• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread

Seik

Emulation is the sincerest form of flattery
Pronouns
He/Him
banner-SNES.png

Release Date

Japan: November 21st 1990
North America: August 23rd 1991
Europe: April 11th 1992

Features

-16-bits, which is also exploits the newfound way of marketing consoles during the bit war.
-Mode 7, which is essentially an effect that can zoom in/out of sprite, think of F-Zero.
-Cartridges can be equipped with special chips such as the SuperFX chip (3D effects. ex: Star Fox, Stunt Race FX) or the A1 chip (Additional CPU power. ex: Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star) which can enhance various features, the cartridge format was even adapted to play Game Boy games with the Super Game Boy and Super Game Boy 2 (Japan only), which are pretty much GB hardware in a SNES cart.
-Home to some of the greatest 2D franchise entries ever.
-STILL has one of the best controller out there.
-The misunderstanding of the American market as it was given a square & purple console.

How can I access the SNES library during these modern days?

-SNES consoles are still accessible and maintenance is still minimal, however times are going fast and the capacitors in those are getting older. Intermittent problems and issues are possible the more we go forward. As for cartridges, most popular games such as Super Mario World and the likes can be bought for a fair price, however, the moment you delve into more obscure and limited games, even some still popular releases, the prices can get absurd real quick. Hope you're rich if you're looking for CIB copies nowadays.

-You can also discover the SNES library with its original cartridges in glorious HD with Analogue's Super NT, an FPGA based console that replicates the SNES perfectly in glorious 1080p! It can also backup your cart's ROM and save files on an SD card when using SmokeMonster's firmware.

super-nt-multi-color.gif

You can find the Super NT at the below link, when available.

-The SNES Classic Edition comes with two controllers and 21 included games which is ideal for anyone who'd like to have an idea of what the SNES was or anyone who wishes to taste that era again. It also includes the never-before-released Star Fox 2.

snes-box.png
SNESClassiclineup.jpg

-Nintendo offer a selection of SNES games on their Nintendo Switch Online platform. Multiplayer games can be played online with friends. The list below represents the SNES game selection as of the date this post was last edited (October 20th, 2021). All info on the link below.

NSOSNES.png

-The still-alive Wii U E-Shop also has 51 SNES games available to buy, which you can have for the price of 7.99$(USD) each.
Title[2]Publisher[2]Developer(s)[2]Release Date[2]ESRB[2]
Super Mario WorldNintendoNintendo EADApril 26, 2013E
F-ZeroNintendoNintendo EADApril 26, 2013E
Super MetroidNintendoNintendo R&D1May 15, 2013E
Super Ghouls 'n GhostsCapcomCapcomMay 16, 2013E
Kirby Super StarNintendoHAL LaboratoryMay 23, 2013E
Kirby's Dream CourseNintendoHAL LaboratoryMay 23, 2013E
Kirby's Dream Land 3NintendoHAL LaboratoryMay 23, 2013E
Mega Man XCapcomCapcomMay 30, 2013E
Vegas StakesNintendoHAL LaboratoryJune 27, 2013E
PilotwingsNintendoNintendo EADJuly 4, 2013E
EarthBoundNintendoHAL Laboratory, ApeJuly 18, 2013T
Harvest MoonNatsumeAmccusAugust 1, 2013E
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV: Wall of FireKoei TecmoKoeiAugust 8, 2013E
Street Fighter II: The World WarriorCapcomCapcomAugust 22, 2013T
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper FightingCapcomCapcomAugust 22, 2013T
Super Street Fighter II: The New ChallengersCapcomCapcomAugust 22, 2013T
Breath of Fire IICapcomCapcomSeptember 5, 2013E
Final FightCapcomCapcomOctober 3, 2013E
Final Fight 2CapcomCapcomOctober 3, 2013E10+
Final Fight 3CapcomCapcomOctober 3, 2013T
Super Castlevania IVKonamiKonamiOctober 31, 2013E10+
Uncharted Waters: New HorizonsKoei TecmoKoei TecmoNovember 14, 2013E
Brawl BrothersHamsterHamsterNovember 21, 2013E10+
Contra III: The Alien WarsKonamiKonamiNovember 28, 2013E10+
The Legend of the Mystical NinjaKonamiKonamiDecember 5, 2013E
Super Punch-Out!!NintendoNintendo IRDDecember 26, 2013E
Mega Man X2CapcomCapcomJanuary 2, 2014E
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the PastNintendoNintendo EADJanuary 30, 2014E
Street Fighter Alpha 2CapcomCapcomMay 22, 2014T
Super Mario KartNintendoNintendoAugust 6, 2014E
CybernatorKonamiKonamiAugust 7, 2014E10+
Mega Man X3CapcomMinakuchi Engineering, CapcomAugust 28, 2014E
Nobunaga's AmbitionKoei TecmoKoei TecmoSeptember 4, 2014E
Mega Man 7CapcomCapcomSeptember 12, 2014E
Wild GunsNatsumeNatsumeSeptember 18, 2014T
Castlevania: Dracula XKonamiKonamiOctober 2, 2014E
Demon's CrestCapcomCapcomOctober 30, 2014E
Natsume Championship WrestlingNatsumeNatsumeDecember 18, 2014E10+
Breath of FireCapcomCapcomFebruary 12, 2015E
AxelayKonamiKonamiFebruary 19, 2015E
Donkey Kong CountryNintendoRareFebruary 26, 2015E
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong QuestNintendoRareFebruary 26, 2015E
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!NintendoRareFebruary 26, 2015E
Metal MarinesBandai Namco EntertainmentBandai Namco EntertainmentMay 7, 2015E
Super E.D.F.: Earth Defense ForceHamsterHamsterMay 21, 2015E
Rival Turf!HamsterHamsterMay 28, 2015E10+
Pac-AttackBandai Namco EntertainmentBandai Namco EntertainmentJune 4, 2015E
Genghis Khan II: Clan of the Gray WolfKoei TecmoKoei TecmoAugust 20, 2015E10+
The Ignition FactorHamsterHamsterSeptember 24, 2015E
Pac-Man 2: The New AdventuresBandai Namco EntertainmentBandai Namco EntertainmentMarch 3, 2016E
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven StarsNintendoSquare EnixJune 30, 2016E

Is there a way to dump my SNES cartridges to enjoy those on the devices of my choice?

-As I often recommend, the Retrode is the easiest way to proceed to that goal. You plug the Retrode on your PC, cartridge in, and it'll show as a stockage device in which you'll find the ROM file of your cartridge. It is also a useful device if you wish to backup your save files in case the save battery fails, issue for which the odds are getting higher with time. You can back your save, change the battery, and drop in back to be good for another couple of decades. If you're an emulation enthusiast, you can also use it to play with original SNES controllers as it has two SNES controller ports on each sides.

RETRODEtransparent.png

The retrode can be found on the below sites, when available.

-If you do have have a Analogue Super NT with SmokeMonster's Firmware, you can use the COPYSNES feature which will dump any cart you throw at it directly on your SD card, ROM and save file!

Show your collection!

Sure, your turn!

PXL-20211021-023837941-2.jpg

Maintenance & Mods

Thanks to Mazzle, once again, for the contribution!
Controller

Rubber replacement
Even tho the SNES Controller doesn't have a control stick that destorys itself over time, it still has components which will get worse.
I'm talking about the rubber pads inside the controller, that are important for a good feel and accurate inputs.
Kaizo-Speedrunner Dode made a list about rubber replacements you can buy, easily replace and see how good they are.
Check this list out here: CLICK

A new controller
8BitDo does create some very neat modern solutions and controllers for retrogaming. They even have wireless receivers for their line of controllers, if you are sick of being all wired up. Check them out HERE

RGB

Unlike the NES or N64 your bgo standard SNES will feature RGB. For your consumer CRT television, Cinch is enough and S-Video will
already bring a huge improvement, but RGB is the king and needed for upscalers like the OSSC and RetroTINK X5.

Revisions
The SNES underwent several internal revisions. The most significant was combining the two video chips into one, which reduced the
horizontal blur but also made the picture too bright. Overall the picture quality of a 1-CHIP SNES is better (if you ask me), but if you wanna
learn more, you can read some stuff here:

2-CHIP or 1-CHIP?
But how can I check if my SNES is 1-CHIP or 2-CHIP? Well you could screw it open But if you don't have a Gamebit you can
open the expansion slot on the down side of your console and either see 3 solder bumps or some sort of ring.
If you have a ring, your console is a 1-CHIP.
SNES1CHIPPALdots-small.jpg

SNES Mini
Now... there is another revision, the so called SNES Mini, which unlike those other two also looks different from the outside.
It even has the best picture-quaulity... but you would need to mod it. More on this, here:

De-Jitter my Signal
The SNES is not known for the greates picture. Out of the box, the Genesis (or Mega Drive) has a wayyyyy better RGB signal. The SNES is even
known for a jittery signal, which can lead to TVs or upscaler not properly recognizing it and not shwoing a picture. But there is a so called de-jitter which you can install to fix this. (Does only work with NTSC consoles tho).
Here is an Installation guide for all known SNES/SFC version, made by the fantastic marqs85:

Cables

Scart
Just with the N64 I can only reccomend the great guys from RetroGamingCables from the UK with their top-quality cables.
If you can't get a grip on one of the official Nintendo GameCube RGB cables, check them out:

YPbPr
But besides them, I can also vouch for the HD Retrovision cable, which doesn't have a SCART-plug at the end, but uses YPbPr or so called Component.
It's easy to adapt to HDMI and the great thing is, this cable comes with a brightness-switch, so that your 1-CHIP SNES isn't too bright and creates vertical bars on dark pictures (not to confuse with the white vertical line, due to an old voltage regulator)

I want it all...

Original
borti4938 from SD2SNES created a board/mod for one to install you every SNES version can play every version. So PAL can play NTSC and vice versa (if you mod your slot a bit) It looks like this:

(there is also an older mod where you replace on of the quartz and sloder several wires, but who want's do this today?)

Analogue
The guys from Analogue make great products with high accuracy and if you don't have an original SNES anymore or want a pure digital signal that goes right into your TV, then you can of course use their Super NT. It is the best solution for out of the box 1080p signal with no region locking.

That's all from me. But you can dive even deeper into everything around the SNES. Like making your Super Famicom play NTSC-U cartridges, replacing the sound-chip and so much more. A great starting point is still RetroGRB or the guys from MyLifeInGaming. Check them out.

P.S.: All SNES Cartridges that have a safe function need their battery replaced to function again. So no handy list here from me. Sorry!

Youtube Section

Let's start properly with a compilation of official SNES ads shall we?

CGQ's coverage of the launch of the Super Nintendo.

Some GameSack because I love these folks.

Coverage by My Life in Gaming, awesome folks as well.

When did you get a SNES? What are your favorite games? Are you still playing with SUPER POWER? Share your most cherished memories, your best deals, emulation, everything around the SNES! It is the place for this!

----

Other FamiRetro Threads:

Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread

Nintendo 64 |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread

Retro Gaming on Switch |ST| True Preservation

Emulation Discussion Thread |ST| Reliving our Favorites through Software, Hardware, and FPGA!

Last edited:
I just watched the MLiG for the Super Scope today

And man...as someone who knew next to nothing about Battle Clash and Metal Combat before this video, the sprite work in those games looks awesome. I'm sure the games themselves are nothing to write home about but that style is My Shit.

My favorite console! What an era... I’ve been replaying a ton of snes games on my anbernic and its been such a treat.

Oh my lord, beautiful ST, @Seik.

The SNES has been my all-time favorite console since I was a kid, until the Switch.

It means so much to me that I basically have an official SNES emulator in my Switch that I had to buy two of the NSO SNES controllers.

Me and my brother's first home console gaming experiences were Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2. Those, along with Pokemon Silver Version, set the foundations for my tastes in and expectations of video games.

Every new Nintendo console pretty much has to stand up to the SNES library in my mind. Honestly, the Switch just needs a brand new 2D Mario and a few more JRPGs for it to beat the SNES library.

Oh my lord, beautiful ST, @Seik.

The SNES has been my all-time favorite console since I was a kid, until the Switch.

It means so much to me that I basically have an official SNES emulator in my Switch that I had to buy two of the NSO SNES controllers.

Me and my brother's first home console gaming experiences were Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country 2. Those, along with Pokemon Silver Version, set the foundations for my tastes in and expectations of video games.

Every new Nintendo console pretty much has to stand up to the SNES library in my mind. Honestly, the Switch just needs a brand new 2D Mario and a few more JRPGs for it to beat the SNES library.
Thanks! I can relate...I bought one NSO SNES controller so far, to use on Switch because it's really good for 2D games that can work with it, but it also works with the 8bitdo SNES receiver, so it's a real good use case for the Super NT. Hard to turn my back on this official wireless controller as it looks and feels exactly the same as an OG one.

This is definitely a favorite console of mine and I'm looking forward to eventually receiving my copy of Super NES Works Volume 1 (covering 1991) from Jeremy Parish. I enjoy seeing the SNES deep cuts on NSO so I'm happy they're going to continue that even with the Expansion Pack existing and I enjoy playing SNES games I hadn't tried before on the Evercade.

And as I mentioned in the Castlevania thread, Super Castlevania IV still holds up as a great Castlevania game and a worthy reimagining of the original Castlevania.

Good to see you here @Seik

I really love SNES, have 61 carts most of them Japanese but I've managed to cover the bulk of the library that way, plus a few repros of translated "left in Japan" JRPGs (just think they're neat), and an SD2SNES to play backups of the carts I'm missing on real hardware.

For controllers I've been increasingly into using Nintendo Switch Online controllers (one SNES and one SuFami) with 8bitdo retro receivers, but I also have an 8bitdo DIY modded Sufami pad, several other wired SuFami pads, and a bunch of arcade stick options when it makes sense.

Amazing OP. The Super Nintendo, or SNES is what made me a Nintendo fan and is still and always will be my most favourite console of all time.

Terranigma is life.

Amazing OP. The Super Nintendo, or SNES is what made me a Nintendo fan and is still and always will be my most favourite console of all time.

Terranigma is life.

Finally playing it for the first time now. Boy is it! What a gem.

Limited Run Games have finally shipped their releases of SNES game Undercover Cops.

I ordered it in about January.😂

Beautiful OP, happy to see you here Seik.

One thing I've come to understand over the years is that I just really love the SNES' dogbone controller design, both in the US variant and the variant of the rest of the world. Seeing the gifs of the variants of the Super NT was exciting to me because they all look so good, my preferred Pro Controller on the Switch is the SN30 Pro+ which is more or less a SNES controller with analogue sticks and shoulder triggers, and while the NES controller is iconic, even on that platform I thought that the top-loader controller looks really damn cool.

Are there any good games that only released in Japan that got English translations we should watch out for? I know about Bahamut and Tales of Phantasia, just wondering if there is anything else out there I should keep an eye on!

Are there any good games that only released in Japan that got English translations we should watch out for? I know about Bahamut and Tales of Phantasia, just wondering if there is anything else out there I should keep an eye on!
Ganbare Goemon 2-3-4. They all got translated fairly recently and they're all solid games, especially if you're a fan of the Mystical Ninja series. Also some of the best looking 2D games on the platform imo. The translation job is absolutely insane, they even edited the sprites to show in English.

These patches alone got me to import three complete copies.

Last edited:
Ganbare Goemon 2-3-4. They all got translated fairly recently and they're all solid games, especially if you're a fan of the Mystical Ninja series. Also some of the best looking 2D games on the platform imo. The translation job is absolutely insane, they even edited the sprites to show in English.

These patches alone got me to import three complete copies.
Awesome! Thank you!

Let me preface this by saying I love my Retrode, it is an awesome device. Just thought it should be noted that it doesn't support all SNES Carts. The cartridge slot on it is missing the out edge expansion slots. If you have a game like this
SHVC-1CB0N7S-01-pcb-front.jpg
know that you won't be able to dump them with the retrode.

There was at one point an adapter being made, but I don't think it ever became readily available.

Let me preface this by saying I love my Retrode, it is an awesome device. Just thought it should be noted that it doesn't support all SNES Carts. The cartridge slot on it is missing the out edge expansion slots. If you have a game like this
SHVC-1CB0N7S-01-pcb-front.jpg
know that you won't be able to dump them with the retrode.

There was at one point an adapter being made, but I don't think it ever became readily available.

Do you have the first Retrode or something? I must have mine since like 8+ years and it does have these pins and it does dump these kinds of cartridges.

PXL-20211023-023048023-2.jpg

It does, however, have problems with some games and it's those with the A1 chip, Super Mario RPG and Kirby Super Star. Another one was Mega Man X2 (I think, it's been too long) because of some particular Capcom security chip. If it's not X2, it's X3.

I managed to dump these later on with the Super NT via the COPYSNES feature when using SmokeMonster's firmware.

Talking about that, I will add this method in the dumping section, completely forgot about that.

Last edited:
I got mine in 2014 and it definitely doesn't have those slots on the cartridge port.

51622295949_1cffca7636_h.jpg

I...I don't know what to say. :lol

I just checked mine again and it's a 2011 unit, so it's definitely older, and Looking at the picture of the box on StoneAgeGamer and it does seem to have these extra ports too...So somewhere in the middle they removed them and they did put them back in later on I assume?

Interesting to say the least.

Yeah I got mine from Stoneage Gamer as well in early 2014. I wonder if I could desolder the connector and replace it with one with those parts. I have no idea, but I do remember on the forums that the custom firmware sprouted from, there was a thread about it not having those connectors. Some one was making a converter to connect SNES games to the genesis connector to support these.

On top of what others are saying about SNES appreciation, I just want to say how happy I am that you actually addresses how to go about dumping ROMs from cartridges. Too often do I see people using the theoretical possibility of doing so as an excuse to engage in piracy while clearly having no idea of the legitimate process itself.

Great thread! Super Nintendo might be my favorite Nintendo console. Still play plenty of Panel de Pon on my Switch. Picked up a Super Famicom controller recently, and been getting plenty of usage out of it. Just feels right!

On top of what others are saying about SNES appreciation, I just want to say how happy I am that you actually addresses how to go about dumping ROMs from cartridges. Too often do I see people using the theoretical possibility of doing so as an excuse to engage in piracy while clearly having no idea of the legitimate process itself.
Yeah it's important to me, too many often automatically connect emulation and piracy together, so I try to show that these options exist to people. :p

I like being able to dump my own roms, but I REALLY like being able to back up my game saves. I lost a few SNES ones (my FFIV with everyone at lvl 99 and basically having done everything hurts so much) and being able to save most of them was the big thing to me. At this point I've been able to back up the majority of my cartridge, CD, and DVD game collections.

Don't have any pics of my collection (I don't think I've bought any Super NES games since like... 2013?) and I've been using an SD2SNES Pro I managed to nab right before the goofy trademark dispute/name change.
My system of choice is a 101 model that was the first console I ever had and I put in the RGB mod a while ago. It looks killer, best thing I ever did with it.
image0.jpg

Controller

Rubber replacement
Even tho the SNES Controller doesn't have a control stick that destorys itself over time, it still has components which will get worse.
I'm talking about the rubber pads inside the controller, that are important for a good feel and accurate inputs.
Kaizo-Speedrunner Dode made a list about rubber replacements you can buy, easily replace and see how good they are.

A new controller
8BitDo does create some very neat modern solutions and controllers for retrogaming. They even have wireless receivers for their line of controllers, if you are sick of being all wired up. Check them out HERE

RGB

Unlike the NES or N64 your bgo standard SNES will feature RGB. For your consumer CRT television, Cinch is enough and S-Video will
already bring a huge improvement, but RGB is the king and needed for upscalers like the OSSC and RetroTINK X5.

Revisions
The SNES underwent several internal revisions. The most significant was combining the two video chips into one, which reduced the
horizontal blur but also made the picture too bright. Overall the picture quality of a 1-CHIP SNES is better (if you ask me), but if you wanna

2-CHIP or 1-CHIP?
But how can I check if my SNES is 1-CHIP or 2-CHIP? Well you could screw it open But if you don't have a Gamebit you can
open the expansion slot on the down side of your console and either see 3 solder bumps or some sort of ring.

SNES Mini
Now... there is another revision, the so called SNES Mini, which unlike those other two also looks different from the outside.
It even has the best picture-quaulity... but you would need to mod it. More on this, here:

De-Jitter my Signal
The SNES is not known for the greates picture. Out of the box, the Genesis (or Mega Drive) has a wayyyyy better RGB signal. The SNES is even
known for a jittery signal, which can lead to TVs or upscaler not properly recognizing it and not shwoing a picture. But there is a so called de-jitter which you can install to fix this. (Does only work with NTSC consoles tho).
Here is an Installation guide for all known SNES/SFC version, made by the fantastic marqs85:

Cables

Scart
Just with the N64 I can only reccomend the great guys from RetroGamingCables from the UK with their top-quality cables.
If you can't get a grip on one of the official Nintendo GameCube RGB cables, check them out:

YPbPr
But besides them, I can also vouch for the HD Retrovision cable, which doesn't have a SCART-plug at the end, but uses YPbPr or so called Component.
It's easy to adapt to HDMI and the great thing is, this cable comes with a brightness-switch, so that your 1-CHIP SNES isn't too bright and creates vertical bars on dark pictures (not to confuse with the white vertical line, due to an old voltage regulator)

I want it all...

Original
borti4938 from SD2SNES created a board/mod for one to install you every SNES version can play every version. So PAL can play NTSC and vice versa (if you mod your slot a bit) It looks like this:

(there is also an older mod where you replace on of the quartz and sloder several wires, but who want's do this today?)

Analogue
The guys from Analogue make great products with high accuracy and if you don't have an original SNES anymore or want a pure digital signal that goes right into your TV, then you can of course use their Super NT. It is the best solution for out of the box 1080p signal with no region locking.

That's all from me. But you can dive even deeper into everything around the SNES. Like making your Super Famicom play NTSC-U cartridges, replacing the sound-chip and so much more. A great starting point is still RetroGRB or the guys from MyLifeInGaming. Check them out.

P.S.: All SNES Cartridges that have a safe function need their battery replaced to function again. So no handy list here from me. Sorry!

And of course pictures of my collection:

IMG_20211025_172811.jpg

Note: EarthBound is a repo and missing is my Japanese Super mario RPG

IMG_20211025_171536.jpg

Controller

Rubber replacement

A new controller

RGB

Revisions

2-CHIP or 1-CHIP?

SNES Mini

De-Jitter my Signal

Cables

Scart

YPbPr

I want it all...

Original

Analogue

Thanks a ton for this, added it to the OP, apologies for being so late. I was away these days and didn't really have time to edit my OP. :D

Out of hype for the Analogue Pocket I've been playing some classics on the Super Nt, god this thing does such a good job with those SNES carts.

Super Ghouls & Ghosts, Pocky & Rocky were in that session and also started a new Yoshi's Island game to progress on through the holidays. Very tempted to start Chrono Trigger over too, it's been too long.

Any SNES games you folks gonna be playing during the holiday season?

I have fired up the Super NT for some good old Puyo Puyo fun. Also because of the Analogue Pocket.

Wow, that's a beautiful sight! Are these all complete?

In any case, freaking great collection!
Yup! All complete! I never got rid of my NES and SNES collection. Although my NES collection is just carts.

Back
Top Bottom