• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Another Code: Recollection |ST| Remember Ashley Mizuki Robbins

Was this like a small batch print? No store here, including online retailers, has this game in stock
Seems like it. I know amazon has no stock at the moment.
I didn't even know this was released on Wii originally, I knew about the DS one. Do you think Another Code can sell a million copies?
Highly unlikely. The genre is pretty niche even if Nintendo is publishing. Famicom Detective Club's last physical number 20k+ in Japan, best case scenario it did 80-100k WW. AC will probably sell a bit more (at least in Japan), we shall see.

Watching the opening cutscene on the boat right now, controls in the little prolouge were a bit funky, but nothing I can't get used to. But good lord, Ashley's voice, and specifically all the: 'Ah... Uhm... Oh... hufhuf' it's really grating already, and I'm barely ten minutes in...

I'd be surprised if Nintendo expects it to do even 500K, to be honest. I hope it surpasses their expectations, though.
definately a small scale release for them. No pre-order bonus so marketing is bare minimum.

I think it may have done better $10-20 cheaper, but they probably decided to just go full price since us fans will pay for it anyways.

Watching the opening cutscene on the boat right now, controls in the little prolouge were a bit funky, but nothing I can't get used to. But good lord, Ashley's voice, and specifically all the: 'Ah... Uhm... Oh... hufhuf' it's really grating already, and I'm barely ten minutes in...
yeah all your complaints are valid. if you scorll upthread, my posts talk about the clunky controls and the game feeling like a PS2 era release and the mediocre voice acting. You can change the VA to Japanese if the English voices grates.

Beat Two Memories earlier today! This remake is seriously so good. It felt different from the DS original, but it still has that slightly melancholy atmosphere. Started Journey Into Lost Memories, which I remember more strongly than the DS one. It's an unusual feeling to revisit it. It's like I remember the broad strokes of it, but so much is new. And it brings back a lot of memories of my own life at the time, which feels weird in general. I really connected with Ashley back when I first played it, so it's kinda like reconnecting with my younger self. I'm excited to keep playing!

Change the rotation camera speed in the menu. Game gains a full point out of ten, just for that
That should be the standard for 3d games. Games from the N64 and PS1 era didn‘t age bad because of the graphics (at least for me) but because of their clunky camera controls. Smooth and fast camera rotation have a bigger impact on the feel of a game than most people think.

About an hour in and I’ve already had a small cry. I loved it when I was Ashley’s age, the magic of seeing a Nintendo game, a proper Nintendo game, with a protagonist Like Me felt so special. I never finished it, and I never played the sequel. Just sorta soaked up the vibes when I was young. Feels like magic to hold it in my hands again.

Also Ashley is definitely gay. I won’t hear otherwise.

About an hour in and I’ve already had a small cry. I loved it when I was Ashley’s age, the magic of seeing a Nintendo game, a proper Nintendo game, with a protagonist Like Me felt so special. I never finished it, and I never played the sequel. Just sorta soaked up the vibes when I was young. Feels like magic to hold it in my hands again.

Also Ashley is definitely gay. I won’t hear otherwise.

She's got the vibes! No straight girl would wear this

images

Now finished with both games, really enjoyed this remake. I'm also glad to have finally experienced Another Code R after all these years. I'm glad Cing's legacy will live on and I hope more people get to discover these wonderful titles.

Now hopefully Nintendo green lights the Kyle Hyde duology remakes. There's enough teases in this game that it would be a shame if it didn't happen.

An hour or so into the second game now.

I can't believe how much of my personal taste bells is ringing with both games.

It's literally ticking off the list of things I love in games with a frenzy.

So happy.

Remember Ashley Mizuki Robbins?

No.

But I remember Ashley Mizuki Robins.

I finished Two Memories yesterday.
It is unfortunately missing a little bit of the charm that the game had on DS due to just how cool the puzzles made use of the unique hardware there. The puzzles in the Switch game are fine though and the game was still a lot of fun to revisit.
I was surprised at how much of the core plot I remembered which meant some of the bigger twists didn't quite have the same impact but it's still a sweet story about a girl trying to find the father she thought was dead so it still carries its emotional moments well

A Journey into Lost Memories is next (though they seem to have dropped the "A" in this versions title) and I'm looking forward to it. I remember some stuff like it being set at a campsite and Ashley enjoying music but I never finished the game on Wii so there's hopefully a few twists I didn't experience in the story of that one

Finally got my copy! Nice touch of them having backgrounds inside the box.

Ill put it under spoilers in case

CLZ2N2g_d.webp

She's got the vibes! No straight girl would wear this

images
I was explaining this conversation to my girlfriend for some reason earlier and when trying to describe this fit I realised it was proper jeans away from being exactly what she was wearing.

Took a bit of waiting (I am so glad I preordered this, damn) but my copy arrived aaaaaaaand...

My mom immediately intercepted it and started playing it on her Switch. I haven't been able to speak to her since (I exaggerate, but seriously, she's obsessed). I can only assume she will emerge a changed person from this experience.

I finished Journey into Lost Memories today, and it's hard to believe it's over. I really wish I had more of it to play. It's the hallmark of a great story when you feel a little hollowed out when it's all finished. I wish there was more. The second game doesn't quite feel as melancholic as the first, mainly because there's more people around and a less dour setting. Instead it feels cozy and comfortable. Well, most of it does! There's some parts where you're thrust somewhere unfamiliar that feel a bit more tense and dangerous than the rest of the game. Still, you mostly spend the game in scenic locations surrounded by interesting characters.

There's some interesting differences in the story compared to the Wii original. I talked with a friend about the exact differences after finishing it, and I definitely think they were for the better. It made for an unusual experience going through it again, where I could tell it didn't quite match up with my memories of the original, but not being able to remember exactly why.

I remember the Wii game more clearly than the DS one, but even those memories have gotten muddled. I wonder why? I was an angsty teenager when I played it originally, I had my Wii set up on an old tube TV my parents didn't use anymore. It was in a little storage room, kinda cold. Ashley and I weren't 1-to-1, but I felt so much like her back then. Maybe it was her attitude? Or the sense of alienation she feels before she's gotten to know everyone living by the lake? Seeing her character again, years and years later, I don't know if I have quite the same connection as I used to. I've grown up and gone on my own adventures, embraced myself, found love. It would be so interesting if there were a sequel with Ashley in the modern day. I'd love to see how her life turned out, if her band made it big. Maybe then I'd be able to connect with her as much now as I did back then. For now I have these cozy remakes, my memories, and a connection that hasn't quite burned out. What a lovely experience this has been!

Started chapter 3 of the first game, but out of curiosity for the second game, does it still have those fast moving transitions where everything pops up almost picture book-esc? Because as little sense as it made, I adored the effect!

I finished the game Sunday. I loved the two games don't have much to say.

what I will say this thread better get bumped when we get some Another Code profile icons on NSO. I wanna rep best girl Ashley

Have they talked in any interviews about how this remake actually came about? Still feels wild to me that this exists.
I really wish that this got an Ask The Developer. I'm also really interested in how this came about, and what prompted decisions like completely rewriting the last few chapters of the second game.

Just finished Two Memories. Maybe it was a mistake to have finished The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles immediately before playing this…lol. Not that I haven’t enjoyed it so far; it’s a chill experience and I love the presentation…but it feels lacking when it comes to the story, characters, and puzzles, considering the genre. It kinda feels comparable to Detective Pikachu to me (honestly, I think I enjoyed the Detective Pikachu games more than what I’ve played of Another Code so far)—which is fine, but not exactly what I was expecting from this. The emotional scenes didn’t really hit very hard for me, either…which is odd, considering it’s usually not hard for me to get emotional over games. I think it’s in part due to the delivery and…issues with how the characters react to what’s happening around them. Hopefully Journey into Lost Memories is better in these areas. Famicom Detective Club still remains the best adventure game experience (from Nintendo or otherwise) that I’ve played so far.

Also…I really want to know what’s up with the name “ANOTHER” and “Dual ANOTHER System”—is that ever explained?? It sounds so awkward that I assume there has to be a meaning behind it, but it’s not explained at all in Two Memories.

Last edited:
Okay, so I’ve reached a part where the game wants me to buy stuff from the guesthouse at Lake Juliet…but there are a lot of options. Can someone tell me if it matters what you buy? I’m not sure how to proceed here…

Okay, so I’ve reached a part where the game wants me to buy stuff from the guesthouse at Lake Juliet…but there are a lot of options. Can someone tell me if it matters what you buy? I’m not sure how to proceed here…
It doesn't matter. The amount of things you bought changes part of a conversation Ashley has at the end of the game, but that's about it.

Quoted by: Tye
It doesn't matter. The amount of things you bought changes part of a conversation Ashley has at the end of the game, but that's about it.
Okay, so it’s only the amount of things that matters, not which specific things? Is there, like, an ideal amount for the best outcome in that conversation?

Okay, so it’s only the amount of things that matters, not which specific things? Is there, like, an ideal amount for the best outcome in that conversation?
I haven't replayed the game yet, but I don't think there's a "best" outcome in that conversation. I bought a lot of stuff to feed into Ashley's "SCREW YOU, DAD" energy at that point in the story, so the person I talked to just lightly admonished me for buying so much while Ashley felt slightly guilty. I imagine if I didn't buy anything, they would have wondered why I didn't splurge a bit more.

Last edited:

Imagine you are Ashley. You're not having a good day, given the circumstances. Then you get a card, and you're told everything you buy will be charged to the person who you blame the most for what's happened. What do you do?

I know what I did... I acted like a brat and bought EVERYTHING! That was the best outcome for me...

Imagine you are Ashley. You're not having a good day, given the circumstances. Then you get a card, and you're told everything you buy will be charged to the person who you blame the most for what's happened. What do you do?

I know what I did... I acted like a brat and bought EVERYTHING! That was the best outcome for me...
Honestly if I was in Ashley’s shoes I wouldn’t want to buy any of that junk regardless of who’s paying for it, especially without a bag to carry any of it in, lol.

Honestly if I was in Ashley’s shoes I wouldn’t want to buy any of that junk regardless of who’s paying for it, especially without a bag to carry any of it in, lol.
That was my thought too haha

I finally started the game (I didn't play the demo). There's a level of clunkiness that you wouldn't expect from a Nintendo game: no button to re-center the camera, no gyro for taking pictures, and the early motion-controlled puzzle is almost broken. But I'm loving everything else. More than a remake, it feels like an adaptation of the DS version -- the familiar elements are all there, but arranged differently. Like the movie version of a novel.

I finally started the game (I didn't play the demo). There's a level of clunkiness that you wouldn't expect from a Nintendo game: no button to re-center the camera, no gyro for taking pictures, and the early motion-controlled puzzle is almost broken. But I'm loving everything else. More than a remake, it feels like an adaptation of the DS version -- the familiar elements are all there, but arranged differently. Like the movie version of a novel.

I think there is a re-center button. I don't use it but I think it's there.

They probably give you a little gift bag or something for it all! It would be fine!

It's not important that it's junk, it's the spending that matters! Besides, doesn't hearing "JULIET LAKE! LALALALA" just make you wanna spend?

Just finished it. I liked it overall, but I think it's a step down from the original versions. The DS release of Another Code had such good puzzles that utilised the DS hardware, and I really didn't like the changes they made to R's story.

I think I'll play through the Kyle Hyde games soon, and then go back through the original Another Code games in the lead up to the Hotel Dusk/Last Window remakes which I'm sure will be announced any day now.

Finished the first game it’s a 6 - maybe 7 - out of 10 that’s like a 9 in my heart. I really like how quaint and endearing the experience is overall. I do wish Ashley stepped out of her quiet, pensive persona over the course of the story. It’s totally fine to have a character like that but it kinda makes for a subdued experience. Sometimes I feel Ace Attorney goes too over the top but now I kinda see why.

Still really liked it and will play the second game in a week or so, though thinking of AA had me finally pick up Ghost Trick.

Does anyone know exactly how the empty can collecting and gum ball machine stuff works in Journey into Lost Memories? Like, are there a set amount of cans at set locations in the game, and is what you get from the gum ball machine predetermined or is it an actual random drop gacha thing? I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to do with the gum balls or if there’s a certain special one I need to get to unlock something or what. Whatever the case, I wanna know what it is and when I have to make sure to do it by before the point of no return, whenever and wherever that is.

Does anyone know exactly how the empty can collecting and gum ball machine stuff works in Journey into Lost Memories? Like, are there a set amount of cans at set locations in the game, and is what you get from the gum ball machine predetermined or is it an actual random drop gacha thing? I’m not even sure what I’m supposed to do with the gum balls or if there’s a certain special one I need to get to unlock something or what. Whatever the case, I wanna know what it is and when I have to make sure to do it by before the point of no return, whenever and wherever that is.
NGL, I only found one can when I played, and the gumball I got after trading it in just kinda sat in my inventory doing nothing for the rest of the game. Couldn't even eat it. Made me sad.

There's a bunch of cans just lying around outside, I found about 4 in my playthrough. I think you get a random gumball. You can have Ashley chew on the gum and she comments on it. There's a mystery flavor too, which I was lucky enough to get. It's a really cute touch!

NGL, I only found one can when I played, and the gumball I got after trading it in just kinda sat in my inventory doing nothing for the rest of the game. Couldn't even eat it. Made me sad.
I’m on Chapter 5 right now and so far I’ve found 6 cans (in addition to the 3 that you can buy at the beginning, so 9 total), but they’re really hard to see. The camera being how it is certainly doesn’t help, but they’re also similarly sized and colored to the little rocks that you see all over in the ground texture, which makes them especially easy to miss. And, of course, there doesn’t seem to be any guide online for this element of the game yet…

There's a bunch of cans just lying around outside, I found about 4 in my playthrough. I think you get a random gumball. You can have Ashley chew on the gum and she comments on it. There's a mystery flavor too, which I was lucky enough to get. It's a really cute touch!
I saw one comment online claiming there’s a rainbow one, and that it apparently unlocks something if you get it, but I haven’t seen anything else to corroborate that or give any further context. I just don’t want to miss out on an unlockable thing if it does exist.

How did get it in her mouth? I don't recall seeing an option for her to use it.

Back
Top Bottom