• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Post-Sora Poll #1: Who are Your Most Wanted Characters for the Next Smash?

Who do the people demand?

• Leif (Fire Emblem), the perfect Byleth echo

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Anna (Fire Emblem), the second perfect Byleth echo

Votes: 14 41.2%
  • Sigurd (Fire Emblem), the perfect Ike echo

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Arvis (Fire Emblem), the perfect Robin echo

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Max (Shining Force), to be a Shining friend for all the Fire Emblem characters, it'll be so cool

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

batfax

Pofuilly Slime
Doing a favor for Scrappy-Fan92, who wanted to try to do a Smash poll to gauge the interest of what Smash fans are still hungry for now that Ultimate's wrapped up. Hopefully that's alright. They're still validating or whatever, but they wanted to have the threads where they're posting release close together to get the best idea of what everyone's feeling now. Below's a general copy+paste, minus the links to threads on the other forum I grabbed it from. They'll pick up later threads on their own whenever they can do that here.

-----

Hello, everyone. We are now a whopping three years one month since Sora's Challenger Pack for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was dropped, concluding Fighters Pass Vol. 2 and Ultimate's DLC character run as a whole. With that in mind, I'd like to get a snapshot of where the fandom (or at least our corner) is at this moment in time and have plans for a multi-pronged poll. First up is a most wanted poll, where we can try (and fail) to gauge who people want for the next Smash game, whenever and however it comes. The thread will be closed for vote tallying on Dec. 23rd of this year before the end of the day.

Rules & Guidelines

1. I'll be taking cues from Source Gaming's 2020 Mega Smash Poll for structural purposes.
  2. Any member of Era Famiboards can participate, they just need to post in this thread.
  3. You can list up to six (6) characters of your choice. The order that they're listed in is irrelevant, a vote for each will be worth one point. Please include the IP the character hails from as well. Assume all characters from Ultimate are safely returning.
  4. One vote per character, and if you list more than six separate votes, I'll take the first six listed.
  5. Conversely, one character per vote. If you Person A as the default and Person B as an alt skin, please specify. Person A will receive the entire vote in most situations.
  6. This is the most wanted character poll, not the most likely character poll, so give me your unvarnished desires.
  7. And please try to give a specific character want, not "someone from Zelda" or "a Western character." Both are valid choices, but I would like to get some names written down.
  8. If you want to change one or more of your votes before the deadline, that's fine. Just please notify me when you do it in a separate post, specifying who was replaced with who.

Last edited:
"Any member of era can participate"

šŸ˜‚.

Wonder if Waluigi will win here, despite being apparently so low in priority on the previous poll that a generic piranha plant was a more appealing choice

I did say I copy+pasted it from Scrap, never said anything about proofreading =P

But yeah, I can just... adjust that a little.

First: this is me taking the joke poll seriously, but I believe that if we got another Fire Emblem character (separate from the hard-lock of whoever is the most recent Lord/Avatar character from a future game), I think it would be Tiki for sure given her importance throughout the franchise and what she could bring to the table that's unique.

Next: it's a bit interesting and quite frankly a little hard to predict who will be in the next Smash game right now. I'm thinking that the next installment won't even enter pre-production for at least 2/3 more years if not longer. That's a lot of time, so many characters will be born/created in that timeframe, so many characters will see a rise and fall in relevance by then. But, if I think about specific wants as of right now, this is what I'm thinking:

• Ayumi - To get finally play Famicom Detective Club this year and meet Ayumi, and to remember her trophy in Melee and that Sakurai had briefly considered her, was just wild. Mages being interesting in doing more games in the series is great news, it's always good to see a Nintendo deep cut getting a new breath of life. And if they do come to fruition, I genuinely think Ayumi has a good chance. It would be extremely funny to see a normal girl like her in Smash and wonder what on earth her gameplay gimmick would be. We can never get enough deep-cuts and she's a pitch perfect choice for one.
  • Dixie Kong - It's such a shame that the Wii's technical limitation and time is what cut Dixie from being in a pair with Diddy and not having her be revisited. She is maybe the one absence in Ultimate's roster that is felt. If we get a new Donkey Kong game in the next few years and she is playable, and if she can make her console debut in the next Mario Kart or get a role in Super Nintendo World or the Seth Rogen Donkey Kong movies, I think she's set to finally make her debut. I have to wonder if she'd be by herself or would the tag-team gimmick get revived and who she could be stuck with. Kiddy? Tiny? Cranky?
  • Twintelle - There are really only so many "reasons"/excuses one can give (from Twintelle being one of the only Arms characters not fighting with their actual arms and thus not being a good first representation of the franchise, to the Splatfest-like in-game tournament where Min Min beat her in the semifinals and ended up winning with Ninjara coming in 2nd place) until you've exhausted them all and get to the bottom line and Twintelle probably should've been chosen and that Nintendo of America should made an attempt to step in. It's a sad fact that not including Pokemon and Fire Emblem which have kinda always been ahead of the curve, it really hasn't been until the Wii U era where Nintendo started to address and rectify it's representation issues. It is my hope that because the break until the next installment will be long, that any new potential Black/POC/LGBT characters in Nintendo games simply haven't been born or debuted yet, and that the next few years will be fruitful with representation with new characters we all love. But at the bare minimum, I think Twintelle as well as Rodin should be given spots next game simply because they're really all Nintendo has on a big scale so far, and of course it helps that they're fantastic designs and immediately appealing.
  • Ring Fit Adventure - The game was a smash hit, and I'm not sure anyone and even Nintendo expected it to be so. It's such a genius game, and the character's design is so simple but effective. Not only are they a good fit for Smash, but you can easily imagine a moveset and trailer featuring Wii Fit Trainer. It's a bit of a shame that they kinda came too early for Smash, another case of bad timing. But there isn't a doubt in my mind that they're next for the roster in some years time. To piggyback off of the representation issue, one small thing I think they could do is do what Pokemon does and give all of the avatar characters (Pokemon Trainer, Inkling, Villager) 4 different and distinct skin tones. It's small, but it's another bare minimum step that would be appreciated.
  • Zagreus - He's a personal want for me. His design is extremely striking, he is the reason I decided to purchase the game. Lucky me that the game itself was of equal quality, I don't think there is a single aspect of Hades that I don't like. I firmly believe that if Smash ever got it's first indie character, it would either be Shovel Knight or someone from Undertale (for a little while, I considered the absence of Undertale spirits very suspicious), but I think Zagreus is such a perfect fit for the series. So easy to imagine a cool moveset and gimmick, beautiful stage, music, and especially a trailer. I can see it now: animated in the vein of the first trailer, he receives Palutena's boon and it's another trailer of her and Pit's commentary and banter with Zag! And it will always be an added bonus to see a canon queer male, I'll always take what I can get there.
  • Bomberman - I agree with the sentiment that if any 3rd-party is deserving of a playable debut (and if any Assist Trophy deserves an upgrade), it's Bomberman. The love he got with that Mii Costume alone tells me how Sakurai views his importance. Super Bomberman R really rekinkled my love for him and I'm sure it did so many others, and I do feel he is equally iconic as the rest of the current 3rd-Party cast. A Bomberman stage alone would be worth it and hit a nostalgia nerve like Pac-Man's 3DS stage did. Konami was surprisingly giving with Ultimate, so I hope their continue the relationship with that comes next. It wouldn't be surprising to see Bomberman and Alucard turn playable next game in all honesty.

Some honorable mentions I'd include are the Chorus Kids or anyone from Rhythm Heaven, Travis Touchdown, Elma, Tom Nook, and Nahobino. There are too many to choose from really, and again I believe that a large number of new characters next game haven't been created yet. It'll be very interesting to see how the next few years play out. We'll always be in for some shockers, but I also know it will be immediately apparent when we see a new character that they have a spot waiting and polished just for them.

Last edited:
I still wish for Isaac, although that ship sailed some time ago: Golden Sun is dead (or at best, dormant), he'll probably stay an assist trophy, and people will not be very positive on the idea of another anime swordsman, even if Isaac could be a sword/magic hybric character (he wouldn't be the first one, but that niche is not so oversaturated).

So, which character do I think would be cool, fun to play, and a somewhat realistic proposal for Smash...? Probably Waluigi.

Six characters is so limiting! I guess if we have to include the "I'll have to will this into existence because it won't happen otherwise, but damn if they aren't my most wanted" choices my top six would look like:

Iroha Tamaki (Magia Record)
Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky)
Goku (DRAGON BALL!!! SAKURAI WILL CAVE TO THE DEMAND ONE DAY!!!!)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Andy (Advance Wars)
Elma (Xenoblade X)

So yeah the top three I really don't expect in Smash 6 or Ultimate Special at all, but they are my most wanted as the poll requested. I've always loved Geno and all his seemingly come close moments netted him spot four. I'm putting Andy and Elma on the list over my runners up because I want stages and music for them in addition to really wanting the characters (Andy could have such a rad moveset as he swings wrenches around and all of his specials revolve around building things). My runners up in no order are Dixie Kong (Ultimate's biggest snub!), Waluigi (the other, more funny, biggest snub!), Lora (Xenoblade Torna), Tsubasa Oribe (I really, really want TMS#FE music in Smash), Linkle, Paper Mario, Master Chief (we need his music and level!), and Saki Amamiya (Sin and Punishment).

I'm gonna keep it strictly first party because reasons

1) Saki Amamiya - Sin & Punishment
2) Elma - Xenoblade Chronicles X
3) Ayumi Tachibana - Famicom Detective Club
4) Twintelle - ARMS
5) Andy, Sami and Max in a tank - Advance Wars
6) Matt - Wii Sports

KOS-MOS (Xenosaga/Xenoblade 2)
Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Albert Wesker (Resident Evil)
Officer Howard (Astral Chain)
Nahobino (Shin Megami Tensei V)*
Elma (Xenoblade X)

*Divided between Nahobino and Demi-Fiend but I think Nahobino would be more likely to become a playable character

Honorable mentions (mii costumes or other content please): Deus Ex, SaGa and Mana (no clear character representative for these two series), Souls, Ys, Chrono, .hack, Shadow Hearts (lol), Soul Blazer trilogy, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile, Legend of Dragoon (lol)

I genuinely, objectively believe that Bomberman is the biggest third party omission by a long shot. Like, he should have been next up after Sonic, Pac-Man and maybe Mega Man. Simon Belmont and Ryu at a push. The game just feels incomplete without him.

2B (Nier)
Master Chief (c'mon)
Bomberman (c'mon)
Tifa (FF)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Skull Kid (Zelda)

As for the totally serious poll - the Shining character. Because that's as close to Golden Sun as I can get.

Ok, let's do this.

1- Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
2- Andy (Advance Wars)
3- Chibi Robo
4- Alphen (Tales of Arise)
5- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
6- Claude Speed/Tommy Vercetti/Carl Johnson (GTA)
Why do you want Saki when we also have the superior offspring Isa Jo?
2595170-7823488679-IsaJo.jpg

At least as an echo to his mother he needs to be in.

Edit: I saw we are doing up-to-6 lists so here's an updated take:

Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
Zagreus (Hades)
Mileena (Mortal Kombat)
Marina (Splatoon)
Jack Frost (SMT)
Monokuma (Danganronpa)

Last edited:
My desired 6 in alphabetical order:
  1. Crash Bandicoot
  2. Elma (Xenoblade X)
  3. Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei series)
  4. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
  5. Monokuma (Danganronpa)
  6. Rayman

They could include a Jack Frost skin with Lara Croft's outfit and call him Lara Frost or Jack Croft
sorry

1. Isaac (Golden Sun)
2. Sami (Advance Wars)
3. Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
4. Micaiah (Fire Emblem)
5. Master Chief (Halo)
6. Shantae (Shantae)

My reasons. I have wanted Isaac in since Melee and I will keep the torch burning strong forever for him. Advance Wars is one of my fav series ever and would love it to get a rep, and Sami makes the best sense to me as a playable fighter (though I can see an issue of vote splitting between her, Andy and Max). Dixie Kong really should have been in by now (I think Sakurai still plans to have her as a Diddy Kong tag team). Yeah I know more Fire Emblem, but Radiant Dawn was my first FE and I think Micaiah could be a fun spellcaster character. Master Chief is my pipe dream third party pick now Banjo has made it in. Shantae would make a perfect indie representative given her history and popularity with Nintendo systems and fans (and her moveset, complete with transformations, would make her a fun fighter).

Couple more pipe dream suggestions outside the top 6 for giggles. Lilith or one of the sirens from Borderlands would be cool, as I'm a fan of those games and seeing them smashing characters with their crazy siren powers would be cool (Amara would be good for a diversity pick too). Also my absolute it'll-never-happen-but-I-can-dream character would be Kat from Gravity Rush. Her moveset and abilities are perfect for Smash. Imagine her using her gravity dives to zip around the stage and hurl objects/fighters about.

1. Adol Christin (Ys). A video game series that needs representation.
2. Mike Jones (StarTropics). We need StarTropics 3!
3. Shantae Yeah, we need Shantae in Smash
4. Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia) Yes, we need more anime swordsmen.
5. Tiki (Fire Emblem). We need dragons too
6. Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club) It's her time to Smash.

Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Elma (Xenoblade X)
Twintelle (ARMS)
Octoling or Marina (Splatoon)
Literally any Rhythm Heaven character

My grand conspiracy theory is that Sakurai had to make a choice between Elma and Corrin for that DLC spot in Smash 4, and because of that Elma missed her best chance to ever get in unfortunately.

Voted for Leif because I played against his spirit last night and he's cute šŸ„ŗšŸ˜. Also as a Byleth echo because Byleth is just perfect to play?? I loved playing as them.

But I think the biggest robbery in Fire Emblem's Smash history is Azura and Edelgard not being Fates and TH reps tbh. I'll take either as Bytleth's echo.

Edit, now my six picks:
  • Geno(Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars)
  • Impa(The Legend of Zelda)
  • Twintelle(ARMS)
  • Pauline(Super Mario)
  • Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
  • Jill Valentine with Leon and Claire as echoes or skins(Resident Evils)

Last edited:
  • Dante (Devil May Cry, Capcom)
  • Crash (Crash Bandicoot, Activision)
  • Master Chief (Halo, Microsoft)
  • Jill Valentine (Resident Evil, Capcom)
  • Chosen Undead (Dark Souls, Bandai-Namco)
  • Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter, SEGA)

Hornet or The Knight from Hollow Knight. I really thought one of them might get in as a Mii Swordfighter. Seems like a wasted opportunity.

Last edited:
Crossposting from Era, hope thatā€™s okay.

Arle (Puyo Puyo)
Ring Fit Trainee (Ring Fit Adventure)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong)
Terra (Final Fantasy)
Twintelle (ARMS)

Honorable Mentions: Eggman, Mr. Sandman, Chun Li, Athena Asamiya, Captain Toad, Tibby (Rhythm Heaven), Mappy, Midna, Marina Liteyears (Mischief Makers)

All of these are I believe characters with a decent-to-good chance of making it in, outside of maybe Tibby (Niche Pick), Mappy (Retro Pick) and Marina Liteyears (Impossible Dream)

1. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
  2. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
  3. Dante( Devil May Cry)
  4. Impa (The Legend of Zelda)
  5. Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X)
  6. Amaterasu Okami (Okami)

1- Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Detective Club)
The real star of the games, and the one that Sakurai even considered for Melee ! Her trophy in that game is what got many of us interested in the FamiTan franchise (the fuck is that high school girl doing here ? HER BEST FRIEND GOT KILLED ?! What is this game !), so it would be fitting for her to finally get in ! Also it would be the first textual adventure game/visual novel rep in Smash, it would be interesting to see how Sakurai would adapt it. Some gameplay involving presenting clues to the opponents ?

2) Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Resident Evil seems like a no brainer for a future Smash game given its popularity and importance for the medium, and it even got spirits in Utimate during the first season. Jill Valentine is my most wanted, she's one of the protags of the very first one and she's simply awesome. I would like her REmake 3 design to be default, with the REmake 1 design to be an alt. I imagine the character would be not too fast to mimic the tank feeling of the classic games, and hopefully would involve some inventory management lol. Another concept I imagined that would be sillier would be Jill and Nemesis, basically Nemesis shows up during her smash attacks, and she "dodges" the Nemesis attack during the animation. Basically, she just summons Nemesis for smash attacks.

3) Reimu (Touhou)
If Smash ever gets a real indie pick (Steve is now Microsoft, it's difficult to consider him an indie char even though Minecraft used to be indie as fuck), the first one has to be from Touhou. The legendary indie series that has been going on for more than 2 decades in Japan, the most well known bullet hell shooter. I imagine the character would be hella fun, spamming weak but super fast ranged shooting attacks. Also the music would be awesome.

4) 2B (NieR)
I was soooo hoping for pass 2 that she would happen until Sephiroth was revealed. I just love the character, the design, and the music of the franchise. Also, the pod could be a fun gimmick for the character. A sword user character who has a puppet which shoots bullets.

5) Chosen Undead (Dark Souls)
I would rather get Solaire, but I imagine most Souls fans will just vote the more likely Chosen Undead. Dark Souls is my favorite modern series, and I'm sure Sakurai could find a fun/dumb gimmick with the undead mechanic, making the character a hard mode once you die once lol (until you reawaken the fire)
Sora's trailer broke me. I was so sure it was going to be Dark Souls lmao. The silence, all the trophies in the darkness, they specifically show Zelda, then the fire, Mario slowly approching it with his hand... Man fuck that trailer lmao.

6) Jack Frost (Shin Megami Tensei)
I could also go for Jack Bros, a 3 characters tag team similar to Ice Climber (not PokƩmon Trainer, they would always be together, just swaping with each others to decide who leads) consisting of Frost, Lantern, and Ripper. But I'll just go with Jack Frost alone for the poll consistency, most people just asking for Jack Frost.
Not much to say. Very cute and funny mascot from a legendary series that isn't represented in Smash (Persona in Smash unfortunately skipped all the classic SMT elements... No demons spirits, etc, nothing !).

Sans from Undertale
Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
Dante (Devil May Cry)
Rodin (Bayonetta)
Elma (Xenoblade Chronicles X) (I hate the game, but god damn did I love Elma)
Howard Twins (Astral Chain)
Waluigi
Albert Wesker (Resident Evil) (To all the Jill, Chris and Leon people. Come on. A villain for a horror game who is enhanced by the T-Virus. He would be far more fun and fitting then just someone who uses guns. I'll also settle for Nemesis or any other Zombie-creature from the series).
Tails (Sonic the Hedgehog) (Sonic player 2, like Mario player 2. I see people post Shadow and or Knuckles and I'm like. Tails has them beat by miles *pun intended)
Phoenix Wright (Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney)

Last edited:
1) Felyne (Monster Hunter) - Much like I did back on Era for years, I still maintain that Tsujimoto's team will likely never sign off on the idea of having a human Hunter design in a fighting game of any sort. (And the one time it did happen, in MvC Infinite, was hinted at how that dev team went ahead and did such without any real say-so from the MH team proper.) There's a lot of reasons for why they continue to balk at such, but the two main reasons boil down to a) the Monsters are the stars, not the humans, and b) they don't want to ever have it be the case where a "default" human character design represents the entire series in the same way someone like Dante or Mega Man reps their respective series. HOWEVER! That much never seemed to apply to the Felynes, who share their "series mascot" spot with Rathalos, and have been just as prone to crossovers in various other series. If you need playstyle ideas, look no further than MHGU on Nintendo Switch, where the cats finally made their playable debut.

2) Wart aka Mamu - He's just the kind of character that I always pictured would be the last of the "SURPRISING" retro-themed picks, in the same way G&W, ROB and Duck Hunt were before. Plus, I always thought his story was an interesting one among Nintendo characters: debuts in a wholly original game, which got retrofitted into being a SMB game, then did a cameo appearance in a Zelda game (that was similarly themed around dreams), and may or may not have a son that resides in the Animal Crossing series. This dude was doing ambitious Nintendo crossovers before it was in style!

3) Classic Ganon - Yes, there's technically been Beast Ganon(s) in Smash, already. But neither of them have been teleporting, trident-wielding Demon Kings paying tribute to the character's earliest appearances in the first four games in the series. Yes, there is something to be said about how the Zelda side of the roster could use more "unique" representation that doesn't just boil to multiple versions of the three Triforce wielders. But considering how much the Big Blue Boar would stand to be a wholly unique entity from Ganondorf, the Raoh homage, I'll continue to stump for this guy over all others.

4) "Chozo General" aka Raven Beak - For the sake of those who STILL have yet to play/finish Metroid Dread (and if this applies to you, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!), I won't speak too much. But to say that this guy should be on the shortlist to be slotted into the next game is an understatement. Especially by the time you get to fight him for real, and it just seems like the devs were pretty much drafting up a full proof of concept of how to make his moveset realizable for Sakurai's eyes.

5) Rodin - Simply put, this guy's awesome. Being a hidden boss fight in both Bayonetta games released so far, actually playable in the second game, and another one that was included along with Bayo herself in W101 as a cool unlockable. There's no shortage of ideas for how to turn this guy into a playable entrant. It'd also be nice to get an actual brutha in Smash, and at least be a start to answering a longstanding issue the series has had...

For the next Smash I'd like to include all the remaining Nintendo blind-spots. More characters like ROB, in particular, as far as just weird inclusions that shouldn't work but do. As well as other obvious choices. In no particular order:

1) Ryota Hayami from Wave Race 64/Blue Storm
2) Mach Rider
3) Chorus Kids
4) Ring Fit Adventurer
5) Dixie Kong
6) Paper Mario (it's funny how Game & Watch and Steve's animations combined would basically be Paper Mario; he'd work pretty well)
7) Saki Amamiya
8) Urbosa
9) Ayumi Tachibana from Famicom Detective Club (reminds me I still need to play that before the end of the year)
10) Andy (from Advance Wars)

I'm honestly good with third-parties at this point. There are obviously characters I would've loved to see still, mostly Jill Valentine or Nemesis, but I think the "wow" factor of Smash getting these big names has kind of worn off. Sora and Banjo really just sealed the deal for me. To the point where even Master Chief wouldn't actually be jaw-dropping.

My top choices are Master Hand and Koopa Troopa (Mario Kart). They're both from giant 1st party series that don't have playable representation yet.

Master Hand is older now (21 years) than Mario was in SSB64 (18 years).

Zagreus (Hades)
Nahobino (SMTV)

"Himbo Rights!" - @pinkpunk

Other than that I wish for more female characters to get the spotlight. Anna Fire Emblem but unironically, Xenoblade's Elma, Splatoon's Marina, ARMS' Twintelle, Lara Croft, 2B, a Mortal Kombat lady (Mileena)... I would like to see it.
Ooh Zagreus is a fun pick. You could assign each weapon to his specials. I canalso imagine the stage whereby you're ascending up through Hell while the fighters pick up boons from the gods, giving them various status effects.

• Shantae (Shantae)
  • Isaac (Golden Sun)
  • Geno (Mario RPG)
  • Krystal (Starfox)
  • Hunter (Monster Hunter)
  • Bomberman (Bomberman)
  • Rhythm Heaven character (Rhythm Heaven)
Stealing from others:
  • Wart
  • Ring Fit Adventurer
  • Paper Mario

Alex Roivas (Eternal Darkness)
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Jade (Beyond Good and Evil)
RE characters as alt skins (Leon, Chris, Jill, Claire, Sheva, Josh) Or, just combine them all into the true RE GOAT, Barry Burton. So yeah, just Barry Burton.
Vegeta. (Dragon Ball Z) Everyone keeps hoping for Goku. Goku sucks. Give me Vegeta.
Stone Cold Steve Austin. With a chair. And a cooler full of beer. Stunners for everyone!

Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
Dr. Eggman
Shantae
Paper Mario
Krystal (with cool staff moves)

These characters have great potential for a future Smash.

1. Tingle ( Zelda and his own serie)
2. Agumon (Digimon)
3. Marco Rossi (Metal Slug)
4. Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle)
5. Isaac (Golden Sun)
6. Skull Kid (Zelda)

1. Monster Hunter (Monster Hunter)
2. Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda)
3. Ring Fit Trainer (Ring Fit Adventure)
4. Isaac (Golden Sun)
5. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
6. Crono (Chrono Trigger)

Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
Elma (Xenoblade X)
Twintelle (ARMS)
Octoling or Marina (Splatoon)
Literally any Rhythm Heaven character

My grand conspiracy theory is that Sakurai had to make a choice between Elma and Corrin for that DLC spot in Smash 4, and because of that Elma missed her best chance to ever get in unfortunately.
This makes me think about Source Gaming's video on the topic of For's DLC, they came to the same conclusion about Corrin vs Elma and it's a really interesting dissection.

I love how your poll is all Fire Emblem characters, lol! However, I also worry that's entirely accurate to what we'd get...

I'm not going to talk third parties. I feel that's a rabbit hole that just gets way too messy, and honestly I think Nintendo has plenty of first party characters that deserve a playable slot after the third party-heavy Ultimate additions. With more Smash clones coming out, I imagine the whole "so and so for Smash" hype whenever any game comes out will diminish as alternatives arise. I'd rather Smash go back to focusing more on Nintendo history, as there's plenty left to mine. Anywho, here are my choices:

Krystal: She's been rumored to have been considered since Brawl, but time constraints always got in the way. She finally made it in as an AT, and quite a developed one at that, but she honestly deserves fully playable status, being the most notable female character from Star Fox, and the last major Star Fox character that is popular enough for Smash. In a lot of ways, she's like Star Fox's Dixie Kong. Since they already used the Adventures version of her as an AT, they could use her Assault version and give her both a blaster and her staff. Or Sakurai could do a new suit design, a la Wolf. Krystal could do a mixture of ranged and melee attacks, both sci-fi and fantasy-based, giving her a range of play styles. Plus, how many staff-based fighters do we have?

Dixie Kong: Speaking of Dixie, yeah, it's time to finally bring her in, but with a twist... as some have suggested, she was supposedly going to be a tag-team character with Diddy, evoking that team-based nature of the DKC games. Instead of Diddy, maybe she could be teamed up with her "Little" sis, Tiny Kong? They could tag in/out and have variations of move sets, a la Pyra/Mythra. This way it's not just another Kong, only with a hair whip attack, but rather something truly unique for the DK roster, and a fitting homage to the DKC series' mechanics.

Twintelle: I think a lot of people were really let down when arguably the most popular ARMS character (and one of the few chances to put a black first party character into Smash) wasn't chosen as the ARMs rep in Ultimate... heck, Sakurai apparently didn't even consider her, and wanted Ninjara instead (for real? What the heck bro...). While Min-Min is great, Twintelle feels like she would be not only a really interesting character and would play differently since her ARMS are her hair, but also because she would introduce some much-needed diversity into Smash. Plus, she sips tea when she wins. Such attitude.

Medusa: Dark Pit landed with a thud, when Medusa would've been a really cool addition to the Kid Icarus crew. Palutena doesn't really have a counterpart in Smash, and Medusa would be a great villain alternative. She could summon enemies like Eggplant Wizard, either as an attack or a Final Smash. Or maybe she could morph from her humanoid form into the giant cyclops head form. The possibilities are really endless when you have a goddess in play. I could see her being a bit of a glass canon, since she's a powerful distanced magic user, but could take high damage when hit.

Twili Midna: Most of Zelda's roster are variations of Link, so let's mix it up. Midna is one of the best (if not the best) companion characters in the Zelda series. Imp Midna is already in as an AT, so it'd be cool to see her upgraded to Twili Midnight, who is a very striking character, and has a creative range of attack potential, as showcased in Hyrule Warriors. Plus maybe she could transform into Imp Midna (riding Wolf Link. Oh no... another Link lol) for a change in play style, similar to how Samus/Zero Suit Samus worked in Brawl. She'd be a really versatile character.

Birdo: Similar to Medusa and Palutena, Birdo would be a great counterpart to Yoshi. While technically a villain, Birdo is more of an anti-hero if you look at the Mario spinoffs. Birdo is usually paired up with Yoshi in these side games, and Yoshi himself is the only representative from his own series (he's listed as being from the Yoshi IP instead of Mario). Technically Birdo would be a Mario character too, but she hasn't been in a mainline game since SMB2. Birdo and Yoshi being paired up more in Smash would make for some cute team-ups, and plus she's technically the first trans videogame character, which would be welcome to Smash, which like I mentioned before, has a diversity issue.

I noticed that all of my choices are female characters, but Smash really lacked female representation until recently, and even then a lot of them are female versions of male characters (Fire Emblem reps) or alternate takes on a character (Samus/Zero Suit Samus, Zelda/Sheik). I considered adding in Impa as an either/or choice alongside Midna, but I much prefer the Hyrule Warriors versions of her and I don't know if Nintendo would ever choose a third party version of her over their original takes. Sakurai would probably just redesign her from scratch anyway.

I believe that if we got another Fire Emblem character (separate from the hard-lock of whoever is the most recent Lord/Avatar character from a future game), I think it would be Tiki for sure given her importance throughout the franchise and what she could bring to the table that's unique.
Honestly, I've been of the mind that if Fire Emblem were to actually need any characters, those would be Anna and Tiki, for much the same reason as you've given here (which is why Anna is the correct answer for the poll heading this thread). Anna might not have terribly much of the importance factor, but does have appearances in almost every Fire Emblem game.

Why do you want Saki when we also have the superior offspring Isa Jo?
2595170-7823488679-IsaJo.jpg
Now, now, we all know that if Smash used any Sin & Punishment character not Saki, that character would be Achi ... for, well, fairly obvious reasons, which make Achi actually a good choice.
But Saki's got such a great aesthetic and oozes Smash potential, so we all know when Smash gets a Sin & Punishment character, that character will be Saki.

I should probably get to figuring out what my own list would be. There once was a time I probably could have listed a good selection offhand, but even then this whole six character business is serious.

Wonder if Waluigi will win here
Why would you utter such evil in this place?

• Takamaru (Murasame Mysterious Castle)
  • Bomberman (Bomberman)
  • Andy (Advance Wars)
  • Paper Mario (Paper Mario)
  • Chibi Robo (Chibi Robo)
  • Zagreus (Hades)

My top 5 would have to be:
  1. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  2. Human/Frisk (Undertale)
  3. Bomberman (Bomberman)
  4. Master Chief (Halo)
  5. Alucard (Castlevania)

I voted Bomberman back in the ballot and I'd still want him. It's not my job to make him actually work after all.

Back
Top Bottom