• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 5th Anniversary [Latest Update: Final New Spirit Event - Princess Peach: Showtime! & Super Mario Bros. Wonder]

What? This caught me by surprise. Watch a new Fighters Pass (Nintendo Exclusive) to be revealed at The Game Awards with

1 Noah/Mio (Xenoblade 3)
2 Octoling (Splatoon)
3 Soldier & Commander (Advance Wars)
4 Officer Howard (Astral Chain)
5 Alear (Fire Emblem Engage)

Of course it won't. But thats actually very cool. It probably will add new spirits for newer Switch Games. And it is a message that they probably are working on a new Smash entry.

Last edited:
I think Smash might be filling the role 8DX did for a bit in the Switch era of a game that will get a roadmap of future mystery content after quite a bit of silence. There's definitely a focus shifting to Smash again at least, I don't know if I'd bet on it getting a full next gen retail version, but I think Smash will be supported again, and I don't think they'd get casual fans to really care with just balance adjustments.
They know Mario Kart tracks and Smash characters get people REALLY talking, so I think we could be headed towards a Nintendo that passes off the two for marketing buzz, in between letting the other one breathe.
I was thinking about this, actually. They could also use it as a smooth transition. Later down the road, they can add a next gen patch, and two years later, release the new SSB.

I can definitely see Nintendo pulling a MK8D with Smash Ultimate, but not releasing a new SKU, but just outright releasing content for it

Can I have some more Mii costumes too, Sakurai? They don't count as new characters anyway. Just one is enough for me: Layton!
Sakurai’s not even involved anymore, and the only new content we’re getting is stuff that can be fairly easily added without an active development team like new spirits, events, and amiibo support.

Spirit Event 1/4 (TLoZ: Tears of the Kingdom / Xenoblade 3 / Splatoon 3 / Pikmin 4)

The three games with new amiibo, plus Pikmin 4! Pretty much exactly what I’d expect, lol. Guess it makes sense that they’d choose Pikmin 4 over other stuff like Super Mario Bros. Wonder considering Pikmin 4 has more in the way of new characters to make spirits for.

They only said we’re getting four new batches of spirits, and these are those four, so no, looks like no new Pokémon spirits unfortunately.
Like Pokémon Go and the lack of Galar. :4pacman:

But seriously, i think this is the first one, there are other three in the horizon.

The three games with new amiibo, plus Pikmin 4! Pretty much exactly what I’d expect, lol. Guess it makes sense that they’d choose Pikmin 4 over other stuff like Super Mario Bros. Wonder considering Pikmin 4 has more in the way of new characters to make spirits for.

Hope this means Noah/Mio are more likely for the next smash lol. Glad to see these four getting spirits anyways.

They only said we’re getting four new batches of spirits, and these are those four, so no, looks like no new Pokémon spirits unfortunately.

These aren't the four events; this is the first of the four events, which will cover four series (one spirit each it seems).

EDIT: English tweet

So what's the start date? The 12th?
Depends on your time zone. Just guessing based on the usual Nintendo update release timing, it’ll be out 10:00am on the 12th in Japan, so that means it will be the day before in NA.

Last edited:
These aren't the four events; this is the first of the four events, which will cover four series (one spirit each it seems).

Oh, huh, I guess so, they did say four events, not just spirits from four games… Weird that they’re combining four games into the first event, though. I do hope that doesn’t mean that the characters on the banner are the ONLY spirits from those games that we’re getting…but I’m guessing that’s probably the case like you suggest, considering they’re all squeezed into one event.

Really wonder what the hell they’re doing for the other three events now…

I really hope it's more then one spirit from each game. I would love to have spirits of all the Ouroboros that evolve into their interlinked forms.

I could see one of the remaining waves be themed like this one and have Wonder/Engage/Scarlet & Violet/Forgotten Land spirits, but I dunno if they'd stick with the theme after that.

Now here's the part where they post all of the spirits one by one (i'll just be updating this post as they drop):

Last edited:
Mio!

xenoblade3-xenoblade.gif

My bet didn't pan out, but I'm glad to have new Spirits to earn again. Really wish we weren't just getting 4 events... New game can't be announced soon enough.

Wait, So we be getting more spirits after these 4? I still quite don't understand. What's the chance of getting third party spirits?

Wait, So we be getting more spirits after these 4? I still quite don't understand. What's the chance of getting third party spirits?
Yes, there are four spirit events and this is the first. It's confusing because this first one has its spirits divided up from four different games, but there will still be three more events with new spirits after this.

And I'd say the chance of getting third-party spirits is lower but not impossible. There aren't many events so this third-party would presumably have to be special in some way to be chosen to get spirits.

What if the next events are another character from each of these four series. So like Lanz/Sena, Sonia, Spiky Olimar, and New Squid Friend (idk Splatoon very well, sorry) as a hypothetical wave 2

I'm gonna collect them all

(And now i wish there would be a Expansion Pass Vol 3...but i'm glad we get tvis new Spirits after all :)

And I'd say the chance of getting third-party spirits is lower but not impossible. There aren't many events so this third-party would presumably have to be special in some way to be chosen to get spirits.
I get what you mean. If it would be a special third party, the my hopes are up for either Red Dead Redemption or GTA Trilogy, since those games are special for a Nintendo way of thinking, and came out after Ultimate's end. It'll give me a kind of CJ in Smash in some sorts😅

Yay New Spirits! Boy, can't wait to hear the arguments about whether or not Spirits deconfirm characters from appearing in the next Smash game all over again.

What if the next events are another character from each of these four series. So like Lanz/Sena, Sonia, Spiky Olimar, and New Squid Friend (idk Splatoon very well, sorry) as a hypothetical wave 2
As of Splatoon, I can see Mr. Grizz being there, or Lil buddy, or Marigold.

I don’t think they would have included multiple games in one event like this if they were planning on giving us more spirits from any of those games. Yet those four games are among the most notable Nintendo releases since they stopped doing spirit events for Smash, so it is odd that they’d only give us one spirit per games for those. Then again, perhaps it makes since given that they’ve kinda covered the essentials with just those spirits:
  • Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf already have various spirits in the game, so having their TotK versions isn’t exactly needed, and aside from them Rauru is the next most major character in the game;
  • Noah and Mio cover the two main protagonists of XC3, and getting spirits of the rest of the main cast is probably too much for a spirit event like this (unless they’re all paired up, too, I guess, but still, I wouldn’t expect that for a spirit event, sadly);
  • Since there are already spirits for Inklings and Octolings, Deep Cut are kind of the only new major characters that really need spirits from Splatoon 3;
  • And the spirit they chose for Pikmin 4 covers both Oatchi and the officially unnamed Rescue Officer, the two central new playable characters from the game (they could have included Ice Pikmin and Glow Pikmin, too, but oh well).
So I guess it makes sense. The question is, does this mean we’ll be getting games with more than just one spirit each for future events, or will they all be comprised of four games each with a single spirit like this? I’m not sure there are really enough first-party games that’d make sense to give spirits for that have released since Metroid Dread for the latter to be a realistic option, so I assume we’ll probably get at least one or two events with multiple spirits from a game. I could see this being the case for Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and Legends: Arceus, or they could combine both games in one event so we’ll get two spirits each. They could do the same for Bayonetta 3 and Origins, too, perhaps. They could also do a combo event for Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes and Engage, maybe. Aside from those…the only other games I’d possibly expect spirits for would be Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Nintendo Switch Sports, and Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Pretty much all of the other releases since Metroid Dread (the last first-party game to have spirits from it added) are either remakes or less notable sequels that don’t have much need for spirits.

I… uh….. really have no clue how likely this sounds, though it would be nice if new OST gets added to commemorate the incoming spirit battles (if not, just ports from the games will do).

Clearing a few spirits off the board after like four years away from the game but after suffering through EA Sports FC 24's atrocious Moments - bite-sized challenges where getting through the menus between tries takes more time and effort than the actual gameplay attempts - gave me a new appreciation for how smooth and snappy you jump from fight to fight here.

Also it reminded me what great fun playing Villager is.

Collected all the new spirits! I haven’t had a reason to boot up Smash Bros in a while, so these events are a nice excuse to jump back in for a bit. Still a little surreal seeing actual new content in Ultimate after two years, regardless of how minor it is.

Rauru’s battle is easily the highlight in terms of fun references (all the minion cpus are based on the TotK Sages, and they’re all very fitting- Minueru’s stand-in made me lol), but woooow is it frustrating to actually play. I tried to play it spiritless about five times before relenting and just equipping the King Slime.

Seems like the Rauru and Oatchi spirits aren’t able to be leveled up (I’m not sure if there’s a particular reason as to why that is).

Quoted by: Tye
Is this the first time spirits were added without a game update? Or was Evil Ryu also added that way?
The game has always had this feature. A bunch of spirits were added via events like this. Pretty sure the Switch is supposed to have some service analogous to SpotPass internally.

Maybe it's because my rusty ass hasn’t played Smash since the last spirit event, but how am I even supposed to deal with Kyogre in the Deep Cut spirit fight?

Edit: Franklin Badge. Forgot about that one.

Last edited:
I almost forgot how much spirit battles kick ass. Such a shame we gotta wait for more, since these were really fun.

They could release an update where every spirit can be reobtained, but this time it has a star next to the name, and I would be excited to get every one again.

How is there no GaaS support for this game. I’ll take ANYTHING! Please!

They could release an update where every spirit can be reobtained, but this time it has a star next to the name, and I would be excited to get every one again.

They added an update so you have a rematch with every spirit from the collection page and get a high score for it. That's basically a mark of doing every single one twice.

Because perpetual support for games hinders moving forward, and Nintendo's business model isn't that kind of perpetual development anyway. If that's what you want, there's an infinite number of gachatitles that have you covered.

Put it this way, if we'd had GAAS games in the n64 era, and they'd actually gone with that approach, we'd have been stuck with incremental updates to Smash64 instead of the much larger updates we have seen otherwise. My opinion is that it's outright better that they plan a year or two support for titles and then move on. I'm much more pleased with the way the series developed than that alternative.

Back
Top Bottom