• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Master Detective Archives: Rain Code |ST| Everybody 1-2 be a Ghost Detective

Got it day one but didn't take the time to play it yet since I'm busy with both FF16 and Story of Seasons which both just released, but I'm glad to see it's full on Danganronpa, with the same pros and cons, because I love, love, love Danganronpa. I play the mini games on the easiest difficulty so they never bothered me.

Finished the investigation for Chapter 1 and stopped after entering the labyrinth. There are a lot of nice touches and extra things once you get past the prologue, and I’m really enjoying it and the flow of the game. The city has great atmosphere and the characters are fun, and that new investigation theme music is A+. There’s not a lot to go on yet what the overall plot is going to be, but I’m starting to get a feel for the structure, or at least have a rough guess.

I finally jumped in last night (not to much), but I tried the game in both languages, so far both are great (Ill stick with the english dub for now). I was using a headset and I stopped to listen to the music cause it was delightful, great vibes.

I think I might just play this game at night to go along with the neon night city vibe lol. Plus I still have to finish Ghost Trick.

I agree that the pace of the Prologue case is too slow and wordy, even if it introduces you all the different mechanics and the atmoshpere in a good way
game improve from chapter 1 onward, apparently (still on Chapter 1 here)

I agree that the pace of the Prologue case is too slow and wordy, even if it introduces you all the different mechanics and the atmoshpere in a good way
game improve from chapter 1 onward, apparently (still on Chapter 1 here)
The prologue suffers the most pacing wise even without the tutorial stuff because
the team at Spike Chunsoft couldn't help themselves. They seem to love "subverting expectations" by overly establishing all the Master Detectives who were just there to be fodder for the first killer. Of course anyone who's played any of their games should have instantly sniffed out the deception, which made that whole segment predictable and pointless.

Ehhh is there an issue with the availability of the physical copies in France ? Cause Amazon won't ship mine without explanation, and it seems to be out of stock at fnac...

Ehhh is there an issue with the availability of the physical copies in France ? Cause Amazon won't ship mine without explanation, and it seems to be out of stock at fnac...
I forgot that I did not preorder it and when I went to they were out of stock (US-PR). And all that's left is the delayed Limited Edition.

Finished Chapter 1, overall much better than the prologue. There’s a lot to like about this game but some of my initial concerns are still lingering, mostly regarding the characters and emotional connections, which are so far pretty lacking compared to Danganronpa. But it’s still fairly early on, and the game has its hooks in me enough that I definitely want to play the whole thing.

Well, i'm keeping to my word, i said if this hits mid to upper 70s metascores and i'm slightly interested in reading the impressions then i'm going to get it.

Just ordered it with my 50€ gift card that i had to use since it was about to expire.

Even if i end up not liking the game, i just paid 3€ for it ... so i can't complain.

Solved chapter 0 case before entering the labyrinth and I've got a good feeling I have pieced together the chapter 1 case as well as I'm about to enter it.

It's always so satisying to play well constructed mystery games where you can challenge yourself to solve the mystery before the characters do. It's like playing a meta game on top of the game itself. Hope the game manages to increase the difficulty while still remaining fair.

Solved chapter 0 case before entering the labyrinth and I've got a good feeling I have pieced together the chapter 1 case as well as I'm about to enter it.

It's always so satisying to play well constructed mystery games where you can challenge yourself to solve the mystery before the characters do. It's like playing a meta game on top of the game itself. Hope the game manages to increase the difficulty while still remaining fair.
Yeah, I’m interested to see if that remains true for the whole game or not. There were definitely cases in Danganronpa where you have almost zero chance of figuring it out before the trial due to missing information or character motives, but that doesn’t seem to be a thing here so far at least.

This is a game that imo gets better as it gets further in. Helps that the mysteries of Kanai Ward itself are far more compelling then DR's "why are we trapped in a survival game".

I'm in the Labyrinth for Chapter 2 now, and the game is definitely getting better and better. The Chapter 2 Investigation gimmick disguising yourself as other people is really interesting and fun. Although there's some potential for obnoxious comments and pervy dialogue given the entire 'sneaking into a girls' school' situation involved, but it wasn't as bad I thought it might be (although Desuhiko does kinda suck, as I expected). The game seems to be painting Yuma as a good solid guy who does not have time for Desuhiko and Shinigami's bullshit, though, which I appreciate.

Okay, random speculation time, based on absolutely nothing but general story structure:

I assume that the game is going to have at least 5 chapters, with each chapter 1-4 focusing on a different Master Detective and their forte. Then we'll get the usual Chapter 5 shakeup of some sort (Danganronpa style). I really hope that later on we get the ability to use all the fortes in the same case, that'd be really cool.

Just completed Chapter 4 Case 5.

...just wow.

I can safely say that each case got better and better. Although I will say that the culprits are extremely easy to find out before you solve it except Case 5.

The main mystery behind this case was such a wild ride until I hit a moment, read some solution keys and gasped and made a theory which turned out correct.

Maybe I'm a simple person but this case was also a emotional ride. I can safely say that Rain Code Case 5 is on the same level as Case 5 in other Danganronpa games.

I am hooked.

Just completed Chapter 4 Case 5.

...just wow.

I can safely say that each case got better and better. Although I will say that the culprits are extremely easy to find out before you solve it except Case 5.

The main mystery behind this case was such a wild ride until I hit a moment, read some solution keys and gasped and made a theory which turned out correct.

Maybe I'm a simple person but this case was also a emotional ride. I can safely say that Rain Code Case 5 is on the same level as Case 5 in other Danganronpa games.

I am hooked.
That's good to hear! I just finished Chapter 2 and it was pretty good as well. The culprit wasn't immediately obvious, although it did click with me fairly quickly once I got into the labyrinth.

That's good to hear! I just finished Chapter 2 and it was pretty good as well. The culprit wasn't immediately obvious, although it did click with me fairly quickly once I got into the labyrinth.
I will also say that at first, I wasn't a big fan of the labyrinth but now I have grown to like it a lot, slowly unraveling the mystery along with great soundtracks.

Case 5 is still playing in my mind. You're definitely in for a good ride.

Update: I have completed the game.

You know that feeling in your heart where you get really sad when you reach the ending, that music plays and knowing you have to say farewell? Yeah, I got the feels right now lol 🥲

The climax was genuinely amazing and anime as fuck. And to my surprise, there were several plot twists that made shout out WTF in a good way.

I can safely say that Rain Code is up there with Danganronpa.

Also, that massive tease at the very end, this game is 100% getting a sequel.

I'm so glad we are getting these games, I'm such a sucker for them. Now I need a Sequel to Rain Code, AI Somnuim Files 3 and Ace Attorney 7.

But yeah, it starts off really slow and weak but it gets better as you progress. It was an amazing journey to experience.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants a mystery story with great characters and overall story.

I will say though, the main criticism I have are the usual Spike Chunsoft horny things they do, bad QTEs and I mean out of nowhere without warning or much time to react bad QTEs lol. Furthermore, the lip sync for the English dub is REALLY bad, like worse than Xenoblade 2. It can be really jarring.

And finally, the game is rather framey at times in handheld but it didn't bother too much since this is a adventure novel game.

Overall, I immensely enjoy my time with this game.

Last edited:
Update: I have completed the game.

You know that feeling in your heart where you get really sad when you reach the ending, that music plays and knowing you have to say farewell? Yeah, I got the feels right now lol 🥲

The climax was genuinely amazing and anime as fuck. And to my surprise, there were several plot twists that made shout out WTF in a good way.

I can safely say that Rain Code is up there with Danganronpa.

Also, that massive tease at the very end, this game is 100% getting a sequel.

I'm so glad we are getting these games, I'm such a sucker for them. Now I need a Sequel to Rain Code, AI Somnuim Files 3 and Ace Attorney 7.

But yeah, it starts off really slow and weak but it gets better as you progress. It was an amazing journey to experience.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who wants a mystery story with great characters and overall story.

I will say though, the main criticism I have are the usual Spike Chunsoft horny things they do, bad QTEs and I mean out of nowhere without warning or much time to react bad QTEs lol. Furthermore, the lip sync for the English dub is REALLY bad, like worse than Xenoblade 2. It can be really jarring.

And finally, the game is rather framey at times in handheld but it didn't bother too much since this is a adventure novel game.

Overall, I immensely enjoy my time with this game.
I'm just starting Chapter 3 but I agree with most of this already, although the plot feels like it's just starting to get going. And while I wasn't sure about Yuma at the beginning, he is already growing on me a lot as a protag. I also think the setting is a big win, the rainy neon city is so perfect for this kind of game. And the music is great, naturally.

I finished Chapter 1. The game is pretty good so far. I think the pacing during the investigation parts is a bit slow, but it all pays off at the end of the chapter. Looking forward to playing more.

Chapter 3 down! It’s… a bit odd. Feels sort of out of place with the rest of the game so far, and a bit clumsier in execution:
There’s a lot of chaos and things that happen but it feels disjointed. They introduce this new resistance group suddenly, then immediately kill the leader? And then the investigation section is really short and full of bad QTEs. And the detective forte is pretty bad here, too. On top of that the actual mystery is very simple and the culprit the most obvious yet.
Overall it kind of feels like they wanted to introduce a bunch of new characters and do a lot of exposition, but they bolted a Case onto it and it didn’t quite work for me. Probably the weakest chapter yet, but I know there’s a lot of good stuff coming!

Chapter 5 was really insane. It's not without issues but it's a much better endgame than the DR games imo, the big twists are still crazy and over the top but not in way that is too esoteric and incomprehensible. It also feels like it's a proper culmination to multiple things and hints you have observed throughout the course of the whole game, making said twists feel a lot more earned.

4, 5 > 2 > 1 > 0 > 3

Chapter 5 was really insane. It's not without issues but it's a much better endgame than the DR games imo, the big twists are still crazy and over the top but not in way that is too esoteric and incomprehensible. It also feels like it's a proper culmination to multiple things and hints you have observed throughout the course of the whole game, making said twists feel a lot more earned.

4, 5 > 2 > 1 > 0 > 3

Yeah I agree mostly with this though 0 was just meh overall. The final chapter was really nice but my favorites were for sure 4 and 2. Overall a nice introduction into this genre :)

This game got me hooked now. I blazed through chapter 3 today and I'm a good bit into chapter 4. It's getting super good.

When are the collectors editions supposed to ship out. Amazon has been saying July 24th for mine for a long time now but wasn't sure if anyone else is seeing different.

Finished it finally! Overall I quite enjoyed it, although it didn’t quite match up to Danganronpa overall to me. Due to the structure and nature of it all, a lot of the emotional beats didn’t land as hard, and I found most of the mysteries to be a bit too easy to figure out. I also wished there was a bit more actual investigating to do, as it felt like other than chapter 1 and 2 the game seemed to want to speed through that part as quickly as possible (or skip it entirely).

But there are a lot of good ideas here even if I have a lot of quibbles, and it’s well set up for a sequel that could really improve on a lot of things! Looking forward to it.

(I do have to admit that the twist about the pink blood was very clever and exactly the kind of thing I’ve come to expect from this team, that was great)

Oh yeah i finished this a few days ago.

Mixed feelings on this, i didn't really like the minigames, the weird timed QTEs and the overabundance of fanservice.

I enjoyed the setting and i didn't expect a big hub/city, the cyberpunk ambiance was cool and the latter chapters were interesting.

Oh yeah i finished this a few days ago.

Mixed feelings on this, i didn't really like the minigames, the weird timed QTEs and the overabundance of fanservice.

I enjoyed the setting and i didn't expect a big hub/city, the cyberpunk ambiance was cool and the latter chapters were interesting.
The QTEs were pretty bad (especially in Chapter 3), and the minigames definitely felt a little underbaked in this one. Or at least, like there should have been more of them, there seemed to be only 2 main games compared to a lot more variety in the Danganronpa series.

As for fanservice... there was actually a lot less than I expected? It's almost 100% focused on Shinigami, and while there's a fair bit of visual fanservice with her, it's mostly all the same so once you've seen it once in Chapter 0 it kind of just blends into the background. At least it did for me. There's very little verbal/pervy dialogue, too, at least compared to recent games in this same vein that I've played (Danganronpa 3, AI 1 and 2). Could just be that I got used to it, but it actually seemed fairly toned down to me. I think Miu from Danganronpa 3 by herself was worse than this entire game (not that I don't think Shinigami could still have been toned down some).

I think I will finally jump into this after I finish Pikmin 4. This means putting off FFXVI a bit longer, but I was glued to my PS5 with Trails into Reverie, so I want to get some more time in with switch games.

I've been itching for a good mystery game this year after spending a bunch of time with the AI and Zero Escape games in 2022. This looks like it will be good for me.

Edit: I will probably have to go digital, haha. The only physical versions I'm finding are the special edition. While it looks cool, I'm not about to spend that much money on it.

They finally fixed my biggest issue, the NEW label on the glossary lol. That thing bothered me more than it should lol.

My collectors edition came in the other day so look forward to starting it soonish. Also the standard physical version seems to have gotten a reprint, saw that posted on sc's socials.

Yeah, I was finally able to order a physical copy of this game a couple days ago after it was completely sold out for a few weeks. It's arriving tonight, and since I just finished Trails into Reverie it's good timing for me.

so how good are ya'll finding this compared to like Danganronpa or Ace Attorney?

big VN/adventure fan here, just haven't been quite sold yet
I found it to be very satisfying. It definitely has weaker elements compared to Danganronpa and Ace Attorney but stands strong enough on its own.

It starts very slow and almost off putting. But it genuinely gets better the more you play due to more mysteries, new characters and world building that keeps getting introduced. You keep asking yourself so many questions that makes you invested in the story.

The cases themselves are rather weak until Case 5 which in usual Danganronpa fashion: really amazing and a emotional rollercoaster.

Gameplay can be a hit or miss. At first, I did not like the mystery labyrinth at all, I found it tedious. It eventually grew on me (not that much) but still requires massive improvements.

Overall, if you're a fan of adventure visual novels such as Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, AI Somnuim Files or Danganronpa, this is an easy recommendation. Just keep in mind about the weak gameplay elements but story should be satisfactory for fans of the games I mentioned above imo.

So I finished this game. That last chapter was quite a ride.

That moment when they showed the meat buns in the processing center... God. I was expecting corpses, but wasn't expecting that.

And then the blood thing. Coming off Danganronpa I didn't really think much of the pink blood, of course. I did notice at the beginning of the game that Yuma had red blood when he cut himself on the glass in Chapter 0, but the significance of it didn't register to me. But when they mentioned that the homunculi could be told apart by their blood, that was when I finally realized what was going on. Pretty much everything about the town clicked into place for me. Such a great twist.

There were a few slow parts, and some of the early cases were pretty easy to predict, but I still had a great time with this game. I think pretty much anyone who liked Danganronpa will like this game.

I started this game yesterday and am very close to the end of the first case, but it really keeps dragging on. It's also very... over the top at times? Like, I watch anime and have played many "anime" games before, so I should be accustomed to this, but some of the scenes (mainly with Shinigami) are pushing those limits even for me. I also turned off the rumble feature, haha. It just feels overused so far.

I will press on. I've read comments earlier in the thread saying that it picks up as you keep playing. The case itself is interesting, and I want to know how everything plays out, but I wish the process could have been a bit shorter.

I started this game yesterday and am very close to the end of the first case, but it really keeps dragging on. It's also very... over the top at times? Like, I watch anime and have played many "anime" games before, so I should be accustomed to this, but some of the scenes (mainly with Shinigami) are pushing those limits even for me. I also turned off the rumble feature, haha. It just feels overused so far.

I will press on. I've read comments earlier in the thread saying that it picks up as you keep playing. The case itself is interesting, and I want to know how everything plays out, but I wish the process could have been a bit shorter.
The first case is the worst and most dragged out, so it definitely improves. There's one more case later on that's also not that great, but overall the game gets much better once you're past the intro. As for Shinigami... that'll stay about the same the whole time, but it's mostly focused on her, and a lot of the same scenes are used repeatedly. So you can kind of just zone out or gloss over them.

[1.3.2]

• Added "SKIP" functionality for "Deduction Denouement"
  • Minor text/audio fixes
  • Adjusted certain maps and characters
  • Adjusted certain events
  • Minor bug fixes
*The latest patch is required for DLC

New patch out.

When I first got Rain Code 2+ months ago I got as far as moving the main character an inch, before realizing I was too tired to enjoy it that day. After clearing out the other high priority games I was juggling and two that slipped in, I’m finally here ready to play this! Yesterday I got out of the first room and realized wait I should read the preorder novel first which was quite rad and got me pumped for the journey ahead. I played through most of chapter 0 yesterday and I came back today to wrap that and the prologue up so I just saw the opening movie finally.

I’m really excited to finally dive into this though I did find chapter 0 a bit of a drag as the tutorial murder mystery. I kind of guessed how it largely worked from the start as a Danganronpa / murder mystery game veteran. Like they wouldn’t give us a train route map without the cars swapping for example. I’m happy to see bad minigames returning right off the bat including a Hangman’s Gambit equivalent and making a comic book at the end (just like the PROZD video who incidentally I’m glad to see in this game lol). The minecart one is my favorite of the bunch so far.

Anyway I’m barely getting started so I’m excited to see where this game will go. I haven’t heard really anyone talk about this game so I’m really excited to go in virtually unspoiled.

Been quite some time since I last posted. Rain Code has been my primary game these past two weeks (despite now juggling three others and soon a fourth), but I had just been so busy I hadn’t made much progress. Thankfully the last two days especially I’ve both had more time to play games and I’m now pretty invested which has kept me more engaged. I finished the Mystery Labryinth for Chapter 2 at the start of today and just reached Chapter 3’s so I’m guessing I’m more than halfway through the game at this point.

I actually had some big trouble with Rain Code early on that actually made me wonder if I was going to have to drop the game. This is only a problem in the open world sections where the camera is just right up against Yuma and there’s no way to adjust it which was making me feel quite sick when playing. I only recall having a similar problem before playing one of the Batman Arkham games (I forget which one) where he would sometimes dominate too much of the screen. I don’t remember what I did for Batman (I think I just powered through?), but thankfully here I’ve learned to just look past Yuma since he is so small and thin which has helped keep me going.

And I’m glad I have! There’s a lot of fun characters to get to know like Halara and Vivia even if a few like Shinigami sadly can get repetitive with their worst gimmicks. The script has plenty of good jokes too and some fun reference jokes (an Ace Attorney stepladder joke and a Dragon Ball loading screen joke in chapter 2 were two of my favs) and the world has plenty of interesting quirks that make me want to explore Kanai Ward and uncover its mysteries. Also speaking of characters, the face game for the character portraits is excellent. Shinigami in her ghost form especially just has so many amazing faces its incredible lol.

The murder mysteries have definitely been getting more exciting since the prologue. The locked room mysteries of chapter 1 were satisfying to solve and link together, the fun investigation and ultimate solution of chapter 2 kept me guessing, and now a crime I’m not quite sure what’s going on with in chapter 3 even as I enter the labyrinth. There’s definitely moments here when I can guess what’s going on broadly quickly, but some of the red herrings have been effective and kept these cases interesting. Now that I’m out of the onslaught of tutorials too, the game is flowing a lot better.

Anyway yeah, I will be juggling another game soon, Boundless Trails, since I’m hosting my last planned ST for the year on it this week, but I’m eager to keep focusing mostly on Rain Code to see it through. The chapter 2 to 3 transition especially really has me hooked now.

Has anyone tried the dlc? What do they play like? Are they worth going back to Raincode for?

Been quite some time since I last posted. Rain Code has been my primary game these past two weeks (despite now juggling three others and soon a fourth), but I had just been so busy I hadn’t made much progress. Thankfully the last two days especially I’ve both had more time to play games and I’m now pretty invested which has kept me more engaged. I finished the Mystery Labryinth for Chapter 2 at the start of today and just reached Chapter 3’s so I’m guessing I’m more than halfway through the game at this point.

I actually had some big trouble with Rain Code early on that actually made me wonder if I was going to have to drop the game. This is only a problem in the open world sections where the camera is just right up against Yuma and there’s no way to adjust it which was making me feel quite sick when playing. I only recall having a similar problem before playing one of the Batman Arkham games (I forget which one) where he would sometimes dominate too much of the screen. I don’t remember what I did for Batman (I think I just powered through?), but thankfully here I’ve learned to just look past Yuma since he is so small and thin which has helped keep me going.

And I’m glad I have! There’s a lot of fun characters to get to know like Halara and Vivia even if a few like Shinigami sadly can get repetitive with their worst gimmicks. The script has plenty of good jokes too and some fun reference jokes (an Ace Attorney stepladder joke and a Dragon Ball loading screen joke in chapter 2 were two of my favs) and the world has plenty of interesting quirks that make me want to explore Kanai Ward and uncover its mysteries. Also speaking of characters, the face game for the character portraits is excellent. Shinigami in her ghost form especially just has so many amazing faces its incredible lol.

The murder mysteries have definitely been getting more exciting since the prologue. The locked room mysteries of chapter 1 were satisfying to solve and link together, the fun investigation and ultimate solution of chapter 2 kept me guessing, and now a crime I’m not quite sure what’s going on with in chapter 3 even as I enter the labyrinth. There’s definitely moments here when I can guess what’s going on broadly quickly, but some of the red herrings have been effective and kept these cases interesting. Now that I’m out of the onslaught of tutorials too, the game is flowing a lot better.

Anyway yeah, I will be juggling another game soon, Boundless Trails, since I’m hosting my last planned ST for the year on it this week, but I’m eager to keep focusing mostly on Rain Code to see it through. The chapter 2 to 3 transition especially really has me hooked now.

Chapter 3 is so damn good. And Chapter 4 is even better, imo. This game really goes places.

Back
Top Bottom