• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 5th Anniversary [Latest Update: Final New Spirit Event - Princess Peach: Showtime! & Super Mario Bros. Wonder]

I guess the last wave will have Engage, Wonder, Switch Sports and Bayonetta 3? Pretty disappointing to see S/V get a whole wave.

Last edited:
With only 4 spirit events, it's very disappointing to see them giving Scarlet/Violet their own dedicated event. A massive downgrade from the previous two events.

I can only hope we get an MC Horace Showpony spirit with the final event, but I know it won’t happen… 😔

Considering this is shaping up to be another fortnight of three, I do wonder how many spirits next event will take (I don't subscribe to the 'the last row will be completed' and besides that requires 5 iirc)...

Oh wait, Ogerpon is separate from Terapagos. That feels a little better for spirit numbers in both this fortnight and next. 😅

Hearing people guess Ridley for Miraidon (Meta I guess to fit the furutristic theme?) so would that make Koraidon Charizard by default then...?

Last edited:
After seeing all the awesome games that only got one spirit each in the previous events, it's pretty disappointing that a subpar game like S/V is the one to be celebrated with an entire event to itself. Such is the power of the Pokemon merchandising machine and public mindshare, I suppose.

I hope the next and final spirit event has five spirits...

Quoted by: LiC
Ogerpon’s spirit battle might be my favorite of the newly added ones so far! Perfectly executed reference to the pre-catch showdown with her in the Teal Mask :)

Last edited:
Got the Pokémon spirits, but missed the previous few. Well, guess it's the waiting game until they reappear...

Game was patched to support for Sora amiibo (nothing else in the patch notes).

I can confirm that they did not add support for the Shiver, Frye, Big Man, Noah, or Mio amiibo, sadly. Figured that was the case when nothing about that was in the patch notes, but I checked anyway just in case…

I can confirm that they did not add support for the Shiver, Frye, Big Man, Noah, or Mio amiibo, sadly. Figured that was the case when nothing about that was in the patch notes, but I checked anyway just in case…

There's at least a small chance they may add that support after they become part of the regular spirit rotation; support for the Dread amiibo was only in the December 2021 patch even though the amiibo were available before Sora's update.

There's at least a small chance they may add that support after they become part of the regular spirit rotation; support for the Dread amiibo was only in the December 2021 patch even though the amiibo were available before Sora's update.
Yeah, but that happened in an update that also had balance changes and added support for the remaining upcoming DLC fighter amiibo (minus Sora), and before the development team would have fully disbanded, whereas now that support for the Sora amiibo has finally been added, there’s not really any other need for them to update the game again, and I doubt they’d do another update just to add support for those other amiibo purely to have them unlock spirits. I guess it’s possible, but I doubt it.

the fact the third tweet says they're adding some sort of "amiibo Tag Tournament" mode to the game definitely makes me think Switch 2 is only going to get an enhanced port of Ultimate rather than a whole new title.

the fact they've been consistently adding new content in the lead up (almost) to the launch of the new system was suspicious enough. but i believe this fully settles it.

the fact the third tweet says they're adding some sort of "amiibo Tag Tournament" mode to the game definitely makes me think Switch 2 is only going to get an enhanced port of Ultimate rather than a whole new title.

the fact they've been consistently adding new content in the lead up (almost) to the launch of the new system was suspicious enough. but i believe this fully settles it.
This isn’t new content. They’re not adding anything new to the game, it’s just an online event with rules set that require teaming up with an amiibo. It’s nothing the game wasn’t already capable of before.

Similarly, the added spirits themselves don’t require an active development team to add to the game, either. Much like the amiibo tag-team event, the new spirits just require someone to plug in some parameters and slap some images together. This isn’t at all comparable to balance updates, DLC, new modes (like the added VR mode), etc.

and playtest, because they're battles that need to be cleared
I mean, I guess, maybe?? But it would hardly require anywhere near the amount of play testing that actual new content like DLC fighters or balance changes would.

Strange, no event announcement at the standard time. Three outcomes for what happens next:
  1. It's just a bit late and shows up shortly (not looking likely at this point).
  2. In around four hours and 40 minutes a standard re-run spirit event shows up in-game and this is the only new spirit event they refuse to run in a row, for whatever reason.
  3. The spirits are tied to a game (or games) in the partner showcase and because of the delay now need to wait for it to drop before being announced (if nothing happens at outcome 2's time then we're all-in on this).
EDIT: RIP; just a rerun event this week. Outcome #2 it is!

Last edited:
Wonder if they’re gonna have the last spirit event be for MAR10 Day and feature spirits from Princess Peach: Showtime! and Super Mario Bros. Wonder…

Wonder if they’re gonna have the last spirit event be for MAR10 Day and feature spirits from Princess Peach: Showtime! and Super Mario Bros. Wonder…
This feels the most likely, but they'd have to announce it very soon. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more SMRPG spirits too.

This feels the most likely, but they'd have to announce it very soon. Wouldn't be surprised if there were more SMRPG spirits too.
They still need to announce the release dates for Luigi’s Mansion 2 and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, too, which they surely will very soon, if not on MAR10 Day, so I imagine there’s a good chance all of this gets announced at or around the same time.

Okay, so this didn’t happen… It’s gotta be a standalone spirit event for Princess Peach: Showtime! then, right?? I mean, what else could it be? If it was for an older game, why wouldn’t it have been done by now? Plus Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and Luigi’s Mansion 2 both already have spirits, so there’s nothing really to pull from there. And we already had a batch of random third-party spirits last time, so I don’t think we’ll get a second round of those right after that.

There’s Endless Ocean Luminous, too, but I doubt they’ll do a spirit event for that unfortunately, especially when Endless Ocean still has no representation in Smash at all; I believe it was only ever mentioned in Brawl’s Chronicle (and only in the Japanese version, at that)—no trophies, stickers, spirits, music; absolutely nothing. While this may seem like a good opportunity to finally change that, unfortunately I don’t think the series really has much beyond generic divers and sea animals when it comes to characters, so sadly it’s probably not well suited for spirits anyway.

Maybe there's something specific in the next batch that they at one point thought would be announced by now but hasn't, and they're waiting on that. Reports do seem to indicate some marketing beats would have had to be shuffled around behind the scenes recently

Something like FE4 remake or Prime 4 or ... I dunno, Mario Wonder DLC?

For a hot second I thought they might do an Xbox-themed event when Pentiment, Grounded, and a bunch of Rare games got announced for Switch but the time for that seems to have come and gone

Endless Ocean not having any spirits in the basegame was legit weird considering how easy it is to make a battle themed on it. Throw in Kyogre as the Ancient Mother, Tiny Dedede as a little penguin, Wii Fit Trainer as the diver(s), Goldeen I guess, the cruiser from Wuhu Island standing in for the Gabbiano or whatever, c'mon. Since there are spirits for characters like French Bulldog, I don't see how Endless Ocean couldn't at least swing a spirit for actual named characters like Katherine Sunday or Gaston Gray.

I’ve been expecting the last event to be a Showtime spotlight for a while now tbh. My personal guesses for who we could get are Stella, the Theets, Grape, and maybe one spirit comprised of all 10 of Peach’s costumes (could be a Legend class?)

I'm wondering if the Wonder Flower is its own spirit while Talking Flower pairs with Elephant Mario

The PPS side of things seems a bit more clearcut (Peach + Stella, Swordfighter Peach) but regardless, we'll know shortly how the spirits are divided

No Engage? Alear confirmed. No Endless Ocean? Magu Tapa confirmed. The next Smash Bros is already hype as hell, holy shit, how do they do it.

Very surprised Engage didn't get a spirit out of any of these events.
They skipped a lot more than just Fire Emblem Engage; Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, Nintendo Switch Sports, Bayonetta 3, Bayonetta Origins: Cereza and the Lost Demon, Everybody 1-2-Switch!—all of those could and should have gotten spirits but none of them did. And that’s not even counting remakes/remasters or more iterative sequels that aren’t as viable for new spirits, either.

I'm wondering if the Wonder Flower is its own spirit while Talking Flower pairs with Elephant Mario

Funnily enough the flowers are paired together (i'm beating the tweets to this one this time).

spirits_1_event_1905_1.png
spirits_1_event_1905_2.png
spirits_1_event_1905_3.png
spirits_1_event_1905_4.png

I missed the last two because I didn't have wifi and now I'll miss this one too... We thinking they'll put these waves into the game normally later? I have every other Spirit and all of them on Level 99 it would suck to not have it completed because of this lol

Oh thank goodness there are four; we’ve finally achieved a proper rectangle on the spirit list!!

Kinda odd that Peach’s default Showtime render is given the Legend class while her Swordfighter form is in the two-star range, I would’ve assumed the opposite. I’m also weirdly bummed that Grape didn’t get a spirit like I had anticipated, but ah well.

Back
Top Bottom