• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 5th Anniversary [Latest Update: Final New Spirit Event - Princess Peach: Showtime! & Super Mario Bros. Wonder]

^ Hmm, nice catch, though I don’t know if this actually means anything in particular considering the spirit still has Xenoblade series fighter synergy. I haven’t checked my spirit inventory recently or properly, but are there any major cases of franchised spirits that have a similar oddity of not subtitling their parent series?

Seems like the Rauru and Oatchi spirits aren’t able to be leveled up (I’m not sure if there’s a particular reason as to why that is).
They’re support spirits, which can’t be leveled up; only primary spirits can be leveled up.

Wew that Rauru battle gave me a bit of a workaround. Took me two tries. Thought I won on the second try and then shouted "oh fuck there's more?!" when Mewtwo showed up. K. Rool belly bouncing Shadow Ball saved the day there.

For some reason the Splatoon 3 one hasn't shown up yet. Oh there it is

Got all 4 spirits. Felt good to shake the cobwebs out and muck around with this one for a bit. Can’t believe it’s already been 6 years…

Splatoon one was the only one that gave me some trouble. Took me two tries. I beat the others on the first attempts. The hardest part was learning to play on the Pro controller because I didn't feel like hooking up the Gamecube adapter.

The second event is here! Third-Party spirits this time; Power Pro, 13 Sentinels and Hades!

Bizarre, glad to see 13 Sentinels get some love. I thought it'd only be first party although I expect the next two to have Pokemon, Engage, Kirby still.

Super weird they’re adding new Spirits to the game…..damn maybe the next Smash is closer than we thought and it’s just a Deluxe edition.

Edit: Ah this is an anniversary thing.

Last edited:
Wow, none of those are what I would have expected at all, lol. I was already kinda doubting more third-party spirits, but I certainly wasn’t expecting those third-party spirits. Interesting… Now I’m even more curious about what the next two events will be…

lol. Completely missed the last set of spirits and now will never be able to get them…let’s hope they just going rotation

What a random trio of games! But I'm really happy about VanillaWare representation in Smash. Who knows, maybe we'll get Muramasa as a playable character someday.

If we're gonna do third party stuff, I want more classic series. Data East, Sunsoft, Technos, Irem and Taito... Especially Taito, Space Invaders still doesn't have any presence in Smash and it's unacceptable.

Hades and 13 Sentinels are among my favorite third party games on Switch, so this is wonderful news.

Just need a rep from Baba is You to complete the trinity.

I’m very curious if the Power Pros spirit will become obtainable via their amiibo cards (along with the Deep Cut and Noah & Mio spirits with their respective amiibo, of course) once the game is updated to add support for the Sora amiibo.

Hey, I'll load Smash back up to grab 13 Sentinels and Hades spirits. Why not

They really know exactly how to make things hype again. Instantly subverting expectations and adding something cool for what could've easily been a low-key, predictable set of events.

All these Spirit releases have me to believe Sakurai might be using data of players coming to Smash to get these Spirits as indicators for characters to include in Smash Bros. Alongside Costume DLC sales.

There's really no other reason to do things like this so late from the game's last update and years from release.

Sakurai is a known 13 Sentinels fan, so this makes sense. I do find it interesting that they're willing to negotiate for third-party spirits this late in the game though.

All these Spirit releases have me to believe Sakurai might be using data of players coming to Smash to get these Spirits as indicators for characters to include in Smash Bros. Alongside Costume DLC sales.

There's really no other reason to do things like this so late from the game's last update and years from release.
If we get Zagreus as a character in Smash Ultimate Deluxe I will lose my shit

I do find it interesting that they're willing to negotiate for third-party spirits this late in the game though.
I wonder how that all works. I could be totally misremembering but iirc Wayforward described the process of getting Shantae spirits in the base game as basically "Nintendo e-mailed us asking for some art, we sent it over without knowing what exactly it was for or if they'd even use it, we only found out when it showed up in a Direct"

Long shot, but maybe it's possible this is stuff that they had sorta "pre-cleared" a while ago and just never did anything with before now? Like if they had asked Supergiant for some Hades art back during fighter pass 2 and are only getting around to using it now

It's so cool to see more recent indie games like Hades, I really wonder if this cross-promotion is going to continue in the next Smash. Seems like a great advertising deal.

Hopefully Cadence from Crypt of the Necrodancer gets a spirit too, always found it weird how instead of doing a Cadence of Hyrule spirit event around release like they usually did, they did a Link's Awakening HD Spirit Event months before the game launched which they didn't do before. Thought maybe they'd do a Mii costume or something considering an indie crossing over with Zelda is a pretty big deal but they just didn't.

Nintendo out here killing off speculation for future fighters! Spirit theory never fails.
...for Ultimate, yeah. But we're probably done getting characters for that game anyway.

All these characters would still be on the table for what's next.

I do find it interesting that they're willing to negotiate for third-party spirits this late in the game though.
I wonder how that all works. I could be totally misremembering but iirc Wayforward described the process of getting Shantae spirits in the base game as basically "Nintendo e-mailed us asking for some art, we sent it over without knowing what exactly it was for or if they'd even use it, we only found out when it showed up in a Direct"

Long shot, but maybe it's possible this is stuff that they had sorta "pre-cleared" a while ago and just never did anything with before now? Like if they had asked Supergiant for some Hades art back during fighter pass 2 and are only getting around to using it now
I mean if you want to get a little Pepe Silvia about it, given Studio S is clearly working on something, these spirits might be because Nintendo has renewed talks with Konami and Sega/Atlus regarding the next game, and thought they'd just retroactively add these to Ultimate.

And Hades could be in that vein... though I think what's likelier is that one just blew up after all the spirits had already been chosen earlier on.

Just a reminder that the spirits are now live!

bafkreiain7czfkh4w5t3nfprxubz32ivmcb5o2duyqkjtihr5nw4bb577a@jpeg
bafkreieb2egrwlqf7oor5u5y4kme2tc7i6usbmevkddyik4vgv7l7jxtha@jpeg
bafkreiaok7fizfwfcq4vfkl7j66rwtlumsmvhak4rjvddvaklcfs2jqkdi@jpeg
bafkreifnovs7xait6lp6izei5fgy3fwmb3tiynoddfyhyv3ygpnzes5tje@jpeg
Oh damn, I missed these! Do we know whether they'll be added eventually like other event stickers were before?

kinda weird how many of these new spirits are missing their series tag

The Power Pro-Kun one has an "eBaseball: Power Pros" tag, but Zagreus and the 13 Sentinels Pilots are missing the Hades and 13 Sentinels tags. Same with the Noah&Mio one too, which is even more noticeable since "Xenoblade Chronicles series" isn't even something new that they'd have to add to the game

these spirit events are really odd to me, im not sure i buy that it is just a 25th anniversary thing, either we could see smash 64 and meelee rereleased or, and a very big if, fighter's pass 3

The Power Pro-Kun one has an "eBaseball: Power Pros" tag, but Zagreus and the 13 Sentinels Pilots are missing the Hades and 13 Sentinels tags. Same with the Noah&Mio one too, which is even more noticeable since "Xenoblade Chronicles series" isn't even something new that they'd have to add to the game
for what it's worth all three of the spirits without series tags come from series that are rated higher than "everyone 10 and up"

Quoted by: Tye

It is super weird… I guess they just…fucked up?? Is it also like this in Japanese, or is it a mistake exclusive to localization, I wonder?

for what it's worth all three of the spirits without series tags come from series that are rated higher than "everyone 10 and up"
I mean, the Bayonetta spirits correctly say that they’re from the Bayonetta series, so clearly the rating has nothing to do with it.

I mean, the Bayonetta spirits correctly say that they’re from the Bayonetta series, so clearly the rating has nothing to do with it.
yes, but those spirits were in the game years ago
perhaps they're afraid doing that now

Quoted by: Tye
yes, but those spirits were in the game years ago
perhaps they're afraid doing that now
Why, though? Especially when Xenoblade Chronicles already had spirits before—both in the base game and as DLC—that didn’t leave the series blank like that, and it’s not like they went back and erased it from the older Xenoblade spirits, either. It doesn’t make any sense at all.

Back
Top Bottom