• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 5th Anniversary [Latest Update: Final New Spirit Event - Princess Peach: Showtime! & Super Mario Bros. Wonder]

MondoMega

Puffball Enthusiast
Pronouns
She/They
You thought it was over? Four events featuring new spirits will release starting in January.

Sakurai has commented as well:

Yooo new spirits! I'm expecting Mario Wonder and TOTK but I hope we get Xenoblade 3 spirits.

Well, with an update coming for Sora amiibo compatibility and new spirits, with Namco deciding to name their studio that worked on Smash differently from the studio that helped with Mario Kart and such, I think it's no longer too farfetched to say that something bigger than we know could be happening.

The Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Booster Fighter Pass DLC for The Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Game
spongebob-mr-krabs.gif

They may as well have put up red blinking lights on a sign saying "WE ARE BACK TO MAKING A NEW SMASH BROS" with this news. lol

After confirming with peeps, seeing that Evil Ryu (the most recent spirit) was back in January last year means that adding new Spirits all of a sudden is... intriguing.
Sora amiibo being dated in February has its own implications, but having this odd lead up with new spirit events starting January...?

Glad to finally be getting some new things to unlock, even if it only takes about 10 minutes each week. Sure will be interesting to see what we get.

Placing my bets on... 12 spirits of Smash 64 artwork in batches of 3.

I'd guess this would add spirits for amiibo that currently have none connected. So that would be Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Splatoon 3 and maybe Tears of the Kingdom (all three amiibo are already represented in the game though). Aside from that, the only major new release in 2024 in Peach Showtime with the rest of the games so far being remakes with representation in the game. Beyond those the major new titles since the last new spirit (Metroid Dread Spirits & then Evil Ryu) would be these titles:
  • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Switch Sports
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Pokemon Scarlet & Violet
  • Fire Emblem Engage
  • Pikmin 4
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORA

Interesting… I assume three of the four events may likely be for Xenoblade Chronicles 3, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Splatoon 3 spirits, since those all have amiibo that they could be used to unlock the spirits as well (plus the Xenoblade Chronicles 3 amiibo happen to be releasing in January, too). Not really sure what the fourth might be, though… There are a lot of potential options.

EDIT: Oops, I missed that @astrogamer already beat me to this thought, lol.

Though I will add that I suppose it’s possible that we could get more Monster Hunter Rise spirits to correspond to the Sunbreak amiibo, though I kinda doubt that they’d choose to add more Monster Hunter spirits over something like Pikmin 4 or Super Mario Bros. Wonder.

Last edited:
Sora Amiibo taking two and a half years to come out is nuts, even the Cloud and Bayonetta Amiibos didn't take that long lol

Looking forward to more Spirits though. Hell of a 5 years it's been with this game.

Sora Amiibo taking two and a half years to come out is nuts, even the Cloud and Bayonetta Amiibos didn't take that long lol

Looking forward to more Spirits though. Hell of a 5 years it's been with this game.
I imagine that's a mix of working with Disney and also planning Sora after the rest of Fighter Pass 2.

Can't imagine working with Disney was easy, they're very protective of Mickey and the rest, it's still a miracle we got an amiibo at all, imho :D

Last edited:
More fighters please :) Keep Ultimate rolling through Switch 2 with a massive expansion / revision.

Time to unreasonably overanalyze what new spirits DON'T come out in January.

"Why no Tears of the Kingdom spirts, Nintendo? Saving those for something else?"
oprah-thinking.gif

They should let the Noah and Mio amiibo unlock Xenoblade 3 music including Moebius Battle and You Will Know Our Names Finale.

5 years since Ultimate is f’ing wild. DLC definitely made it feel shorter, but still, my life was completely different when this game came out.

I'm not getting my hopes up at all, but I'd love it if they also dropped some new music along with these (even just straight rips); I've been listening to the Ultimate soundtrack while walking the dog lately, and I've really noticed certain games absences. It'd be rad to get a song or two from more recent titles like Forgotten Land, Splat 3, or Mario Wonder just to help Ultimate feel a bit more representative of the Switch era in its entirety

I don’t get it, what would updating Smash with Sora and new Spirits mean?

A next gen version?
I think Smash might be filling the role 8DX did for a bit in the Switch era of a game that will get a roadmap of future mystery content after quite a bit of silence. There's definitely a focus shifting to Smash again at least, I don't know if I'd bet on it getting a full next gen retail version, but I think Smash will be supported again, and I don't think they'd get casual fans to really care with just balance adjustments.
They know Mario Kart tracks and Smash characters get people REALLY talking, so I think we could be headed towards a Nintendo that passes off the two for marketing buzz, in between letting the other one breathe.

On one hand sweet on the other I'll have to look up the release dates for the spirits to get and remind myself to boot up the game without missing them because my OCD won't allow me to not have them all.

Remember that January 2024 marks Smash 25th anniversary.
...I swear if that's why they've been holding Smash 64 back for NSO...

(or godforbid April 26, 2024 for the North American anniversary because Jan 21 is a Sunday this year)

Relevant topic at hand, neat. I am sure this has absolutely no basis beyond wanting to keep Smash semi-relevant with the bare minimum effort involved.

There we go, one of the international Nintendo branches finally tweeted about it.

I want that Sora amiibo

How does buying amiibo work now? are there preorders?
The first round of preorders can be fairly tight and will probably happen randomly soonish, but then they usually get another round a few nights before launch that are easier-ish to nab, and then one more round after launch where they are easily available.

I’m just glad this means the spirit list won’t end with Evil Ryu awkwardly sitting in a row by himself anymore

My guess is that since Smash Bros. Ultimate needs to be updated to support Sora amiibo (it doesn't at all currently), they took the opportunity to do some additional lowcost stuff.

Cool, I love Spirits. Get some Level-5 in there?? Or just Peach, Another Code, Mario Wonder, Mario RPG...

Here's are my ideas for what the first three new spirit events will be.

Regular Spirits
Talking Flower
Drill Mario
Bubble Mario

Spirit battles
Spirit battleFighter(s)ConditionsRulesStage:
Elephant MarioGiant Mario
  • The enemy favors down specials
  • Defeat the main fighter to win
Mushroom Kingdom U (hazardless)
Bulrush7x Bowser Team
  • The enemy favors dash attacks
  • The enemy has super armor and is hard to launch or make flinch
  • The enemy is less affected by gravity after a little while
  • Defeat an army of fighters
  • Timed Battle
Mushroomy Kingdom
Wonder Bowser JrBowser Jr
  • You are tiny after a little while
  • Periodic earthquakes will shake the stage after a little while
  • You are giant after a little while
  • Gravity is reduced after a little while
Mushroom Kingdom U

Regular Spirits
Collin
Moss

Spirit battles
Glow Pikmin20x Tiny Zelda team
  • Hostile assist trophies will appear (Shadow)
  • Survive until the timer runs out
  • Timed Stamina Battle
Gamer
Oatchi and CaptainDuck Hunt and Olimar (Main)
  • The enemy starts the battle with a Gooey Bomb (Olimar)
  • The enemy can deal damage by dashing into you (Duck Hunt)
  • The enemy will charge up a powerful Final Smash (Olimar)
Garden of Hope
Ice Pikmin3x Ice Climbers team
  • The floor is frozen
  • Stamina battle
Garden of Hope
Groovy Long LegsGiant Dark Samus
  • The enemy gets a major stat boost when badly damaged
  • The enemy loves to taunt
The Great Cave Offensive (Omega)

Regular Spirits
Detective Peach
Pâtissière Peach
Stella

Spirit battles
Swordfighter PeachLucina
  • The enemy can unleash powerful critical hits at random
  • Strengthen Weapon (Lucina)
Arena Ferox
Kung Fu PeachMii Brawler
  • The enemy loves to jump
  • The enemy favors neutral a in the air
Suzaku Castle
GrapePalutena (Main), 2x Villager, 2x Toon Link
  • The enemy will suddenly have a Final Smash (Palutena)
Final Destination

Not to overhype but this totally means a massive Smash announcement at TGA’s confirming a new character pass, new levels, new modes, playable Sakurai being added, Metroid Prime 4 demo being added to the extras menu and break the target return!

Smash 25th anniversary x Ultimate 5th anniversary x 4 sets of spirits divided by 4 previous iterations of Smash Brothers

=

A spirit event for each previous game in the series.

Can I have some more Mii costumes too, Sakurai? They don't count as new characters anyway. Just one is enough for me: Layton!

Quoted by: Tye

Back
Top Bottom