• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The best-looking sidescrollers ever made

This thread is missing some Blasphemous

1AoSVwx.jpg

I2GTh9a.png

KhlR4bJ.jpg

And the bosses, specially in the first one are really works of art

How does that have anything to do with the games' looks? πŸ€”
people may be less inclined to give shout outs to a company that sucks shit

someone asked why no one mentioned ori. I felt qualified to answer since I quite literally did not mention ori because moon studios sucks shit

besides my personal gripes with it, I didn’t intend to give it free real estate in this thread β€” specifically because the company sucks shit.

so at least one person β€” me β€” didn’t mention the game because moon studios sucks shit

Mocking another member’s mental health to dismiss concerns about a problematic developer is unacceptable. You have been banned for ten days. -xghost777, Dardan Sandiego, Zellia, IsisStormDragon, Lord Azrael, Tangerine Cookie, VolcanicDynamo, BLG
people may be less inclined to give shout outs to a company that sucks shit

someone asked why no one mentioned ori. I felt qualified to answer since I quite literally did not mention ori because moon studios sucks shit

besides my personal gripes with it, I didn’t intend to give it free real estate in this thread β€” specifically because the company sucks shit.

so at least one person β€” me β€” didn’t mention the game because moon studios sucks shit
You're ludicrously off-topic. Seek help. πŸ«‚

EDIT Separating the art from the artist is a-ok in my book πŸ’―

Last edited:
You're ludicrously off-topic. Seek help. πŸ«‚
I answered a question and explained why. is this the hill you’re going out of your way to die on?

Separating the art from the artist is a-ok in my book πŸ’―
yeah? is that a blanket opinion? because I can think of at least one pretty clear example where any money you spend on an β€œart” series directly funds violence against me and those like me

to the point we as a site have a policy about it

again β€” you don’t have to die on this hill

anyway here’s wonderwall

fhFVohZ.jpeg

(Alto’s Odyssey shout-out)

Guess I'm gonna be the first one to give a shoutout to Donkey Kong Country 2. The whole trilogy looks wonderful, but 2 is the artistic peak.
DKC2 is my favorite of the series in pretty much every way: art, music, level themes, animal friends, it's just so good.

There are a few Disney SNES/MD games where the animation was supervised by WDAS (at the time, WDFA), Disney's main studio. Aladdin, The Lion King, Pinocchio, and The Jungle Book (though I'm not sure on this one). The high-quality animation of the characters is above the standard of the era (there's a kind of pleasure in the main characters' walking cycles) and makes those games almost like "pixel cartoons".

eabe235e4ed94cfc77b5800de8907b94.gif

aafsZl.gif

lEIff6.gif

I think Ori is one of the most beautiful games:

ss_a4dbe240c363fe04e39a13c9bd78c88c026f3c50.1920x1080.jpg

ss_2b9906b55eea920d7faa610dc652b4766227e349.1920x1080.jpg

ss_8c6bb342117fc21c2c2735bc1a94f118d96ae708.1920x1080.jpg

ss_57ea45c3711319429b19ac62c0a21997b10e1042.1920x1080.jpg

ss_332602f57287e62e4f5c9e661678e8761fabb44c.1920x1080.jpg

ss_5dcb71ffa0a40228f98e1f365d4d6c8b58ca54cf.1920x1080.jpg

ss_f65b59bc0928a62f1779af33ffba65fc21cbf886.1920x1080.jpg

1*Dl26ZmBKcF2uv5C6bTIKJw.gif

If you ask for a game that looks magical, Ori is one of the best answers.

rain world!! amazing colors, beautiful particle and shadow effects, weighty physics-based animation, and some truly mindblowing visual effects that I couldn’t or wouldn’t find gifs of, like the titular rain or certain things near the end
giphy.gif
Rain_World_animation_-_Blue_Liz_sm.gif
1.gif

it’s such a unique style that feels completely distinct from all the pixel art and 2.5D sidescrollers out there (many of which look great!) I’m sure it’s not easy to make a game that looks anything like this but I do wish it was more influentialβ€”if only for the fact that it shows there are other, weirder ways to do sidescrolling visuals

Man, so many games missing...

First in Defense of Hollow Knight: my thirst thought was the same, kinda simplistic flat and samey, so i waited long to try it.
Now its one of my favorite games. The game has many diverse biomes, but it has a mutes color palete, so i get why for some that does not work.
The character designs are charming and many great animations are there, but without the big lovely voice work it would only hit half as well.
Still, it comes together and feels visually like more then the sum of its part when you play it and take the whole work into account.

------------------------
Ori was mentioned
Blasphemous
Gris (boring as hell to me, but beautifull to look at)

Main suggestions:

Vanilaware (Muramasa, Odin Sphere, or do those not count?)
Spiritfarer (also, does this count?)
ICONOCLASTS (if you like the GBA/Metroid Fusion / SNK inspired artstyle)
HALF of all Fighting Games in the last Decade (Or do those not count since they are not scrolling? this one i would understand)
Katana Zero
Cuphead (! How is that not mentioned?)
Castlevania: Order of Eclesia (top tier sprite art)
Kirby's Epic Yarn !
Yoshi's Wolly World !!!
Pretty much any 2D Kirby Game since the GBA. lovely sprite work.
Yoshis Story
Divisive one: Mega Man Zero (1-4)

Yeah, i know, i did not add screenshots, im sorry, ill try to do that when i have more time.

Surprised it took this long for these games to be mentioned. The imaginative imagery and expressive sprites put most of the 16 bit era to shame, IMO.
Its interesting how different people emphasize different aspects.
Some obviously go for nostalgia, others for stylization, some for more details, others for more expressive animations, then you have those that need to see pixels, and those that don't like it if it does not look like a rainbow (fair, sometimes you can't beat a rainbow).

Still flabbergasted how 20 years ago people and companies thought 2D is dead, and 10 Years ago people badmouthed sprite games as just nostalgia bait and all just "8-bit graphics" when there is such an ocean in styles.

Oh, and all the Metal Slug games! Generally, SNK made some masterpieces back then.

Man, so many games missing...

First in Defense of Hollow Knight: my thirst thought was the same, kinda simplistic flat and samey, so i waited long to try it.
Now its one of my favorite games. The game has many diverse biomes, but it has a mutes color palete, so i get why for some that does not work.
The character designs are charming and many great animations are there, but without the big lovely voice work it would only hit half as well.
Still, it comes together and feels visually like more then the sum of its part when you play it and take the whole work into account.

------------------------
Ori was mentioned
Blasphemous
Gris (boring as hell to me, but beautifull to look at)

Main suggestions:

Vanilaware (Muramasa, Odin Sphere, or do those not count?)
Spiritfarer (also, does this count?)
ICONOCLASTS (if you like the GBA/Metroid Fusion / SNK inspired artstyle)
HALF of all Fighting Games in the last Decade (Or do those not count since they are not scrolling? this one i would understand)
Katana Zero
Cuphead (! How is that not mentioned?)
Castlevania: Order of Eclesia (top tier sprite art)
Kirby's Epic Yarn !
Yoshi's Wolly World !!!
Pretty much any 2D Kirby Game since the GBA. lovely sprite work.
Yoshis Story
Divisive one: Mega Man Zero (1-4)

Yeah, i know, i did not add screenshots, im sorry, ill try to do that when i have more time.
Yesssss Iconoclasts!!

And if Spiritfarer doesn't count I will protest

Its interesting how different people emphasize different aspects.
Some obviously go for nostalgia, others for stylization, some for more details, others for more expressive animations, then you have those that need to see pixels, and those that don't like it if it does not look like a rainbow (fair, sometimes you can't beat a rainbow).

Still flabbergasted how 20 years ago people and companies thought 2D is dead, and 10 Years ago people badmouthed sprite games as just nostalgia bait and all just "8-bit graphics" when there is such an ocean in styles.

Oh, and all the Metal Slug games! Generally, SNK made some masterpieces back then.
When putting together the OP, I noticed that animation was a big deal for me. Not necessarily crazy smooth animation, which doesn't do much for me on its own (I actually think SNES Aladdin looks better than Sega Aladdin), but having a lot of stuff that moves. It really serves to bring a world to life for me when they animate the leaves rustling on a tree or something. And I think specifically choosing to include that kind of detail is infinitely more artistically interesting than making complex systems to automate all of these things like games do nowadays. It's hard to describe exactly what I love so much about this stuff, but the way every detail feels handmade in a way that is more and more lost in an era of everything being a massive project done with countless shortcuts and auto-generated this and thats speaks to me I suppose.

Last edited:
When putting together the OP, I noticed that animation was a big deal for me. Not necessarily crazy smooth animation, which doesn't do much for me on its own (I actually think SNES Aladdin looks better than Sega Aladdin), but having a lot of stuff that moves. It really serves to bring a world to life for me when they animate the leaves rustling on a tree or something. And I think specifically choosing to include that kind of detail is infinitely more artistically interesting than making complex systems to automate all of these things like games do nowadays. It'd hard to describe exactly what I love so much about this stuff, but the way every detail feels handmade in a way that is more and more lost in an era of everything being a massive project done done with countless shortcuts and auto-generated this and thats speaks to me I suppose.
I get your point there. And while games like ori can seem that way (background and particle systems have a lot of that) there is a ton of handcrafted animation in the characters.

But totally. Iconoclasts, blasphemous and katana zero have all many of those details. I love them to. And cuphead rarely has a screen where stuff is not moving.

Like as much as I love hollow knight, that type of animation for sure was barely present in that game.

I really need to give Owl Boy another shot. I got it on PC way back. It's beautiful but I found it boring so I didn't make it very far. Maybe it gets more interesting later on.
Owlboy is one of those games that looks incredible but I found to be kind of a slog to play, both gameplay-wise but also with the narrative which can be kind of jarringly harsh. It shares some DNA with Iconoclasts there, actually, since that was also brought up in this thread.

Muramasa, how on Earth did I forget Muramasa. A Wii game that looks better than most PS5 games through sheer artistry

dolphin2013-03-2514-2nej4s.png

1.jpg

F-vyMQ6W4AA5QTN

Last edited:
Some very good choices here. I know you said that you were limited to 30 choices, but there's still some surprising omissions.

Demon's Crest
demon-s-crest-snes-screenshot-another-boss-battle.gif
As much as I like the visuals of Mega Man X, I think the clean Sentai inspired visuals have always held it back a bit from being as consistently interesting as the likes of Castlevania or Metal Slug. Well, Demon's Crest is Mega Man X quality visuals with Castlevania art direction, only this time it's even more gothic and depressing than a Castlevania game! This game is seriously underrated, I recommend people to check it out, and while it might not have the same consistentcy as a Rondo or a Metal Slug, it is genuinely one of the best looking 16 bit games period. It's Symphony of the Night but good! Mega Man X but better!
Just look at this beautiful poorly stretched intro screen!
Yeah, Demon's Crest was always a game that I loved, but only got a chance to play it through Emulation/NSO in the past. Just recently, I learned my mom had my childhood CRT so I used that to buy a SNES with a bunch of games so I could experience them as they should have been, and Demon's Crest blew me away and looked a generation ahead of a lot of its contemporaries. While fighting a boss, I realized that you could rip some enemy/boss sprites from this game, paste them into SOTN and they would fit right in and people probably wouldn't even notice that they came from an SNES game

yeah? is that a blanket opinion? because I can think of at least one pretty clear example where any money you spend on an β€œart” series directly funds violence against me and those like me

to the point we as a site have a policy about it

again β€” you don’t have to die on this hill
That's a very good question! Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yes!! As much as I dislike black and white thinking, I can't think of an exception to the "rule". IMHO πŸ’œ

F.I.S.T. is not the most creatively interesting visually but it's a rather good showcase of unreal engine 4 and it has some very nice material works, definitely makes me think how a 2D Metroid could look on next gen nintendo hardware :

1318982.png

fist-forged-in-shadow-torch-17.jpg

fist_forged_in_shadow_torch_impulsegamer_review_screenshot_4-scaled.jpg

That's a very good question! Short answer: yes.

Long answer: Yes!! As much as I dislike black and white thinking, I can't think of an exception to the "rule". IMHO πŸ’œ
So you dislike black and white thinking but will make an exception for the entirety of β€˜seperate art from the artist’, even regarding art that is a commercial product that funnels cash towards hate? I mean, of all the topics to choose to go with black and white thinking on, that’s a wild exception to make.

Last edited:
F.I.S.T. is not the most creatively interesting visually but it's a rather good showcase of unreal engine 4 and it has some very nice material works, definitely makes me think how a 2D Metroid could look on next gen nintendo hardware :
F.I.S.T. is always on my wishlist, but I haven't bought it yet. Is it worth it?

So you dislike black and white thinking but will make an exception for the entirety of β€˜seperate art from the artist’, even regarding art that is a commercial product that funnels cash towards hate? I mean, of all the topics to choose to go with black and white thinking on, that’s a wild exception to make.
Sure 😊

You were previously banned for dismissing concerns about problematic developers. You have returned from that ban to double down on your position. For this behavior, you have been permanently banned. - meatbag, Bass Forever, Zellia, BLG, Lord Azrael
The alternative is Black and White thinking on who we choose to support... Have we looked at every other companies' closets? Do we want to ban every one with skeletons we disagree with?

... Do we even have a thread at this point? See where we're going with this? 🌈

F.I.S.T. is always on my wishlist, but I haven't bought it yet. Is it worth it?
From what I've played (didn't finish it) it's a pretty decent metroidvania (got it for free via the Epic Game Store) but I don't think it controls as well as Metroid Dread (or Prince of Persia for a more recent game) but it has a pretty good combat system. I wouldn't recommend the Switch version tho because the port seemed pretty mediocre from what I have seen (30 fps with drops with the visuals drastically reduced).

Some unnecessarily frustrating boss fights tho, where it feels like you need to be pixel perfect to avoid some attacks which isn't the case with the other two games I mentionned.

The overworked stuff if nothing special, but the simplicity and sharpness of Zelda II sprites against the backdrops always looked good to me. Like really clean compared to other side scrolling games of the time -- actually after playing some recently, I still think this is true.

I think it's their choice of colors juxtaposed with a lack of typical black outlines around objects and characters. Everything pops more than it should, with a few exceptions like blue zols and any blue tiling.

Game would probably look really cool if they "HD-ified" it and added dynamic lighting.

The alternative is Black and White thinking on who we choose to support... Have we looked at every other companies' closets? Do we want to ban every one with skeletons we disagree with?

... Do we even have a thread at this point? See where we're going with this? 🌈
Yes, because your black and white thinking is a claim of false equivalence. β€˜Support everything or nothing, regardless of the artist’ is ludicrous. There’s a huge difference in the harm caused by this-

And pointing out smaller issues that are shitty takes in a game but that don’t have a wider impact. And your shitty blase emoticons and feigned indifference don’t help with your claim to be helping the thread get back on track when you’re only back here after a ban for your own shitty take on mental health.

Back
Top Bottom