• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Master Detective Archives: Rain Code |ST| Everybody 1-2 be a Ghost Detective

SirArthur

Kremling
Pronouns
He/Him
axOdmuF.png

Details​

Release Date: June 30th, 2023
Platforms: Nintendo Switch
Standard Edition: $59.99 (USD) Limited Edition: $109.99 (USD)
Publisher: Spike Chunsoft, Co. Ltd.
Developer: Spike Chunsoft x TooKyo Games
Genre: Adventure
Rating: Mature
Game File Size: 14.7 GB
Amount of players: 1
Voice Languages: Japanese, English
Supported Languages: Japanese, English, French, Italian, German, Spanish

Review Embargo: June 30th (some published their early)

Metacritic (77)
Opencritic (77)

Qj1MgLW.jpeg

WHAT IS THIS GAME ABOUT?​

tzG1pLK.png

f8TFEjC.png

Story

A brand new dark fantasy detective action game from the minds behind the Danganronpa series!
Yuma, an amnesiac detective-in-training, and Shinigami, the spirit haunting him, tackle unsolved mysteries! End the reign of mysteries in this lucid-noir detective adventure!

Kanai Ward, the city of rain, is gripped by innumerable unsolved mysteries.
Explore the city in a fully 3D environment and find Solution Keys that will help solve cases.

Investigate cases alongside Master Detectives:

Characters and Affiliations

World Detective Organization

An extra-legal, extra-privileged organization devoted to eradicating the world’s unsolved mysteries.
Their branches exist throughout the world, one of which is the Nocturnal Detective Agency in Kanai Ward.
The key players in their activities are Master Detectives who possess Forensic Fortes,
but ordinary detectives are also enlisted.
Those who do not possess a Forte are required to be highly adept across transferable skills in order to achieve certification.

MxXPcwQ.png

XgOC4Nc.png

3bwv7M4.png

FvqPcTm.png

bGM4MIk.png

MgNTJ4S.png

8ajYbvY.png

Ab1BXmZ.png

DVNmRPR.png

9l3OHHA.png

zaGJ3nU.png

H7H6PIh.png

0wflyhi.png

Amaterasu Corporation

It deals in a wide variety of goods such as industrial products, electronic appliances, and pharmaceuticals, all of which can be found across all aspects of daily life.
On the other hand, many dark rumors surround the company, leading to a saying among detectives: "Kick it and the dust comes off like a wall of smoke." Despite that, both the government and the World Detective Agency have been unable to intervene because of its great influence.
Kanai Ward is under the de facto control of Amaterasu Corporation, and its security department, the Peacekeepers, have taken on the role of the police.
Those who oppose Amaterasu are unjustly arrested, and cases it deems inconvenient are covered up.

4JH2dNV.png

PvcTkgb.png

Pxy4vUV.png
DoXHlyY.png
CfzRWFr.png
jftVYBq.png

OTHERS​

4jNCiIH.png

HaA7xwG.png

Gameplay Breakdown

AzCEHI8.png

ddomXZy.png

aqt0CPC.png
fBhls1J.png

Requests

GzDxxVW.png

Introduction Video

Welcome to the City of Perpetual Rain!

That's all for now. Hope everyone enjoys my first ST. Reviews scores will be posted as soon as they are available as well as art/dev information.

Last edited:
This looks great but I have too many games on the go right now to consider buying it just yet. Will get it eventually though.

Thank you for the ST! Great job.

I need to pre-order it but i have no clue when i'll start my playthrough.

Day 1 for me (hopefully it arrives tomorrow). From what I have read from reviews, some say it matches or maybe surpasses Danganronpa in terms over the top twists and turns and that's all I need lol.

Although I'm trying to find any handheld impressions. I'm assuming it's around 540p since it's on UE4.

Absolutely love that topic title xD

As a big fan of Danganronpa, this is on my watchlist but Ghosttrick takes priority :)

Wish I had the money for this. Going with Ghost Trick instead, I’ll catch this on sale eventually. Hopefully this is Kodaka’s Somnium Files.

If this is anything like Danganronpa or most other Japanese mystery VN's I am fully expecting a game: that treats its player like an idiot, endless repetition, flashbacks to scenes that happened 30 seconds ago, and excessive and improper use of the word "certain".

So suffice to say I am passing on this one.

High 70s isn't bad at all. Still a bit lower than the mid/low 80s Danganronpa usually scored. But then again, AI Somnium was also high 70s/low 80s and it was a fantastic game imo. I guess this is just a genre that doesn't mesh with everyone.

Edit: Danganronpa 2 and V3 are GOAT tier games for me and both are 81 on MC versus 79 here (with more reviews to come) so it's even less of an issue for me.

Apparently the season pass is going to be $16? Maybe I don't need to grab the deluxe edition while it's 11% off

I have the ce on preorder but it's been delayed a couple weeks. Sucks but I look forward to jumping in soon.

Reviews aren't amazing or anything, but it definitely seems interesting enough that I'll enjoy it. And most of the reviews I've seen seem to indicate that if you're a big fan of Danganronpa-style mystery games already then it's probably something you'll like, so I'm down.

Also great ST!

Excellent ST title lol

idk. I really liked the Danganronpa trilogy but I want to see a bunch of impressions from this thread before I decide to dive in. I wouldn't have time to play this until later in the year anyway

Great ST! This game looks right up my alley but man, I just won't have the time in the coming weeks.

Same here.
Just do like I'm going to do : buy the game, put it with the others waiting to be played, wonder why you spent money to watch then store a box.

I grabbed it, but I’m gonna do a Danganronpa series replay/V3 playthrough before I get to it I think.

Don't know if it's been said here already, but EU/NA got different review embargo times, so it's possible that there's still some reviews coming in during the day.

Who the heck thought it's a good idea to do this?

I have the game now, played about 20 minutes so here are my impressions:

It's Danganronpa as fuck and I mean it in a good way. Art, music and mystery is already top notch.

Voice acting in English seems good so far.

Major Cutscenes seems to be very sharp and detailed in handheld mode.

The game itself in handheld mode is clearly not native resolution however it is one of the best looking UE4 games. It looks cleaner/sharper than DQXI imo.

UI/menus and character portraits are crisp/native resolution and look fantastic. I would imagine they look really great on OLED since I don't have 1.

FPS wise, it's seem stable 30 for now but this is a Spike Chunsoft game, so I expect lots of frame drops lol.

So far, this is looking very promising.

Amazing job on the ST! I do have to say I love Zilch Alexander's character design with all the animals, legit made me laugh. I'm still knee deep into FFXVI at the moment but plan on getting this really soon regardless.

I'm also as excited to hear Masafumi Takada's music as I am anything, tbh. The guy is always consistent. Can't wait to hear some jazz, lounge music, a homage to some classical piece and some of the heaviest, most intense and craziest sounding EDM in video games.

Took like a half hour to find a physical copy that wasn't back ordered.

Does anyone have an idea of when I should read this novel that came with the game. Seems weird that it's a separate app on the switch menu and now a browser thing.

Was hoping to play some of this tonight but I really ran out of time. I only got as far as moving the character around lol. Very curious about the first choice you make.

I wonder if difficulty secretly actually does something or if that was indeed a complete joke lol. I picked troublesome, but now I’m reconsidering haha.

First case is complete. Yeeesh, it was certainly long lol.

Kinda curious where the story will lead to. Also...the minigames in this is somehow worse than the ones in Danganronpa 😶.

Kinda curious where the story will lead to. Also...the minigames in this is somehow worse than the ones in Danganronpa 😶.

This is...not reassuring.

Will probably pick it up anyway when it launches on steam, hopefully the story is good enough to carry the whole thing.

I am enjoying myself but that first case was for sure long and they talk soooooo much. I never played a game from this team so this is the first one, but this is definitely more of a slow burn compared to other games I have played recently :p.

Curious about the other cases. That said I think this could be one of the more beautiful games on the Nintendo Switch, I am quite impressed about the visuals.

Finished the prologue! Initial thoughts:

The game looks and sounds great. It has a real sense of style and flair, and SO much of that Danganronpa energy. The first case was a bit too long for how simple and repetitive it was, but I can see them really expanding things and using them better in more complicated cases later. Looking forward to it.

My main concern so far is that since the first labyrinth is just you exploring an alternate dimension alone it lacks that ‘back and forth’ and emotional connection to other characters you get in the trials in Danganronpa. This could obviously change later and time will tell but at least initially I’m slightly skeptical.

Overall though quite enjoying it!

I was thinking the investigation theme is disappointing until I finally heard the real investigation theme and it's jazz and Danganronpa as hell lol.

There's seems to be a lot of investigation for the second case.

So everyone is enjoying it? I have a freind that asked if they should buy the Collector's edition and i have no clue why they asked me as I know nothing about the game. It looks fun though. But yeah, worth buying? and if so is Collector's worth?

So everyone is enjoying it? I have a freind that asked if they should buy the Collector's edition and i have no clue why they asked me as I know nothing about the game. It looks fun though. But yeah, worth buying? and if so is Collector's worth?
So far the game seems to have many of the same pros as Danganronpa (super stylish, over-the-top action and nonsense, fun character designs, fantastic music and good mysteries) but a lot of the same cons, too (rather talky and overly verbose, dragging a bit in places, some eye-rolling fanservice). But again I'm only just starting Chapter 1 so I really can't speak to the whole game by any means yet

So far the game seems to have many of the same pros as Danganronpa (super stylish, over-the-top action and nonsense, fun character designs, fantastic music and good mysteries) but a lot of the same cons, too (rather talky and overly verbose, dragging a bit in places, some eye-rolling fanservice). But again I'm only just starting Chapter 1 so I really can't speak to the whole game by any means yet

I know they like Dangaropa, so ill relay this. Thanks!

Ended up getting this day one, got to most of the first maze. I liked the subversion of my expectation at the beginning of the case, but the maze feels unexciting so far. Kinda went overboard with the sillyness of trials but completely removed the character interactions... I heard it gets better in later cases, but right now I'm still not sure I love it lol.

That said, I wasn't able to play this weekend but I want to get back to it so that's a good sign :)

Back
Top Bottom