• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion The best-looking sidescrollers ever made

If I had to guess, the sidescroller is probably the perspective that it's easiest to make a great-looking game with. The resemblance to familiar ways of composing an image and the completely fixed camera perspectives give it an advantage over first person or behind the back, which offer a lot less control over how the player sees the world and a more cramped viewpoint or one that has to deal with what's in front of you being obscured by your character, while top down games often have to struggle with just being an odd angle to view things from, seeing as you're mostly looking at the ground and the tops of buildings and stuff. And the less said about isometric, the better.

Further, this question is almost exclusively the domain of pixel art in my mind. If you ask me, one of the best qualities of pixel art is its incredible crispness and clarity, something 3D graphics in particular never seem to match, and something which is also at least partly retroactive since they were in their time viewed on blurry displays partially obscured by lines. I don't really buy the CRT purist line that the art was designed to be transformed in that fashion, but if the developers had eyes then they definitely didn't see their work in quite the same way we do today. And then 3D sidescrollers are usually ugly, bulging things; and I've never actually been a big fan of hand-drawn assets because for whatever reason they tend to look flatter, flimsier, and less substantial than sprites or models. I ended up not including any modern 2D games in this post at all (mainly because I ran out of room before even getting to them...)

I'm limited to 30 images here btw, so I had to make these count and couldn't show off a lot of games as much as I wanted to!

Frankly, I don't think this period produced anything capable of standing alongside the best works from later ones. Sure, you could argue Mario 3 looks better than World on the strength of its art style, but against something like Yoshi's Island it's just no contest. The level of detail isn't enough to compete and the NES struggles to run its graphical showcases smoothly to a far greater extent than the 16-bit consoles normally do. Still, that doesn't mean there are no games that stand the test of time artistically, and there are a few nice techniques specific to this era I want to highlight.

The brightly colored yet overall very black-heavy images of games like Batman and Castlevania create an interesting aesthetic mostly unique to 8-bit.

tumblr_norgo4AHGa1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

j2xviHj.gif

8fac98dbe5189aa1f7028cc51430bc2337d71591.gifv

A surprisingly gritty image fades in and out of the darkness in a natural way, compensating for the system's weaknesses while implying more detail than what is actually drawn. Everything is basically a single color in favor of adding detail through shading.

Interesting and distinctive color palettes were common to the NES due to the color limitations. I'm fond of Mario 3's heavy use of soft blue and beige, and Kirby's Adventure and Gimmick are examples of games which may have been more garishly colorful on 16-bit hardware but have a tasteful pastel look instead. The amount of unique level assets in Kirby's Adventure remains particularly impressive to this day, and shits on the GBA remake from a great height.

tumblr_ma77whubin1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

71bf79684ea41b8e59e7ff1425a4a5fcf18ceb2a.gif

Still largely viewed as the golden age of pixel art, due to being the golden age of 2D games in general, and the scarcity of high quality stuff from later more powerful hardware.

Let's start with the Mega Drive. Noticeably a little weaker than the SNES graphically with a much more limited color palette, its main advantages were under the hood. It had an easier time with a lot of stuff going on at once. This difference shaped their respective libraries, and the Mega Drive had a lot of balls-to-the-wall technical wizardry, but in my opinion tended to fall short in pure quality pixel art, often visibly due to having trouble making something look right within the color limitations. Aladdin and Comix Zone come to mind as two games with incredibly fluid animation but very ugly colors that blur the lines of even looking 16-bit. But unlike 8-bit graphics, it was possible to stand up to the SNES with what the Mega Drive had, and a cleverly chosen palette will leave no indication of the limit at all.

Obviously, the icon of the system was Sonic, whose early games are known for their distinctive pop art style. But the rest all pale in comparison to Sonic CD. Little Planet is one of the most captivating worlds a 2D platformer has ever built. Singularly surreal and exploding with color and motion, Sonic CD offers four wildly different moods to each setting with its time travel gimmick, letting you see primeval, utopian, and apocalyptic visions of the already unbelievable landscapes. The best part is that in terms of pure graphical fidelity, Sonic CD is not even close to the pinnacle of what the series would achieve on the console. Its success is all in the sheer imagination of its environments. I'm so sad the rainbow waterfalls level was cut.

tumblr_pcz047kywL1w1kerio1_540.gif

One of the system's other big hitters was Shinobi, and the third game in particular is often brought up as one of the Mega Drive's very best. I like how this one makes the color limitations work for it by going for a more muted, realistic look. It's beautiful like an overcast sky.

shinobi.gif

On the flipside, Mega Drive's color limits actually leant themselves well to games that looked extremely vibrant, something Sonic Team knew perhaps better than anyone else. Ristar looks quite unlike Sonic CD in most respects, but one thing they share is a world drenched in color. Ristar's more detailed graphics take it even further actually, and arguably represent the peak of "the Mega Drive style" in the way later Sunsoft games did for the NES. The world is full of greens and blues and pinks where they shouldn't be, and it makes it work.

KovG4Z.gif

As a bit of an honorable mention, Thunder Force IV is not especially beautiful on the whole, but that first level is insane. It marries the strong colors of a game like Ristar with the console's signature technical tricks in a non-gimmicky fashion that still holds up all these years later, creating an unbelievable sense of depth for a completely 2D game to have. Amazed this never got one of those 3DS ports...

IEph7FU.gif

Moving on to the Super Nintendo, Yoshi's Island remains a visual feast that needs no introduction. Probably the best-looking game on the SNES.

RaTj.gif

A very late release for the system, Kirby's Dream Land 3 is known for its watercolor art style. It's not quite Yoshi's Island, but it was probably the next best thing at the time.

497feef4d40435e571ad27e1bc6bcf30e6409f0c.gif

Nintendo's in-house development teams back then weren't really known for their graphical prowess. For as many great character designs as they've created over the years, their pixel art was typically kind of simplistic, and even amateurish, in the case of the infamous errors and oddities throughout Super Mario World and A Link to the Past. But once or twice a generation, they cut loose with something truly ambitious. On the SNES there was Yoshi's Island, and there was Super Metroid. There's still an argument to be made that it's the best-looking game in the series today. Until Dread, none of the other sidescrolling entries even came within a mile of it. I think there's still a certain tile-based stiffness or simplicity to a lot of Super Metroid's art that puts it a bit behind the system's absolute best, and this was noticeably shaken off when the same areas and characters were revisited in Zero Mission (albeit with a far worse art style). But it gets points for how it executes on its graphic novel-inspired look to create a strong and consistent atmosphere.

646vw7w4zpb11.gif

You can't talk about 16-bit graphics without eventually mentioning Donkey Kong Country. There were many common foibles of this style, but they hold up better than they probably should today, 2 & 3 especially, due to Rare's talent. Something that's obvious if you compare them to the overwhelming plastic stiffness and chunkiness of anything that jumped on the pre-rendered train afterwards like Super Mario RPG or Kirby Super Star. I've never seen another good-looking game using pre-rendered sprites. I have to admit, I think there's still potential in this style for games with fixed camera angles to go far beyond what real time 3D can do, and I've never been entirely certain why it was gradually abandoned except perhaps that it was never used well by anyone but Rare for most purposes, and proved inflexible for everyone using it for backgrounds as we entered the era of twin sticks being standard.

More than their fancy faux-3D though, the environmental effects are what remain impressive about DKC. The first game in particular was full of them. Changes of the weather and time of day during a level, adjustments to the lighting as you ventured through a cave, and the use of things like fog or sparkling crystals. While many of these transitions were abrupt, especially impressive and iconic is the slowly advancing snowstorm from Snow Barrel Blast, to this day probably gaming's best blizzard. Many of these effects were reused in the sequels somewhere, but they placed much less emphasis on big graphical showpieces in exchange for becoming much more accomplished at 3D modeling and making clearer, more cleanly-rendered environments. However, some notable new effects from the latter entries include the coating of honey running down the screen in DKC2, and the waterfalls which you can pass behind or in front of in DKC3. DKC2 in general is also worth noting simply for its imaginative settings, most famously the giant bramble bushes floating in the sky.

(I swear it's impossible to find good quality gifs of these games that aren't someone documenting an obscure glitch for some reason...)

DKC2-BrambleBlast.gif

d1ab052ac0c7bc918d4bd4f89b6ae9021c46dbdfr1-500-500_hq.gif

The Neo Geo was marketed as a 24-bit system. The reality was more complicated, but graphically it was hard to deny it was ahead of the competition when it launched, and it still managed to impress for long after it became outdated. SNK's later Neo Geo games have a reputation for containing the absolute best pixel art ever made.

Let's start with the series that kind of started it all for SNK. It's their equivalent to Donkey Kong or Super Mario Bros., the place where their largest shared cast of characters got their start and where they first entered the genre they became famous for: fighting games. The Fatal Fury games are not known for being exceptionally good-looking compared to certain other SNK series, but from the first time I saw it I always felt that Fatal Fury 3 stood out and carved its own identity with a much more colorful art style than King of Fighters and some stages that were actually really impressive. (I wanted to show the aquarium here, but for some reason there aren't any gifs of that one.)

fatalfury3-stage-sound-beach.gif

Now, King of Fighters is SNK's premiere fighting game series, and it's famed for having absolutely fantastic backgrounds throughout its original run on the Neo Geo. Sticking to a one image per game max to avoid running out of space...

An early favorite from 95 (the waterfall on the left is in the foreground, so it moves as the screen scrolls and characters can pass behind it!)

kof95-stage-china.gif

This KOF 96 stage has two different variations, allowing them to reuse it for multiple teams, but the Athena one is livelier with these rowdy schoolgirls in the center. Plus I felt like this one was good for highlighting the amount of effort put into animating all these tiny background characters. So much detail, but their eyes are only a few pixels!

kof96-stage-in-osaka.gif

This one from 98 could practically be a painting. And KOF 98 didn't even need new stages, it was a dream match game with no plot that just brought back all the previous characters!

kof98-usa-stage.gif

Lastly, special mention has to go the legendary KOF 99 park stage, which has three different weather variations as the fight progress through rounds, including one with pouring rain.

kof99-stage-park-animate.gif

Less famous but up there with other SNK fighters of the era visually is The Last Blade 2, which was a samurai fighter, one of those things that there were just randomly a lot of in the 90's, like caveman platformers.

lastblade_burningBuildingInside-51bbd3a51d852af7e64dd89d25568b4a.gif

Mark of the Wolves is often remembered as the peak of SNK's fighting games, and that includes its art. Especially impressive given this was made for the same 1991 technology as the very first Fatal Fury! I wanted a good gif of the belfry stage with all the doves, but I got nothing, so you'll have to make do with my own sorry lowres efforts here that don't really do it justice.

Oo7yboS.gif

And what is there to say about Metal Slug? Never mind words, any one image would be insufficient, and I've heard the conversion ratio of words to images is terrible.

This series is legendary for its art. Aesthetically I'm not even sure how I would rate it, but it is basically uncontested as the most impressive pixel art ever made, and by some distance. Detailed backgrounds like you would expect from SNK. Enormous war machines rattle with movement and come apart piece by piece, glass shattering and doors blown off. Every player character has numerous specific animations for specific situations. There are countless one-off vehicles and hidden alternate paths with completely different mechanics and environments, especially in Metal Slug 3. On this one you can turn into a zombie, on this one there are snails that melt you, and on this one you can ride an elephant for a few minutes.

4ORE

LOOK AT THE ELEPHANT. THEY ANIMATED THE SKIN FOLDS ON THE ELEPHANT.

Yeah I'm not even posting the famous crab or any actual gameplay. Just the elephant. I could've put Fio having a sandwich, but the elephant. THE ELEPHANT.

...While I don't think Capcom's art was ever as appealing as SNK's, the fluidity of the character animations in Street Fighter III's sprites are unparalleled all these decades later. In this case, the cartooniness which I think makes them look plainer next to SNK's fare was probably an asset. There's a mixture of incredibly smooth and detailed motions and instant jumps that add energy to the animations instead of feeling stiff, a lot like a cartoon. Probably because it literally was hand-drawn animation that was then drawn over with pixels. It deserves mention for this achievement alone.

tumblr_oaj067o2b91u6jjy9o1_400.gif

Most of the aforementioned Neo Geo and arcade games were concurrent with this period rather than the 16-bit consoles. Not a lot to talk about here, but a few great examples of 2D art hail from this era, in which it was already on the way out. Largely more obscure games, but I only ended up including popular ones...

None of the Igavanias are exactly artistically consistent, though most of them have at least one really cool technical showcase somewhere. But in spite of its reused PC-Engine sprites, Symphony of the Night has nevertheless long been hailed for its atmosphere and incredible attention to detail. While much of it probably could have been done on SNES (in fact, it's currently being ported to the Mega Drive with surprisingly minimal downgrades), it also supplements pixel art with the occasional 3D effect for a grander presentation, like a more technically proficient Yoshi's Island (being on a console that could actually do 3D...)

tumblr_npddg5VOGk1qd4q8ao1_500.gif

This is one I have to say I didn't really get the appeal of until I played it myself and got to be immersed in its world. The original Rayman looks unfortunately similar to a PC edutainment game at a glance, and I let the connotations of its art style put me off the execution, which is wonderful. There's nothing cheap or saccharine about it. The character designs may not be winning any awards, but the settings are presented as moody and surreal dreamscapes. It's an old drug trip cartoon repackaged with a new age vibe that's more Donkey Kong Country than Mario's Early Years. I'm actually not sure if this was pixel art, or something more akin to a 2D version of Donkey Kong Country, taking images of drawn art and putting it into the game. That's what it looks like to me, but I've never seen any statements on it.

bandland.gif

I've saved all of these for last because examples of good-looking 3D sidescrollers are few and far between. They barely existed before the late Wii era since 3D graphics mostly killed 2D games for a decade and change, and they were mostly cheap and ugly once they did start getting made.

Our first example however dates back to the N64. Kirby 64 is a showcase for what can be done when your sidescroller is now only a sidescroller by technicality. While its ever-shifting camera angles and winding paths only really work because of its plodding pace and undemanding gameplay, they allowed for the most fully three-dimensional environments in a sidescroller probably until Tropical Freeze. It chose an art style that works really well on the console and holds up fantastically today, arguably aging better than even Paper Mario. Its simple, colorful worlds rendered in a stark and geometric graphical style are lonely and distant and slightly offputting in a delicious way that the series never quite revisited until Forgotten Land. There's an entire section late in the game where you visit what appears to be Earth entirely covered in snow and explore an abandoned shopping mall, and it only gets weirder from there.

5f188602991ae11d422a0440f1907295a78af1eb.gif

For 3D graphics, Tropical Freeze probably remains the gold standard of sidescrollers. (It was ALSO impossible to find good gifs of this one...)

It's honestly beginning to show its age a bit, but you will find very little out there with similar production values even as the game passes ten years old. Where Tropical Freeze excels is in the fact that it's made by Retro Studios, the masters of environment art. Unlike practically every sidescroller ever, Tropical Freeze's world is not mostly relegated to its backgrounds. Every level provides the sense that you are running through, not just past, a part of its world. In levels like Cannon Canyon, it's hard to even call it an illusion or an effect, they actually just made a whole 3D environment. And something I don't think it's ever really appreciated for is how nice the composition of its shots can be, like a painting. Especially the opening shot of many levels, like the field of pumpkins in Mountain Mania or the juice waterfalls and enclosing foreground canopy leaves in Reckless Ride. The settings themselves are pretty attractive and imaginative too. A circus tent made from a giant parachute over the remains of a crashed plane is just the tip of the iceberg.

26uUsAjKTsXCDw7zixZR182JbFKvgzJ9YwsFpTVcRaGCmsqhA1unTgprEXJBzw59zG8uCawkXrsSwaxmRYXeim2aLbLkpxN5tNnzug3ASodH4vQrrN349idjiFLN5B7uPqPyJJZ7crfWSXoyXV79ugoJkS2qFGiRHAU11X

There are zero gifs of this in a decent quality, but of all things the licensed platformer Marsupilami: Hoobadventure in some ways manages to surpass Retro's efforts artistically. It can't touch it in the solidity and sense of place expressed through its environments, but in terms of color and background detail, it makes Tropical Freeze look downright antiquated in comparison sometimes. Especially the savannah levels, which are totally deserted in TF but have great herds of dinosaurs in Hoobadventure. The game reminds me of a visual showcase 3D animated movie like The Croods, which is crazy for something so unassuming.

Rp4qVdMcfI9nOGSK3R1DBMZm.jpg

While its art in general is nice but mostly not anything especially impressive, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is notable for how it pushes detailed character animation to probably the greatest extent the genre has seen.

6_xvru.gif

Also on the subject of character animation, Guilty Gear Strive deserves mention for making 3D character models in a fighting game look amazing while most developers are just beginning to make them look passable. The cel-shaded illusion of an anime is probably the most convincing it's ever been. ...So long as you don't look at the backgrounds, which are kind of just in a different art style altogether.

bridget-guilty-gear-strive.gif

And that's about everything I could think to highlight! ...Well, I've run out of space for images, in any case. So now I throw it over to you, I suppose. You too can fill a post with up to 30 gifs of beautiful sidescrollers! Although, this took forever, I don't really expect anyone else would want to do this.

how do you make a list like this and leave out like… modern non-3D sidescrollers?

Hollow Knight, for one

Not mentioning Rayman Origins and Legends should be considered a criminal offense in a thread titled this tbh.
28b9553c4c2d8b0e8416bf741d57fbf8.jpg

2112.jpg

016689.jpg

ss_318dc1c278b1d7c3670df0333d1d93f43b19066d.jpg

Also, IMO Guilty Gear Xrd and DBFZ fake the illusion of 2D animation way better cause the real time lighting is not as overbearing as Strive. Same reason I prefer Rayman Origins' visuals over Legends.

I really enjoyed reading that OP, Stilt Village! I'd never heard of Gimmick before, but the GIF you chose demonstrates some really appealing animation.

One game I haven't seen mentioned in this thread yet is Wario Land: Shake It! I never played it, but the visuals always impressed me.

how do you make a list like this and leave out like… modern non-3D sidescrollers?

Hollow Knight, for one
That was the last section and I was pretty much out of space by the time I got to it, so I figured I'd just leave it and others could post those games if they want, since I don't have much personal affinity for the aesthetic of any of them.

Hollow Knight has high quality environment art, but I also find its whole look pretty dreary and repetitive, like if a Metroid was just Brinstar and also several times bigger. And I don't really care for the character designs in isolation or the way they look in-game very much. It's a neat way to draw bugs, but it's like, kind of minimalist, again kind of repetitive, doesn't really do it for me.

Not mentioning Rayman Origins and Legends should be considered a criminal offense in a thread titled this tbh.
28b9553c4c2d8b0e8416bf741d57fbf8.jpg

2112.jpg

016689.jpg

ss_318dc1c278b1d7c3670df0333d1d93f43b19066d.jpg
...I think these are all faked promotional images and not actual game screenshots, it looks like they just stuck in stock art of the characters.

Legends would probably have been the most likely of these modern 2D games for me to include though, the world is beautiful, but the way UbiArt automates animating things (at least that's my understanding of why it moves like that) kind of ruins it for me a bit. Would be at least an honorable mention if I did put the section in.

This was a super fun and insightful read OP! Lotta fun games mentioned and now I have an itch to replay some of em again haha!

Dragon Ball FighterZ is the best looking game ever in my eyes so I'll vote for that one.

Dreamland 3, KoF, Castlevania and Mario Wonder are great picks too!

This thread is amazing for the neo geo section alone, such gorgeous pixel art in every single background they’ve made.

1. Congrats on the OP!! Lots of work went into it and it shows! Thank you?

2. Guacamelee.. Especially the 2nd one, is a real treat for the eyes with a relatively unique style.

3. Holy **** how has no one mentioned the Ori games yet??? 😳

Neo Geo art remains stunning. Just artistic wizardry. Octopath II’s 2DHD stuff is also incredible.

I mean…at the risk of sounding too basic…Cuphead truly floored me when I first witnessed its animation in real time.

I will also second Hollow Knight. The City of Tears sticks out to me as one of the best sequences in the past decade of gaming.

Oh, and The Messenger! The way it switched between two generations of technology so seamlessly was really great.

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero is not my FAVOURITE game on account of the gameplay but it has one of my FAVOURITE visual styles of any game. It's so bouncy and ALIVE.

You would think the original DKC trilogy would have aged horribly given they're almost entirely made of prerendered 3D graphics scaled down into low-fidelity 2D sprites, but they still manage to look beautiful.

LittleBigPlanet is a very nice looking 2.5D platformer.

Mine are probably
SNES DK, for a game that was in 3D for the SNES, it has age pretty good
ffea022782a01d6fac03db3fc335f394.jpg

Super Mario brothers 3, looks really good and aged phenomaly for a NES game
c6832ccb5d5e616f3e1324bbc8162198.jpg

Hollow knight is my favourite 2D side scroller of all time, since it was my gate way drug to metrovanias.
9ac540d20e7492dfd12dbdc238250650.jpg

Honorable Mentions would be
  • Metroid Dread
  • DK tropical freeze
  • Mario wonders
  • Super metroid
  • Ender lillies
  • Kirby return to dreamland Deluxe

...I think these are all faked promotional images and not actual game screenshots, it looks like they just stuck in stock art of the characters.
…you really haven’t played them, have you?

they made the whole games look like that, both in fluid motion and stills

to prove that I’m not exclusively some newhead apologist beholden only to the crisp and illustrative…

I still think all the DKCs look bizarrely great. that stylization somehow truly held up as this perfect dated hyperreal unreal that makes them still a joy to play.

Yoshi’s Island too — a masterpiece in the opposite direction. Two bright beacons of the SNES era.

I am going to get in trouble for saying this, but I think Yoshi's Island is a fantastically ugly game. Just unbelievably awful. I hated it from the instant I saw it. I recently sat down to play the game and my opinion improved slightly and it's still that I think it's terrible.

The foregrounds and backgrounds are nice, but they actual gameplay objects are awful, and really clashy, and I find the color palette and stylization make for an unreadable gameplay image. It should be noted that I grew up with an NES, but then didn't get back into games till college, so I missed the SNES, N64, and the GameCube eras.

I'm glad people like it! I'm glad that Nintendo found success with a game that was both a visual and gameplay gamble! But I genuinely don't understand what's appealing about it if you are not looking at it through the lens of nostalgia.

I am going to get in trouble for saying this, but I think Yoshi's Island is a fantastically ugly game. Just unbelievably awful. I hated it from the instant I saw it. I recently sat down to play the game and my opinion improved slightly and it's still that I think it's terrible.

The foregrounds and backgrounds are nice, but they actual gameplay objects are awful, and really clashy, and I find the color palette and stylization make for an unreadable gameplay image. It should be noted that I grew up with an NES, but then didn't get back into games till college, so I missed the SNES, N64, and the GameCube eras.

I'm glad people like it! I'm glad that Nintendo found success with a game that was both a visual and gameplay gamble! But I genuinely don't understand what's appealing about it if you are not looking at it through the lens of nostalgia.
a vibrant rejection of a doomed 3D future

the sensibility of a crayon sketch pulled into game reality

I did play it as a kid but I think I appreciated the stylization much more as an adult — sure, it’s bright and somewhat aggressive, but it’s alive and alluring in a way few other things are. I think it maintains cohesion and visual readability well, personally, from a more analytical and older approach.

I don’t think enjoying it can strictly be labelled nostalgia, though I do feel similarly about many things.

to prove that I’m not exclusively some newhead apologist beholden only to the crisp and illustrative…

I still think all the DKCs look bizarrely great. that stylization somehow truly held up as this perfect dated hyperreal unreal that makes them still a joy to play.

Yoshi’s Island too — a masterpiece in the opposite direction. Two bright beacons of the SNES era.
I would love a modern take on both of those. For DKC, they should just keep literally everything the same, except with modern resolutions. Yoshi's Island could look even more more incredible by blending the original style and resolution with something like the Ori games... No? ☺️

For me it's aged like fine wine. Nintendo went a completely different way from what was popular at the time and embraced a child-like sort of magic they're so renowned for. In 1994/95 all the rage was on increased realism and violence and blood. Nintendo was behind the competition hardware-wise as well. Let's not forget that N64 came out a full 2 years after the competition. They had to pump some life into the aging SNES, so they simultaneously chased realism(DKC) and embraced their low-bit charm (YI). The result is 2 games that made history for very different reasons, with YI aging gracefully. Imo it course.

…you really haven’t played them, have you?

they made the whole games look like that, both in fluid motion and stills
...Yes? I've played them many times. All of the promo screenshots for both games are very suspiciously perfect in how they're composed, and it's pretty obvious the one of the Eye of the Tiger level is nonsense because that layout would be impossible in the actual level and simply kill you. And if the enemy were really in the process of being hit there should be more effects on screen like the lums being collected.

At best it's "technically in-game" where they used dev tools to arrange everything together and get the perfect frame, but I still find most of them have this uncannily perfect look where they didn't go for capturing what normal gameplay looks like, no one playing the game could ever possibly get these images with all of the characters arranged and posed just so. I've always thought they looked very fake.

...Yes? I've played them many times. All of the promo screenshots for both games are very suspiciously perfect in how they're composed, and it's pretty obvious the one of the Eye of the Tiger level is nonsense because that layout would be impossible in the actual level and simply kill you. And if the enemy were really in the process of being hit there should be more effects on screen like the lums being collected.

At best it's "technically in-game" where they used dev tools to arrange everything together and get the perfect frame, but I still find most of them have this uncannily perfect look where they didn't go for capturing what normal gameplay looks like, no one playing the game could ever possibly get these images with all of the characters arranged and posed just so. I've always thought they looked very fake.
It's all the same in game assets with real levels, I could go and get images of all these, and my statement would still stand. The promotional screenshots were just easier to find in the highest quality. I don't think any effects were actually added here.

It's all the same in game assets with real levels, I could go and get images of all these, and my statement would still stand. The promotional screenshots were just easier to find in the highest quality. I don't think any effects were actually added here.
I'm not 100% sure the assets weren't downgraded in the actual game (though it depends on the version I guess, Origins Wii definitely does not look that good) but it is at least an accurate representation of what the art looks like. It just immediately bothered me because it looks so impossibly staged.

Some very good choices here. I know you said that you were limited to 30 choices, but there's still some surprising omissions.

Castlevania: Rondo of Blood
MV5BMTVlM2Q1YWYtOTE3Mi00ZmZjLWExMjEtMDlmZTUwMzkyNjkzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTk1MjA5MjM@._V1_.jpg
yeah yeah, I know. Symphony of the Night is basically Rondo of Blood but better looking, even down to stealing sprites from Rondo to use in that game! But that doesn't mean Rondo shouldn't be counted. In fact, the fact that this game can stand up against PS1 pixel art is a testament to just how good this game looks. This might just be the best looking 16-bit game period, the only things that might beat it are Chrono Trigger and Trials of Mana.

Demon's Crest
demon-s-crest-snes-screenshot-another-boss-battle.gif
As much as I like the visuals of Mega Man X, I think the clean Sentai inspired visuals have always held it back a bit from being as consistently interesting as the likes of Castlevania or Metal Slug. Well, Demon's Crest is Mega Man X quality visuals with Castlevania art direction, only this time it's even more gothic and depressing than a Castlevania game! This game is seriously underrated, I recommend people to check it out, and while it might not have the same consistentcy as a Rondo or a Metal Slug, it is genuinely one of the best looking 16 bit games period. It's Symphony of the Night but good! Mega Man X but better!
Just look at this beautiful poorly stretched intro screen!

Street Fighter Alpha II/3
c79fde2e0145ddec8b7d341b1215bc92.gif

ss_2600365fee9299bb80e6bc10b00dcdcb19be7393.1920x1080.jpg
Ok, by now I have to admit something: I haven't been picking the most flattering images for these games. I'm busy today and simply don't have the time to be looking for the most beautiful screenshots imaginable. But trust me, this game does look great. People always talk about how good Third Strike looks but honestly I think Alpha 2/3 deserve to be right beside it in the conversation for the best looking 2D fighting game of all time. The stylized anime look made some characters look better than their Third Strike counterparts, in my opinion, Ryu and Ken being some obvious examples - they look so cute! This art style really felt like the first time Street Fighter characters were given more personality than the thinner interpretations they had since Street Fighter II. I really dig the anime almost chibi art style going on here. And so while the pixel art might not technically be as impressive as Third Strike, I think it looks in a lot of cases just as good.

Darkstalkers 3
f389d90bc5752c58dd087b949a65ec60.gif

darkstalkers3-stage-morrigan-deserted-chateau.gif

21aa19b95d01414a72dfd6f49cb9d436.gif

giphy.gif
I mean, come on. It's Darkstalkers. You're combining some of the best pixel art in the industry with Capcom character designs that were actually great straight out of the box! So much personality, it's insane for a 1997 game. Basically Capcom's Guilty Gear.

Mega Man X4
2.jpg

9144026-mega-man-x4-windows-boom.jpg
As I said previously, Mega Man X games tend to have some of the best pixel art relative to their era, but the clean Sentai inspired art style, while super well done, can hold them back a bit from being quite as interesting as their Konami or SNK contemporaries. With that being said, I do think one of them would probably make the top 30 best looking sidescrollers of all time, and if I had to choose one it'd probably be Mega Man X4. Weirdly enough despite being a very beloved game in the Mega Man X series ... I couldn't find any good screenshots of it, though I didn't look very hard. But it's basically good for a lot of the same reasons the SF Alpha series was good, Mega Man X games were now so high quality they were able to make the games basically look like pixelated anime. To be honest the sprite work isn't the biggest step up from SNES to PS1 ever seen, but the game just looks great, especially if you're playing as Zero. Alternatively, I think I might even put X2 above X honestly, because while its visuals are more inconsistent, at least the stage variety focuses on more naturalistic and interesting locations than the original.

Guilty Gear Accent Core +R
ss_bbc6fe2d9750f3bbb7ae9cfcc7c4b19bdd9c4bd1.1920x1080.jpg

guilty-gear-xx-accent-core-plus-r1.png

GGXXACPR.jpeg
This game just looks amazing. One thing that I find very interesting about Capcom, SNK and ArcSys is that it feels like they all evolved pixel art in very different ways. SNK reminds me more of the arcade, with an insane amount of quality but less of a focus on clean smoothness, Capcom by comparison had very high quality pixel art as well but more with a console oriented bent by the late 90s with their games look very smooth, and ArcSys is probably the most different of them all, this might sound weird, but the way they've handled outlines in their old pixel art games always reminded me of PC gaming, like a really high quality DOS game. The pixelated outlines are usually pretty jagged and this is especially true in motion, it's less obvious in these screenshots because Accent Core +R is their best pixel art in HD, but I think it makes sense when you actually see them in motion especially the older games. They feel like they're an evolution on a DOS game.

I have to agree with the other posters that while Strive looks very good, it's probably the worst art style they've had in a while though. Xrd did the whole 2D 3D look better because iirc the character models were 2D sprites even if they were rendered in 3D, and Accent Core just looks better than Strive, especially because they actually kept some of the gothic nature of Guilty Gear.

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-pc-game-steam-wallpaper-5.jpg

2190505-ultimate-marvel-vs-capcom-3-screenshot.jpg

Ultimate-Marvel-vs.-Capcom-3-Screenshot-10.jpg
Okay look I know. Out of all the games I've listed, this is probably the most flawed from aside from X4. It suffers clearly from being a 7th gen game, and the character models while quite good for a crossover game aren't like amazing. Also these screenshots are in 720p instead of the full HD PC version. But it's just so fun to look at. Anyone who's watched this game knows how fun it is to watch. I don't even like Western comic book art styles, but this is probably the best version of tha done in a video game, period. The cel shading is so good and I really like how they gave the game a darker aesthetic. It's honestly one of the few times where I think the look of a 3D game just easily outclasses the look of the pixel art games that came before it, even though those games look great.

Rayman Legends
At this point in the list, I started getting lazy. We all know what this looks like. I don't need to post screenshots. All I'll say is don't let people gaslight you into saying Origins look almost as good. It doesn't, it doesn't even deserve to be in the same conversation. That game looked very generic by comparison and wasn't nearly as lush.

Dragon Ball FighterZ
I don't even like the look of Dragon Ball or the character designs, and I still think this looks great. I genuinely think this is one of the best looking sidescrollers, which is weird because again I don't like the look of the series in general.

Touhou Luna Nights
When it comes to "HD pixel art" as I've seen it called (as in High Definition but not literally just HD), I'm usually kind of weary. Maybe it's just me but making pixel art super high quality to the point where it basically doesn't have jagged edges can often make the games look kind of boring or at the very least make them suffer from a visual identity as they don't look like pixel art games but also aren't hand drawn. I didn't like the look of this game when I saw it being played, it looked too clean, but once I played it for myself I really came around to it. It's probably the best looking indie game I've played, even above the Symphony of the Night clone they made which was more polished but had much more generic art direction.

Lastly I'll say ... maybe it's just me, but while SNK were clearly the King of Pixel Art with Metal Slug and King of Fighters, I don't think they ever really won with Fatal Fury. The original games look super generic even compared to Street Fighter with some really bland character designs, and while Mark of the Wolves was a big step up and definitely is one of the best looking fighting games of all time, it suffers from having characters with even weirder proportions and again the new casts design just isn't as memorable as Third Strike. It sucks because their color choices were usually on point and honestly better, but I think KOF is really where they were the king of fighters.

I'm not 100% sure the assets weren't downgraded in the actual game (though it depends on the version I guess, Origins Wii definitely does not look that good) but it is at least an accurate representation of what the art looks like. It just immediately bothered me because it looks so impossibly staged.
Wii definitely doesn't look good because that runs at 480p, and it's assets were probably downscaled to fit better. But the HD versions do look like that.

sorry, I misread your first post, I thought you had implied that you’d only ever seen the screenshots

my bet would be that the screenshots were taken in a dev mode of the final build, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they turned the game speed down to achieve cooler shots more easily.

like you said, probably not the Wii version, since that would output at 480i — but Xbox One? sure!

anyways, I’ll defend Hollow Knight to the death, but I’m not trying to exclusively be a contrarian — your post is incredible and the discussion following is exciting!

kinda skipped to discourse mode and just thought the praise really hard without remembering to type it, lmao… apologies!

I have a controversial inclusion — one that I can understand more mixed feelings on…

Celeste

some of the low-pixel shit mixed with some more modern panache leads to a really unique sort of in-between, and some of the environments and environmental effects really, really shine (bubbling things full of stars, etc)

thought it was worth discussing!

I’d say Shovel Knight too, for its very distinct boost of a more restricted NES style

and Gris isn’t my favorite game, but… it really has a distinct and beautiful presentation

Last edited:

So if you missed those console eras in their time, would it be safe to say you haven't seen Yoshi's Island on a CRT? Because as a lover of that game and its visual style, even I'll admit it loses something when it's very digitally crisp. I think it was one of those examples where the artists were working with some of the eccentricities of CRT smoothing to make something display better than its assets technically looked. And even CRT filters don't do it justice.

So I mean yeah, there might be some nostalgia for me to say it's gorgeous because I grew up with it, but I also see the difference between how it was displayed then vs now and will tell ya the modern screens do make the game look a bit worse. Same thing with the DKC series, too. I love them all, but they do look a bit crispy/chunky through a modern screen, and the colors don't blend the same way.

I’m also pretty confident that my wife’s game will absolutely fit here when it’s finished

OVjUcct.jpeg

1L5Hyps.jpeg

2IJYnlv.jpeg

XnHiZiY.jpeg

So if you missed those console eras in their time, would it be safe to say you haven't seen Yoshi's Island on a CRT? Because as a lover of that game and its visual style, even I'll admit it loses something when it's very digitally crisp. I think it was one of those examples where the artists were working with some of the eccentricities of CRT smoothing to make something display better than its assets technically looked. And even CRT filters don't do it justice.

So I mean yeah, there might be some nostalgia for me to say it's gorgeous because I grew up with it, but I also see the difference between how it was displayed then vs now and will tell ya the modern screens do make the game look a bit worse. Same thing with the DKC series, too. I love them all, but they do look a bit crispy/chunky through a modern screen, and the colors don't blend the same way.
The first time I played it was emulation with a CRT. Maybe it's just me!

a vibrant rejection of a doomed 3D future

the sensibility of a crayon sketch pulled into game reality
Nintendo went a completely different way from what was popular at the time and embraced a child-like sort of magic they're so renowned for. In 1994/95 all the rage was on increased realism and violence and blood.
I totally get that - and spiritually I'm totally with you - but I just wasn't there at the time.

In defense of the game - Nintendo's SNES output is my least favorite visually. A lot of the sprites feel overshaded, and the result to my eye feels like super low res 3D. Like there are details there that don't quite resolve. And the already garish style for Yoshi's Island + overshading is something that makes me a little sick to my stomach. I have the same reaction to Super Mario World

you’re entitled to your extremely wrong opinion

[SCREENSHOTS GALORE]
Jumping off of this, here's a screenshot of the room with Marissa in the Pleasure House. The soft pink and white glow of the room combined with the music here leads to one of my favorite rooms in the game.

I think it's alright though that OP doesn't like Hollow Knight's look. Its a somewhat minimalist look, with each areas' shift in color palette being kinda subtle. Def not for everybody, but I adore it.

23tbGxAPQ82LHBdtP9tiXDTmqdVo2GiQQE3KgKJXyHA8MBCdpzQD73RP66VVDqezN611y.png

I have the same reaction to Super Mario World
I definitely don’t have the same visceral rejection of SNES graphics

but I will say that I don’t especially like how Super Mario World looks. Yoshi’s Island feels like a huge improvement to me, not that the two are meant to be the same.

I find it interesting how there's always one person who hates the way Yoshi's Island looks. For what it's worth, I don't really have nostalgia for it or even particularly like the game. In fact every game in the OP is before my time aside from Tropical Freeze, which came out when I was in high school. I played a few of them as a kid, but Kirby 64 is the only one I would say left an impact. I'm not entirely sure I'm impartial in praising its visuals, especially with how inextricable they are from the music for me (I didn't bring it up, but that was a major factor for a lot of these games, with few exceptions outside of the ones I've just never played myself.)

I first played Yoshi's Island on the GBA after YI DS, and didn't think much more of the original at the time besides its contents being a little more interesting. So I'm viewing it completely from a "this is what modern emulated versions look like" perspective.

I definitely don’t have the same visceral rejection of SNES graphics

but I will say that I don’t especially like how Super Mario World looks. Yoshi’s Island feels like a huge improvement to me, not that the two are meant to be the same.
You can sort of see Super Mario World graphics turning into Super Donkey graphics with sprites like Reznor and some of the unused stuff in prototypes, and then how a lot of Super Donkey's art made it into Yoshi's Island even though they hadn't really established the crayon look yet, so there is a connection there.

I think Yoshi's Island is Nintendo's best-looking sidescroller on the system and Super Mario World their worst though. Just very plain, and a lot of odd sprites like green Bowser or Yoshi's orange arms. Some things have black outlines and some use colored outlines. Peach is an especially ugly mix of both. None of the Koopalings have black outlines except for Lemmy and Wendy, who look like they're from a completely different game when put next to the others. A few sprites like Blargg or Lakitu's cloud use no outlines at all.

I have a controversial inclusion — one that I can understand more mixed feelings on…

Celeste

some of the low-pixel shit mixed with some more modern panache leads to a really unique sort of in-between, and some of the environments and environmental effects really, really shine (bubbling things full of stars, etc)

It's a weird style of pixel art, but the parts where Golden Ridge opens up and you can see the whole sky are pretty breathtaking.

How has no one mentioned Ori yet? Two of the most beautiful games I’ve ever played.

Cuphead too, if that counts.
because moon studios sucks shit

people have mentioned ori by going “why has nobody mentioned ori”

I feel like those games would fit in this thread but I have a loooooot of nitpicks with them — the glowy blown-out oversaturated color, immense bloom, layering obstructions in a sort of annoying way, etc.

I didn’t add them because I’m not a fan. but if any of the people who have posted “why has nobody mentioned ori” just added them instead, maybe the question wouldn’t keep being asked…

Also on the subject of character animation, Guilty Gear Strive deserves mention for making 3D character models in a fighting game look amazing while most developers are just beginning to make them look passable. The cel-shaded illusion of an anime is probably the most convincing it's ever been. ...So long as you don't look at the backgrounds, which are kind of just in a different art style altogether.
This one is actually something that dates back to Xrd, Strive's older and more complicated predecessor, which looks just as good, if not slightly better due to more varied character design and less extreme use of shadows.

elphelt-ggxrd-flowers.gif

Elphelt is really cool ok?

The technique is actually really fucking cool - they basically design individual keyframes with iconic poses and then have the 3D animation "pop" into those movements. It results in a 3D model fighter that still "feels" like it's a 2D fighter when you play it, with moves coming out instantly and in general the game not feeling restrained by the animations. It helps avoid a lot of the "jank" that games like Tekken have.

Very similar technique to how the Ace Attorney series did it's 3D actually.

because moon studios sucks shit

people have mentioned ori by going “why has nobody mentioned ori”

I feel like those games would fit in this thread but I have a loooooot of nitpicks with them — the glowy blown-out oversaturated color, immense bloom, layering obstructions in a sort of annoying way, etc.

I didn’t add them because I’m not a fan. but if any of the people who have posted “why has nobody mentioned ori” just added them instead, maybe the question wouldn’t keep being asked…
Didn’t catch those other posts. I’d have posted some images of Ori stuff if I wasn’t stuck on mobile.

I’m a sucker for bloom and oversaturation so Ori’s artstyle is my jam. Love that shit.

Didn’t catch those other posts. I’d have posted some images of Ori stuff if I wasn’t stuck on mobile.

I’m a sucker for bloom and oversaturation so Ori’s artstyle is my jam. Love that shit.
okay, absolutely related to nothing else

I’ve seen a few people say this now — what’s the difficulty with images on mobile? I almost exclusively post mobile

no slight on anyone I just keep seeing it and I’m confused

Yeah the Ori games are breathtaking visually, for my tastes at least. Notable as impressive Switch ports as well, especially Will of the Wisps still being 60fps.

Eyestones-and-Spirit-Arcs.jpg

Ori_And_The_Will_Of_The_Wisps_3_8_2020_10_23_02_PM.png

15.jpg

okay, absolutely related to nothing else

I’ve seen a few people say this now — what’s the difficulty with images on mobile? I almost exclusively post mobile

no slight on anyone I just keep seeing it and I’m confused
Touchscreen vs. keyboard and mouse. The latter is much more intuitive for getting image links and copy/pasting.

Not a huge deal but for something lighter like forum posting, it’s enough of a dealbreaker for me.

Touchscreen vs. keyboard and mouse. The latter is much more intuitive for getting image links and copy/pasting.

Not a huge deal but for something lighter like forum posting, it’s enough of a dealbreaker for me.
Me, who makes, edits, and subtitles gifs, uploads them to imgur, and posts the bbcode for them on Fami, all in a mobile browser on a 7-year old phone:
632.jpg

I'm aware this woulda been funnier if it was a gif but 🤷

sorry, I misread your first post, I thought you had implied that you’d only ever seen the screenshots

my bet would be that the screenshots were taken in a dev mode of the final build, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they turned the game speed down to achieve cooler shots more easily.

like you said, probably not the Wii version, since that would output at 480i — but Xbox One? sure!

anyways, I’ll defend Hollow Knight to the death, but I’m not trying to exclusively be a contrarian — your post is incredible and the discussion following is exciting!

kinda skipped to discourse mode and just thought the praise really hard without remembering to type it, lmao… apologies!

Celeste

I’d say Shovel Knight too, for its very distinct boost of a more restricted NES style

and Gris isn’t my favorite game, but… it really has a distinct and beautiful presentation
I thought Celeste was repulsive before playing it, but the game(play) and story are just so irresistibly charming and intoxicating that I did a full 180 on it. We agree 💯. Ditto for Shovel Knight.

I haven't played Gris, is it any good?

Jumping off of this, here's a screenshot of the room with Marissa in the Pleasure House. The soft pink and white glow of the room combined with the music here leads to one of my favorite rooms in the game.

I think it's alright though that OP doesn't like Hollow Knight's look. Its a somewhat minimalist look, with each areas' shift in color palette being kinda subtle. Def not for everybody, but I adore it.

23tbGxAPQ82LHBdtP9tiXDTmqdVo2GiQQE3KgKJXyHA8MBCdpzQD73RP66VVDqezN611y.png
One thing I never see mentioned about HK is its incredible mood-setting. The screen gets darker and HK himself casts an aura around himself that glows dimmer with each hit taken.

And that soundtrack man. I mean...God** it's just so ***** perfect 💜

Back
Top Bottom