• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Another Code: Recollection |ST| Remember Ashley Mizuki Robbins

SirArthur

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him
Z1kKqQl.png

Details

Release Date: January 19th, 2024
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Standard Edition: $59.99 (USD)
Publisher: Nintendo
Developer: Arc Systems Works
Genre: Adventure/Puzzle (according to Nintendo)
Rating: Teen
Game File Size
: 5.2 GB
Amount of players: 1
Voice Languages: Japanese, English
Supported Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese

Metacritic (72)
Opencritic (73)

17w3fIR.png

A letter from her deceased (?!) father sets off Ashley’s twisty journey in the Another Code™: Recollection game. You’ll investigate eerie locales like Blood Edward Island, solve perplexing puzzles, and uncover visions of a tragic past.

FJbNuZg.png

gAQkYR.gif

OH9kokT.png

This collection has 2 games in the Another Code duology: Two Memories and Journey into Lost Memories

Ki25g4g.png

Ztwnx9M.png

Additional Characters

Gameplay

j68ItYZ.png

14ZOWPj.png

How different is the Switch Remake from the DS/Wii games?

4WNbLAE.png

Announcement and Overview Trailer

Screenshots/Art

y7hcwLf_d.webp
tffNWZC.png

M4xUwRl.jpg

4u9puYv.png

General Q&A:

- Is the game available physically?
  • Yes, the box art is the gorgeous first pic from the thread.
- Can you play the second game from the start menu?
  • No, you need to finish Two Memories to unlock the sequel.
- Does this game count for the Voucher program?
  • Yes, Another Code is a first party game, meaning it counts.
- Can I jump in without having played the original?
  • Yes, no prior knowledge is needed. There is also a demo with progress that carries over.
- Who was CiNG?
  • Was a studio that worked on adventure/visual novels like Another Code and Hotel Dusk. They went bankrupt in 2010, but some of the people are still in the industry, like the art director, Taisuke Kanasaki, and the writer, Rika Suzuki.
- Will we see more CiNG titles in the future?
  • Who knows. Hotel Dusk/Last Window are the only other CiNG developed Nintendo IP. Maybe.

* If there are other questions that come up, I will edit them in.

I sadly wont be enjoying the game at launch 😅
X94AvaH.png

I hope everyone enjoys these cult classic, either for the first time (me) or a returning fan.

r3gvtc.gif

Last edited:
got the go ahead to pick it up from GameStop tomorrow.

I'm excited. haven't played these before but always wanted to

Awesome ST SirArthur! I haven’t played these games before so I’m looking forward to playing them soon :)

My order has been dispatched so I should hopefully be playing this tomorrow!
Excited to revisit the Another Code games. I loved the DS game but I don't think I ever ended up finishing the Wii game so this will be the perfect opportunity to fix that!

Won't playing at launch, because I ordered it together with an import of the new Ace Attorney Trilogy, but actually really excited to dive right in as soon as I get it.

I've been meaning to play these games for so long as I love the Hotel Dusk duology and I hope this means that series also gets another chance and that we maybe even see a Sequel to either Series.
I will probably pick up right off from my Demo save.

Based on this:

it looks like they slightly changed the spelling of Ashley's name, and the one in the thread title is the old version.
Yes I noticed that. That is one of 2 reasons for the thread title ;). The second one might be more obscure, but its from a movie.

Super excited for tomorrow. Legit never thought that this would be real. That this is the time.

After a very, very intense week for me, this kind of slow-paced and low-key adventure is a godsend.

My copy arrived a day early, so I've cracked on and beaten Two Memories. Very impressed so far, even if there are a few rough spots here and there. Definitely looking forward to Journey into Lost Memories, will post fuller thoughts once I beat that.

Great ST! I’m very excited to jump into this since I never played the sequel.

I hope the release of this and FDC is a sign that Nintendo is interested in releasing more VN/adventures games. Kyle Hyde collection is a must obviously, but also some new releases would be nice too.

I really hope I'm getting my copy tomorrow, really looking forward to playing it!

Edit:

Well this is exciting, hope that they manage the Kyle Hyde duology as well! 👀

Last edited:
Started the demo tonight to get to the end of the first chapter. I'm not one to normally complain about motion controls, but oof that stool did not want to play nice with the pro controller. I did get it after a few minutes but I was very tempted to go portable mode for it like I did a few puzzles in BotW.

Visual novel + puzzle + adventure matches my taste in games almost perfectly. There was no way I'd miss out on this, even if I haven't played the originals. Super excited for my preload to unlock tonight.

Nice ST!

Nearing the end of the first game now; so incredibly happy that this exists.

Noticed a particular added line that wasn't in the original though, pretty interesting:

aLjBHxg.png

Please please please please please remake them next.

Nearing the end of the first game now; so incredibly happy that this exists.

Noticed a particular added line that wasn't in the original though, pretty interesting:

Please please please please please remake them next.
So should i play this one or the original version?

I guess if I'm curious in this game I should try the demo. Something slow paced and chill could be good for me right now.

I finished up both games just now; great game, definitely a recommendation from me for VN/ADV fans.

About one hour into the first game and it's so... heartfelt. Just a game that has both charm and emotion but also mystery and sadness.

One of those dream come true remakes.

I’ll probably pick this up since I might well be snowed in all weekend. Hotel Dusk is the CiNG game I played at the time and have the most fondness for, but I definitely saw Another Code in Nintendo Powers of the era. Hope the Hotel Dusk duology gets a redux next! Nice to see Nintendo getting more behind VN/Adventure games with this and Famicom Detective Club, though I suspect it’s mostly incidental .

Welp, stuck.

Can someone help me with the scales ?

So I know from Frannie's challenge paper that I need to align the sun and the moon scale so that the symbol on top is straight. And then I have to do something with the three decorations over the fireplace. But I try to align the scales and then leave, but Ashley takes the coin. I've tried to interact with the decorations, nothing happens. I've tried a bunch of stuff. I've tried taking photos of stuff too to see if it prompts anyone to say anything. Is it a bug or am I missing something obvious?

EDIT: Of course, the navigation feature! Really helpful, I was completely on the wrong track, heh.

Last edited:
I was really excited to start this game today (well, picking up from where the demo left off, at least), but at the beginning of this week I decided to finally go back and finish the second half of The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, thinking I could beat it before Friday…but clearly I was wrong, since I’m only halfway through Resolve right now, lol. Now I’m torn on whether I should take a break from that to play Another Code, or just wait until I’m finished with TGAAC…

Started the demo tonight to get to the end of the first chapter. I'm not one to normally complain about motion controls, but oof that stool did not want to play nice with the pro controller. I did get it after a few minutes but I was very tempted to go portable mode for it like I did a few puzzles in BotW.
This was my only issue with the demo, too. The motion controls seemed to be calibrated totally wrong for the Pro Controller. I didn’t try switching to Joy-Con since it was just that one puzzle, but I wonder how much different it is with Joy-Con instead… Wondering if I should just play the whole game with Joy-Con to avoid that issue popping up again, assuming the motion controls are better calibrated for Joy-Con, that is… I imagine they have to be, right?? ‘Cause it was bad with a Pro Controller, and I’m not one who usually takes issue with motion controls.

Having beaten both games, I need some time to stop crying after hearing that ending song consider my opinion fully. That said, I must immediately note how significantly different the plot of Journey into Lost Memories is, based on my brief reading of the Wikipedia plot summary*. I guess the name Another Code: Recollection holds true in more ways than one, considering how this was used as an opportunity to stitch both games together into a more coherent narrative.

Very impressed, overall. Definitely worth a play, regardless if you've seen the originals or not. For those wondering, my total time was just about 15 hours - so yes, the second game has been significantly shortened (the first game is still around 5-6 hours long), presumably a consequence of the pacing being dramatically improved over the original.

*(I never played the originals, I would've been far too young at the time.)

Only played through R for the first time last year on Wii but still going to get this tonight and play through both this weekend, since they're great gems. And I really hope the sales are good to convince them to do Hotel Dusk & Last Window next...and a new game.

I'm a couple hours into the first game and enjoying it so far! The puzzles have been pretty straightforward, but the story and characters are interesting enough and the setting is good. I'm always going to be a sucker for a puzzle mansion.

Played about an hour of the demo tonight, pretty sure I’m going out to pick this up tomorrow if the snow cooperates. Really like the stylistic comic-book-like panels that frame the conversations, add in the voice acting it’s a very polished experience. Story so far is intriguing enough, though coming off Super Mario RPG makes this seem like Agatha Christie’s finest.

Finished the first half. It's funny, when I originally played this on the DS like 18 years ago, I thought the ending was rather abrupt and not the most satisfying. Despite things mostly being the same here, the ending worked a lot better in the remake.

Can't wait to finally see the second game after all this time.

EDIT: Nevermind. Got a bit confused about what I was supposed to do with the DAS near the end of Two Memories, but It clicked when I used the backlog to re-read the previous conversation. The one time I don't pay full attention to a cutscene...

Could only play for like an hour before work today but I'm digging the vibes. It's quiet and lonely in a comforting way.
I'm also appreciating the way conversations are figuratively and literally framed. That combined with the voice acting give a great first impression stylistically and presentation-wise.

Super excited for this one, but I don't have any expected delivery date for my copy yet. Oh well. It may be awhile yet before I get to it since my mom wants to play it, too.

Still amazed this game is real. Hope this release does well.

Finished the first game last night and it reminded me of my undying love for these kind of compact, self-contained experiences. In shy of 6 hours, Another Code manages to convey more heart and emotion than what many other games does in 60. The genre is on point here, and in many ways, it feels like Nintendo's own Gone Home or Edith Finch, with its slow-burn puzzle solving and quiet character moments. It knows what it wants to do, and pulls it off so well.

This is incredible. The puzzles are all fun, the setting is intriguing and the plot unfolds in so many unexpected ways that it left me shook. Right in the feels. I've grown so attached to the experience already, and it feel sos gratifying to finally finish what I started back in 2009.

The game does so many things right, and manages to be so vibrant and expressive, despite its modest budget. But above all, it does such an effortless job in hiding the deeper and more complex side of its narrative in plain sight. Coming to the island in the boat, and solving the first few environmental puzzles to get to the mansion is a cozy and a bit lonely experience, but doing these small tasks lulls you into a false sense of sorts, that this adventure and this story is much lighter than it actually is. It's such a coin-flip. It's cozy when it wants to be, but when it hits, it sure as hell hits. Wow.

Just wrapped up the game; about 20 hours all up. Going to take me a bit to write up long-form thoughts; wouldn't want to spoil the experience for those currently playing or planning to start either; but I was already happy just with this existing to begin with, and i'm so, so happy with how it ended up turning out. Now I can only hope the reunited Cing staff stick together for another game after this.

There's something mildly funny about the whiplash of going from "OMG, my dad is back and we can be a family 😊" Ashley at the end of Two Memories to "fuck my deadbeat dad and this stupid camping trip 😡" Ashley at the start of Journey into Lost Memories.

Just extending my impressions/ I had previously posted about the demo in the demo thread and I want to get the negative stuff out of the way first now that im playing the retail game.

-The game feels kind of retro, very PS2 era with stiff animations and 'boxy' areas that you constantly have to load in and out of. There are indie walking sims where a much larger area is either loaded into memory or streamed as you play. Thinking of something like ' Gone Home' which was released a decade ago

-Voice acting is very hit and miss, there is some over acting when adults try to sound like children.

-A bit baffling at the low quality texture work in this game, and the low quality baked in shadows on the environment.

- I wish the options menu had a 'speed text' option, there's an enable/disable autoplay. While enalbing autoplay is nice for the cutscenes, it also locks you out of quickly tabbing out of the text bubbles when you inspect items, i think there's a mandatory 3 second wait for each item, which is annoying

- I wish there is an option to toggle between regular and sprint walking speed so i can just walk fast by default.

Despite all the negatives, I adore this game. Still slowly working through it to enjoy the game and not rushing.

Last edited:
Thank you for the great ST!
I would like to ask those who have already beaten both of the games: how long is the collection overall? I would like to start it soon, but I don't like playing games without knowing how long they take!

Thank you for the great ST!
I would like to ask those who have already beaten both of the games: how long is the collection overall? I would like to start it soon, but I don't like playing games without knowing how long they take!
My copy is still in the way 😭 . But from reviewers and people here and online, the first one runs about 5+ hours and the sequel 8-10 hours. That's the average I've seen, some have spend a bit more also.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the motion controls are better with the Joy-Con versus the Pro Controller? I’ve got the game but I haven’t started it yet, and before I start playing the full game I’d like to know if I should switch to using Joy-Con for a better experience with motion controls (I would normally use a Pro Controller, as I did with the demo).

Can anyone confirm whether or not the motion controls are better with the Joy-Con versus the Pro Controller? I’ve got the game but I haven’t started it yet, and before I start playing the full game I’d like to know if I should switch to using Joy-Con for a better experience with motion controls (I would normally use a Pro Controller, as I did with the demo).
I'm near the end of the second game and there's not that many motion control puzzles to mandate a huge controller shift for them. Additionally I found they controlled fine with the pro controller... except for the stool puzzle in the demo/beginning of the game. I think even with perfect motion controls that puzzle would still be awkward.

Quoted by: Tye
I'm near the end of the second game and there's not that many motion control puzzles to mandate a huge controller shift for them. Additionally I found they controlled fine with the pro controller... except for the stool puzzle in the demo/beginning of the game. I think even with perfect motion controls that puzzle would still be awkward.
Weird, I wonder what it is about that stool puzzle that makes the motion controls feel so off there. I’d understand it if the placement of the stool mirrored the Pro Controller roughly 1:1, but that didn’t seem to be the case at all for me and I’m not sure how my movements were supposed to relate to the stool. I solved it eventually, of course, but it didn’t feel good or natural at all.

Weird, I wonder what it is about that stool puzzle that makes the motion controls feel so off there. I’d understand it if the placement of the stool mirrored the Pro Controller roughly 1:1, but that didn’t seem to be the case at all for me and I’m not sure how my movements were supposed to relate to the stool. I solved it eventually, of course, but it didn’t feel good or natural at all.
I think it's because the stool puzzle requires you to rotate the object a full 360 degrees. It feels like the stool is over tuned, as if the devs wanted you to be able to flip it without flipping your controller. That just isn't how anyone would visualize or expect motion controls to work, which is why the stool just seems to spin wildly.

Quoted by: Tye
I think it's because the stool puzzle requires you to rotate the object a full 360 degrees. It feels like the stool is over tuned, as if the devs wanted you to be able to flip it without flipping your controller. That just isn't how anyone would visualize or expect motion controls to work, which is why the stool just seems to spin wildly.
Ah, I guess it does have to work in Handheld Mode too, so that would make sense… Breath of the Wild handled the same thing differently, though, and while people complained about the motion control puzzles in that game, I thought they worked fine. Definitely better than this, at least. Either way this stool puzzle felt surprisingly unpolished for a Nintendo game, so it stood out to me.

I have the Lake Juliet doo doodoo doooo song stuck in my head and it won't go away.

I'm really impressed by how good the character models look here. It's as high quality as you'd hope for a remake of both a DS and Wii game while unifying the art style and gameplay. I've always loved Cing's games and they really did right by them here. We can hope for Hotel Dusk remakes some day.

Back
Top Bottom