• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The 2024 Completed Games Thread

1. Spider Man 2
2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

3. Kuru Kuru Kururin

A short, fun puzzle game on GBA NSO! There's lots of replay value if you want to go for high scores or perfect runs, but I will leave that to the people who are actually good at this game. It took me many retries to make it through some of the later levels.
Great game! I played it last year on NSO for the first time and would love to see it return sometimes. An eShop title would be a good fit maybe? I remember being pretty surprised by how simple the core of the game was; all the levels consist of only a handful of different objects, yet they are all still quite unique. It feels to me they've barely scratched the surface of its potential.

5. Pokemon Violet: The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero + Epilogue (Switch)

So after being on the fence about it for a while, I finally decided to get and play through the DLC. I don't regret that, but I feel like, over time, my attitude towards SV has cooled and the DLCs didn't really do enough to restore that.

So, elephant in the room, the performance is still atrocious and the environmental graphics are still awful. Treading familiar ground here so I'll just say that it's sorta baffling that they kept the sweeping intro of the Terarium biomes in even though it causes the environments to flicker horribly. Like just, front and centre looking awful and it just looks like they don't care. Kinda sums it up really.

I found Teal Mask a bit meh. Kitakami didn't seem all that interesting to me as a locale. The story is ok I guess, but I don't think I've hated a Pokemon NPC quite as much as I do Kieran. I just wanted to punt him at every opportunity. The difficulty was fine. I ditched my base game team and made a new one from Pokemon I caught on the way to the town, so I actually lost a couple of fights just because I hadn't trained them at all. Once I got rolling it was smooth sailing and I enjoyed the sequential boss fight vs the legendary, as well as the Ursaluna sidequest.

Indigo Disk is better. The move to double battles and trainers now packing competitive-tier strategies made the fights legitimately challenging and fun for a casual playthrough. It's always struck me as weird how the game de-emphasises double battles even though they're literally the main official format, so it was nice to see them here. I hope they were kinda experimenting with going more in that direction in future.

BBQs are kinda annoyingly grindy and uninteresting, I didn't unlock much but might go back to get the starters and stuff.

Unfortunately the story revolves around Kieran again and he's an even worse little shit than in Teal Mask. Urgh. Oh and the whole legendary that was part of the marketing is basically relegated to a tiny bit at the end that feels tacked on. Area Zero Underdepths was kind of a disappointment, would have liked a whole new explorable area but that was probably too much to ask.

The Epilogue is fine. I like it brings all of my friends together (unfortunately Kieran is there too). It's kinda fun and has good music, and I like the mythical's design. I wish more mythicals did stuff like this.

Overall it was ok. Think Gen 9 is a bit of a bust honestly, but I hope they take some lessons for Gen 10. Knowing Game Freak, they'll take the wrong ones, but I live in hopes.

I just finished Outlast. I am not sure if I recommend the game, but I do not mind the experience.
In General the game works well enough, but I am seemingly not into "Horror" games like this.
I mostly played it like a speed run, instead of hiding I run to the next point of interest and hoped I won't be killed.
I was never really scared in the game, only annoyed if I have to redo some section, because I was caught.
I did not like the filter, which was on even without the camera. Something on a pc version I would tried to deactivate.
The effect with the camera I thought was OK.

Regardless If you already a couple of hours in, I would surely recommend to finish the game since the later game has some interesting development.

The game is quite short and I think often reduced in price.

Blaster Master Zero 2
Brotato
Crosscode
Fire Emblem Engage
Murder by Numbers
Outlast whistleblower
Persona 5 royal
The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition

aegis rim
ai soumnium files
Animal Crossing
Astral Chain
atelier ryza
Axium Verge
Bastion
Blaster Master Zero
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Castlevania: Vampire’s Kiss
Celeste
DAEMON X MACHINA
Donut County
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Dragon Quest® XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
Far lone sails
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Gris
Guacamele
Guacamele 2
Hollow Knight
hyrule warriors aoc
Iconoclasts
KEMONO FRIENDS PICROSS
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Little Nightmares Complete Edition
Logic Puzzle Collection: Sudoku - Permudoku - Nonodoku
manifold garden
Mario Odyssey
Mario Wonder
Metroid™: Samus Returns
Monter Hunte rise
nier automat
Nonograms Prophecy
Ori and the blind fores
Outlast
Owlboy
Oxenfree
Paper Maior The origami Kink
PICROSS LORD OF THE NAZARICK
Picross S1
PICROSS S2
Picross S3
Picross S4
Rogue Legacy
Shantae: Half- Genie Hero Ultimate Edition
Shin Megami Tesai 5
Spiritfarer
Splatoon 2
Splatoon 3
Steam World Dig 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Smash Bros.™ Ultimate
The legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
The legend of Zelda Links Awakening
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Expansion Pass
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
The Talos Principle
The Turing Test
Timespinner
Tokio Mirage Seasions #FE
Torna
Transistor
Unravel 2
Voxelgram
What Remains of Edith Finch
Xenoblade 2
Xenoblade 3
Xenoblade DE

51 Worldwide Games
7 Billion Humans
ABZÛ
Aria of sorrow
Arms
Bayonetta 3
Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
Blaster Master Zero 2
BLAZBLUE CROSS TAG BATTLE Ver2.0
borderlands
borderlands -1
borderlands 2
Brotato
castlevania advanced collection
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Cities Skyland
Crosscode
Dead Cells
DRAGON BALL FIGHTERZ - Ultimate Edition
Fast RMX
Fire Emblem Engage
Fire Emblem Engage Expansion Pass
Fire Emblem Warriors
Golf Story
Human Resource Machine
Kaze and the Wild Masks
Kill la Kill
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle Gold Edition
Mario Kart™ 8 Deluxe
Metro
Metroid Prime Remastered
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate
Murder by Numbers
NBA 2K20
ONE PIECE アンリミテッドワールド R デラックスエディション
ori and the will of the wisps
Outlast whistleblower
Persona 5 royal
Persona strickers
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Sid Meier’s Civilization VI
Subnautica
Superliminal
Syberia 1
Syberia 2
tase of vesperia
The Bridge
The House in Fata Morgana: Dreams of the Revenants Edition
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt — Complete Edition
This Way Madness Lies
Three hopes
Valkyrie Chronical 4

2. Dragon Quest ( SNES*)

I avoid at all cost to talk about videogames aging in terms of its mechanics, gameplay elements, and presentation even when I give my impressions or opinions, since I feel is most of the time pretty contradictory and conflates arguments negatively, and then brings down older games that are still great examples of their genre under an umbrella of a flawed decades old title. I just talk about them as flaws or positives depending on execution at most there are inconveniences that were done away with once controllers had enough buttons to map more functions, now I'll talk about DQ.

The original Dragon Quest is still a solid adventure, if a pretty simplistic one. The structure of the game is pretty brilliant honestly, you have 2 main objectives, defeat the Dragonlord and rescue the princess. The game separates the difficulty of enemies through the various bridges, something an NPC alludes to, so you are set to grind enemies in each area until you feel prepared enough level and equipment wise to move on to another area, you play as a single character with its physical attacks and magic to fight enemies. The balance feels just right, and the game boils down to a back and forth of balancing your magic and attacks to defeat enemies and survive through the various caves and dungeons, plus the overworld finding items, legendary equipment and everything you need to complete the goals of the game.

The element that brings down the game is the very repetitive and simplistic nature of the gameplay loop, fights are fair but they are also a 1v1 affair that aren't particularly dynamic, at most is a resource management thing, but the rest is great, the music, the simple fantasy world, the now legendary enemy designs, and again its structure.

The adventure feel reminds me a lot of something like the original Zelda game, just that you grind for EXP here instead of bombs.

2) Toree 3D
Kinda have half the remix levels left but they’re brutal as heck. Credits rolled so it counts. Fun and cute but randomly super disturbing

Previous games:
1) Riccchhhhhaaarrrrd Metal Wolf Chaos XD

Finished Another Code: Recollection. A wonderful experience that I wish wasn't over. I can only hope that we have Hotel Dusk remakes, and sequels to either franchise in store next. Or perhaps a new story from the same staff? I want more...

Wrote up more detailed thoughts in the Another Code thread, if you're interested in reading them.

1) Signalis
2) Gnosia
3) Sylvie miniature
4) Another Code: Recollection

I just "finished" Tera Online, at least all the main story quests plus the first expansion, and leveled up my main character. It's a game I played with my friends 9 years ago and gave me very good moments, so I always wanted to revisit it again and feel a bit nostalgic.

PC servers officially shut down 2 years ago, but I really wanted to play it again so I looked for private servers options until I discovered something that made me very happy, the game is still alive on PS4 and Xbox.

It's a beautiful game (knowing it launched more than a decade ago) the combat system is still great, especially compared with other MMOs (I played Berserker class mostly, but tried Ninja too), the music is fantastic (made by Fallout composer Inon Zur), story is okay and quest are what you would expect from an MMO. It's a charismatic game to a certain degree. Most characters are heavily sexualized, but honestly, only the Elin race felt weird (like fairy girls), and sadly some cool classes were locked to Elin.

Apart from that, the game has some problems and it's kind of understandable it died on PC, sometimes it can be very repetitive, lack of updates and optimization for modern hardware, a world less interesting than WoW or ESO, and I'm sure there are a lot more.

Anyway, I had a great time playing it and would recommend it to anyone who wants a simple asian action RPG experience, including people who don't care about the MMO part of the game.

Finished two games so far this year

1) Hentai Golf (Switch) : so, TO EXPLAIN, I'm currently working on an article about "who makes those hentai shovelware for the Switch?", so I had to buy some, and this one appeared to have its credits locked behind the ending, so I beat it (it took me 90 minutes)... only to discover that the credits were actually hidden in a sub-menu. But anyway, a completed game is a completed game. It was obviously the worst golf game I've ever played, with less gameplay depth than Golf on the NES. I still don't understand who these games are for.

2) Hitman: Blood Money – Reprisal (Switch) : Hitman Blood Money is still a very good game. It was very innovative back then, obviously today it pales in comparison to the more modern Hitman but it's still very cleverly designed and I found out new ways of killing the target that I had never thought of. But unfortunately this is a bare minimum remaster, it's just Hitman Blood Money in 1080p with a new ugly UI. On top of that, the controls are unreliable, with some prompts never showing up (which can ruin your game if you're going for Silent Assassin on every mission), and I've had six crashes during the game. It costs 20 bucks on the eShop, so if you've been dying to replay Blood Money go for it, but that game deserved better.

I'm currently working on an article about "who makes those hentai shovelware for the Switch?", so I had to buy some
I’m so sorry

so if you've been dying to replay Blood Money go for it, but that game deserved better.
Damn, I was hoping for a better quality port… ah well, Steam it is

I just "finished" Tera Online
That’s amazing! I didn’t know there were still private servers kicking around

#4 - Saga of the Moon Priestess

This a short Zelda-clone that released today on the eShop, which was originally released on itch.io two years ago. At £5, I can't necessarily complain: but it doesn't really stick out amongst the sea of other Zelda-inspired games.

The premise is you are an orphan called Sarissa who can talk to the "Goddess of the Moon", who sets off to rescue the prince of a small kingdom called Lunaria. Five dungeons later and you find him, awkwardly say "Hi" and the game cuts to black. A truly awe inspiring story. Of course, the story isn't why you'd play this game - the gameplay is clearly the focus here. In this department, things are fine - if very uninspired.

All your items are pretty much taken from Zelda - bombs, bow and arrow, fire rod, and so forth. The only interesting item is the "Swap Chain", which acts like the hookshot but swaps the position of you and the item you grab on to. I haven't played enough classic 2D Zelda, particularly the two Oracle games, to know if a similar item exists there. However, this item is introduced around 30 minutes before the game ends, which is a shame. Furthermore, this item can cause softlocks if you're hit while the game is swapping your position, which is unfortunate. On this note, the fourth dungeon also has a potential softlock, which the game seems to recognise by adding anti-softlock measures (removing a key block)... naturally, the dungeon should be designed to not introduce potential softlocks to begin with!

Otherwise, the dungeons are fine. Some feature too much backtracking - exaccerbated by Sarissa's awfully slow movement - but are otherwise perfectly serviceable. The last dungeon does hide a room behind an unmarked wall you can bomb, which is quite the faux paus in my view. That said, the dungeons make solid use of all the items in the game, and they're just labryinthine enough to be enjoyable to explore. The music for the dungeons is quite good, which helps. The world map is also fine, if cumbersome to navigate at times due to the required item swapping: like the original release of Link's Awakening, you can only hold one item at a time.

The game does need more polish, though. The audio balancing is slightly off, and I encountered numerous glitches in my playthrough - mainly that the boss music stopped playing after the first dungeon, and that my dungeon map would seemingly disappear at random. These are minor blemishes that could be easily patched out. In all, this game is perfectly fine. It doesn't do anything standout, and does feel rather derivative, but it also doesn't really have any major issues except the softlocks and minor glitches.

7/10

1. Yooka-Laylee (05/01/2024, 7/10)
  2. Buckshot Roulette (06/01/2024, 8/10)
  3. Another Code: Recollection (19/01/2024, 8.25/10)
  4. Saga of the Moon Priestess (24/01/2024, 7/10)

3) Piczle Cross Adventure
Fun overall, cute presentation, fun puzzles and a good time overall

Previous games:
2) Toree 3D

By system:
3DS - 3
DS - 5
GBA - 1

1. Pokemon X [3DS] - 15.5 hours - 5.5/10
  2. Elite Beat Agents [(DS game on) 3DS] - 2 hours - 8.5/10
  3. The Sims: Bustin Out [(GBA game on) 3DS] - 9 hours - 10/10
  4. The Urbz: Sims in the City [(DS game on) 3DS] - 12 hours - 11/10
  5. The Sims 2 [(DS game on) 3DS] - 9 hours - 8/10
  6. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity [3DS] - 12 hours - 7/10
  7. Rhythm Heaven [(DS game on) 3DS] - 5 hours - 10/10
  8. Pokemon Conquest [(DS game on) 3DS] - 11 hours - 10/10
  9. Fire Emblem Fates: Revelations [3DS] - 12 hours - 10/10
    Managed to tick one more game off before IW launches and consumes me for the foreseeable future: I see this one cop a lot of flak on line but fuck it, I love Fates and Revelations is probably the path I enjoy most of them all. I spent 250+ hours across all three routes back when it launched and playing again for the first time now a decade later, it's just as great as when it launched.

The story is overly convoluted, but in a really fun way. The characters are a lot more shallow than 3 Houses or even Awakening, but there are a lot more of them, and plenty of fun and charming ones in the mix. Arthur and Kagero are my faves and going through their supports again was like seeing an old friend. Music is great, graphics are fantastic for 3DS and the My Castle system is fun to experiment with too. I'll be back later this year to play through Conquest and Birthright too.

Minoria (final update)
Previous review: https://famiboards.com/threads/the-2024-completed-games-thread.8498/post-961605

So I finally decided to drop this. The levelling system is busted: At one point, enemies started one-shotting me and things I could easily kill before would now require many more hits. The enemy variety didn't change, so I was effectively fighting the same enemies since the start of the game, but they now take a lot more time to die and can kill me much more easily. It looks as if levelling my character made them level up much more. As the game goes on, I'm doing less damage and taking more, I can't really understand what the purpose of the levelling system is.

Bosses just double down on this problem: They have very simple movesets, take a while to kill and can one shot you, so you end up in pretty boring fights where it's easy to die. The counter move won't work against bosses and they have many moves without wind-up, so the only way to fight them is to dodge in advance. So bosses end up being a repetition of hit-hit-hit-dodge. You don't need to learn any patterns or think of any clever methods to beat them or evade any powerful attack they may throw at you. I've beaten most bosses in 1 or 2 tries and can't remember any of them, they really fail to leave an impression.

The game is a mix of non-linear areas linked linearly: You uncover an area, explore it and find the required keys to continue, beat the boss and move on to the next area. There is no interconnectivity between new and old areas, and there's really no need to return to old areas either, you just move along to the next one and forget the old ones. The areas themselves are designed very poorly: They're clearly planned to be traversed in one very specific direction, but due to the many shortcuts it's very easy to take a "wrong" or "unintended in design" turn and end up going through the area in the opposite direction. This has the effect that when you enter a room, the enemies will be facing the other way, so they won't attack you. The platforms and everything are clearly intended to be navigated from the other side, so you end up going through a clunky room where the challenge the devs had intended just fails. It also feels like the designers didn't consider that at some points you'd have some improved movement options like double jumps and air dashes and failed to account for them.

Also, enemies respawn when you leave the screen, Mega Man style. All of this, along with there being no fast travelling options, made exploration really tedious and combat not fun at all. So I decided I've had enough and decided to drop the game without finishing it. I don't recommend this one and it's been a huge disappointment after the excellent memory I have of Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight. I'm now extremely wary of getting Moonlight Farewell.

Link to main post: https://famiboards.com/threads/the-2024-completed-games-thread.8498/post-947076

Last edited:
8. Robotech: The Macross Saga
A boring GBA shmup with RPG elements where your score is used to enchance your transformer ship.
It's not good. Provides a lot of replayability through locking a lot of pilots behind what I guess is game clears with various other characters/difficulty levels, but the game is slow and samey. I could barely finish it one time, let alone 5 or so times to unlock other characters (which I guess aren't even that different)

While playing on Standard difficulty I never got below 10 lives. It's as if the devs realized that the difficulty is a little out there thanks to your ship having the biggest hit box known to man, so they decided to shower you with extra lives.

If you want to play this, heed my advice: Power stat is not Power. Do not pick a character with highest Power, as she also has the lowest Strength which leads to hilarious results where on the first level you barely scratch enemies. Strength is Power. Power is... I think it's how many rockets you can use before running out of ammo?

There's no real sense of speed to it all, and even if the game tries to mix itself up via Contra 3-like topdown stages, they aren't better. Ok if you want to see numbers go up and are very into shmups and need to play a new one, otherwise it's a game equivalent of a headache.
1.5/5

1. Unpacking (Switch) - 7.5/10

2. Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (Switch) - 9.5/10
A little background on this one - I'm not a big RPG person and have trouble getting through games that are super long or dialogue/story-heavy. I'm the type of person who likes to skip cutscenes (sorry!), so I was not quite sure what to expect when I decided to try another Xenoblade game. I played through about half of XCX and XC2, but I always gave up whenever I hit a difficult spot and never returned. For this one though, I decided to keep an open mind (and I'm glad I did).

The narrative and characters in this game are probably my favorite on the Switch and maybe my favorite in memory. I know that some aspects of their personalities and the story are kind of cheesy, but I really loved everything about them. Even the characters I wasn't a fan of were fun to hate lol. I found the battle system to be very intuitive and enjoyable compared to my previous experiences in the series, and the world really felt alive. I even looked forward to the cutscenes, which is the opposite of what I usually look for in games. I did have my gripes here and there - some of the battles went on too long and not all the sidequests are interesting, but this game is one of my favorite experiences on the Switch. Wrapping up this one makes me want to revisit the previous games again (maybe at a later date though - I'm all RPG'd out for a few months at least).

It's really close to (maybe even beats?) Pikmin 4 and ToTK for me.

Alright, I finally finished Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon.

What a gorgeous, fun and surprisingly cute game. I went into it not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised all the way through by its cozy and humorous charm. There's obviously a lot of PlatinumGames DNA in this (with the combat for example reminding me of Wonderful 101 and Astral Chain) but it feels like one of the more unique games in their catalogue, eschewing the stage based structure in favour of a more interconnected world with light metroidvania elements and a story that is actually very heartfelt. I was worried it'd turn into something plodding but there's a nice forward momentum that carries you through the entire game, constantly breaking up the pace with combat, puzzles and story - in those beautiful picture book style scenes - culminating in one of the coolest ending sequences.

In many places I felt like this must have been a Zelda game very early on, maybe during prototyping. From the way you progress through the levels to the subtle homages, it was like a love letter to those types of games. I could have easily seen this starring Zelda with a phantom armour instead of Cheshire but I was very glad that it was its own thing. If there's one thing I'd criticize it for it's the in-game map. There's parts that I found literally impossible to navigate because it got so confusing and I'm still not sure if I will go back to 100% it. But other than that, as I said, great game.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  2. Alan Wake II
  3. Rytmos
  4. Pizza Tower
  5. Hi-Fi Rush
  6. Humanity
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  8. Jusant
  9. Momodora: Moonlit Farewell
  10. Panzer Dragoon (Remake)
  11. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon

1. Portal: Revolution (PC)
I randomly got this neat little mod for Portal 2 recommended on Youtube. And thought "Why not give it a try?"
Gotta say, it's insanely polished for a fan project, the difficulty is just right and the few additions they do add fit well into the game. Feels almost as if the puzzles were designed by Valve people. The writing isn't as great as the original game but the voice acting is super good regardless. And honestly Portal 2 is a very high bar in regards to witty dialogue, so I'll give them a pass on that term. It's free and took me around 10 hours to complete, because I got stuck on one or two rooms. Maybe I'll go back to it and get another achievement or two 👀

2. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Switch)
Fantastic. I won't say perfect, there's some issues I have with it but the positives are definitely outweighting them. Love the world and how they turned Prince of Persia from a very orientalistic game into something feeling a lot more authentic. Loses a bit steam in the last third and unfortunately, even though it seems to have been developed with Switch as target platform, there's still some technical issues like the framerate dipping in big areas or the final boss glitching out on me (also, uh, some of the models in cutscenes are kinda ugly to look at). Also I'mma be honest: Analogue Stick kinda sucks for 2D platforming. More thoughts in the ST for the game :)

1- Dragon Quest Treasures (Switch)
2- F-zero (SNES)
3- The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey and Minnie (SNES)
4- Gunple: Gunman's Proof (SNES)

5- Go! Go! Ackman (SNES)
6- The Legend of Zelda (NSO)

As a huge Toriyama fan, I l've always wanted to try the Go! Go! Ackman games, which are based on a couple short stories he wrote for Shonen Jump about Ackman (a pun on Akuma), a child demon who is sent to earth to collect human souls for Satan. Ackman's arch nemesis is Tenshi (literally angel in japanese), a young cherub who is determined to kill Ackman and give back peace to earth, but tends to be more violent and cause more mess than Ackman himself. As you can probably imagine, the manga is delightfully silly and ridiculous, and one of my favorite things Toriyama has written, so I just had to try the games, which surprisingly ended up getting bigger than the source material (which is only 60 pages long) and had three entries on the SNES and one on the GB.

The first SNES is a very simple action platformer, Ackman can punch, air kick and throw bombs. There are a variety of weapons scattered around the stages but I found those of very limited use, since you lose them if you take even just one hit. I though that was a shame because the weapons could give the game some needed gameplay variety. Tenshi acts as a recurring antagonist, sending a series of professional killers to hunt Ackman, as well as a variety of entities from the angel army. The game is competent and charming, featuring beautiful artwork by Toriyama, a nice butt rock soundtrack and some ridiculous pieces of dialogue. It's also very short, so I'd say it's worth a try if you like Toriyama's work. I'll play 2 and 3 eventually.

I made a thread about my first time ever playing the original Legend of Zelda, so I'll be brief here. I'll just say this game was a huge surprise and ended up being a lot more fun than I was expecting. It does get a bit too obtuse by the end and I did recur to a guide, but I'm gonna say this is fair since I don't have any friends to ask about how to progress on it during lunch break. Had a lot of fun seeing the series origins for myself. Fuck blue knights.

Main Post

2x1_NSwitch_CrisisCoreFinalFantasy7Reunion_image1600w.jpg

GAME 5: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - Reunion
Nintendo Switch | Finished 26/1/24 | 17 Hours Played | 6/10

This was a game that felt like it was held back in many ways both necessary and - frankly - unnecessary. Despite the impressive graphical and gameplay overhaul this remake delivers, it's impossible to ever truly move away from the feeling that - at its core - you're playing a game held back by the PSP, outdated design decisions, and, frankly, the 'Final Fantasy VII Compilation' as a whole.

Now, to not be too negative, there are many positives here. The game's cutscenes are frequently impressive. The materia and materia fusing system, whilst confusing at times, is fun and versatile enough to create some nice variety in builds. I was even quite fond of the DMW system, and how it provided a sort of 'chaotic' element to RPG systems that you don't usually see. Also, despite having as much ghosting as a Luigi's Mansion game, the graphics were some of the nicest I've seen on Switch; it was generally just quite novel seeing the 'modern Final Fantasy' style on such an underpowered platform, and running fairly decently to boot. In terms of story, I think Zack is actually a pretty good character despite the weird voice-acting, and his scenes with Cloud are a particular highlight. His scenes with Aerith less so, but they're still worthwhile I'd say. I also think they, crucially, did that final-final scene really well, as melodramatic as it was. It's just a shame what came before it.

But that's sort of where the compliments end for me. The main story tries to change things up, but ultimately falls short with tiny environments that mostly just boil down to encounter corridors. All mixed in with a whole shitton of "unnecessary short cutscenes," that often really mess with the pacing. Outside of the Materia system, it's really just serviceable at best. Never feeling great to fight, explore, or quest.

What really shocked me here is just how small the main story is compared to what are essentially 300 almost-identical missions. I say almost-identical, because sometimes you're fighting in some caverns, or some hallways and - wow - sometimes in a small field. Any which way, whilst I get the idea, they really - really - did not have to be so repetitive. Why they don't more-frequently use like half of the game's environments baffles me (they might do, but frankly I threw in the towel at 35% completion), and so does the fact that they literally never change things up.

Then there's the story, which I think is the perfect example of overcomplicating what really did not need to be complicated. And by complicated, I mean it didn't need Genesis. God damn does that guy just completely suck out any potential interest in the room whenever he walks onto screen. Without him, the game could've been a tragedy about mentors and the inspiration they give to those that follow them, and ultimately inherit their dreams and values. A simple narrative that leads into one that ultimately becomes a lot more complex in the chronological sequel. You know, like a prequel should be. With him, that simple narrative is constantly interrupted by a bunch of shitty faux-Shakespeare lines wrapped up in nonsense ramblings that have no bearing on the game's themes, emotional beats, or anything really. The worst kind of 'Final Fantasy nonsense.' Argh.

So, yeah. Overall I can't say I had that much fun with this. Not nearly as much as I did with Final Fantasy VII or Remake. I can fully, fully understand why it's considered by many to be a PSP classic, but in the context of modern times, it just did not work for me in any significant way.

Last edited:
Meant to stay more on top of this out of the gate, but January kinda got away from me, so here's 5 games I've finished so far all at once

1. Lunistice (Switch): This isn't an original thought, but in the same way that Freedom Planet is one of the best 2D Sonics, Lunistice is one of the best 3D Sonics. I love a game that understands the assignment and this game executes on "short-but-sweet Saturn-as-heck 3D platformer" excellently. I really enjoyed my 2-ish hours with this but didn't quite feel like 100%-ing it; there's apparently a chunky free content update in the works so I'll probably use that as my excuse to come back and clean this one up

2. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PC): I'm fairly torn on what to think about this game. There's elements I think it does really well, like the movement and the world-building. And I think the decision to focus on an older, more-established Spider-Man is a breath of fresh air (something I've realized is I like my early-career Batman stories but prefer late-career Spider-Man stories). But I also think things are at their weakest when it feels almost self-conscious about just being a video game and tries to "AAA sludge" things up to bring it up to the Sony standard of "prestigious, looks expensive as all heck". Getting thrown into an MJ or Miles stealth segment never stopped feeling bad, and even when playing as Spider-Man it can sometimes feel haphazard whether something is a playable moment, a quicktime event cinematic, or full-blown "just put the controller down and watch Spidey do something". I also don't think the combat is as deep or engaging as they thought it was, which meant the increased reliance on just throwing waves of enemies at you (even when I just flawlessly stealthed a room, because the story dictated that a fight happens anyway) as the story progressed bogged things down. And lastly the pacing for the story just felt... I dunno, off? Overall I'd say I'm still net positive on it just because when they do focus on what works, it's a really good time. However, I think if they'd pared things down and just trusted in the game-y parts that they got right rather than trying to pad things into a more "cinematic, prestige" experience, it actually would have made for an even better package. Given that, I'm interested to eventually try Miles Morales, which from my understanding is basically that tighter, more streamlined follow-up.

3. Spongebob Squarepants - Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PC/Steam Deck): This is one I'm honestly shocked I missed back in the day; 3D platformers and especially collectathons are maybe my favorite genre and sort of the platonic ideal of video games to me. I was always a sucker for this kind of "let's square peg an IP into the round hole of being a Mario 64 clone". Ultimately, this game delivers on what it sets out to do; it's mechanically competent (not exactly a given for the genre outside of Nintendo/Rare games) and the SpongeBob setdressing and references are enough to push it from "OK" to "actually pretty good" for me

4. Halo Combat Evolved [Master Chief Collection] (PC/Steam Deck): Beyond a handful of multiplayer matches in Halo 3(?) back in the day, Halo as a whole has been a huge blind spot, but one I'm finally rectifying; a goal for the year is to work through the whole collection. Starting off though I gotta say... I didn't love it. I'm trying to keep in mind the Seinfeld is Unfunny factor where this would have been more impressive when it was fresh, and also the fact that the multiplayer was a big selling point that I'm not really engaging with, but I was just kinda whelmed by this one. However, I did start Halo 2 and that's clicking for me a lot more, so maybe this was just a case of them taking a bit to really find their footing.

5. Curse Crackers - For Whom the Belle Toils (Switch): This game rules. The phrase "hidden gem" is passe in the indie space, but this game genuinely is a hidden gem and probably one of my favorite 2D platformers to come out in the last generation or so. It's basically doing what Shovel Knight did but rather than being "NES games the way you remember them" it's instead doing "GBC games the way you remember them" and that flavor of retro lands a lot harder for me. The world and characters are surprisingly fleshed out, and the movement feels so good; once you get a handle on the controls it can get really kinetic in that almost-out-of-control-but-not-quite way that makes you feel really cool once you finally pull off a tricky section. It's also a game that just kept going, with the post-game opening up a surprising amount of additional sidequests and story segments. Deffo an easy recommendation if challenging 2D platforming is your jam

#5 - Super Kiwi 64: Doomsday [Update]

Those into Siactro's work will probably be aware that his 2022 game Super Kiwi 64 received an update today, so I thought now was a good time to replay the base game. A surprisingly enjoyable homage to Banjo Kazooie: you control the titular kiwi, who can glide and stick his beak into walls. Over 8 levels, you collect 40 power cells to repair an airplane and escape the island you're on. Before this update, the game had zero context for what was happening: some newly added - and fully voiced! - cutscenes fix this, thankfully. The levels are quite varied, with some being more exploration-focused, and some being more linear (akin to the Bowser stages in Super Mario 64); this keeps the game flowing nicely over the 1 - 2 hour journey.

The only complaint I had with the game was the camera: it's too loose (i.e., too sensitive) even at the lowest sensitivity, and often clips into walls. Although, there is some charm to seeing the world terrain from angles you're not supposed to - perhaps this is in keeping with the N64-aesthetic. Broadly, the game looks and sounds nice, with that trademark Siactro weirdness from time to time giving the game some extra charm (such as the weird fetus switches*). The addition of speedrun challenges in the update adds some replayability too, which is nice.

The newly added campaign, Super Kiwi 64: Doomsday, adds two new levels plus a boss fight. The Melon King from earlier games has returned as some type of cyborg, and decides to exact revenge on Kiwi and Macbat by... freeing the souls of the dead? Strange, but nothing surprising by Siactro's standards. The two levels here are solid, with the latter being particularly enjoyable to explore, thanks to the addition of cubes you can grapple towards. The update lasts only 30 minutes or so, but I did enjoy it nonetheless.

7.5/10

*(Don't question it, I can't explain it either)

1. Yooka-Laylee (05/01/2024, 7/10)
  2. Buckshot Roulette (06/01/2024, 8/10)
  3. Another Code: Recollection (19/01/2024, 8.25/10)
  4. Saga of the Moon Priestess (24/01/2024, 7/10)
  5. Super Kiwi 64: Doomsday [Update] (26/01/2025, 7.5/10)

hyb7Anz.gif

10 — Never Stop Sneakin’
I love Metal Gear Solid and I love to goof, so this MGS-meets-Naked Gun stealth-action roguelike(lite? Idk) hooked me early on. The story is completely silly, though it does showcase the sublime PS1-inspired look. More importantly: the stealth is a lot of fun! All you really do in this game is move around, or not move around. Brushing up against an enemy without them seeing you will stealth kill them. Walking into their flashlight cone takes a bite out of your health and puts them on alert. But if you have a bullet on you, it is instantly expended to save you. Rooting around in containers for items and perks is done by just standing still in front of them. These simple controls and layered binaries keep the sneakin’ snappy and consistent. The various modifiers on your runs don’t go quite as deep as you might expect from your procedurally-generated, run-based games, but the simplicity works here.

It also has a very good overwrought theme song a la Snake Eater:

Those into Siactro's work will probably be aware that his 2022 game Super Kiwi 64 received an update today
Whoa! Thank you for the heads up, I will definitely check this out.

4) Macbat 64
Fun cute game(other than the random creepy pasta) that knows the aesthetic it goes for and is well worth the very light price tag. Now to grab Kiwi 64 XD. Also the parody levels were cute, especially the Kirby one
Edit:
5)Metroid Prime Remastered
Ugh it’s killing me, I missed one scan and it had to be freakin Meta Ridley. Always replay this one every couple years and it’s as good as ever with an excellent new coat of polish

Previous games:
2) Toree 3D
3) Piczle Cross Adventure

Last edited:
3. Another Code: Recollection ( NS )

The Another Code or Trace Memory games tell the tales of Ashley as she discovers the truth of her parents across the two titles, alongside a different young boy in each entry that also needs to find the truth about something, with themes of the importance of memories, loss, facing the hard truths, acceptance wrapped around the turmoils and drama of a teenager. The original games are ones I absolutely love alongside the Kyle Hyde games and pretty formative games during my early teenage years, so I was pretty excited for this remake, and boy do I have a lot to say.

In terms of the story, the first game is "mostly" untouched, and the touches and flourishes in certain aspects also come with drawbacks, but at all times it feels unnecesary considering the clean execution of the original game with its simple story, you start a few moments ahead in the narrative instead of just starting at the boat, Jessica gets attacked moments after instead of right after the start, the more negatively impacted narrative beats are making Bill more obviously the antagonist from the get go and meeting Richard right at the end. The second game is heavily changed by making Ryan being dead from the get go which is even made too obvious in one of the Sayoko flashbacks, showing Matthew's dead sister at the tree, cutting some more incidental characters out of the story, and as a whole cutting like 7 or so hours of the Wii game. I can sum up what the major changes make to this story as making them way less surprising in terms of their mystery elements, which obviously to me it doesn't affect me as much as I played the originals, but I do think about how less interesting some twists are going to be for a new player.

The mystery element is pretty neutered but the themes of the story are mostly left untouched, I find the engame of R a bit more on the ridiculous side compared to the original but they still hit the key moments well enough, lack of subtlety in some moments aside.

Presentation is a mixed bag for me. The soundtracks were pretty distinct in the originals in instrumentation and their intent because of the contrasting tones of each title, the first one with a more sad, lonely melancholic atmosphere, while the second having a more of a summer vacation vibe with an adequate use of the more mysterious and melancholic tunes when that was necessary, and a smart use of arrangements of tunes from the original game also when needed, something that is lost in this remake, R no longer saves Emotions until the endgame and is now the standard puzzle theme across both games, losing the mystique and the arrangement sounds way less unique. The arrangements of the original soundtrack feel more bouncy and their lack of simplicity compared to the original and different instrumentation makes a track like the Edward Mansion lose that sad vibe to it. R's soundtrack survives the atmosphere part but there are tracks that feel like they were cut, plus it lacks the use of the original game at important moments.

The artstyle is something that would work better if Nintendo dared to give the same amount of love to every remake, the models look clean but the enviroments have a lot of low res quality to them that I can't even be charitable about it and call it watercolor, it looks pretty plain and honestly kind of worse than the originals, those games didn't seem to have much budget behind them on that front but they did a lot more to look timeless than Recollection does, with good use of the pre rendered backgrounds and character portraits on the DS, and the side scrolling movement mixed with more detailed 3D areas when exploration was necessary on the Wii.

So the story retains the themes for the most part at least, despite the change in order of certain narrative beats, the lack of mystery in certain areas, and the presentation is mostly fine if mostly inferior to the original games, if those were my only issues with it, I would still easily recommend experiencing these unique stories with the atmosphere that they bring, but that is only half of what I valued from those games and the Cing titles under Nintendo. Gameplay is the other half, and that has been pretty much butchered on most fronts.

Another Code and the Kyle Hyde games were not only great games for their interesting stories and characters, they were amazing adventure game experiences heavily elevated by the inventive puzzle design where they used every possible feature one could think of from the DS hardware and the Wii remote, and no effort has been made to translate a fraction of that magic to Recollection. There aren't any clever uses of the Joy-Cons or the hardware itself anymore, it boils down to a lot of simple puzzles based on observation, sometimes those really fun ones where you have to examine a thng a couple more times for the game to allow you to solve it even if you have the answer already. Each game has one gyroscope based puzzle, tho the control is really janky which is weird in a Nintendo game at this point, but it goes along well with how terribly janky the camera gets in this game, really helped my immersion.

In the original game Ashley would have a quiz at the end of each chapter, a very easy one mind you but one that went along well with the themes of the game, that is gone, a quirk of Ashley that I always liked was her moments of being absent minded, she will get lost in her thoughts before a character would call out her name, that is gone. I got pretty sad when the water pollution test was pretty much reduced to aiming the camera at a location in R. My cynical take on cutting like half the second game is that it wasn't about improving the pacing but rather not have to put any effort in making more puzzles to replace everything that had to be changed in the originals.

The first game had 2 endings, to get the good one a decent amount of extra effort had to be put in the exploration and puzzle solving to uncover the whole story behind the Edwards, I'm not sure if that is still a thing in the remake but I got the good ending right away and I don't think I did anything special to get there beyond just exploring normally.

Been pretty harsh with this, but it comes from a place of love for the originals on all their elements, I can't recommend these as the first way to experience Another Code, only after playing and absorbing everything that made those games great and this remake isn't what I would call essential to get even after that, right now I just feel like replaying the originals again, when I was hoping to have this as a definitive way to replay Another Code over and over.

As an aside I'm really worried about how a Kyle Hyde collection will turn out now and honestly I would just rather have a new IP instead of having to critique how those are going to fare against the masterpieces that are the originals.

Also the captain doesn't give me candy anymore, that is where I really started to get worried.

Finished the second game in Another Code Recollection. I need a sequel, make it happen, Nintendo. Give me more Ashley!

2. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Finished the game, 97%, 26 hours!

(Would’ve been 100% except I got the Pirate Captain quest bug. Maybe if they patch it eventually I’ll go finish it off).

Fantastic game - one of the best Metroidvanias I’ve played in a while. It loses a bit of steam close to the end and I have some quibbles here and there, but overall it was excellent and did an amazing job of taking the classic Prince of Persia style and gameplay and molding it into a metroidvania. It takes the crown (heh) for one or two of my favorite bosses so far this year, and even though it’s early they’ll be strong contenders.

It doesn’t hit the heights of games like Hollow Knight or some of the absolute classics, but it’s knocking on the door. I’d give it a 9/10.

1) Afterimage
2) Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Oops, I forgot to update my progress. Let's do some catching up.

Game #3 beaten for 2024 was Pikmin 3 Deluxe. I'm currently going on a Pikmin marathon, and played 1 and 2 last December. This was a really good game, but I just miss caves from 2 and the way materials work by dumping Pikmin back at the place they found the materials instead of staying at base annoys me so much that it legitimately knocks it down a bit for me. Thank god 4 fixes that.

Still, highly recommended and the Dandori opportunities are immense. Pikmin continues to be Peakmin.

Game #4 was just tonight: Otogi Katsugeki Mameda no Bakeru! For those not aware, this is the Goemon-like Good-Feel released in Japan last November. It's a stage-based, linear, 3D action-platformer that is an absolute joy and delight to play with really good level design and combat mechanics (like perfect dodges and parrying).

The only downsides: it runs like hot garbage and it's also incredibly easy. The game runs at an uncapped 60fps, but it basically never goes above 30fps. It hitches and stutters constantly, and I feel like Good-Feel just could not make Unity work with this game. Challenge-wise, despite having great combat mechanics, you don't need to learn that at all as basically every enemy can be killed in like a couple of button presses and bosses can also be brute-forced, despite some pretty neat patterns. Platforming also never gets super crazy, but as this is an action-platformer I think that's okay.

I hope with all my heart that Good-Feel localizes this for Switch 2 launch. That would be so amazing. This game is so good, more people need to play Mameda no Bakeru.

Previous update:
New game beaten for 2024: Tunic.

A wonderful blend of Zelda, Dark Souls 1, and Hollow Knight. Nearly everything about it is immaculate, minus the music which goes for the ambient music but I'm not as big of a fan. Go into this one blind, and trust your gut when playing it and try not to overthink TOO much.

Currently juggling Pikmin 4 for weekends, Another Code Recollection, and looking into finding time for Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown before Granblue Fantasy Relink comes out. Oh dear...

ソニックカラー: Amazing game right here, probably the most clean game in the hedgehogs entire history. No bad levels, no terrible story, barely any glitches, amazing level design, and one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. Only issue really is how childish the story can be. I like that this game has a more chill vibe, but I still feel like they went too far making the entire game a joke until the (admittedly awesome) ending. 8.5/10, great time

Also, see if you can understand which sonic game I’m talking about without looking at a translator. You get a cookie if you guess correct

Last edited:
Halo Combat Evolved [Master Chief Collection] (PC/Steam Deck): Beyond a handful of multiplayer matches in Halo 3(?) back in the day, Halo as a whole has been a huge blind spot, but one I'm finally rectifying; a goal for the year is to work through the whole collection. Starting off though I gotta say... I didn't love it. I'm trying to keep in mind the Seinfeld is Unfunny factor where this would have been more impressive when it was fresh, and also the fact that the multiplayer was a big selling point that I'm not really engaging with, but I was just kinda whelmed by this one. However, I did start Halo 2 and that's clicking for me a lot more, so maybe this was just a case of them taking a bit to really find their footing.
I Like the gameplay of 2 more then 1 as well, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for the story, it leaves on a pretty bad note is all I’ll say. At least you got the collection so you can just hop on 3

ソニックカラー: Amazing game right here, probably the most clean game in sonics entire history. No bad levels, no terrible story, barely any glitches, amazing level design, and one of the best soundtracks in the entire series. Only issue really is how childish the story can be. I like that this game has a more chill vibe, but I still feel like they went too far making the entire game a joke until the (admittedly awesome) ending. 8.5/10, great time

Also, see if you can understand which sonic game I’m talking about without looking at a translator. You get a cookie if you guess correct
That can only be Colors.

Alright so @Phosphorescent Skeleton got Yakuza The Man who erased His Name, the one with that brand new characterm JORYU, right? But in that game yo can pplay Sonic rhe Fighters! This game is SO good, I playe it and beat it tofay. If you press start on Amy she turns into HONEY THE CAT, my favorite Sonic character! When will IDW make a comoic about her? Amy got one and it was SUPER cute, but Honey should get one too! She's a cat AND she's in Fighting Vipers, but not as a cat! I had a lot of trouble fighting Tails. He was REALLY tough to beat for some reason, I had to try again and agaim and again when fighting him. I beat him though, and I beat Metal Sonic, who was CRAZY strong, and then I beat Eggman too! He was super easy though! Cause he just flies around in his jet chair, but Honey is strong cause she punches and kicks and jumps. One time I went to a used book store in Jinbocho, and for some reason they had a bunch of old Fighting Vipers Toys, and I bought the one of Honey cause she's my fav. I also got the entire 2000s GI Joe vs Transformers there (the Devil's Due one, not the Dreamwave one), which has been neat so far. Phos found that yo can play Fighting Vipers 2 in this, which also has Honey! This makes me really happy!

PXL_20240128_150840141.jpg

Cats are my favoriyte animal, so Honey the Cat is my favorite!

1) Signalis
2) Gnosia
3) Sylvie miniature
5) Sonic the Fighters

Alright so @Phosphorescent Skeleton got Yakuza The Man who erased His Name, the one with that brand new characterm JORYU, right? But in that game yo can pplay Sonic rhe Fighters! This game is SO good, I playe it and beat it tofay. If you press start on Amy she turns into HONEY THE CAT, my favorite Sonic character! When will IDW make a comoic about her? Amy got one and it was SUPER cute, but Honey should get one too! She's a cat AND she's in Fighting Vipers, but not as a cat! I had a lot of trouble fighting Tails. He was REALLY tough to beat for some reason, I had to try again and agaim and again when fighting him. I beat him though, and I beat Metal Sonic, who was CRAZY strong, and then I beat Eggman too! He was super easy though! Cause he just flies around in his jet chair, but Honey is strong cause she punches and kicks and jumps. One time I went to a used book store in Jinbocho, and for some reason they had a bunch of old Fighting Vipers Toys, and I bought the one of Honey cause she's my fav. I also got the entire 2000s GI Joe vs Transformers there (the Devil's Due one, not the Dreamwave one), which has been neat so far. Phos found that yo can play Fighting Vipers 2 in this, which also has Honey! This makes me really happy!

PXL_20240128_150840141.jpg

Cats are my favoriyte animal, so Honey the Cat is my favorite!

1) Signalis
2) Gnosia
3) Sylvie miniature
5) Sonic the Fighters
She's so drunk lol

Alright so @Phosphorescent Skeleton got Yakuza The Man who erased His Name, the one with that brand new characterm JORYU, right? But in that game yo can pplay Sonic rhe Fighters! This game is SO good, I playe it and beat it tofay. If you press start on Amy she turns into HONEY THE CAT, my favorite Sonic character! When will IDW make a comoic about her? Amy got one and it was SUPER cute, but Honey should get one too! She's a cat AND she's in Fighting Vipers, but not as a cat! I had a lot of trouble fighting Tails. He was REALLY tough to beat for some reason, I had to try again and agaim and again when fighting him. I beat him though, and I beat Metal Sonic, who was CRAZY strong, and then I beat Eggman too! He was super easy though! Cause he just flies around in his jet chair, but Honey is strong cause she punches and kicks and jumps. One time I went to a used book store in Jinbocho, and for some reason they had a bunch of old Fighting Vipers Toys, and I bought the one of Honey cause she's my fav. I also got the entire 2000s GI Joe vs Transformers there (the Devil's Due one, not the Dreamwave one), which has been neat so far. Phos found that yo can play Fighting Vipers 2 in this, which also has Honey!
Why can bum ass Sega only put Saturn and Dreamcast games in yakuza? I WANNA PLAY THEM ON SWITCH YOU MORONS, AND WHILE YOUR AT IT TAKE THAT PERFECTLY FUNCTIONING 60 FOS SONIC UNLEASHED PORT YOU GUYS HAVE AND PUT IT ON OTHER CONSOLES

I Like the gameplay of 2 more then 1 as well, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up for the story, it leaves on a pretty bad note is all I’ll say. At least you got the collection so you can just hop on 3
yeah, I actually finished 2 last night (will probably do a bigger write-up in this thread at some point) and my take on the story so far is very "bless their hearts for trying but I kinda just don't care". Like I can appreciate that they're really going for this grand and ambitious narrative, and I don't think what they have is outright bad, but I'm having trouble really "buying in" to the story in a meaningful way; the ending to Halo 2 feels a bit "this is our Empire Strikes Back moment where people are gonna be on the edge of their seat waiting for the third installment" and meanwhile I'm sorta at "I think Halo's a pretty cool guy, he fights aliens and doesn't afraid of anything" levels of investment

yeah, I actually finished 2 last night (will probably do a bigger write-up in this thread at some point) and my take on the story so far is very "bless their hearts for trying but I kinda just don't care". Like I can appreciate that they're really going for this grand and ambitious narrative, and I don't think what they have is outright bad, but I'm having trouble really "buying in" to the story in a meaningful way; the ending to Halo 2 feels a bit "this is our Empire Strikes Back moment where people are gonna be on the edge of their seat waiting for the third installment" and meanwhile I'm sorta at "I think Halo's a pretty cool guy, he fights aliens and doesn't afraid of anything" levels of investment
BlackthornOrion more like BlockedthornOrion #blocked

Fair. I'd probably be angry too if I'd grown up having to pretend capitalizing Random Words so they sounded Mysterious and Important was The Height of Storytelling and not A Little Bit Silly
I'm not going to take this kind of abuse from a Nintendo fan. Next you're going to tell me that Octopath Traveler is the peak of cinema. I won't believe you! I'm not owned!

Why can bum ass Sega only put Saturn and Dreamcast games in yakuza? I WANNA PLAY THEM ON SWITCH YOU MORONS, AND WHILE YOUR AT IT TAKE THAT PERFECTLY FUNCTIONING 60 FOS SONIC UNLEASHED PORT YOU GUYS HAVE AND PUT IT ON OTHER CONSOLES

I think it's RGG Studio doing whatever the heck they want with Sega of Japan saying as much as "Okay" 😅

Grime

I haven't finished it yet, but I've played enough to start giving some impressions. However, instead of writing about the game itself, there's something much more important that needs to be addressed first: THE SWITCH PORT IS HORRIBLE.
  • There is stuttering.
  • Lighting glitches every couple of steps.
  • Menus are incredibly slow.
  • Game freezes when loading areas and even shows the loading percentage with a big fat number in the middle of the screen. This looks like a debugging gizmo the devs forgot to remove for release.
  • When the game freezes during loading, it creates an invisible wall that doesn't allow you to go into the new area until it loads completely. The wildest thing is that these loading areas are always in the same places and they haven't given 2 thoughts about their placement: One is next to a savepoint on the way to a boss, so you'll go through it several times every until you beat the boss, suffering the freeze every time. Another one is in the middle of a platforming section in which you need to use an air dash to get through. The loading area will catch you mid-dash, stop you mid-air and once it finishes it will make you fall to the spikes below. This is the first time I've seen something like this in a released game.
  • And the big one: THERE IS A LOT OF INPUT LAG. Platforming is very hard because the character will take a lot of time to respond to your inputs. You have to anticipate enemy attacks and sometimes guess because the parry will take it's sweet time to come out. It feels like you're underwater. Slow weapons are unusable and fast ones are very frustrating. I ended up using an average weapon like it was a slow one. It's like if in Dark Souls you have a straight sword with it's normal stats but with the slow moveset of a two-handed greatsword, so you have to play really carefully. So I attack much less than I normally would, I have to parry or evade everything on advance, I have to play very defensively and leave a lot of space with the enemies (specially bosses) so I can have enough time to react to special attacks that require jumping...
I could live with most of these, but the input lag is really impacting how the game plays.

I wish I hadn't bought it on release, now I have to cross my fingers and wait for a patch, but I've read that a lot of these problems have been there for years in PS4 and they have never been addressed.

Main post

Since time immemorial historians have asked the question: Is Kingdom Hearts a good game or a bad game? Today, roughly two decades after playing it for the first time I can confidently say that I have arrived at the definite answer. Is it a bad game? No. Is it good? Well, also no.

While playing I was for some reason reminded of N64 platformers that were just trying to figure out how to explore 3D space (turns out that Mario 64 was an inspiration). It's difficult to describe but there's not much in terms of "design" in these levels. They're just spaces that you can navigate but nothing to really draw your eye or lead you. The worlds are also fairly limited in scope so you do tons of walking back and forth to stretch out playtime, including a really annoying second visit to Hollow Bastion.

I'd probably look at it much more kindly if it weren't for the controls that felt like I constantly had to fight them in the most crucial moments. Couple that with the game throwing far too many enemies in cramped spaces at you and it quickly devolves into a button mash fest where the camera just goes haywire. Oogie Boogie's mansion and Hollow Bastion are the worst offenders in this. You just hope that you land a few hits and parry some while not falling off a ledge. The best part are the bosses, except for the ones where you're flying around and can't even use two of your most useful moves (dodge and guard). This is why Atlantica is the worst world.

Conceptually the story is fine. I'm not a huge fan of crossover stories, especially when they involve wildly different settings and characters. But obviously "visit these classic Disney worlds" has a lot of appeal for certain people. I said it in a different thread already but it's funny to play this game and see the humble beginnings of the wild epos that is Kingdom Hearts. Obviously you have some nomuraisms and multiple worlds but otherwise the story and the underlying mythology are fairly straightforward (if you ignore the Ansem Reports which would tease what's to come). I think aside from some stilted voice acting it mostly works as a story for children and young teens. There's personal stakes and a world(s) ending threat and despite some clunkiness here and there, they mostly stick the landing.

Ah, and obviously, cant forget this: Everything Shimomoura touched is an absolute banger. One of the best to ever do it.

Overall, it is fine. I can still appreciate what they did, later entries were just so much more fun to play that it inevitably makes the first one feel pretty outdated in comparison. In my (attempted) series replay Iwas contemplating playing Re: Chain of Memories next since I only played the original on GBA. But I think I might actually skip ahead to KHII instead.

1. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  2. Alan Wake II
  3. Rytmos
  4. Pizza Tower
  5. Hi-Fi Rush
  6. Humanity
  7. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
  8. Jusant
  9. Momodora: Moonlit Farewell
  10. Panzer Dragoon (Remake)
  11. Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon
  12. Kingdom Hearts: Final Mix

Last edited:
5) Star Fox 64. I really enjoyed it. It was short but honestly, short games can be a welcome surprise in the age of long games these days. I enjoyed the og so this was really good. Maybe I’ll play Star fox 2 one day.

1. Ring Fit Adventure (new game plus plus)

Honestly I’m at the point where I need a new one. I love this game for what it did to get me started on a serious exercise routine, but the limitations of the level reuse are so apparent, even accounting for the fact that this is my third playthrough.
2. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (5/5)

Between Breath of the Wild and this I have now spent over 300 hours on this iteration of Zelda. I think the new open-world formula hits the right appeal of the franchise. We are now seeing l voices clamoring for a return to the precious formula, but I think the ship has already sailed on that. When I first played Ocarina in 98 I didn’t care about the linearity, because it perfectly sold the illusion of adventure. It’s why I am so fond of Wind Waker in spite of its obvious content shortcomings.

What these two games do is give you all the freedom in the world to actually engage at your own pace, and as such Hyrule feels like a living place. I have my issues with the map reuse here, but I still found myself enthralled by what was around the corner.

Ultrahand is a game changer. I know Aonuma has already spoken of doing away with it for the next game, but I think that’s a mistake. It allows for so much flexibility and creativity that it would be a mistake to do away with it like they did with the wolf or the motion controls.

The main issue here is the map reuse. I understand there’s limitations in modern game development, but it’s so obvious that the surface was made with BotW in mind. There’s a lot of empty space in there that they paper over with caves and wells that simply feel out of place. Hyrule in BotW may have had a lot of negative space, but this was done purposefully. That game had myriads of world building in every crevice, and every pond and meadow served a purpose, particularly in relation with how shrines and Sheikah Towers were laid out.

Ironically enough, I think the sky feels the most full in that aspect. Yes, the locations are spread around, but all have something of interest. In contrast, the Depths are almost barren. Narratively it makes sense, but making it the same size as the surface was overkill. As much as I enjoyed shrine and root hunting, the repetitive biomes didn’t do it any favors. If I were Aonuma/Fujibayashi, I would have somehow merged both the sky and depths together. It’s not like this series is foreign to the concept of a dark world, it’s just that this particular version is too much.

Too much is also my main complaint about the crafting. TotK added way more things to do, way more things to craft, way more things to upgrade. And while I see how that aids extend playtime, I don’t think encouraging that sort of behavior behooves this type of game. It’s one thing to find enough diamonds and star fragments across 200 hours to then upgrade your shirt. It’s another thing to ask a player to farm dozens of Lynels and Molduga if they care about using the cool looking armors and not be at a disadvantage. Zelda combat is serviceable, but it doesn’t have the level of depth of something like MonHun, where this kind of grinding would make sense since that is the whole point of the game. Combat in Zelda is more a means to an end.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed this game a lot. I thought I would burn out of it quickly since I had just completed BotW barely a few months back, but open word Zelda is still compelling. I just don’t know whether revisiting this version of Hyrule for a third time will work again.

One last thing: if they’re gonna make open world Zelda the mainstay focus, they need to be more careful with their story telling. The critical path is so dumb for the people who get distracted with every shiny thing. It’s not a question of seeing things coming, it’s about Link looking stupid when characters react to stuff he should already know. This is one aspect of the game that BotW did much better, on top of Zelda being a much fuller deuteragonist in terms of her character arc.

Can’t wait to play the next one in 2030!

6. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Steam Deck)

Been wanting to try this for a while to see if I like the game enough to be excited for the sequel. The answer is... it didn't really gel with me, despite the good combat and cool pawn system.

Don't think the game is bad or anything, it kept my interest enough to complete the main storyline. The open world is kinda dull though and nothing beyond the combat and pawn system really stands out, though I do at least appreciate the game clearly making nighttime dangerous.

I guess it's a solid 7/10, interesting and unique ideas (and I can forgive a lot if a game is interesting) but its ambition outstrips its reach for me. I can see why people like it though.

Will I get the sequel? Probably on sale. There's a ton about the first game that could be improved and may well be in the sequel, in which case it could achieve greatness, but I'd prefer to wait and see.

I've finished a handful of connected games so wanted to wait and post about them semi-together. So that's what this is!

4. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PlayStation 5)

FFVIIRINTERGRADE_Available_Now-1vq9ttoa5.jpg

I told myself after I finished the original FF VII late last year that I'd try and play the remake early in 2024 before Rebirth came out so that's what I decided to hop into after Wario Land, and MAN what a blast I had. I ended up spending around 38 hours exploring the world, doing as many side quests as I could, enjoying the combat, letting the music and the story wash over me, and was sad when it ended because it was over! This really surprised me because I have zero nostalgia for the original VII (my 2023 playthrough was the first time I'd played it) - I expected to enjoy it but I loved almost every minute I spent with it. There are some minor, minor nitpicks I have - the portions of having to move the machine hands around to lift Aerith to platforms and have her drop ladders for you was pretty annoying, and same complaint about moving the shipping containers around in a later chapter...and I felt like the next-to-last chapter took a while longer than I'd have liked. But other than that I can't think of anything else I didn't have a great time with! I loved it so much that I jumped right into the DLC.

5. Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode Intermission (PlayStation 5)

FF7RIntergrade_AprilScreenshot_01-407dl0zxh.jpg

So yeah, jumped right into the DLC after finishing up Remake and continued to just have a great time with this as well in the six hours it took me! Not quite on par with the main game for me, just felt like extra 'stuff' that helped intro Yuffie a bit and give some more context to how she'll come into contact with the party in Rebirth, but still was a fun time playing as her - I thought not having a full three person party would be a pain but they did a good job giving her easy access to elemental abilities to exploit weaknesses which helped things. She's also hilarious, I think they did a great job making her come across as a goofball! The other shoutout I want to make is to the Fort Condor minigame - I usually love side quest type content but will avoid minigame type things in games - like I played zero card games in FF VIII recently - but I got really sucked into the Fort Condor strategy stuff and played through every single one of them. What a great diversion! The characters involved in the ending fight Weiss and Nero I had absolutely zero knowledge of beforehand - I had figured I wouldn't play Dirge of Cerberus but it feels like now maybe I ought to? And I've got to watch Advent Children as well but not sure if those two are involved there in any way. Also the post credits scene with Zack was interesting because although I'd not played Crisis Core I knew (or thought I knew) that he died prior to the events of the original FF VII...so of course I had to jump into Crisis Core Reunion next!

6. Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Reunion (PlayStation 5)

2x1_NSwitch_CrisisCoreFinalFantasy7Reunion_image1600w.jpg

This one was really a roller coaster for me as far as how I felt about it - at first I really was enjoying the gameplay, combat was fun experimenting with different materia and combining them when you unlock the ability to merge and seeing what powerful ones I could come up with; the story was interesting; the side missions were super breezy and fun...but then I realized just how MANY side missions there were. I think I ended up at around 35% of those completed? Although they were mostly quick, some of them had huge difficulty spikes - and I also reached a point where I had materia that would just one hit most enemies I'd fight, so they became kind of trivial - and so I just dropped them. It's kind of a shame to me, too, because some of them were fun because of how they'd incorporate characters - Yuffie following you around and stealing the treasure you get after finishing each mission in particular was memorable. So I'm sure there are some others I missed but, yeah, just not gonna go through all of those right now to find out which ones I would've liked when I was already feeling overpowered for main story battles. I also didn't like how the main story missions were set up so that you'd basically walk for eight seconds, encounter enemies, beat them, then you'd get a phone call that would take control away from you - you can really feel the PSP bones underneath the game's structure. Which helps explain the side missions too as they're really portable / digestible feeling - just hits different when you're sitting down playing it on a home console, I think. It was really neat seeing Zack and Aerith's relationship from the beginning and legitimately the way it ended with her writing all those letters to him and then when the rain comes into the church when she realizes he's gone - plus the final fight when he's fending off wave after wave and the DMW popping up with all his memories, then showing solely Aerith icons - that REALLY got to me even more than basically anything in the original FF VII! I'm so intrigued that he's alive in the Remake series and can't wait to see what plays out there. Cissnei and the Turks in general being more involved with you directly was another highlight for me. Genesis...I don't even know what to say about him...I think I heard the Loveless monologue about 20 different times during my playthrough. Also, guess I do really need to give Dirge of Cerberus a shot, huh? I ended up spending just under 15 hours playing through this one and had a decent time. Now I'm really not sure what to play next - FF IX is next in the mainline games but I may take a break from Final Fantasy until Rebirth comes out at the end of February!

1. Final Fantasy VIII (Switch) - 01/06/24
2. Mega Man 7 (Switch) - 01/08/24
3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy) - 01/10/24
4. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade (PlayStation 5) - 01/21/24
5. Final Fantasy VII Remake Episode Intermission (PlayStation 5) - 01/21/24
6. Crisis Core -Final Fantasy VII- Reunion (PlayStation 5) - 01/28/24

I just completed my second game for the year and thought I should go ahead and make a post here to track things. Also adding 2023 list so I can compare to see how I am doing relative to that.

• Revita
  • HiFi Rush
  • Rogue Legacy 2
  • Metroid Prime Remastered
  • Wildfrost
  • Shovel Knight Puzzle Quest
  • Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Brotato
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario Wonder
  • Diablo IV
  • Risk of Rain Returns
  • Voidigo

• Dragon Quest Monster: The Dark Prince (Jan. 13)
  • Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown (Jan. 28)
  • Disgaea 7 (Jan. 29)
  • Balatro (Feb. 21)
  • Splatoon 3 Side Order (Feb. 28)

Last edited:
1) Chained Echoes (NSW)

2) No Man's Sky (NSW)

I never really had much interest in this game when it came out. If I remember correctly, it got a pretty mixed reception upon release but Hello Games has apparently been updating it for several years now. I can tell you that it feels like a complete package now. There is so much to do here that the primary feelings I had while playing were wonder and being overwhelmed. It always feels like there are a dozen things to do at any given time, I completely ignored several complete gameplay systems. I didn't touch bases much, never formed a squadron, and never looked into getting myself a freighter (I think you can do that). I also never built any of the vehicles used to travel the planets surface, and only in the last hour or so did I adopt a wild animal and ride it around.

So what kept me playing it for as long as I did? Well, the simple joy of exploring alien worlds, mostly. At lease at first, the thrill of exploring and collecting resources was quite addictive. Eventually, this wore thin for me as you can start to see the limits of procedural generation. At this point I suppose I could have worked on raising my rep with a guild or an alien race by doing quests, or maybe built an amazing base on my favorite planet. The scale is ridiculous. You can easily get lost in it if you want, but I only had patience for it for 35 hours or so before I was ready to focus on the main quest line and move on to a new game. Quite frankly, I like games that have an ending most of all.

All of that being said, I really enjoyed my time with it until I didn't anymore. That is the fate of such games for me, but I would heartily recommend this game to anyone who has ever daydreamed about exploring alien worlds, even if you don't intend to live there.

Main Post

capsule_616x353.jpg

GAME 6: Turnip Boy Commits Tax Exasion
PC (Steam Deck) | Finished 29/1/24 | 100% | 2 Hours 40 Minutes Played | 7/10

This was a charming little game, albeit one that wasn't really long enough, or funny enough to leave the biggest of impressions. It's a very truncated 'Zelda-Like', with gameplay focused around a few (very small) dungeons, bosses, fetch quests with random NPCs, and so on. Which I think works in its favour; the design means it can introduce, elaborate on, and throw away new idea and elements with a really good pace. Similarly, the light difficulty throughout makes the adventure suitably breezy; though the free roguelike update is there if you want to get deep into Turnip Boy gameplay. Its story is fairly typical for the micro-genre that is 'cutesy games hiding darkly comedic secrets', and it definitely moves a bit much into referential/lmao random humour sometimes, but there's definitely a cute sincerity here that I can really appreciate. The final boss was a particularly fun highlight. Altogether, a nice little breather in between bouts of Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy, Like a Dragon, and other similar ridiculous-length titles.

Meant to stay more on top of this out of the gate, but January kinda got away from me, so here's 5 games I've finished so far all at once

1. Lunistice (Switch): This isn't an original thought, but in the same way that Freedom Planet is one of the best 2D Sonics, Lunistice is one of the best 3D Sonics. I love a game that understands the assignment and this game executes on "short-but-sweet Saturn-as-heck 3D platformer" excellently. I really enjoyed my 2-ish hours with this but didn't quite feel like 100%-ing it; there's apparently a chunky free content update in the works so I'll probably use that as my excuse to come back and clean this one up

2. Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered (PC): I'm fairly torn on what to think about this game. There's elements I think it does really well, like the movement and the world-building. And I think the decision to focus on an older, more-established Spider-Man is a breath of fresh air (something I've realized is I like my early-career Batman stories but prefer late-career Spider-Man stories). But I also think things are at their weakest when it feels almost self-conscious about just being a video game and tries to "AAA sludge" things up to bring it up to the Sony standard of "prestigious, looks expensive as all heck". Getting thrown into an MJ or Miles stealth segment never stopped feeling bad, and even when playing as Spider-Man it can sometimes feel haphazard whether something is a playable moment, a quicktime event cinematic, or full-blown "just put the controller down and watch Spidey do something". I also don't think the combat is as deep or engaging as they thought it was, which meant the increased reliance on just throwing waves of enemies at you (even when I just flawlessly stealthed a room, because the story dictated that a fight happens anyway) as the story progressed bogged things down. And lastly the pacing for the story just felt... I dunno, off? Overall I'd say I'm still net positive on it just because when they do focus on what works, it's a really good time. However, I think if they'd pared things down and just trusted in the game-y parts that they got right rather than trying to pad things into a more "cinematic, prestige" experience, it actually would have made for an even better package. Given that, I'm interested to eventually try Miles Morales, which from my understanding is basically that tighter, more streamlined follow-up.

3. Spongebob Squarepants - Battle for Bikini Bottom - Rehydrated (PC/Steam Deck): This is one I'm honestly shocked I missed back in the day; 3D platformers and especially collectathons are maybe my favorite genre and sort of the platonic ideal of video games to me. I was always a sucker for this kind of "let's square peg an IP into the round hole of being a Mario 64 clone". Ultimately, this game delivers on what it sets out to do; it's mechanically competent (not exactly a given for the genre outside of Nintendo/Rare games) and the SpongeBob setdressing and references are enough to push it from "OK" to "actually pretty good" for me

4. Halo Combat Evolved [Master Chief Collection] (PC/Steam Deck): Beyond a handful of multiplayer matches in Halo 3(?) back in the day, Halo as a whole has been a huge blind spot, but one I'm finally rectifying; a goal for the year is to work through the whole collection. Starting off though I gotta say... I didn't love it. I'm trying to keep in mind the Seinfeld is Unfunny factor where this would have been more impressive when it was fresh, and also the fact that the multiplayer was a big selling point that I'm not really engaging with, but I was just kinda whelmed by this one. However, I did start Halo 2 and that's clicking for me a lot more, so maybe this was just a case of them taking a bit to really find their footing.

5. Curse Crackers - For Whom the Belle Toils (Switch): This game rules. The phrase "hidden gem" is passe in the indie space, but this game genuinely is a hidden gem and probably one of my favorite 2D platformers to come out in the last generation or so. It's basically doing what Shovel Knight did but rather than being "NES games the way you remember them" it's instead doing "GBC games the way you remember them" and that flavor of retro lands a lot harder for me. The world and characters are surprisingly fleshed out, and the movement feels so good; once you get a handle on the controls it can get really kinetic in that almost-out-of-control-but-not-quite way that makes you feel really cool once you finally pull off a tricky section. It's also a game that just kept going, with the post-game opening up a surprising amount of additional sidequests and story segments. Deffo an easy recommendation if challenging 2D platforming is your jam
6. Halo 2 [Master Chief Collection] (Steam Deck): To start off, I'll say this is definitely an improvement on Halo 1 in just about every way. Mechanically, it's a very textbook case of a sequel that doubles down on what was already working and then also improves on most of what wasn't working.

I think at this point my major complaints are largely story-related. I wouldn't even say the story is bad necessarily, but it's more that with Halo 2 I can tell they're taking big swings and trying to "do something" and I'm just having trouble meaningfully buying into it; like, the ending absolutely screams "this is our Empire Strikes Back moment, they're all gonna be on the edge of their seats eagerly anticipating the next game to see what happens" and I'm basically stuck at "I like Halo, he fights aliens and doesn't afraid of anything" levels of investment. It works as a pretense that facilitates the gameplay, but it's not doing much more than that for me and so there's this tension whenever I can feel the developers trying to present their narrative as anything grander than "well there needs to be some reason you're shooting all these aliens". It feels like a bit of a pivot, after the first game was loaded with enemies all having generically functional/descriptive video game-ass names like Grunts and Elites and Hunters and all the kitschy sci-fi "if you just capitalize random words, that means they're mysterious or important" names being thrown around, and so the pre-existing "we get it, a lot about this is kinda a little silly, and we can have fun with that" details clash with Halo 2's insistence on a greater degree of "being taken seriously" than I think it's really earned

Some other thoughts:
  • Playing as the Arbiter for half the levels. An interesting wrinkle that gives them an opportunity to flesh out the previously paper-thin Covenant. I won't lie and pretend it wasn't a bit of a relief whenever a level started me out as Master Chief though, because the alien political intrigue just wasn't really doing it for me
  • I thought they kinda wasted the "Covenant brings the fight to you" angle that opens the game. It's a cool "Doom 2: Hell on Earth"-style twist that gives the first few levels a unique tone and visual identity versus Halo 1, but all too quickly you're back on another Halo once again running around pretty familiar-looking military bases and Forerunner ruins, and that was kind of a let-down
  • it's really started to click for me on this one that 90% of the time, the right move in Halo is to just rush from one checkpoint to the next and only minimally engage with enemies, and I'm genuinely not really sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, it's something that sets the series apart from its more Doom-y "it's in your best interest to just kill anything and everything that moves" predecessors, but it also feels kinda wrong that most of the time it's not just unoptimal but genuinely a huge mistake to spend any time actually stopping to shoot things in a shooter

Back
Top Bottom