• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic The Game Awards 2021 |ST| Rocket League Sideswipe was robbed

frog

Spin it, boys!
The-Game-Awards-2021-hub.jpg

Date and time: December 9 at 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST/2:00 PM CEST
Links: YouTube, Twitch

The Nominees
Game of the Year: Recognizing a game that delivers the absolute best experience across all creative and technical fields.
  • Deathloop
  • It Takes Two
  • Metroid Dread
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Resident Evil Village
Best Game Direction: Awarded for outstanding creative vision and innovation in game direction and design.
  • Deathloop
  • It Takes Two
  • Returnal
  • Psychonauts 2
Best Narrative: For outstanding storytelling and narrative development in a game.
  • Deathloop
  • It Takes Two
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Psychonauts 2
Best Art Direction: For outstanding creative and/or technical achievement in artistic design and animation.
  • Deathloop
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Psychonauts 2
  • The Artful Escape
Best Score/Music: For outstanding music, inclusive of score, original song and/or licensed soundtrack.
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Deathloop
  • Nier Replicant ver.1.22474487139
  • The Artful Escape
Best Audio Design: Recognizing the best in-game audio and sound design.
  • Deathloop
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Returnal
Best Performance: Awarded to an individual for voice-over acting, motion and/or performance capture.
  • Erika Mori, Life is Strange
  • Giancarlo Esposito, Far Cry 6
  • Jason E. Kelley, Deathloop
  • Maggie Robertson, Resident Evil Village
  • Ozioama Akagha, Deathloop
Games for Impact: For a thought-provoking game with a pro-social meaning or message.
  • Before Your Eyes
  • Boyfriend Dungeon
  • Chicory: A Colorful Tale
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • No Longer Home
Best Ongoing: Awarded to a game for outstanding development of ongoing content that evolves the player experience over time.
  • Apex Legends
  • Call of Duty: Warzone
  • FINAL FANTASY XIV ONLINE
  • Fortnite
  • Genshin Impact
Best Indie: For outstanding creative and technical achievement in a game made outside the traditional publisher system.
  • 12 Minutes
  • Death's Door
  • Inscryption
  • Loop Hero
Best Mobile Game: For the best game playable on a mobile device.
  • Fantasian
  • Genshin Impact
  • League of Legends: Wild Rift
  • MARVEL Future Revolution
  • Pokemon Unite
Best Community Support: Recognizing a game for outstanding community support, transparency and responsiveness, inclusive of social media activity and game updates/patches.
  • Apex Legends: Escape
  • Destiny 2: Beyond Light
  • Final Fantasy XIV Online
  • Fortnite
  • No Man's Sky
Innovation in Accessibility: Recognizing software and/or hardware that is pushing the medium forward by adding features, technology and content to help games be played and enjoyed by an even wider audience.
  • Far Cry 6
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • The Vale: Shadow of the Crown
Best VR/AR: For the best game experience playable in virtual or augmented reality, irrespective of platform.
  • Hitman III
  • I Expect You to Die 2
  • Lone Echo II
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Sniper Elite VR
Best Action Game: For the best game in the action genre focused primarily on combat.
  • Back 4 Blood
  • Chivalry II
  • Deathloop
  • Far Cry 6
  • Returnal
Best Action/Adventure: For the best action/adventure game, combining combat with traversal and puzzle solving.
  • Metroid Dread
  • Resident Evil Village
  • Psychonauts 2
Best Role Playing: For the best game designed with rich player character customization and progression, including massively multiplayer experiences.
  • Cyberpunk 2077
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • Scarlet Nexus
  • Shin Megami Tensei V
  • Tales of Arise
Best Fighting: For the best game designed primarily around head-to-head combat.
  • Demon Slayer -Kimetsu no Yaiba- The Hinokami Chronicles
  • Guilty Gear -Strive-
  • Melty Blood: Type Lumina
  • Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl
  • Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown
Best Family: For the best game appropriate for family play, irrespective of genre or platform.
  • It Takes Two
  • Mario Party Superstars
  • New Pokémon Snap
  • Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
  • WarioWare: Get It Together!
Best Sim/Strategy: Best game focused on real time or turn-based simulation or strategy gameplay, irrespective of platform.
  • Age of Empires IV
  • Evil Genius 2: World Domination
  • Humankind
  • Inscryption
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator
Best Sports/Racing: For the best traditional and non-traditional sports and racing game.
  • F1 2021
  • Fifa 22
  • Hot Wheels Unleashed
  • Forza Horizon 5
  • Riders Republic
Best Multiplayer: For outstanding online multiplayer gameplay and design, including co-op and massively multiplayer experiences, irrespective of game genre or platform.
  • Back 4 Blood
  • It Takes Two
  • Knockout City
  • Monster Hunter Rise
  • New World
  • Valheim
Best Debut Indie: For the best debut game created by a new independent studio.
  • Sable
  • The Artful Escape
  • The Forgotten City
  • Valheim
Most Anticipated Game: Recognizing an announced game that has demonstrably illustrated potential to push the gaming medium forward.
  • Elden Ring
  • God of War: Ragnarok
  • Horizon Forbidden West
  • The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Starfield

The Announcements
  • Tunic release date trailer
  • Homeworld 3 gameplay trailer
  • The Expanse: A Telltale Series reveal trailer
  • Babylon's Fall release date trailer
  • Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak trailer
  • Evil West gameplay trailer
  • Persona 4 Arena Ultimax re-release reveal trailer
  • Senua's Saga: Hellblade II gameplay demo
  • Star Wars: Eclipse reveal trailer
  • Wonder Woman teaser trailer (by Monolith Productions)
  • Alan Wake II announcement trailer
  • Horizon Forbidden West trailer
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake: Integrade Epic Games Store release date trailer
  • Slitterhead reveal trailer (Bokeh Game Studio)
  • Nightingale reveal trailer
  • PUBG Battlegrounds F2P announcement trailer
  • Somerville trailer
  • Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course (alleged) release date trailer
  • Sonic Frontiers gameplay trailer
  • Tchia trailer
  • Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League gameplay trailer
  • Forspoken release date trailer
  • Warhammer 40K Space Marine II reveal trailer
  • Saints Row (2022) trailer
  • DUNE Spice Wars reveal trailer
  • Among Us VR reveal trailer
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem gameplay trailer
  • Crossfire X release date trailer
  • Elden Ring story trailer
  • ARC Raiders gameplay trailer
  • The Matrix Awakens "gameplay" trailer

The Presenters/Performers
  • Sting
  • Simu Liu
  • Reggie Fils-Aime
  • Imagine Dragons
  • Keanu Reeves & Carrie-Ann Moss
  • Giancarlo Esposito
  • Ming-Na Wen
  • Ashley Johnson
  • Laura Bailey
  • Jack Septic Eye
  • Guillermo Del Toro
  • Sydnee Goodman
  • Neil Druckmann

Last edited:
I hope we see the new Sonic game here. I also find it weird that we don't know a lot of the world premieres that will be shown here; we are only two days away from the event.

Every year I suffer through this awards show for the potential announcements, and every year I end up telling myself never again. I hope I don't once again disappoint myself later this week.

For announcements I'd like to see come from the show, any of the rumors from the past few months (Chrono Cross remaster, Prime 1 remaster, etc.) would be nice.

The Sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Metroid Prime: Definitive Edition?
What will it be?

I mentioned this in the IGN awards thread too but it bums me out that Eastward isnt getting much of a look in, particularly in the music categories. I thought the soundtrack was wonderful 😭

I mentioned this in the IGN awards thread too but it bums me out that Eastward isnt getting much of a look in, particularly in the music categories. I thought the soundtrack was wonderful 😭
The chiptune-inspired '80's synthpop tracks but in modern way really sets the Eastward OST way above anything comparable released this year. It's a damn shame nobody names that game or OST.

Cant wait to read the summary during the next morning

They won’t top the opening from last year

Every year I suffer through this awards show for the potential announcements, and every year I end up telling myself never again. I hope I don't once again disappoint myself later this week.
Do what I do: do something else instead. Watch forum reactions or just wait until morning to see the trailers.

Do what I do: do something else instead. Watch forum reactions or just wait until morning to see the trailers.
Better yet: Do something WHILE watching it! Like, play something that doesn't require a lot of effort or action, like Pokemon BDSP, on the couch in handheld mode while the TV nearby is showing the awards. Look up to watch now and then when something interesting happens.

Better yet: Do something WHILE watching it! Like, play something that doesn't require a lot of effort or action, like Pokemon BDSP, on the couch in handheld mode while the TV nearby is showing the awards. Look up to watch now and then when something interesting happens.
That's how I watched it last time and how I'll watch it this time as well. Settle down to some SMT while TGA plays in the background and I tune in on the off-chance something interesting happens

You're missing "Content Creator of the Year", where the only nominee is recognize is from a speedrun cheating controversy. This category has been kinda cursed in the past with previous noms/winners being Boogie2988, DrDisrespect, PewDiePie, TotalBiscuit and Ninja, all having their share of controversies.

Anyway, I usually have this on in the background and don't pay too much attention. Hopefully we see some good premieres and devs getting proper recognition for their hard work.

Some other takeaways I have from the nominees:
  • Cyberpunk as best RPG feels wrong. The game was literally pulled from the shelves for months. All things considered, I can't see nominating this, let alone giving it the award over any of the other noms.
  • Glad to see Japanese Breakfast earning a soundtrack nomination for Sable. She's great. I need to play this game...
  • Glad to see Psychonauts 2 get recognition. That game was given a lot of extra time for polish and it shows. Tim Schafer seems like a cool dude and I hope his team is recognized for their work.

That actually is what I've done the past couple years, but even that usually feels like a waste of time because the announcements haven't been that exciting for me. The only announcement I can recall being really exciting in the past few years was Bravely Default II.

I think I'll skip the show entirely this year, and just check what announcements I missed afterwards.

Gonna watch the trailers from this at breakfast. It's at 2 AM in the morning for me and I just can't be bothered with any of these awards shows.

I just want something on Silksong. Give me that and I’ll be the happiest lad in the world.
For whatever reason, TGA 2021 feels like the right time for silksong to come back. You guys can hold me to this, early 2022 release.

Can't remember the last time I watched this. Probably won't this time because I'm commuting back home from work during this and my connection isn't the best going through tunnels and dead zones of my cellphone service. Probably will just read the announcement threads here.

Looking forward to this. It’s fun following the reactions on Twitter and I’m looking forward to participating here :)

My only hopes are it’s not more than three hours (it will be :/ )and they somehow do better giving time for awards. My Nintendo prediction is Xenoblade 3. Anything else is a bonus.

I think there hasn't been a good TGA since 2017, but I tend to tune in with a friend of mine and some drinks, which makes it a bit more fun. I don't care much for nominations, but I do find myself curious as to what Nintendo is bringing. I think Xenoblade 3 will be it.

some halo member tweeted to vote for it and it just shot up like 10% yeah it’s over :/

Yeah, if Xenoblade 3 is still coming in the first half of next year, they have to announce it here. It makes sense to show it here because of the audience and the fact that it was supposed to be announced in February.

Yeah, if Xenoblade 3 is still coming in the first half of next year, they have to announce it here. It makes sense to show it here because of the audience and the fact that it was supposed to be announced in February.
Nah. They would’ve announced it in the September Direct if it was coming in H1. Xenoblade 3 won’t come until H2 of 2022.

Xenoblade 3 won't get announced here. It's Nintendo's early 2022 direct closer. Put money on it

just sad that the real GOTY, psychonauts 2, is out of the players voice running.

I already know Dread lost so I'm just hoping for at least one cool announcement that interests me or is relevant to my interests. Most like can't watch it live.

Voted for Metroid Dread on Player's Voice but it ain't winning with Halo Infinite 18% higher :(

I don't think 2021 was a particularly good year for games (happy for those who felt otherwise), but I always look forward to seeing Geoff exude his genuine excitedness at the event. It's just pure entertainment for me, and I enjoy the celebration of my primary hobby, hiccups and all.

Having Reggie, Phil and Shawn share the stage together in 2018 was a real highlight in my 30+ years of gaming.

Back
Top Bottom