didn't have the all but officially announced Elden Ring DLC, especially in combination with it winning GotY.

We got a new Bayonetta game, Fire Emblem DLC, and a new Mario Movie clip. It was a good night.

I wrote and ultimately deleted a thread on it since I think simply posting here might be better. We know more about Nintendo’s 2023 line up now. Where do you think some of the floating games fit? More specifically, Metroid Prime HD, Everybody 1-2 Switch, Advance Wars, and Golden Eye?

Currently we have:

April - The Mario Movie
May - Zelda TK

2023/??? - Pikmin 4, Metroid Prime 4, Mario Kart DLC Waves 4/5/6, Xenoblade DLC 3/4, Splatoon DLC

I feel like Nintendo are taking a deep breath before the Zelda onslaught. It's a fairly quiet few months for them between Fire Emblem and TOTK all told (I'm counting first party which is why I'm not referencing Octopath). Maybe they'll sneak something in April to be revealed in a Feb Direct, but honestly if Nintendo are releasing new hardware soon then it makes sense for them to be holding stuff back now.

If Switch 2 or whatever launches late next year then I'd expect the months following Zelda to be filled largely with ports and DLC. I can see Pikmin 4 being a launch window game (Pikmin games often are), and Metroid Prime 4 is definitely Switch 2 at this stage.

Also hope for Advance Wars fans as I feel there's definitely space for it to release next year in such a scenario as a 'pre-Switch 2' launch filler game. Likely why Nintendo are holding onto it (+ not wanting it and Fire Emblem to eat into each other's sales).

I feel like Nintendo are taking a deep breath before the Zelda onslaught. It's a fairly quiet few months for them between Fire Emblem and TOTK all told (I'm counting first party which is why I'm not referencing Octopath). Maybe they'll sneak something in April to be revealed in a Feb Direct, but honestly if Nintendo are releasing new hardware soon then it makes sense for them to be holding stuff back now.

If Switch 2 or whatever launches late next year then I'd expect the months following Zelda to be filled largely with ports and DLC. I can see Pikmin 4 being a launch window game (Pikmin games often are), and Metroid Prime 4 is definitely Switch 2 at this stage.

Also hope for Advance Wars fans as I feel there's definitely space for it to release next year in such a scenario as a 'pre-Switch 2' launch filler game. Likely why Nintendo are holding onto it (+ not wanting it and Fire Emblem to eat into each other's sales).
They definitely have some co-marketing with Octopath (even as a multiplat) as it showed up again here in ads. I think that’s a big pillar game for February compared to Kirby (which was a good game on Wii) so taking it out will make it seem weaker for sure. I think they got March down with Bayonetta which is a very surprising choice, but yeah April and hardware are big question marks.

I’m rolling Pikmin in October personally.

I'd call it "okay", but it's nothing i'd stay awake for.
Oh if you would have had to stay up special for it, it absolutely was not worth killing a sleep schedule over. Personally though, I can’t think of many things worth truly killing a sleep schedule over since I really value sleeping lol.

We got a new Bayonetta game, Fire Emblem DLC, and a new Mario Movie clip. It was a good night.
I mean, Bayonetta is a smaller scale spinoff, FE DLC is FE DLC, is is always there, and almost always just...fine. And the new mario clip was kinda... we had a trailer just last week that showed a lot.

I think its okay to call that "fine" or "okay".

Im interested in Octopath, but other then that this looks like a like up during the end years of a nintendo console. Which i actually find rather interesting, since i assumed the releases to not slow down because of switch 2. but on the other hand, we had years where we knew less of Q1/Q2 and had to wait for a direct or twitter anouncements.

Oh if you would have had to stay up special for it, it absolutely was not worth killing a sleep schedule over. Personally though, I can’t think of many things worth truly killing a sleep schedule over since I really value sleeping lol.

... You know, back in January 2017, after waking up early for the Switch presentation, i initially was grumpy ... but after that BotW trailer i wasn't grumpy anymore! ;D

There's things i'd stay up or get out of bed (too) early, but it's gotta be something really good.

My strategy of 'stay up to watch the first few announcements then catch up with the rest afterwards' as someone from the UK continues to pay off as Hades 2 was a legit great surprise, but there wasn't much else that I regret not being able to watch live tbh.

They definitely have some co-marketing with Octopath (even as a multiplat) as it showed up again here in ads. I think that’s a big pillar game for February compared to Kirby (which was a good game on Wii) so taking it out will make it seem weaker for sure. I think they got March down with Bayonetta which is a very surprising choice, but yeah April and hardware are big question marks.

I’m rolling Pikmin in October personally.

Nintendo definitely are treating Octopath as a key release for them, but I was largely referring to their internal teams in my previous comment. Bayonetta Origins is technically Platinum as well (I'm assuming, haven't checked the small print yet), so I'm guessing both SquareEnix and Platinum went to Nintendo and said 'we've got these games ready to go at this time' and Nintendo were happy to have them fill up their release gaps.

Pikmin 4 could make for a good launch game for sure, especially if it's a looker.

My strategy of 'stay up to watch the first few announcements then catch up with the rest afterwards' as someone from the UK continues to pay off as Hades 2 was a legit great surprise, but there wasn't much else that I regret not being able to watch live tbh.

Nintendo definitely are treating Octopath as a key release for them, but I was largely referring to their internal teams in my previous comment. Bayonetta Origins is technically Platinum as well (I'm assuming, haven't checked the small print yet), so I'm guessing both SquareEnix and Platinum went to Nintendo and said 'we've got these games ready to go at this time' and Nintendo were happy to have them fill up their release gaps.

Pikmin 4 could make for a good launch game for sure, especially if it's a looker.
Bayonetta they fully fund directly and also collaborate details on. It’s essentially first party even though it’s not their IP and they control everything about its release, compared to Octopath / other Asano games where they help fund it, but don’t own it. Kind of complicated lol.

I mean, Bayonetta is a smaller scale spinoff, FE DLC is FE DLC, is is always there, and almost always just...fine. And the new mario clip was kinda... we had a trailer just last week that showed a lot.

I think its okay to call that "fine" or "okay".
I glossed over the sleep part of the comment and shouldn’t have.

Relative to other years, this was a good night imo. Bayonetta being $60 and getting a retail release suggests to me this one is much bigger than it first appears. Fire Emblem and Mario were pleasant bonuses at that point.

I glossed over the sleep part of the comment and shouldn’t have.

Relative to other years, this was a good night imo. Bayonetta being $60 and getting a retail release suggests to me this one is much bigger than it first appears. Fire Emblem and Mario were pleasant bonuses at that point.
It could either be bigger then expected (then the trailer was really just a teaser) ... or its more like a JRPG for the fans situation, where there is a small but dedicated fan Base, and they are trying to make the game viable even if it wont sell huge numbers. Well see.

Yeah, compared to some years it was good, but that's the thing:
its mostly just fine to boring from an announcement view. We had Zelda stuff, smash stuff, and the announcement of Bayo 3 4 years before its release. That's all i can think of, and Zelda wasnt gonna be here (IMHO).

It could either be bigger then expected (then the trailer was really just a teaser) ... or its more like a JRPG for the fans situation, where there is a small but dedicated fan Base, and they are trying to make the game viable even if it wont sell huge numbers. Well see.

Yeah, compared to some years it was good, but that's the thing:
its mostly just fine to boring from an announcement view. We had Zelda stuff, smash stuff, and the announcement of Bayo 3 4 years before its release. That's all i can think of, and Zelda wasnt gonna be here (IMHO).
Other years had reveals/updates on Bravely Default II, No More Heroes III, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak. They show up every year, but on the single announcement years especially if you don’t care for what they bring it can be a let down. I didn’t care for last year was Monster Hunter for example.

Other years had reveals/updates on Bravely Default II, No More Heroes III, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak etc. They show up every year, but on the single announcement years especially if you don’t care for what they bring it can be a let down. I didn’t care for last year was Monster Hunter for example.
BD2 and MUA3 where new games, yeah. But i would count those towards third party.
(If we talk about general new anouncements then i think the game awards can have some good ones actually), but strictly nintendo first party expectations are there to not be met in my opinion.

Never the less, its a big time investment to watch, so if you're not into the show aspect,
i would say skip the show and wait for youtube uploads, and if you like the show, then the announcements are a nice bonus.
I don't get people that watch a 3-4h show for 10 minutes of trailer they are hoping for.

Am I the only one sad because Xenoblade didn’t win best music? I never heard God of War’s OST, is it really that good or is it because more people played it?

This just reminds me that they were hedging their bets on Pikmin 3 as the first big post launch release first party title on the Wii U. It Uh, did not work.

It can fill a small niche (relatively speaking!) Slot like ARMS did on switch, but it needs to be surrounded by much bigger heavier hitters so that the console can hit the ground running.

This just reminds me that they were hedging their bets on Pikmin 3 as the first big post launch release first party title on the Wii U. It Uh, did not work.

It can fill a small niche (relatively speaking!) Slot like ARMS did on switch, but it needs to be surrounded by much bigger heavier hitters so that the console can hit the ground running.
No doubt they'll have something else lined up so they don't repeat that mistake. But Pikmin 1 was a GC launch window game, and Pikmin 3 a Wii U one. They seem to like putting Pikmin games out early on in a console's lifespan. Provided they aren't relying on it, seems like a good bet to bulk out the launch window

No Zelda, huh?

Sorry, i have to:

It was a great TGA.

I would recommend watching it or listening to it.

Or perhaps watching the trailers.

It was a great TGA.

I would recommend watching it or listening to it.

Or perhaps watching the trailers.

I watched the trailers of the stuff that interests me, but regarding my personal taste and preferences, there wasn't much outside of Bayonetta, Fire Emblem stuff, HADES 2 and the Dead Cells Castlevania DLC. Jedi Survivor i don't need a trailer, i'm a Star Wars fan and loved the first game, so it's an autobuy no matter what.

Though i might keep an eye on Armored Core. Long time since i played such a game and it's not really my fav genre, but it's a FROM game and thus auto-interesting. ^^

I hate myself for staying awake until 5AM just to see four interesting/surprising trailers and Xenoblade getting robbed of the best OST

But it wasn't shadowdropped, which a lot of people expected. Did it get dated? If not, it might as well have not been there at all.
It didn't get dated, but polygonal Bond showed his little face. The trailer was at the beginning of the show, and seemed to focus on 2023 games coming to Switch.

No Goldeneye release date/shadow drop?! Noooo.

Anyway, Post Trauma looked intriguing. Love me some classic survival horror with fixed cameras.

Armored Core VI though, the HYPE. I always had faith, 2023 too, that trailer was the most excited I've been for a CG trailer in years.

Death Stranding 2 as well looked good. Judas is basically more BioShock, hope it's as good as the first rather than as bad as Infinite. Bayonetta 3 winning that award was a pleasant surprise. Shame Xeno 3 got snubbed in RPG and Music categories but doesn't surprise me either when compared to the juggernauts that were sweeping all the awards.

Am I the only one sad because Xenoblade didn’t win best music? I never heard God of War’s OST, is it really that good or is it because more people played it?
There is like a page of people crying out in pain in this thread when it didn't win.

It was a very competitive category, every game nominated was a worthy winner (true for most categories).

It didn't get dated, but polygonal Bond showed his little face. The trailer was at the beginning of the show, and seemed to focus on 2023 games coming to Switch.
That just makes me wonder why the game was announced so far in advance then. A port of an N64 game doesn't need a months-long marketing cycle.

That just makes me wonder why the game was announced so far in advance then. A port of an N64 game doesn't need a months-long marketing cycle.
↓↓↓
I would have thought it was obvious. The September Direct was the time to make the case for people to renew their Expansion Pack subs. That's also why BCP was shown even though wave 3 was months away.

Well considering how it had been a "worst kept secret" for months anyway, it's hard to say what the original plan for it was and how the Ukraine war impacted it.

imagine a dude being in your house

he's not doing anything but he's just there

what do you do?
I actually did that this morning

woke up because one of the cats was moving something around or some large piece of equipment was rolling in the elevator (our bed pocket shares a wall with the elevator shaft)

and in the bleary unspectacled dark I thought my partner was standing over me

until I realized they were still right next to me

and I screamed

I actually did that this morning

woke up because one of the cats was moving something around or some large piece of equipment was rolling in the elevator (our bed pocket shares a wall with the elevator shaft)

and in the bleary unspectacled dark I thought my partner was standing over me

until I realized they were still right next to me

and I screamed

I know this is becoming some sort of inside/running gag between us, but are you sure you were awake? That sounds more like Sleep Paralysis than being awake.

for the record it turned out just to be the tangle of sweaters and bras hanging off our closet door, seen at a weird angle

but I freaked the fuck out

which absolutely woke my partner up

and I definitely did not go back to bed after that

I know this is becoming some sort of inside/running gag between us, but are you sure you were awake? That sounds more like Sleep Paralysis than being awake.
oh the delirium helped but the figure was real

my sleep paralysis demons are far more interesting

my favorite was the flapping goat angel with a single horn curling out of the front of its face (with an eye on it for garnish) that kept saying “shit the bed” in a terrifying low voice

I did not shit the bed

I was more amused than anything

oh the delirium helped but the figure was real

my sleep paralysis demons are far more interesting

my favorite was the flapping goat angel with a single horn curling out of the front of its face (with an eye on it for garnish) that kept saying “shit the bed” in a terrifying low voice

I did not shit the bed

I was more amused than anything

... Thank god i'm unable to dream or remember dreaming.

also I don’t know if this is connected but sometimes sounds that happen in the couple of seconds between being asleep and being awake translate as like 5 times louder to me

I’ve got some fun neurological hearing stuff, so I don’t know if that’s why, but it’s always good for a jumpscare

the best part is… while it mostly happens with sounds in the room, every now and then it’ll happen with a sound from the dream

With how lax security apparently was, I’m surprised Christopher Judge didn’t take the opportunity to demo a few jokes from his new stand up act.

I'm not sure we can definitively say Cereza and the Lost Demon is necessarily on a small scale. Xghost already covered some reasons why:
Bayonetta being $60 and getting a retail release suggests to me this one is much bigger than it first appears.
What we can say is that it's certainly different. It's somewhat intriguing and exciting to see this shift.

That said, I'm not really big on DLC, and the movie is what it is (still likely exciting for a great many people), but at least this title seems interesting to me.

All that said, it turned out pretty well as someone who kind of forgot this was going on, but I wouldn't say it's something to mess up your sleep or anything else important for.

There's things i'd stay up or get out of bed (too) early, but it's gotta be something really good
Like a good meteor shower or other celestial happening.

It really is peculiar how early Goldeneye was announced. I'm almost expecting it to be a February Direct shadowdrop at this point.

It really is peculiar how early Goldeneye was announced. I'm almost expecting it to be a February Direct shadowdrop at this point.
It was there in the Game Awards. On the Nintendo's "what to expect in 2023" sizzle reel. At least they're hyping it.

Currently we have:

April - The Mario Movie
May - Zelda TK

For what it's worth, I don't think the Mario movie's release is going to be in place of a game release that month.

Does anyone have a link for the Nintendo sizzle reel in the game awards, or what the time stamp is on the YouTube upload? Can't seem to find it myself

E: It was earlier than I expected, that's why I couldn't find it lol

25:17 timestamp

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom