• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic The 2023 Completed Games Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my current list. I started playing games again during July after some health issues I dealt with for a while

Star Wars Jedi survivor
Pokémon scarlet
Assassins creed rogue remastered
Dead space remake
Grand theft auto vice city
Batman Arkham origins
Spider man remastered
Sonic generations
Gotham knights
Super Mario bros wonder
Banjo kazooie
Resident evil 4 remake

1: Octopath Traveler (23-01)
2: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe + Wave 1-3 of the Booster Course Pass (28-01)
3: Paper Mario: The Origami King (13-02)
4: A Short Hike (19-02)
5: Celeste (25-02)
6: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle (+ Season Pass) (05-03)
7: Pikmin 4 (23-09)
8: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (10-10)
9: Octopath Traveler II (12-10)
10: Spiritfarer (16-10)
11: Super Mario Bros. Wonder (06-11)

12: Kirby and the Forgotten Land (16-11)
I 100%'d the game, which took me 30 hours.

I didn't know what to expect when I purchased the game, but I was pleasantly surprised!
This is the first 3D Kirby game ever, which looks 100 times better than any 3D Pokémon game ever released, which makes the game very impressive.
Every level has a couple small challenges, which are not revealed before or during the level. You need to do every one of these in order to 100% that level.
Some of these could be surprisingly difficult to figure out! But I never had to look one up, it was always possible to figure it out.

At the end of the game the story suddenly ramps up and quite a bit of background story is revealed, which was a great surprise that made up for the lack of story during the game.
The difficulty (I chose Wild Mode instead of Spring-Breeze Mode) was on the mark for me, it was not too difficult and not too easy. Some things took a couple of tries but it never got to Dark Souls levels of difficulty.

It is not TOTK or Mario Odyssey levels of fun, but the game is very well made, looks beautiful on Switch and kept surprising me throughout.

Currently, I'm playing Sea of Stars. I'm also going to try and finish Live A Live, which I started on quite a while ago.
I've also been on a secondhand Switch game buying spree lately, where I bought games that have come out earlier out in the Switch lifecycle but that I never tried. Recently I purchased Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Luigi's Mansion 3, Link's Awakening and Skyward Sword HD.
So enough games to play next :)

Doing my best to number these in the chronological order I finished them:

1. The Legend of Heroes: Kuro no Kiseki II (carryover from 2022) (PS4)
2. Graze Counter GM (Xbox)
3. Goldeneye 007 (Xbox)
4. Star Ocean The Divine Force (Xbox)
5. Metroid Prime Remastered (Switch)
6. Ender Lilies Quietus of the Knights (Xbox)
7. Gal Guardians Demon Purge (Xbox)
8. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty (Xbox)
9. Octopath Traveller 2 (Switch)
10. Resident Evil 4 Remake (Xbox)
11. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth (PC)
12. Fire Emblem Engage (Switch)
13. Ys Memoire The Oath in Felghana (Switch)
14. Atelier Ryza 3 (Switch)
15. Grimgrimoire OnceMore (Switch)
16. The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom (Switch)
17. Pikmin 4 (Switch)
18. Paranormasight (Switch)
19. Etrian Odyssey 1 HD (Switch)
20. Quake 2 Remastered (Xbox)
21. Hi-Fi Rush (Xbox)
22. Master Detective Archives: Raincode (Switch)
23. Nayuta no Kiseki Ad Astra (Switch)
24. Atelier Marie (Switch)
25. Persona 4 Golden (Xbox)
26. Gurumin: A Monsterous Adventure (PC)
27. Sakura Wars 2 (Sega Saturn)
28. Mary Skelter Finale (Switch)
29. Super Mario Bros Wonder (Switch)
30. Ys X Nordics (Switch)
31. Alice Escaped! (Switch)
32. Like a Dragon Gaiden (Xbox)
33. Yohane the Parhelion (Xbox)

This is also the year I really started challenging myself to get through some games with Japanese text after starting to self-learn it around mid-last year. From this list I played through Kuro no Kiseki II (was playing it since Sept 2022, finished Jan this year), Fire Emblem Engage, Ys Memoire, Zelda TOTK, Etrian Odyssey 1 HD, Nayuta no Kiseki, Sakura Wars 2, Mario Wonder (honestly I was just too lazy to turn my Switch back to English lol) and Ys X in Japanese.

41) Elevator Action Returns S-tribute
Fun and brisk arcade action… even if I cheesed the settings a bit
42) Pikmin
First time playing original, really fun if brisk game. Will probably wait a bit before starting 2

Previous games:
1)Yoku’s island express
2)Live a Live
3)Arcade Paradise
4)The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
5)Immortal Fenyx rising
6) SD Gundam Battle Alliance
7)Nier Automata
8)Crimson Skies High road to revenge
9)Stacking
10)Conker Live and reloaded
11)Legend of Zelda the minish Cap
12)Ducktales remastered
13)Vostok Inc
14) Star Wars Battlefront(OG)
15)Kirby and the forgotten land
16) Xenoblade chronicles 3 Future Redeemed
17) Sonic Adventure(Xbox)
18)Rhapsody a Musical Adventure
19)Legend Of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
20)The Great Ace Attorney 2 Resolve
21) Super Mario Advance(Super Mario Bros 2)
22)Lunistice
23)Ghost Trick(phone version)
24) Crusader of Centy
25)Cosmic Star Heroine
26) SMA2 SMW
27)SMA3 YI
28)SMA4 SMB3
29)SMB the Lost Levels(All Stars)
30)SMB(all Stars)
31) FFVIII
32) From Dust
33) Sonic Adventure 2
34) FEWTH
35)We Love katamari Reroll
36)Captain Toad treasure tracker
37) Super Mario Bros Wonder
38) Mario and Luigi Superstar saga
39)Nier Replicant(all routes)
40) Mario Party 3 (story mode)

Last edited:
Finished Super Mario Bros. Wonder a few days ago but didn't have time to update this list until now. Thought it was very enjoyable, the first time I really loved a 2D Mario since SMB3. It's just a grab bag of fun, inventive and surprising levels one after another. Not every single level is a winner but they're often quick enough that you don't dwell on them too much. This makes for a rather breezy experience up until the post-game where the difficulty ramps up quite a bit.

The biggest (pleasant) surprise were the Wonder Seeds. Was afraid it'd be a gimmick but it turned out to be a clever "memorable moments" generator. Don't remember who said this but I think most people would have been impressed if half of the levels had a WS yet they're in every single one. The only real negative for me were the bosses. In a game that puts such a huge emphasis on surprising the player they kind of dropped the ball in this department. Overall, this probably would have been in my Top 3 of the year if it weren't for...

Lunacid, a King's Field inspired first-person RPG by solo-developer Kira. It's a bit janky, very obtuse in many ways yet not overly difficult. Having done everything in it, partly with a guide, I can only recommend it with some caveats. If you're expecting a deep RPG, this isn't really it and I think most people who are more into Fromsoft's newer games are probably not going to enjoy it as much because of the perspective and combat. Even for fans of King's Field and Shadow Tower wanting something similar this might not entirely scratch that itch. Where Lunacid shines is its immaculate atmosphere and vibes (seriously, the soundtrack is amazing), the intricate level-design and the fragmented world-building. There's more of a focus on exploration rather than combat and fighting the somewhat dull AI tends to get repetitive. Though it's always fun to get a new weapon and work on upgrading it. If you were ever interested in trying one of Fromsoftware's old first-person games this is basically just a more accessible version of those. As for myself, I was thoroughly enthralled throughout my 10h+ of playtime and can't stop thinking about it.

1. Dark Souls III
  2. Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
  3. The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
  4. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  6. Metroid Prime Remastered
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Dream Land
  9. WarioWare, Inc. Mega Microgames!
  10. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
  11. Resident Evil 4 Remake
  12. Nintendo Switch Sports
  13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
  14. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (Linked Game)
  15. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (Project Restoration)
  16. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  17. The Room
  18. The Room Two
  19. Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  20. Dredge
  21. Storyteller
  22. Luna's Fishing Garden
  23. Nuclear Blaze
  24. The Room Three
  25. Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade
  26. Spaceplan
  27. The Gardens Between
  28. Pikmin 4
  29. Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  30. Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed
  31. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  32. Rygar: The Legendary Adventure
  33. Judgment
  34. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways
  35. Pokémon Crystal Legacy
  36. Kaze and the Wild Masks
  37. Drainus
  38. En Garde!
  39. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  40. Lunacid

Played through Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues with my girlfriend, mostly because she’s a huge fan of the show. And know what? It did not feel like a simple cash-in; the gamefeel was surprisingly solid, barring some chugging here and there. I don’t think I’d ever play it on my own, but it wasn’t a horrible time.

43. Wild Gunman (NES) [8/10]

This one surprised me! I knew it was relatively simple, but it is a lot of fun and can stand on its own even with the other two Zapper games that were on the NES at launch. The visuals and sound go a long way, you feel like you are in the old west. Where the game really shines though is giving you the feeling that you are in an actual dual and are and actual gunslinger. It reminds me of Urban Champion in that the simplicity elevates it. The game instruction book specifically says to lower your hand and only raise it when your opponent says "fire!". I wonder how many people skip this part when trying out the game, it really is what makes it so fun and what makes it worth playing over the otherwise superior Hogan's Alley. Again like Hogan's Alley I found it much more tasteful to be shooting Bad Guys instead of cute little ducks.

I'm not finished with Gumshoe yet, but I'm ready to deliver my NES Black Box Zapper Ranking™ of Hogan's Alley > Gumshoe > Wild Gunman >> Duck Hunt. Wonderful technology.

16. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (XBX)

Here's a half-assed review for a half-assed "premium" game. Clearly DLC. Campaign is not a campaign while containing reused content. Zombies is interesting but it is just DMZ. Multiplayer is fine. As someone who grew up and loved the OG Mw2 maps, I have to say they are hella overrated. Some of the maps are pure and utter garbage. A couple are great and a couple more are good. It's all very meh with movement that almost works perfectly with the maps. Old guns don't belong in the game because they are mostly underpowered compared to the new ones. Skins suck.

Somehow better than last year's game. (6.0/10)

but really at $70 it's a 5 lol

Crusin USA: have a soft spot for this one! Compared to tons of other generic PS1/N64 era racing games, this game actually has a cool concept and really fun arcady controls! 7/10, doesn‘t feel clunky at all! Which I can’t say about….
Need for speed 2/3: Ehhhhhhhhhhhh/10
Gran truismo 1: Pretty much exactly what I thought about 2, fun time but nothing special. Really just a product of its time (but god this game has too many menu’s). 6/10
Pocket fighter: Really cool spin on typical fighting game combat. Combining puzzle games and fighting games is a genius idea, and is held together by capcoms usual incredible pixel art. 7/10, surprise hit for me
Capcom Vs SNK: Another game I really like (oh god am I becoming a fighting game guy). Something about this game makes me like it more than most other fighting games I’ve played and I don’t know what. 7/10
Mr Driller: Very interesting concept for a game. Playing a game like this next to realistic games like gran turismo and need for speed really made me appreciate the variety of games on the PS1. You have games that focus on realism, games that put a unique spin on mostly stagnant genres, and games that make you scratch your head wondering ”who came up with this?”. I know I didn’t really talk about Mr Driller, but I just wanted to point that out. 7/10

Last edited:
103. Talos Principle II

This was one of my most anticipated games ever since the first one. I suppose due to that 9 year wair I can't help but feel a little critical towards it. Talos Principle II is one of those sequels that tries to be bigger and better, but falls just a little short. Even if you don't have any expectations going in, I feel like it doesn't live up to its own grandiose setup.

This is a bigger and better Portal-like game where you solve puzzles in dedicated rooms. While every puzzle is polished and cool, some of them will come and go without giving you any satisfaction. The game is noticeably easier than the first one, which is weird considering unlike the original, it doesn't task you with solving every puzzle for a good ending, just 80% of them.

Not to say I didn't get my "reenter the puzzle" or "get stuck for 20 minutes" achievements, but those were far and few between, and part of it is due to the game introducing and ditching new concepts at lightning speed. While it does get rid of some of the more annoying mechanics from the first game (everything that could kill you is gone), I do feel like the game could be a little more focused if it gotten rid of one or two of its new mechanics.

The game is broken up into 12 worlds, 10 puzzles each. Almost all of the worlds have a unique contraption which, unfortunately, you won't see past the world almost ever again. Unlike Portal 2, which at the end blended its paints and gravitunnels, Talos 2 has a habit of teaching you its mechanics and ramping them up a bit before throwing them away. It's quite strange and just feels like a victim of "bigger is better" mindset. Each of its weird contraptions is a joy to work with, and I was always interested in what comes next, don't get me wrong, but I think I'd rather take most puzzles with existing mechanics that fully explored their possibilities. The final world does something similar to that, but for some reason only for very basic items like boxes and connectors.

Another thing that suffers are the hubs. Each of 12 worlds is a beautiful and completely unique place, but they are a bit big. While there are some collectibles and star puzzles, I feel like the game made the wrong call of placing exactly the same things into each hub. You'll encounter a lab, 3 terminals (one with text logs, another for text logs and an audio file, and the last one with just an audio file one), 2 stars, 2 "lost puzzles", and that ends up feeling very gamey. Talos 1 had hubs of various lengths and some could contain a highly secret star or even two, but most didn't.

Star puzzles are, perhaps, my biggest disappointment of this game. What was previously a really hard reward that at times required community effort is now broken up into one of three possilble challenges:
1. Find a blue flame and chase it across the map
2. Connect a laser from a puzzle to the statue
3. A more random sphinx puzzle
While you might be interested in sphinx puzzles the most, even they end up being nearly the same - most show you a map of the area where you have to find a switch.

I understand that nearly every game can be criticized by asking for more, but I genuinely feel like some of the wonder and exploration of Talos 2 is gone compared to the first title, and that's a shame. Sure, you can find various human artefacts, but there's really no point to them considering they'll give you a jpeg of an item and a small description. Why not have your companions, who aren't well-versed in human history, talk about it, for example?

Those few items that don't show up on your compass seem to completely replace easter eggs from Talos 1, for some reason. This is a strange omission considering Croteam is known for various secrets, and the tone of the game isn't so serious that you can't hide them somewhere. I would prefer a "famous video game boxes" room from the first to any of the artifacts I've found in the second game.

It's just a little strange to compare this game to Talos 1, which was already somewhat imperfect, and see that it fixes so much, but stumbles in other places.
One thing where it doesn't stumble however, is the story. The amount of characters you can speak to is insane, and most of them are extremely well-written. It was a joy to stumble across my expedition comrades on the road to speak to them about their pets or various happenings. The game still will challenge your views, asking you tough questions and remembering quite a few of your responses.

The music is a joy to listen to and enviroments are some of the best ever created, so it's a shame Talos 2 isn't a little more focused. Some of its mechanics come and go and don't ask you for complete mastery unlike its predeccessor.

Still, while I do have my thoughts about how the game could've been better, I can't say I didn't have a blast for FORTY hours of playtime. Hell, it even made me cry.

Well, lookie here, i just completed another game

Spider-man: Miles Morales
F_W2tBeXsAAnno7

Regardless of my general apathy about the US Superhero industry, i've always been somewhat of a Spider-man fan. When i got the PS Premium and turned out that the original PS4 game was available there i downloaded and started playing it, but i was going through something and wasn't in the right mindset, and before i realized they had taken it out because they were releasing the remaster.

That was an asshole move.

Lately i've been in the mood for something different, so i downloaded Spider-man: Miles Morales to give it a try. It hooked me instantly despite going through a rough patch again, and i've ended up completing it in less than a week. To say that i'm amazed at myself would be an understatement.

F_QJnsUWIAAroGF

And, as far as i remember about the first entry, THIS is what the first Spider-man should have been like, at least in terms of character introduction. In fact, it's a very compact package that doesn't give you the chance to get bored. I kiiiiinda didn't like that though, because it harasses you with collectibles, crimes and random events left and right when you're just swinging through the city, i tried to stop and breathe a couple of times and it's literally impossible, i couldn't stay put for five minutes before being notified about a crime that was being commited nearby.

But well, that's the Spider-man experience so, in a way, one could say that they actually nailed it. Speaking of that, controls are confusing at first (too many multi-button commands) but once you get used to that, its combat system reveals itself as the most freeform combat system i've ever experienced, and swinging is a top traversal method, both fast and agile.

F_HgULsWoAAkzIS

I think this may be one of my top 5 games of the year, and one of my top 3 PS5 games. After the Arkham games, i didn't expect to like this so much.

Chef kiss to Insomniac.

33 — Super Mario RPG
I’ve still got some post-game stuff to get to, but in terms of hitting the credits…that’s a wrap on my last new game of the year! This was already an enduring favourite for me, but the care taken in its presentation and preservation hit me harder than I thought. And while it’s a relatively minor coda, the way the post-game stuff is structured like a little quest of its own has been a very cool capper. Truly an original game.

★ — Not bad!
★★ — Pretty dang good.
★★★ — Blew me away.

I only really finish games I like and even a one star is a positive review! It’s just to show how much I enjoyed it in relativity.

Advance Wars 1+2 Reboot Camp
Baba is You
Castle Crumble
Coffee Talk
Coffee Talk 2
Diablo IV
Melatonin
Metroid Dread
Pentiment
stitch.
Vampire Survivors

★★
Cocoon
Forza Motorsport
F-ZERO 99
Hitman Freelancer
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
NYT Word Games
Quake II
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe
The Talos Principle
Triangle Strategy
XC3: Future Redeemed

★★★
Armored Core VI: Fires of Rubicon
Bonfire Peaks
Fashion Dreamer
Milk Inside…
Octopath Traveler II
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Bros. Wonder
Super Mario RPG
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim
Zelda: TotK

Update | 11.20.2023 (New/updated entries are bolded. See linked post for my reviews on games that I talked about last time.)

Full games

1) Fire Emblem Engage - 9/10

2) Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - 8/10

3) Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 10/10

4) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 10/10

5) Pikmin 4 - 10/10

6) Fire Emblem Awakening - 9.5/10 (updated score)

7) Super Mario Bros. Wonder - 9.25/10

This game was just pure joy all the way through. Badges and Wonder Flowers added a new element to the game and in my opinion, this really was the reinvention that 2D Mario needed.

DLC

1) Fire Emblem Engage Fell Xenologue - 8/10

2) Mariokart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 4 - 7.5/10

3) Mariokart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 5 - 7.5/10

4) Pokémon Violet: The Teal Mask - 5.75/10

5) Mariokart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 6 - 8.25/10

This wave gets a higher score from me than previous waves, thanks to the music player, plethora of new characters and Mii costumes, good courses, and of course Wii Rainbow Road specifically looking and feeling amazing.

Currently on the go:

1) Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

2) Pokémon Black Version

3) Super Mario RPG

I'm not sure why I haven't done this yet, but better late than never! I'm sure I've forgotten things here, but this is everything coming to mind. I'd love to have more time to play, but 2023 has been (without a doubt) the busiest year of my life and I just haven't had as much time.

Full games

1) Fire Emblem Engage - 9/10

I know it's not the most popular FE title, but this will always hold a soft spot in my heart as the game that turned me into an FE fan. Last year, I was the kind of guy that thought FE looked stupid and groaned every time it showed up in a Direct, but I see now that I couldn't have been any more wrong. I fell in love with FE, its stories, and its gameplay with this title, and you'll see it's made a major impact on my game choices this year. Even if I'm playing Normal/Casual, FE just makes me feel so intelligent every time I figure out a new strategy and win on the battlefield. It's incredibly rewarding.

2) Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe - 8/10

This one was a lot of fun. I have a friend who adores the Wii original (which I've never played) and I enjoyed chatting with him about this. It made for some good memories, looks great, and the challenge stages were a lot of fun. In the grand scheme of things, though, it didn't particularly stand out this year. Of all the games I've beaten in 2023 thus far, it's the most forgettable... but that's not really Kirby's fault, more so a result of 2023 being such an amazing year for games otherwise.

3) Fire Emblem: Three Houses - 10/10

This game felt like Engage but was far better. I love the split paths; I took the Blue Lions route and hope to go back to the other two someday. The theming, story, gameplay, and everything else is just so wonderful. You can feel the love that the developers poured into this. To show you how amazing this game is, I'll leave you with this: Tears of the Kingdom is my most anticipated game of all time, and after a week straight of playing TotK, I'd go days without touching it because I was still so busy finishing up Three Houses. Not every game can share time with Tears of the Kingdom soon after release, but Three Houses fit the bill.

4) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - 10/10

Here it is - the game we were all waiting for! This game is epic in every imaginable way and the gameplay is absolutely unrivalled. Ultrahand and Fuse add so much creativity to the experience and the feeling of discovering the Depths for the first time was insane. Despite the 10/10 score, I don't think the game is perfect. There are some areas I wish had been done differently. Part of me still wishes we'd gotten an entirely new world with the sky islands and Depths, as much as that would have been to develop. Most of my critiques lie with its relation to its predecessor. But ultimately, the gameplay here is just so damn good that it'd be a crime to give it any other score. It's my favourite game of all time despite my critiques. I played TotK more in the first few months than most other games, and standing on its own, I feel confident calling it the best game I've ever played.

5) Pikmin 4 - 10/10

Pikmin is a series I've wanted to become a fan of for some time, and Pikmin 4 finally brought this wish to life. The game is absurdly addicting and charming. It bursts with character every step of the way. Getting Platinum on the Dandori Challenges was a highlight for me... I felt so smart when I crafted an elaborate strategy to get everything done as fast as possible. I'm not sure if I'd like Pikmin 1, 2, or 3, but 4 was an absolute highlight of the year.

6) Fire Emblem Awakening - 9.25/10

I just finished this the other day, and again, Fire Emblem never fails to impress. This game was magical and it was great to experience the game that supposedly saved the series. The story was great and I struggled at certain points, making it even more satisfying to surpass those obstacles. The only reason this doesn't get a 10/10 is because of the sheer epicness of the games on this list that do get a perfect score, in comparison.

DLC

1) Fire Emblem Engage Fell Xenologue - 8/10

This was a lot of fun and a great addition to FE Engage. The story was a little forced with the alternate dimension, but all in all I enjoyed the experience and it was well worth the money I paid for it.

2) Mariokart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 4 - 7.5/10

I had a lot of fun with this because it's more Mariokart 8. I hear some people say that later waves of the BCP are on-par with the base game, but I totally disagree. It's a far step over the embarrassing Wave 1, but it's still nowhere close to those original tracks. Despite that, it's a lot of fun to three-star all cups at every difficulty, and the price for the DLC is totally worth it given the quantity of extra tracks.

3) Mariokart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 5 - 7.5/10

Same as above.

4) Pokémon Violet: The Teal Mask - 5.75/10

The Pokémon DLC was fun but too flawed to give it a high score. The DLC runs like trash like the base game, the land is fairly forgettable, I don't like most of the new Pokémon species (yes, Ogerpon, this means you), the story was okay, only a few side quests of value, and Kieran just really annoyed me. It's more Pokémon so I know it'll be a good time, but yeah, I'd much rather Game Freak have spent the last year just fixing the base game with free patches.

Currently on the go:

1) Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

2) Super Mario Bros. Wonder

3) Pokémon Black Version

Overall... what a year! 2023 has truly been a phenomenal year for gaming... and it's not even over yet!

1. Death's Door
  2. Kirby's Dreamland
  3. Super Mario Land 2
  4. WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgames
  5. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  6. Metroid Prime: Remastered
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  10. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon
  12. Pikmin 1
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Pikmin 4
  15. Super Mario Bros. Wonder

16. Astro's Playroom (PS5) - Though the days of the fabled system pack-in are mostly over, Astro's Playroom shows that there is still a place in this capitalist dystopia for meaningful freebies. After all, what better way is there to sell an audience on your new hardware than a game that thoroughly showcases all of its potential? Astro does all of that and more, not only making the case for the DualSense's numerous gimmicks but also making the case for itself as a hell of a game in its own right.

I played Astro's Playroom a couple of years ago on my brother's system and was very impressed. When I nabbed my own PS5 a few weeks ago, I was curious to jump back in and see if some of the luster had been lost; I'd already experienced the innovations of the DualSense firsthand and have seen since then how few of those have been explored beyond what Astro did in 2020. Despite the since dulled excitement over the hardware and its many unique capabilities, I still had a blast exploring Astro's Playroom from start to finish. I even took the time to go back and unlock all of the Artifacts and Puzzle Pieces (though it's unlikely I'll go as far as getting a Platinum Trophy).

In the grand scheme of pack-in titles, I would put this game up there with the best of them. It is doubtful that it will be as timeless as Super Mario Bros. and it certainly didn't light the mainstream audience on fire like Wii Sports, but it more than justifies the attention paid to the DualSense controller at launch and demonstrates potential for more, even if that potential has yet to really pan out.

Just finished Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge. Fun arcade beat-‘em-up. 7 to 8 out of 10. Worth your time for some quick arcade fun.

Up next: Cuphead
I bounced off Cuphead in one sitting due to the lack of levels and being mostly bosses. Just not my taste. In my run and gun games, I like hard levels and quick bosses.

Now playing: Spidersaurs. It’s made by the same studio who made Contra 4. So far, it’s fun.

1. Persona 5 Royal
2. Metroid Prime Remastered
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
8. Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception
9. Utawarerumono: Mask of Truth
10. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
11. Donkey Kong Country (NSO)
12. Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion
13. Loopers
14. The Legend of Heroes: Trails into Reverie
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
19. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
20. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe

My impressions are... it's a Kirby game! Absolutely nothing wrong with that, though. I needed a little bit of that in my life over the past week. I think I like this one more than Triple Deluxe, but it's hard for any 2D Kirby to top Robobot. Anyways, I enjoyed the ultra abilities. Wrecking everything around you with Kirby is always satisfying. I never played the wii version, but I like everything they did with the remake. The visuals are very clean.

I guess there's a bunch of extra stuff I can do now that I have rolled the credits, but I'll leave this marked as finished for now. There's always more games I need to play!

Gubble for PS1: Actually played this game earlier in the year, just forgot to review it and came back to the game recently. Honestly an insanely gubble game, like the amount of gubble energy this game exudes is off the charts. A serious GOTY contender for me, and absolutely a gubble/10
X-Men Vs Street fighter: Fighting game, me no get into, but something of note was the the CPU’s were surprisingly hard. Even on normal difficulty I got kicked around in a way no other fighting game I ever played has. 6/10

17. Super Mario RPG (NSW)

I played the original when it came out on the Wii and I never finished it. It never hooked me however, I wanted to give it another chance. So I did with the remake. I don't know if I was wowed by it but I was definitely impressed. I think the artistic direction is great, just like with the original, and I enjoy the music so much. On top of that the dialogue is great and even funny. The expressiveness of the characters make it even better. There were a couple times where I felt there was too much dialogue, but it's hardly a demerit. As for the negatives. There is some stuttering but most if not all of it happens in the towns/villages you go to. It can be jarring. Platforming is hit or miss. The most frustrating part occurs before and after the 6th star. It's doesn't ruin the game at all but it's just annoying cause you've likely spent most of the game with a smile on your face and enjoying it. Then you suddenly can't jump from one vine to another. Maybe it's a skill issue.

One of the last issues I had is that the game comes close to doing that thing some rpgs do at the end of the game. Bloat in the name of artificial difficulty. It almost approaches the point of bloating the end game for the sake of making it "harder." It doesn't really get harder, just a little obnoxious. Speaking of being hard, this game most certainly is not that. I never hit a game over screen, and I'm sure there is one lol. To put into perspective how much easier this remake seems to be compared to the original, if you were to go to a walkthrough on gamefaqs(like the good ole days) you will see they suggest your party be level 24+ for the final boss. I beat the final boss at levels 20-21 with Mallow being at 27(who had no impact whatsoever with the final boss). Unfortunately if you use the right party you'll probably never have a party member go down in the final fight. I didn't. For me, I usually don't care about difficulty but I did feel like I cheesed the final fight just using one special move. No one shot K-O move confused me.

At the end of the day, this game is 12-15 hours of fun. It's brimming with character from top to bottom. I couldn't recommend this enough for those who love Mario RPG's and for those who want to play an RPG but you don't have 70+ hours to commit to one single rpg. (8.5/10)

*Denotes Replay

1) Guardians of the Galaxy - Cloud Version (NSW)
2) Rise of the Third Power (NSW)
3) Haiku, the Robot (NSW)
4) Fire Emblem Engage (NSW)
5) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA NSO)*
6) WareWare Inc. (GBA NSO)*
7) Panzer Dragoon Remake (NSW)*
8) Final Fantasy IX (NSW)*
9) UnMetal (NSW)
10) Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (NSW)
11) Octopath Traveler 2 (NSW)
12) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (NSW)
13) Citizen Sleeper : Purge (NSW)
14) Metroid Fusion (GBA NSO)*
15) The Red Strings Club (NSW)
16) Earthbound Beginnings (NES NSO)
17) Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (NSW)
18) Dungeon Encounters (NSW)
19) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)
20) Raptor Boyfriend: A High School Romance (NSW)
21) Picross S9 (NSW)
22) Persona 5 Royal (NSW)
23) Dragon Ball FighterZ (NSW - Game Trial NSO)
24) Brotato (NSW)
24) Voice of Cards: Beasts of Burden (NSW)
25) Unsighted (NSW)
26) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NSW)
27) Mercenaries Lament : Requiem of the Silver Wolf (NSW)
28) Vampire Survivors (NSW)
29) Sea of Stars (NSW)
30) ABZÛ (NSW)
31) Steins;Gate Elite (NSW)
32) Dorfromantik (NSW)
33) Diabolic (NSW)
34) Road 96 (NSW)
35) Knight vs. Giant: The Broken Excalibur (NSW)
36) Dredge (NSW)
37) Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk and Milk outside of bag of milk outside a bag of milk (NSW)
38) Super Kiwi 64 (NSW)
39) Super Mario Wonder (NSW)
40) Signalis (NSW)
41) Diablo II: Resurrected (NSW)

42) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

I had never heard of Record of Lodoss War before picking this up. I still don't know much about it other than it is a popular fantasy setting. Fortunately for me, the game does not require you to have any foreknowledge. Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth is a extremely competent metroidvania that takes a ton of inspiration from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Of course, it doesn't quite hit the heights of that classic, but I had a great time. It's well animated and feels great to control. It features a polarity switching mechanic ala Ikaruga (between fire and wind) that affects both attacks and damage absorption which adds a fun gameplay wrinkle, especially for bosses.

Considering I never hear anyone talk about this game I would consider this to be a hidden gem in the switch library. It's made by Team Ladybug, the same team that is making the upcoming Blade Chimera (featured in the most recent Indie World), so now I am even more excited for that one. A very plesant surprise.

1. Persona 5 Royal
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
13. Loopers
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
21. Super Mario RPG

With so many 50+ hour RPGs out there, I appreciate the short length of Super Mario RPG. I only took a bit over 10 hours to beat it, but I still felt like it was a complete experience.

The visuals, music, and characters were all great. The devs did a great job making everything expressive and giving some characters a great sense of humor. My only complaints are that platforming was kind of awkward, and a lot of mini games/puzzles were kind of clunky.

Overall, Super Mario RPG is a fantastic game! I can tell now that in many ways, it laid the foundation for future games like Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi. I never had any motivation to track down hardware for the original game, so I'm very glad that this remake exists.

1) Super Metroid (SNES)
2) Metroid Fusion (GBA)
3) Metroid Dread (NSW)
4) Sonic Frontiers (PS5)
5) MX vs ATV Legends (XSS)
6) Kuru Kuru Kuruin (GBA)
7) Metroid Prime Remastered (NSW)
8) HiFi Rush (XSS)
9) Final Fantasy Crisis Core Reunion (NSW)
10) Marvel’s Spider-Man Miles Morales (PS5)
11) Sonic Spinball (Genesis)
12) Sonic 3d Blast (Genesis)
13) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)
14) Sonic CD (Genesis)
15) Final Fantasy VII Remake (PS5)
16) Donald Duck Advance (GBA)
17) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (PS2)
18) Stunt Race FX (SNES)
19) Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
20) Super Mario RPG (SNES)
21) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Turtles in Time (SNES)
22) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
23) Tearaway (PSV)
24) Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure (GBA)
25) Gundam Battle Assault (PS1)
26) Final Fantasy XVI (PS5)
27) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shredder’s Revenge (XSS)
28) Asura’s Wrath (X360)
29) Ridge Racer (PS1)
30) Gravity Rush (PSV)
31) Ninpen Manmaru (Saturn)
32) Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 (PS5)
33) Final Fantasy VII Remake INTERmission (PS5)
34) En Garde! (PC)

35) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4)

The Nathan Drake Collection version. I'd never played any Uncharted before, but I have every game in the series and they've been in my backlog for a while. After playing the first game, I have mixed feelings. I liked the three main characters a lot, and the setting was really cool. I enjoyed the story. But the moment-to-moment gameplay was really not very much fun for most of the game. It's just gunfight after tedious gunfight, with the occasional platforming segment to break up the monotony. Those are awful, by the way; the platforming is downright bad. There were multiple times when I was stuck for minutes at a time, searching for the one ledge the game wanted you to grab to start the climbing sequence. I found myself saying, out loud, "This sucks. This sucks. God this sucks." quite a bit more than I would hope. The shooting is fun, but there's just so much of it. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but it's ridiculous how many people you kill over the course of this game. It's endless. There was a moment during a cutscene where Nate said something like "This is getting old." and I'm like, you're right, Nate! This is getting old.

Happily, things took a turn for the better in the last act of the game (when the monsters appear). Uncharted changed from a boring cover shooter to being a bit of a horror game, and that was a welcome change of pace. From then on to the end, I found myself having fun and feeling excited to see how the story was going to play out.

If the whole game could have been like the final act, maybe my opinion would be different. But as it stands, this feels like a solid 6/10 for me. I've seen people say that the second game is much better than the first one. Here's hoping! I won't be jumping straight into it though - I feel like I need a bit of a break before playing any more Uncharted.

1) Pokemon Scarlet, January 21st
Great new Pokémon, my favourite Pokémon game since X and Y by far. Despite really liking the characters, Pokémon and overall game design I realize I only have so many AI Pokémon fights left in me. Good thing the trainers are more optional than ever.

2) Dragon Quest Treasures, January 28th
This game is perfect for people who have my kind of brain and are huge Dragon Quest fans like I am. The gameplay loop is short and repeats a LOT. But finding another iconic piece of treasure with one of your favourite characters, weapons, or monsters from the serious feels great. Combat is not deep but enjoyable and I always love having monsters at partners. I will come back to this game and get some treasures for years to come.
3) Kirby's Dreamland, February 11th
Short and sweet, it's pure Kirby.

4) Cave Story+, July 13th
One of the OG Indies that I have owned for 10+ years now and never really played because I dislike playing on PC. The exact reason I bought a Steam Deck. Solid throughout, this game feels just right.

5) Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, July 17th
Aria is one of my favourite games and I loved its sequel as well. The character art, writing, and immense grinding thanks to a broken luck stat makes me like it less than its predecessor. Everything else, it pretty much nails.

6) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, August 11th

Did not know this game's gimmick before I played and was pleasently surprised. Again, not a huge fan of the character portraits and characters themselves but loved the change of pace. Controlling two characters with different abilities feels great in a Castlevania game.
7) Final Fantasy VII, November 19th

Will probably write something longer in the future. For now: The world, cast, and music are all among my favourites ever. This games ability to be everything while being something so specific is remarkable.

8) Storyteller, November 20th

Exactly what I wanted. Some of the puzzles had me stumped for longer than I'd like to admit, but most take a couple of minutes maximum. Great game that reminds me of one Professor Layton minigame, but still manages to be unique among any other game I've ever played.
9) Super Mario Bros. Wonder, November 22nd

Pure joy. Only have a few points of criticism, which all pale in comparison to the fun I had. Biggest flaw is that I just want more. I give this game the highest honor I can think of: it is as good as Mario.

Last edited:
I've seen people say that the second game is much better than the first one.
Uncharted 2 is a leap over Uncharted 1, but that’s more by capitalizing on its strengths (bombastic setpieces, cool story and characters). It still shares the weakness of the mediocre gunplay and bullet-sponge enemies.

So in short, definitely take a break lol

I've failed to keep a list, but am popping in to say I beat Phantom Detective the other day and will give it an official Very Good Video Game certificate. I enjoyed the puzzles, chcaracters and animations a lot. Not sure what to feel about the story towards the end, it felt a bit too convenient with everything falling in place.

One thing I would change is how much you have to repeat if you make a mistake. In a modern sequel, if one ever happens, I would prefer having a rewind button for freely going back to any earlier point in time.

1. Persona 5 Royal
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
13. Loopers
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
21. Super Mario RPG

22. Paper Mario (NSO)

I dropped this a month or so back when things got busy, but it only took a few hours to finish once I picked it back up. It's really cool coming back to Paper Mario after playing Super Mario RPG and seeing how similar they are. It also serves as a nice preview of what's coming next year when TTYD releases on switch.

The Nathan Drake Collection version. I'd never played any Uncharted before, but I have every game in the series and they've been in my backlog for a while. After playing the first game, I have mixed feelings. I liked the three main characters a lot, and the setting was really cool. I enjoyed the story. But the moment-to-moment gameplay was really not very much fun for most of the game. It's just gunfight after tedious gunfight, with the occasional platforming segment to break up the monotony. Those are awful, by the way; the platforming is downright bad. There were multiple times when I was stuck for minutes at a time, searching for the one ledge the game wanted you to grab to start the climbing sequence. I found myself saying, out loud, "This sucks. This sucks. God this sucks." quite a bit more than I would hope. The shooting is fun, but there's just so much of it. I know I'm not saying anything new here, but it's ridiculous how many people you kill over the course of this game. It's endless. There was a moment during a cutscene where Nate said something like "This is getting old." and I'm like, you're right, Nate! This is getting old.

Happily, things took a turn for the better in the last act of the game (when the monsters appear). Uncharted changed from a boring cover shooter to being a bit of a horror game, and that was a welcome change of pace. From then on to the end, I found myself having fun and feeling excited to see how the story was going to play out.

If the whole game could have been like the final act, maybe my opinion would be different. But as it stands, this feels like a solid 6/10 for me. I've seen people say that the second game is much better than the first one. Here's hoping! I won't be jumping straight into it though - I feel like I need a bit of a break before playing any more Uncharted.
Same feelings when I first played, but stick with it!
The second game is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better, in basically every regard (And imo the rest of the series keeps getting better from there), especially the moment to moment gameplay

About as big as the jump from Assassins Creed 1 to 2, or Kingdom Hearts 1 to 2 for comparision.

50. Eigengrau [ NS ]

What a wonderful game, the idea is basically a shoot em up split into small levels where it throws a different mechanic in each level, these mechanical changes either change your traversal in the stage, the enemy behavior or their bullets, like having to traverse stages with panels that shift your orientation or gravity, some gimmicks can even get a second twist within them, and the game constantly makes you engage with them since a lot of the times you will be locked into a segment of the level until you clear the enemies, or traverse whatever gimmick the game throws in the moment. The game is segmented into areas that have 5 levels and then it ends in a boss fight, the bosses are a great highlight of Eigengrau, not only they are good as shoot em up bosses but they apply every mechanic found through that area across its various phases, adding an extra twist to its ideas by mixing them up and changing their context to a boss fight. I only mentioned a handful of examples since it's definitely the kind of game which is better going in as blind as possible.

Besides getting a high score, there are also extra objectives in each stage, these range from fine sequences where one shoots specific enemies to annoying blink and you miss them things you have to shoot, which feels like you need to predict where something is going to pop up to be able to get them.

The music is great as well. Also wasn't a big fan of the visual presentation, feels a tad too simplistic without much charm to it or the ship designs, but at least everything is pretty clear visually, which is one of the most important aspects of games in this genre.

Last edited:
Just Finished AI:Somnium Files and the game actually gripped me more than I thought as I got it on a deep sale last year while the twists could be predicted how the twists came into their own was great and honestly makes me want to give the zero escape games a shot.

1. Death's Door
  2. Kirby's Dreamland
  3. Super Mario Land 2
  4. WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgames
  5. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
  6. Metroid Prime: Remastered
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe
  9. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  10. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon
  12. Pikmin 1
  13. Pikmin 2
  14. Pikmin 4
  15. Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  16. Astro’s Playroom

17. Jackbox Party Pack 10 (PS5) - Yeah, it is a stretch to include this, but this is how I track my year in gaming! I have fallen off these due to diminishing returns but in the absence of any visitors for Thanksgiving I thought it would be fun to play this with a couple of friends online. This year’s offering is…well, a lot like the others: 1 returning crowd pleaser, 1 inventive trivia game that your friends will hate because it isn’t a silly fun time, 1 game that seems like it wasn’t play tested much, 1 game that seems novel for the medium but probably won’t get much replay, and one last game that shows potential but will take a few playthroughs for everyone to comprehend. The winner for me this time is Timejinx, the aforementioned trivia game in which players input years as answers to trivia questions with the goal of being closer to the answer than others. It is a little long in the tooth but I was engaged throughout, especially as some of the gimmicks brought my friends closer to my score. On the other hand, FixyText felt really poorly thought out. In that game, you and your friends edit text messages as if they are shared Google Docs. There is so little structure that players basically just wing it, with the only humor coming from making the text-to-speech robot recite insane drivel.

Overall, I laughed a lot and had a good time with friends. I will probably load this up again for some rounds of TeeKO 2 and TimeJinx while ignoring most of the rest of the games on offer.

1. Persona 5 Royal
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
13. Loopers
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Paper Mario

23. Contra (NES Version)

The Contra Collection is on sale for $4 on the eShop, so I figured why not? There is no chance I would have bothered with this if it didn't have the quick save & load feature. I just don't have any patience for game overs that send you all the way back to the beginning. Even with saving and loading, I had to try again MANY times.

It's a 2D game, but it's neat how some levels have you face forward instead of the sidescrolling. I played solo, but it's cool that it has the option for co-op. I'm sure a lot of people had fun with that back in the NES days.

I remember they announced a new Contra made by Wayforward in a recent direct, so I will definitely keep an eye out for that one. I'm excited to see the same type of game, but with modern QoL features.

Super Mario RPG, no longer Legend of the Seven Stars: 11/10, I wrote a review in the Mario RPG star thread if you want a really in depth analysis. Long story short though, this is my most wanted game of all time and honestly the announcement trailer alone cemented this as my GOTY

104. Like a Dragon Gaiden

Somewhere around Yakuza 0 the series crossed an invisible line into being really good. The only exception to this is Yakuza 6, a stumble that the developers now try to correct. Can't say I blame them, as Kazuma Kiryu's ending was lacking in many regards, and Gaiden does show that Kiryu can still provide an entertaining and unique story.

The story is likely the best part of this game, as developers are fully committing themselves to writing memorable characters and moments without going too much into incomprehensible conspiracies that we saw during Yakuzas 3-5, where you could barely remember what was happening even as you played the game.

Gaiden might be a shorter entry, but it creates some really memorable scenes and characters. However, as it was originally planned as DLC for Yakuza 7, there's a very clear focus on combat that gets stale after some time.

It seems developers wanted to give something to players who disliked turn-based system of 7 and instead forced way too much combat into this title, as most of the side content is now based on you beating people. Yes, even moreso than previous entries.

Quite a few sudestories see you venturing out only to beat up a few groups of hooligans or a mini-boss and I believe there are about 5 actual side "stories" in this game, which is a frustratingly tiny amount.

Doesn't help that the biggest side attraction in this game is a coliseum. It has a lot of options this time around, but it's still more combat. There are usual minigames, but if you want to unwind and do something more productive, your biggest choices are beating people and beating people but with a twist.
Combat in this game is fine and often funny, with Agent style providing a lot of comedy as Kiryu can now do some insanely cartoony tricks. It's always fun to look at, and after a while I completely stopped using the classic "Yakuza" combat style in favor of James Bond Kiruy.

Exploration received a new feature thanks to this style, too. Now you can grab items from far away which means many items can be placed on roofs and around neon signs, which is a really, really smart decision. Yakuza's virtual tourism was often undercut by you looking at the ground to find various shinies, but now the game rewards you for staring up at beautiful enviroments, too. And I'm sure a few real-life advertisers are happy about it. If this wasn't for this mechanic, I'm not sure I would've noticed big Uber Eats logo, but thanks to my spider gadget I'm now aware of the Brand.

Gaiden is one of the better Yakuza titles, but even with its short 20-25 hour playtime (provided you want to experience a lot or even 100% it) it does become stale. Aside from combat the biggest attractions are the returning Pocket Circuit and an incredibly uncanny hostess minigame that's now even more awkward to play! Unfortunately, though, both of them don't have much story to tell unlike some hostess chats or Pocket Circuits of 0 and Kiwami 1.

That said, it's still a Yakuza game. It still provides one of the better open worlds out there and manages to keep you hooked. I've recently played some open-world games that I called "checklist games", and while this game is possibly the very meaning of that (with you completing actual checklist of substories and in-game achievements for your new friend and receiving points for everything done) it's the variety that helps it. I've spent an hour playing poker and had my fun with golf and karaoke. I've enjoyed completing challenges for pool which otherwise I wouldn't even touch. Even if they are returning mechanics, it's still wonderful to see a game that offers you so much to do off the main path since so many others just plop you onto a much bigger map and leave you with samey quests and collectibles to find. Even if Gaiden has very few actual meaty quests, I feel like they're a hundred times more memorable than nearly anything I've encountered in other games in part thanks to punchy and witty writing.

Before this game, I wasn't sure if I wanted to see Kiryu return, but it convinced me that maybe this old man who only seems to get dumber with time does deserve a better exit.
Second game in a row to make me cry. Good stuff.

Just finished Resident Evil Village and its DLC campaign Shadows of Rose (which I'm counting separately for consistency).

Thought Village was just okay. As a continuation to RE7 it's a pretty major departure from the slow, measured and claustrophobic stye of its predecessor. I've seen people compare it to the jump from RE1 to RE4 and while I can see the logic, I think RE8 doesn't pull off the move to more action as effectively (ignoring the fact that there were a few more entries between RE1 and RE4). I will have to refresh my memory with a replay of RE7 but I also felt like it took away control from me way more often which I'm generally not a fan of. The biggest blemish is probably the final segment before the boss fight. I was very close to dropping the game at that point.

To its credit, it's pretty ambitious in the way it tries to blend various "styles" of Resident Evil and horror with the four lords. It gives the game a lot of variety and there's some real moments of greatness. But the downside is that it ends up feeling unfocused and a bit haphazard in its pacing. Jumping between the labyrinthine castle in the first part of the game to the all guns out blazing segments of the end game felt pretty jarring. Instead of having multiple different "mini RE's" I wish they had just focused on one.

Shadows of Rose is not much to write home about. It's a mini-campaign of 3h that largely reuses the main game's assets with one new mechanic and that's it. It serves as a bookend of sorts to this arc (unless they want to continue it in RE9) but largely feels superfluous. Maybe I'm just saying that because I didn't really care for the story here though.

1. Dark Souls III
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Dream Land
  17. The Room
  18. The Room Two
  20. Dredge
  21. Storyteller
  23. Nuclear Blaze
  24. The Room Three
  26. Spaceplan
  27. The Gardens Between
  28. Pikmin 4
  33. Judgment
  37. Drainus
  38. En Garde!
  40. Lunacid
  41. Resident Evil Village
  42. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose

6. Project Zero/Fatal Frame Mask of the Lunar Eclipse

It took more than a decade, but hey, I finally played the fourth installment of Project Zero. After playing the wonderful Crimson Butterfly on Wii, the okay-ish Maiden of Black Water, I can say that I appreciate MotLE and had fun, but I can not deny that I have some issues with the game.

There is a lot to enjoy; if you played videogames, in particular horror games during the PlayStation/PlayStation 2/Gamecube/Xbox era, MotLE feels like coming home. How the fudge can a horror game be considered as a sort of of homecoming, well, you know, there is something very enticing on how horror games like these were built during those days. The gameplay is tanky, the camera slightly janky during quick turns, but overall the atmosphere is phenomenal. That constant oppressing feeling, like someone watching you, makes for a tense walk around the facility you visit Ruka.

I think it's the best part about this fourth installment; the tension, the creepy sound effects and some ghostly appearances including creepy imagery of a ritual, the series knows how to creep you out. The location is spooky, there are some great ghost designs and fighting off the ghosts with the camera obscura still remains fun. I mean story wise it's fairly flat, with the two leading ladies having lost their memories and the cool detective guy doing his thing.

What kind of disappointed me, was how unsurprising the ghost encounters are. I mean, there are a few funny jump scares, but I feel that many of the encounters felt pretty controlled and predictable. With the tension being great, it was just waiting on the next encounter. Especially in the later chapters, they even became annoying due to how cramped certain rooms were and you couldn't really fight off the spirits. I also did not care for a certain sequence in the final battle.

Again, I like the game. But while I like the whole PS2 like horror era vibe this game has going, I can not deny that in it's current form and after five game within the same format, I believe that if Tecmo-Koei will release a new Project Zero game, they will need to reinvent itself; other horror games have done it, even the smaller ones. Conceptually Project Zero is a great horror game, but it need a shot in the arm if it has any hopes to turn it in a series with more frequent releases.

7/10
Haven't updated this in ages, but here we go;

7. The Legend of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom

An amazing game. I still want to return to it, but after 65 hours of exploring and a massive backlog I needed to pass Gannondorf. It was fantastic, even if its a Hyrule I know, it still was able to surprise me. Loved it.

9.5/10

8. Like a Dragon: Ishin!

It took me a long time to get into this game; I really dig the setting and the story, but the fighting styles were a bit... off I guess? I got used to them, but I think Ishin! had a bit of old Yakuza in it, which made it feel stiff. Still, the game had a lot of cool moments. Not my favourite, still fun!

7.5/10

9. Like a Dragon Gaiden: The man who erased his name

Mentioned in the topic; did we need a new Kiryu game? His name is Jory- SHUT UP. Not really. Was it a great farewell tour of his greatest adventures? Absolutely. While the story is a bit thin, the combat, the missions, the arena are fun as heck. And the final part of the story... I'm not crying, you are crying.

8/10

Finished in 2023 #19: Sonic Superstars (Nintendo Switch)

I wanted to love this one so badly. The physics are spot on. We have lots of good level design here. We have multiple fun playable characters. Finally! A 2D Sonic game with fully original levels again! This is exactly what I was asking for, right?

...but the game makes a lot of missteps. The reward system all revolves around the online multiplayer which is not good. The music has a lot of highs but is kind of uneven. The back half relies a little too much on annoying gimmicks and instant death traps. And the bosses, especially in the back half, are overly long and very frustrating. The final boss(es) are some of the most frustrating I've experienced in a long time, so reliant on time wasting and instant death.

Perhaps this one is better in multiplayer. Maybe it's worse! I don't know. I don't think I'll be replaying this one as readily as I have a game like 3K or Mania.

1. Persona 5 Royal
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
13. Loopers
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Paper Mario
23. Contra

24. Super Contra

Continuing my run from yesterday! After playing the first game, Super Contra is basically just more of the same with a few new things here and there. Nothing much to add besides that. It's been nice to get through some short games in quick bursts this weekend!

Super Mario RPG

What a magic little game. I had never played it before, but when I saw the announcement trailer, everything just hit. The artstyle, the atmosphere, the vibes, all immaculate, and it became my most anticipated game of the year. Happy to say the actual game delivered on all hype. I love the huge amount of locations, I love the fun quirks and how there's zero time wasted, everything has a purpose and consistently quality from start to finish.

This game really brought me back to another era. It feels like a Mario game that can stand on it's own next to stuff like Mario 64 and Super Mario World, This game took everything I love about Mario and just made it an RPG. Perfect all around, though I did get spoiled on Culex, so I was going in expecting this awesome twist where this Final Fantasy style villian would swoop in to be the final boss and have this epic showdown, so I was a little dissapointed when it was "just" a secret boss with Smithy as the real endgame.

But yeah, while I dont think it quite reaches the highs of Earthbound or Chrono Trigger, I think it's a perfect little game that I can see myself revisiting many times in the future. Oh man, if we were to get Earthbound remade in this style or have Pokemon remakes with this level of care, I would be over the moon

Side note: I spent years hearing people wail about Geno for Smash, I expected this character to be a revelation, and icon, a show stopper! And he was....fine? Like he's cool, I like him, but definetly belongs in "Assist Trophy" tier. For the next Smash gme, I almost hope Sakurai goes with Mallow as a character, just to see the chaos it would bring lol

10/10

1) Pokemon Scarlet, January 21st
Great new Pokémon, my favourite Pokémon game since X and Y by far. Despite really liking the characters, Pokémon and overall game design I realize I only have so many AI Pokémon fights left in me. Good thing the trainers are more optional than ever.

2) Dragon Quest Treasures, January 28th
This game is perfect for people who have my kind of brain and are huge Dragon Quest fans like I am. The gameplay loop is short and repeats a LOT. But finding another iconic piece of treasure with one of your favourite characters, weapons, or monsters from the serious feels great. Combat is not deep but enjoyable and I always love having monsters at partners. I will come back to this game and get some treasures for years to come.
3) Kirby's Dreamland, February 11th
Short and sweet, it's pure Kirby.

4) Cave Story+, July 13th
One of the OG Indies that I have owned for 10+ years now and never really played because I dislike playing on PC. The exact reason I bought a Steam Deck. Solid throughout, this game feels just right.

5) Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, July 17th
Aria is one of my favourite games and I loved its sequel as well. The character art, writing, and immense grinding thanks to a broken luck stat makes me like it less than its predecessor. Everything else, it pretty much nails.

6) Castlevania Portrait of Ruin, August 11th

Did not know this game's gimmick before I played and was pleasently surprised. Again, not a huge fan of the character portraits and characters themselves but loved the change of pace. Controlling two characters with different abilities feels great in a Castlevania game.
7) Final Fantasy VII, November 19th

Will probably write something longer in the future. For now: The world, cast, and music are all among my favourites ever. This games ability to be everything while being something so specific is remarkable.

8) Storyteller, November 20th

Exactly what I wanted. Some of the puzzles had me stumped for longer than I'd like to admit, but most take a couple of minutes maximum. Great game that reminds me of one Professor Layton minigame, but still manages to be unique among any other game I've ever played.
9) Super Mario Bros. Wonder, November 22nd

Pure joy. Only have a few points of criticism, which all pale in comparison to the fun I had. Biggest flaw is that I just want more. I give this game the highest honor I can think of: it is as good as Mario.

Will update with short thoughts on each game later
Updated my post now, these are not well thought out because I'm typing them on my phone, standing in a full train. I will try to better my writing for my next posts.

Just Finished AI:Somnium Files and the game actually gripped me more than I thought as I got it on a deep sale last year while the twists could be predicted how the twists came into their own was great and honestly makes me want to give the zero escape games a shot.
IMO the Zero Escape games are better in almost every way so I def. recommend them if you liked AI.

This will inevitably come off as somewhat uncharitable to its sequel but I replayed Resident Evil 7 and it felt almost like a cleanse. It's leaner, more focused and more tense than most of Village and better for it. It tends to run into similar issues towards the end but I vastly prefer the more methodical approach it takes for most of the playtime. The Bakers are also endlessly more entertaining as villains than everyone else in RE8. The only things I'm more critical of are the aforementioned last stretch with the lore dump and the lacking enemy variety. Otherwise it's great though.

I've been contemplating finally playing the DLC stuff but I'm not sure about it.

edit: Ended up playing both Not A Hero and End of Zoe after all but I'll count them both as one. First time playing these and they were fun, not special. Both feel a little bit unnecessary, filling out gaps that I thought didn't need filling but they differentiated themselves enough from the maingame to not just feel like retreads. Especially EoZ was funny with all the punching, ridiculous in the best way. I wouldn't say anyone is missing out on anything by skipping them but if you already have the Gold version might as well check them out.

1. Dark Souls III
  5. Donkey Kong Country
  7. Metroid Fusion
  8. Kirby's Dream Land
  17. The Room
  18. The Room Two
  20. Dredge
  21. Storyteller
  23. Nuclear Blaze
  24. The Room Three
  26. Spaceplan
  27. The Gardens Between
  28. Pikmin 4
  33. Judgment
  37. Drainus
  38. En Garde!
  40. Lunacid
  41. Resident Evil Village
  42. Resident Evil Village: Shadows of Rose
  43. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  44. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero + End of Zoe

Last edited:
  1. Katamari Damacy Reroll (NSW, 8.5/10)
  2. Animaniacs: The Great Edgar Hunt (GCN, 7/10)
  3. Pikmin 3 Deluxe (NSW, 10/10)
  4. Mario + Rapids: Sparks of Hope (NSW, 7.5/10)
  5. Pikmin 4 (NSW, 9.5/10)
  6. The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW, 10/10)
  7. Luigi's Mansion (3DS, 7.5/10)
  8. WarioWare Gold (3DS, 8/10)
  9. Mario's Picross (3DS VC, 7.5/10)
  10. Rhythm Heaven Megamix (3DS, 9.5/10)

11. We Love Katamari Reroll (NSW, 8.5/10) - This game is really something incredible and special. It takes everything that Katamari Damacy is and makes it better and more creative. I love the story elements in this one a lot! Unfortunately, I have to nitpick that the game is short (as is the original Reroll) and the performance was really bad on some of the levels for me. Specifically, the five additional levels added to this remake (the Royal Reverie levels), although very fun, had some of the worst lag I have seen on the Switch. I highly recommend picking this one up in some form, even if (and perhaps better if) on a non-Nintendo platform.

1. Persona 5 Royal
3. WarioWare (GBA NSO)
4. Fire Emblem Engage
5. Metroid Fusion (NSO)
6. Paranormasight
7. Trails to Azure
13. Loopers
15. Steins;Gate Elite
16. Pikmin 4
17. Eternights
18. Anonymous;Code
21. Super Mario RPG
22. Paper Mario
23. Contra
24. Super Contra

25. World End Syndrome

I've been on a roll recently! World End Syndrome is a VN game developed by Toybox and published by ArcSys. The latter was interesting to me, because I only know them from their fighting games. World End Syndrome has very good art and an intriguing story, but I think it suffers a bit by making you play 5 character routes. The last 2 start to ramp things up, but the first 3 feel a bit inconsequential now that I have finished the game. Also, there are anime tropes scattered throughout -- some worse than others -- but it seems like that's just going to happen more often than not in these types of games.

Another unfortunate thing is that unless you want to save and load a lot, you MUST use a guide to beat this game. At a certain point, you get "free time" where you have to choose where you go and who you hang out with, sort of like Persona 5. However, one small mistake can throw you off a certain path and send you to the bad ending. Playing with a guide was my choice, and it probably saved a lot of frustration, but at the same time it made me feel like things would have been easier if they just did one scripted story.

Despite those complaints, this game was a pleasant surprise. I think it tells a good story, and it would probably be my favorite VN I played this year if Paranormasight didn't already take that title. If you like these kinds of games and see it on sale like I did, I would definitely recommend it.

I need to make my list lol

Game Finished:

Master Detective Archive: RainCode

Ill give my full thoughts on the thread later in the week, since I need to get to the dlc. While I am not a fan of the Danganronpa franchise, I was hesitant to try this game, but I have no regrets. What a game, out of all the mystery games I've played recently, I would say its up there with its story, cast, production value, etc. One of the sleeper gems of this year for sure.

Its on sale on various sites (physically), I believe 30% off. I highly recommend it if you like mystery/detective type games, or even any of Kodaka' previous work, its a thrilling ride.

Updated list. Not in order because I don't remember when I finished some of these. I'm also not including games I have finished before but beat again this year.

Sonic Frontiers
Never Awake
Fire Emblem Engage
Kirby Deluxe
Gal Guardians
Legend of Zelda TotK
Pikmin 4
Cereza and fhe Lost Demon
Tales of Symphonia
Metroid Prime Remastered
Metroid Fusion
Zelda Oracle of Ages
Zelda Oracle of Seasons
Detective Pikachu Returns
Mario Wonder
Mario RPG
Super Mario Land 2
Sonic Superstars
Vampire Survivors. (I got the end credits so it's beaten)
Clockwork Aquario
A Highland Song

Last edited:
*Denotes Replay

1) Guardians of the Galaxy - Cloud Version (NSW)
2) Rise of the Third Power (NSW)
3) Haiku, the Robot (NSW)
4) Fire Emblem Engage (NSW)
5) The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA NSO)*
6) WareWare Inc. (GBA NSO)*
7) Panzer Dragoon Remake (NSW)*
8) Final Fantasy IX (NSW)*
9) UnMetal (NSW)
10) Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope (NSW)
11) Octopath Traveler 2 (NSW)
12) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (NSW)
13) Citizen Sleeper : Purge (NSW)
14) Metroid Fusion (GBA NSO)*
15) The Red Strings Club (NSW)
16) Earthbound Beginnings (NES NSO)
17) Xenoblade Chronicles 3: Future Redeemed (NSW)
18) Dungeon Encounters (NSW)
19) The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (NSW)
20) Raptor Boyfriend: A High School Romance (NSW)
21) Picross S9 (NSW)
22) Persona 5 Royal (NSW)
23) Dragon Ball FighterZ (NSW - Game Trial NSO)
24) Brotato (NSW)
24) Voice of Cards: Beasts of Burden (NSW)
25) Unsighted (NSW)
26) Kirby’s Return to Dreamland Deluxe (NSW)
27) Mercenaries Lament : Requiem of the Silver Wolf (NSW)
28) Vampire Survivors (NSW)
29) Sea of Stars (NSW)
30) ABZÛ (NSW)
31) Steins;Gate Elite (NSW)
32) Dorfromantik (NSW)
33) Diabolic (NSW)
34) Road 96 (NSW)
35) Knight vs. Giant: The Broken Excalibur (NSW)
36) Dredge (NSW)
37) Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk and Milk outside of bag of milk outside a bag of milk (NSW)
38) Super Kiwi 64 (NSW)
39) Super Mario Wonder (NSW)
40) Signalis (NSW)
41) Diablo II: Resurrected (NSW)
42) Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth (NSW)

43) Pikmin 4 (NSW)

When the original Pikmin was announced I remember being pretty excited for it. I didn't like it and wrote the series off as one of those things that just isn't for me, to the extent that I completely ignored 2 & 3. When 4 was announced I initially viewed it as a hole in the release schedule that my wishlist would be all too happy to fill. Then it came out and the reviews and word of mouth were great. I decided I would check out the demo, and to my surprise I loved it. Finally got my hands on a copy and I think I love Pikmin now.

Having missed most of the series, I can't speak to what all has changed from entry to entry but the main thing I disliked about the original was the time limit. I like to goof around and explore and I don't feel like the original gave me much room to do that. Pikmin 4 solved that problem, while still having the option to really flex those dandori muscles. Oatchi is a great addition, and I was impressed by how well paced this game is. Each new area to explore filled me with anticipation, and I was never once bored. GotY candidate for me.

43)Super Mario rpg(remake)
Fun and delightful game. Not sure if I’m up for the postgame tho

Previous games:
1)Yoku’s island express
2)Live a Live
3)Arcade Paradise
4)The Great Ace Attorney Adventures
5)Immortal Fenyx rising
6) SD Gundam Battle Alliance
7)Nier Automata
8)Crimson Skies High road to revenge
9)Stacking
10)Conker Live and reloaded
11)Legend of Zelda the minish Cap
12)Ducktales remastered
13)Vostok Inc
14) Star Wars Battlefront(OG)
15)Kirby and the forgotten land
16) Xenoblade chronicles 3 Future Redeemed
17) Sonic Adventure(Xbox)
18)Rhapsody a Musical Adventure
19)Legend Of Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
20)The Great Ace Attorney 2 Resolve
21) Super Mario Advance(Super Mario Bros 2)
22)Lunistice
23)Ghost Trick(phone version)
24) Crusader of Centy
25)Cosmic Star Heroine
26) SMA2 SMW
27)SMA3 YI
28)SMA4 SMB3
29)SMB the Lost Levels(All Stars)
30)SMB(all Stars)
31) FFVIII
32) From Dust
33) Sonic Adventure 2
34) FEWTH
35)We Love katamari Reroll
36)Captain Toad treasure tracker
37) Super Mario Bros Wonder
38) Mario and Luigi Superstar saga
39)Nier Replicant(all routes)
40) Mario Party 3 (story mode)
41) Elevator Action Returns S-tribute
42) Pikmin

the main thing I disliked about the original was the time limit. I like to goof around and explore and I don't feel like the original gave me much room to do that. Pikmin 4 solved that problem, while still having the option to really flex those dandori muscles
Pretty much why I also adored Pikmin 4. I like optimization but let me do it when I want to!

As for me, I just closed out Mail Mole, which I talked about recently in other threads. In a lot of ways it’s a lot like Captain Toad or Snake Pass, where the levels are reminiscent of the usual 3D platformer stuff, but the core movement mechanics are not. Early on I’d mistime a jump simply because I’m so used to doing it at the press of a button. Cool stuff, I’d be interested in playing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom