• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Emulation Discussion Thread |ST| Reliving our Favorites through Software, Hardware, and FPGA!

Costa

[Romancing]
Pronouns
He/Him/They
nqD0i4Q.png

(Alternative subtitle: You must delete your ROMs 24 hours later)

Welcome FamiRetro! Here we can discuss emulation of all sorts! From software emulation, to our favourite handhelds, and to FPGA solutions such as Analogue products and MiSTer. There's an absurd amount of ways to play our favourite games!

Please respect the rules of Famiboards! We’re here to discuss different emulators, new emulation products, and development on products & projects such as MiSTer. This is not a space to make bigoted or gross comments. And, despite the subject matter, this is not a space to share pirated content or linking to illegal sources.

However, this is also not a space to discuss the morality of piracy. It is acceptable for people to be discussing about pirated content, such as ROM images, in this space (within reason). It is not acceptable to be finger waving or policing people about such pirated content. If you wish to discuss the morality of piracy, then you should make a new topic.

That said, the official stance from Famiboard's on Piracy can be found here.

Ow0Freb.png

When NESticle, one of the most easily accessible NES emulators of the 90s with a… choice of a name, became widespread in use, our approach to retro games completely changed. From there a suite of features are now expected in any emulator that releases today: screenshots, input recorders, netplay, save states, rewind, frame skipping… and even memory watchers so you can change game values live!

All of these wouldn’t be possible for retro games without software emulators and the dedicated developers who have spent many years creating & maintaining emulators. There are literally hundreds of emulators out there to try out. For the NES alone you have the likes of Mesen, Jnes, NEStopia, FCEUX and many more. And then you have the multi-system emulators like higan, RetroArch, and BizHawk which can play all sorts of systems with their own set of features.

Emulators for newer generations of games exist as well, all the way up the Switch! These emulators tend to have enhancements and resolution scaling features as well, allowing you to play your favourites like Super Mario 64 in 60 FPS at a 4K resolution, HD texture packs galore. Just as Miyamoto intended!

All jokes aside, there’s just so many benefits to playing retro games through software emulation, thanks to their accessibility and the ability to make tough-as-nails games such as Ninja Gaiden much easier to play through with the use of save states and rewind. And that’s not even getting into things such as ROM hacks and fan translations! Emulators have really paved the way to make all of our favourite classics so much more than just games, they have allowed us to continue to experience our favourites in all new ways.

Some emulators you can check out:
  • Mesen — NES; includes fun features such as HD Packs
  • bsnes-hd — SNES; includes features like HD Mode-7 and overclocking
  • Dolphin — GCN+Wii; THE standard for modern console emulation
  • Duckstation — PSX; a relatively new emulator with loads of features
  • PPSSPP — PSP; so many games trapped on PSP made accessible
  • MAME — A rather complicated emulator but the best way to play Arcade classics

Of course, it goes without saying, but the more modern a console you are trying to emulate, the more exponential power you’ll need for a computer to be able to run such games. But if you have the means, it’s definitely worth trying your favourites at 4K resolutions.

But if you don’t care too much about power, there are more dedicated and convenient ways to play some of your favourite games.

DDErBVM.png

While software emulation tends to have a high degree of accuracy while offering more esoteric features, there’s no better feeling than just sitting down on your couch after a long day of work and just pushing a button to make the game go. And there’s where hardware solutions come in!

Of course, hardware emulators include official solutions such as Nintendo’s very own NES Classic Edition, SNES Classic Edition, Game & Watches… as well as SEGA and Playstation’s own mini consoles. But while those are fun to have and show off, that’s not what we’re really here for.

While console clones such as RetroNs and the like have been around forever, multisystem hardware solutions like the Raspberry Pi have really made the idea of “How do I play Super Nintendo and then Genesis without getting up?” appealing and widespread in use. There’s now whole RasPi distros like RetroPie basically giving an easy all-in-one access to playing basically anything you want, from Atari 2600 to the Dreamcast.

One popular idea for people was to take GameBoy shells and stick a Raspberry Pi in them to have a very capable portable solution to playing your games. However, this required tools & skills that the average person wouldn’t have easy access to. And while there’s a whole slew of accessories that you can purchase for an easy drop-in solution, a new kind of economy popped up…

From there, portable gaming has come into play. They tend to be cheap to buy, very accessible, and have a lot of potential for customization. Between Anbernic, PowKiddy, and Retroid, it is currently a cutthroat marketplace with a race to have the cheapest & most powerful portable possible. The past year has unfortunately led to a bit of a stagnation in innovation with most of these handhelds not being able to play beyond PSX (thanks to the dreaded RK3326 CPU refusing to die). But, there’s still a lot of potential in this space.

On the other end, there are portables such as the GPD Win and the Steam Deck. However, while you can definitely load your favourite emulators on them, they are meant to be for general-purpose gaming and not really an all-in-one solution for retro games (not to mention, very pricey!).

On that note, there is one last (and very exciting, IMO) avenue for emulation.

Oc18QKk.png

Standing for Field-Programmable Gate Array, it is a relatively new solution for game emulation. In essence, FPGA is intended for developers to recreate CPUs and computer hardware for testing purposes. Once FPGA became more accessible, people figured out that they can be programmed to essentially recreate retro computers & consoles within the limits of the FPGA board.

And through FPGA, there are some products and devices that give you near-zero input latency while being able to display to an HDTV (or CRT TV!) while either loading ROMs or using actual physical carts to play. It is a fantastic plug-and-play solution to playing retro games!

Analogue is one of few companies to make use of FPGA in commercial products in such a way. They have branded themselves as being the modern solution to retro gaming. Starting with their Nt Mini (which is permanently out of stock; why not check out the RetroUSB AVS as an alternative?), NES games on an HDTV have never looked or played so good!

Their products (when in stock) range from the Super NT, Mega SG, the DAC (which allows you to use your Analogue consoles on a CRT TV) and related accessories for those consoles. Their upcoming lineup includes the very sought-after Pocket (for all the portable games; and will definitely release by the end of 2021… maybe) and the Duo (for the PC-Engine fans out there).

While the company may try to claim FPGA is not (or better than) emulation, that’s not inherently true! It is a different kind of emulation, a more bare-metal-hardware than software kind, and programming an FPGA device still requires skilled programmers. But despite the gripes people may have with Analogue themselves, it is very hard to deny that their products are high quality and excel with what they provide. Then of course, there’s jailbreaks that you can very easily install on your Analogue console that opens up some very nice features, such as save backups, enabling cheat codes, and our favourite: loading ROM backups off the SD card.

There is also a community-driven alternative to Analogue’s products that, while expensive to get into, can really open your eyes to all the value FPGA really brings to emulation.

Say hello to the MiSTer Project! Not explicitly a console or specifically made for FPGA emulation, the heart of the MiSTer is the DE10-Nano Development Kit. At some point, some very smart people wanted to have extremely accurate versions of the Commodore A[Mi]ga and the Atari [ST] that started out as the MiST project which exploded into a whole community with the MiSTer for general purpose FPGA games emulation.

There’s not exactly a single definitive place for all of your MiSTer news and goods because it is very much community driven across multiple hubs. Dozens of people in the retro games community have their fingers in the MiSTer pie, so to say. From sharing news, maintaining one of many GitHubs, creating tons of different cores (which are the different consoles, computers, and arcade boards that allow you to play your games), and of course selling MiSTer addons.

In the last year especially, development on the MiSTer has exploded! It was once thought to be impossible but we are slowly and slowly getting close to seeing the PSX and the Sega Saturn become playable on the MiSTer. And that wouldn’t be the case without talented developers such as FPGAzumSpass and Sergey Dvodnenko. And let's not forget jotego as well, who has been porting an absurd amount of arcade boards such as Capcom’s CPS-1 & CPS-2 to MiSTer. It’s been an exciting time!

FPGA is fantastic for playing your actual physical cartridges in the modern age, without worrying about console hardware mods, or latency from converting 240p images to 4K, or having to keep all of your old consoles still hooked up & taking space on the TV bench… instead, you can have a modern, tinier version of that console! Or perhaps a metallic box that just has all of your games ever, hidden behind the TV. Or maybe you have space for a good ol’ CRT to make use of that shiny metallic box. There is so much potential for FPGA to grow right now which makes it a very exciting time for retro games!

RkyWT50.png

With that, FamiRetro, please share your favourite ways to play games through emulation!

(For any input or additional content to add to this post, please either post in the tread while pinging me or PM me directly!)

Last edited:
dfHlJjX.png

Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik
Super Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik
Nintendo 64 |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread by Seik
Retro Gaming on Switch |ST| True Preservation by tolkir

(Please PM me if I missed any threads or a new one pops up related to retro gaming!)

wOmqe30.png

Recommended Nintendo Emulators
  • The Emulator Zone — For some reason, it is my go-to for emulators for the past 20 years
  • Mesen — NES emulator with many fantastic features
  • bsnes-hd — SNES emulator, highly accurate and great features
  • Dolphin — The best way to experience GCN and Wii games
  • Cemu — A Wii U emulator quickly preserving the failed console forever
  • mGBA — GBA emulator that is highly accurate & feature-filled (with compatibility with Dolphin for GCN to GBA connectivity, eReader cards, etc)

Raspberry Pi — And the RetroPie distro

Handhelds & Other Products

MiSTer Project

Retro RGB — General Retro Gaming news (and a big proponent of MiSTer)

Romhacking.net — Amazing resource for all sorts of tools, hacks, and translations for ROMs

8bitdo — Sells classic-inspired controllers for both PC and mobile; as well as adapters for various retro consoles

The Sinden Lightgun — Works on many emulators & MiSTer

Fun GB/GBC ROM Hacks And How To Apply Them Online

Super Mario World Widescreen

Virtual Boy 3D Emulation — To experience the Virtual Boy in all of its glory using Google Cardboard/Daydream/Gear VR!

DC0Upo2.png

A great case for why emulation is important & here to stay (with a dash of absurdist humour)

History on N64 Emulation with UltraHLE (MVG does tons of videos on emulation which are all good too)

FPGAzumSpass's technical video on PSX's GPU, really interesting to see

RMC's MiSTer Multisystem Launch FAQ, lots of information on this particular board

The current state of emulation on Android-based devices (Taki does tons of reviews on portables in general; check 'em out!)

(For any input or additional content to add to this post, please either post in the tread while pinging me or PM me directly!)

Last edited:
(Reserved)

(Please share your recent purchases, set-ups, cool custom mods, and whatever content related to emulation and I will share here!)

Last edited:
Great thread and very well done!

BTW there also is Retro USB's AVS as for FPGA consoles.

Last edited:
Great thread, and one I'm excited to see. I've been following the emulation handheld scene since last year, waiting for the next generation after RK3326 to jump in. We're finally getting to that point and I'm wondering which console will get me to jump into the scene for real.

The Retroid Pocket 2+ seems promising for the price, though the Pocket 3 could be a bigger jump forward. I also wonder how the next Ambernic devices will turn out. People generally love those, but all of their RK3326 devices had some level of compromise.

I've also considered jumping into the Analogue devices, but I don't have enough cartridges to really make it worth it. Maybe with the jailbreak, but I suppose I could instead one day dive into the MiSTer for that and get an all in one experience, plus a fun tinkering project.

For anyone curious about emulation devices (with a large handheld focus), I recommend checking out Retro Game Corps - lots of tutorials and reviews, a good compliment to Taki Udon.

Amazing thread, very well thought and done. I'm following it.

Now that i'm using a laptop as my daily driver i'm looking into getting back to emulation (The raspberry pi 4 has been unsatisfactory so far, or maybe i just expected too much) and i have neither the space nor the money to support original retro hardware, so i'm putting my eyes on the emulation scene again.

I'm putting this on watch.

I'm deep into this, both on the MiSTer and Anbernic handheld front. There's probably never been a better time for the scene, the FPGA versions of the 8 and 16 but consoles are in incredibly good shape and very accurate. Meanwhile the handhelds are increasingly powerful and consumer friendly. If the MiSTer is an expensive hi-fi, the handhelds are more MP3 players, less accurate but more convenient.

Mednafan/Beetle Core remains one of my favorite emulators on the PS1 scene in regards to accuracy and close to 1:1 emulation as you can get. Definitely best to use the core, as setting up the individual application has it's own set of headaches.

That said, I have heard nothing but good things about Duckstation in terms of lower powered emulation. While not anywhere near as cycle accurate, it's still a good emulate to generally enjoy games with machines that just can't run Mednafan/Beetle Core for one reason or another.

My Ambernic RG351MP was delivered 3 days ago and this thing weigh like a brick.
I love this device honestly even with some quirks cause by Ambernic cheap out some component.

My Ambernic RG351MP was delivered 3 days ago and this thing weigh like a brick.
I love this device honestly even with some quirks cause by Ambernic cheap out some component.
Have you updated the firmware? I have the RG351V and 351Elec is a huge improvement over the stock. I don't think that supports the MP yet but I think ArkOS does.

Have you updated the firmware? I have the RG351V and 351Elec is a huge improvement over the stock. I don't think that supports the MP yet but I think ArkOS does.
351Elec on MP is in beta. But it usable and ArkOS is like a maze to navigate haha.

I really wish PS2 BC was in a much better state than it is, GameCube/Wii emulation is so ridiculously, but unfortunately PS2 is really lagging behind that (and that's ignoring OG Xbox emulation). I have a bunch of PS2 games, all backed up to my PC, but over half of them have a number of issues in PCSX2. The big update from last year improved so much, but still it's not just quite there...

Thanks for the replies all! Was my first ST of any kind so was a bit nervous, hah. Will try to keep the write-up in the ST updated as new developments go by, to keep it a current and accurate source.

My current emulation obsession has been trying to figure out the best way to play N64 games using the new Nintendo Switch N64 Bluetooth controller, while making use of the Angrylion video plugin. N64 has always been in a bit of a stagnate state but Angrylion really seems to have moved the needle on that front which is exciting to see!

Great thread and very well done!

BTW there also is Retro USB's AVS as for FPGA consoles.

Ahh, not sure how I've missed this! Especially since I thought I've caught up to all of MLiG's videos, hah. This is a pretty enticing alternative to the Nt Noir; updated the first two posts to reference and link to it, thanks!

Amazing thread, very well thought and done. I'm following it.

Now that i'm using a laptop as my daily driver i'm looking into getting back to emulation (The raspberry pi 4 has been unsatisfactory so far, or maybe i just expected too much) and i have neither the space nor the money to support original retro hardware, so i'm putting my eyes on the emulation scene again.

I'm putting this on watch.

Thanks! That's too bad about the RasPi 4, though sometimes you can get really unlucky with how the CPUs on the RasPis can handle things. Luckily even lower-end laptops can run Dolphin pretty decently these days, and definitely older consoles than GCN in general.

I really wish PS2 BC was in a much better state than it is, GameCube/Wii emulation is so ridiculously, but unfortunately PS2 is really lagging behind that (and that's ignoring OG Xbox emulation). I have a bunch of PS2 games, all backed up to my PC, but over half of them have a number of issues in PCSX2. The big update from last year improved so much, but still it's not just quite there...

I know what you mean! I checked out PCSX2 a couple years ago to play Silent Hill 2 & 3 again, which worked decently at the time (though now we have the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition which is absolutely the best way to play SH2). But it seemed like it was still a long ways away from being the Dolphin of PS2 emulation. That's too bad to hear that there's still more to do on that front; it's hard to believe that RPCS3 has basically matched it (or even excelled, now that MGS4 is running on it) in terms of compatibility & features.

Ahh, not sure how I've missed this! Especially since I thought I've caught up to all of MLiG's videos, hah. This is a pretty enticing alternative to the Nt Noir; updated the first two posts to reference and link to it, thanks!
I love it, it's a pretty solid device, the only downside versus the Nt to me is that it's 720p instead of 1080p, which isn't that big of a deal, and you don't have all the cores the Nt can play (when hacked), just NES.

Otherwise the AVS is so much cheaper that it didn't take long for me to choose it for my setup. I like that it still sports an NES-like look, too.

Last edited:
Thanks! That's too bad about the RasPi 4, though sometimes you can get really unlucky with how the CPUs on the RasPis can handle things. Luckily even lower-end laptops can run Dolphin pretty decently these days, and definitely older consoles than GCN in general.
Thankfully, i got a Ryzen 3500U laptop, so i trust it will be able to handle quite a few machines.

Was into the Mister for SNES games. The quality was really good, really liked the scanlines. Way better then the Switch NSO version. But then, it's far more convenient to have everything on my Switch (including savestates) so I dropped it again.

Great thread!!
I just gotta say that PPSSPP is one of the best emulators out there and the best Android emulator I've ever played. It's so well optimized.

Any thoughts on Citra and what you think is the best 3ds emulator?
Citra is great, especially nowadays. It's still kind of a power hog because I'm still having a hard time running Kid Icarus Uprising and Star Fox 64 3D with a Ryzen 5600X. It's pretty damn close though, as I'm running them at like 95% speed. Otherwise most games are running great, I did Metroid Samus Returns on it entirely and it was a great experience.

I'm guessing Citra isn't great on Macs yet / never will be? I need to move to PC at some point so that when my 3DS inevitably dies I can keep playing that backlog (and look into making it prettier).

I just tested Citra and my 3500U seems to not be enough yet? At least on the games i dumped and tried.

That said, i have a question: Do you guys have a controller to rule them all or try to use controller that fit the console in question?

N64 is my white whale when it comes to emulation because for a long time controllers with 6 front buttons and a stick have been so rare...

I just tested Citra and my 3500U seems to not be enough yet? At least on the games i dumped and tried.

That said, i have a question: Do you guys have a controller to rule them all or try to use controller that fit the console in question?

N64 is my white whale when it comes to emulation because for a long time controllers with 6 front buttons and a stick have been so rare...
I was hoping there would be a way to use the new N64 controller on Wii but there doesn’t seem to be 😭

I doubt many would agree with me on this but I can't think of any controller that's better for emulation than the Steam Controller. It can take a bit of setup to get perfect, but when you finally do it's really unmatched. The base button layout works great for standard controller setups like SNES, PS1, etc but it's also got analog dual stage triggers for Gamecube emulation and gyro for emulating the Wii/Wii U/Switch's motion controls. The right trackpad can even be setup to act as a 1:1 input for the DS/3DS's touchscreen or can be segmented as buttons for N64's c buttons, the Z or C buttons for Megadrive/Saturn or even a full on face button replacement which works incredibly well with high haptic settings. If you can imagine a controller it can probably be emulated pretty faithfully on the Steam Controller. The only thing it can't do is mimic the pressure sensitive face buttons of the PS2/3 controller but even that could be worked around easily enough.

I also find using the original N64 controller to be pretty good for emulation. It's essentially got a 6 button layout with both a diamond layout and 2 button layout built in. Which covers basically all bases, from Sega stuff, to SNES or 2 face button systems like NES or GBA. The lack of a Select button is a bit of an issue but that's easy enough to map to a spare button like Z anyway.

Beautiful thread! Emulation allows me to revisit the best games I've ever played, and I thank dog every day for my various computers over the years that have seen me through like, at least ten moves across the US. 😂

Honestly, a good X360/XONE wired setup on PC has rewarded me for what feels like a decade. :LOL: They're certainly not mechanically the best but support for them feels damn near universal at this point.

Gamecube was a nightmare for the longest time for me, but then USB support and good replicas seemed to explode overnight. (Love that I still play Smash Ultimate with a GC controller 😆 )

The good old Xbox One controller does a great work to me. When playing fighters I just go in with my trusty old Hori HRAP V3.

Generally, I just use my SN30 Pro. Got all the inputs I need for the games I play, and a nice shape to boot. That being said, I don't play too many consoles that require 6 buttons. I'd probably get a specific controller for that if I wanted N64, Genesis, Saturn and the like.

Perhaps the BrawlerGen by RetroFighters could fit that need, if not a N64 style controller?

Great thread!!
I just gotta say that PPSSPP is one of the best emulators out there and the best Android emulator I've ever played. It's so well optimized.
Yeah PPSSPP is great! It's an emulator I've gladly chipped in some money for, good work deserves payment. I've actually played it a ton on Android; like 6 years ago I played through the entirety of Birth by Sleep on my Nvidia Shield handheld with very few issues. There's some magic going on with PPSSPP that few other emulators from that generation can match (Dolphin being the only other one hah). I think even lower-end Android devices could play through most PSP games on 1x resolution scaling these days. I recently downloaded it on PC to check out the Digimon games and man, with 8x scaling, color correction, and AA those games look real good on the 4K TV.

Although, on an adjacent tangent, I don't think I've bothered with DS emulation on PC at all ever since I found DraStic on Android. To the point that I just use Bluestacks now to run DraStic instead of the other DS emulators. I really wish that dev ported it to PC as I'd gladly pay for it there if that's the issue. DraStic just works perfectly with every game I've tried, when before DraStic the DS emulators on PC tended to have graphical issues or sound issues on every game I've tried. I don't know the current state of DS emulators now on PC but considering Bluestacks has controller support now I don't even feel like checking hah. Though the idea of running an emulator inside of an emulator does not escape me hah.

Any thoughts on Citra and what you think is the best 3ds emulator?

As far as I'm aware, Citra is the only 3DS emulator that is in active development. But yeah as mentioned it is a power hog, I think the most graphical intensive 3DS games will have some slowdown on even the beefiest computers; still lots of development on that front that needs to be done.

For controllers I tend to just use my Xbox One controller, though for 2D games like SNES I will opt to use the Nintendo Switch SNES controller. 8bitdo have several adapters that work with all of the Switch controllers (sans the N64 and Genesis... currently). I love using my SNES controller with the SNES receiver on my Super NT :D

I have recently found a fork of BetterJoy that allows you to use the new N64 controller on PC natively. I haven't had too much time to test around with it but using it with mupen64 have have some really good results! Not quite sure if it's 100% feeling like a regular N64 controller but it's close!

Taki Udon has uploaded a video about a new PS2 emulator coming for Android which is looking very promising!

Currently it is in Alpha but a Beta version is coming out for public release soon.

On that note, I've looked up PSCX2's compatibility list and the Playable at over 97% is certiantly a lot higher than when I last checked it hah. Though Perfect being near zero is a bit disappointing, it looks to be mostly minor issues anyway. I will have to check out the latest versions and see how much things have improved...

On the MiSTer front, we are getting ever so enticingly close to the PSX core...

What are the best options for Virtual Boy? Can the Wii Emulate it?

I did see someone built a iPhone VB emulator which works with Google Cardboard but unfortunately you need a MacBook to use it and I only have PC 😩

You all really should check out PrimeHack if you have a chance- playing with mouse lock on and aiming is fucking incredible with how snappy everything is.

Last edited:
What are the best options for Virtual Boy? Can the Wii Emulate it?

I did see someone built a iPhone VB emulator which works with Google Cardboard but unfortunately you need a MacBook to use it and I only have PC 😩
Mednafen might be your best bet for a Virtual Boy emulator, as it claims 100% compatibility with all commercial games. I've used the Mednafen core on RetroArc before and that 100% compatibility seemed accurate!

That reminds me, I actually manage to get a similar set-up to run on my Android phone using the Google Daydream headset; honestly probably the most accessible way to experience VB in 3D in this day and age!

I was recently thinking back about Deadly Premonition and the thought of 2 came up, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried that game in emulation yet?
I remember 2 receiving a two or three patches which changed a handful of things, but I have no idea what the frame-rate actually does with those patches and I'm curious if emulation somehow improves the issues the game has (including the resolution). Honestly, I do want to return to the game, but the actual performance is absolutely bonkers...

Love that this thread is up! I have an rg351mp and have been playing nonstop since I got it. Replayed so many classics, and so many new games. I also built a retropie and hooked up an 8bitdo arcade stick to it for arcade games on the projector. Love it!

Back is September i got a gaming laptop with an RTX 3050 GPU. It´s not the best i know (eventually i found out anyway) but for my emulation purposes has worked wonders!! rocking that Retroarch good, although at first it was a royal pain in the ass to set it up, but now everything runs great.

Retroachievements make everything 100% better, like a hot, sweet white chocolate on christmas morning.

Speaking of retroachievements, they don´t want to work with the Yabause emulator for some reason , I could never get Beetle to work and i know Yabause is supported by RA, I don´t know what im doing wrong, all the RA of other consoles work without issues.

Also i was never able to make PCSX2 to work in Retroarch, but the stand alone emulator works fine.

We got the first official trailer for Ambernic's next gen handheld: the RG552, rocking the RK3399 chip.

Preorders should be up soon, but I wonder what the price will be. We got a low cost option in the Retroid Pocket 2+ and higher priced options in things like Odin and the Steam Deck. Ambernic is pretty loved for its build quality, but hopefully this comes in at a good cost/performance split. I'm glad the next gen is in - been holding out all through the RK3326 era and I really wanna jump into the scene.

Playstation is now fully working on the DE10-NANO board (although not on the MiSTer framework so you'll need another SD card to try it):

Exciting times

I was recently thinking back about Deadly Premonition and the thought of 2 came up, and I'm curious if anyone here has tried that game in emulation yet?
I remember 2 receiving a two or three patches which changed a handful of things, but I have no idea what the frame-rate actually does with those patches and I'm curious if emulation somehow improves the issues the game has (including the resolution). Honestly, I do want to return to the game, but the actual performance is absolutely bonkers...
Not too bad, in the sense of...better than OG hardware, based on this video. :lol

Ambernic's made another video covering the specs and features of the RG552, with preorders on their stores going up on December 6th:

It seems promising - 4 GB RAM, the RK3399 chip, dual booting to Android and Linux, two batteries, HDMI out and Wi-Fi, fast charging support, 1920x1152p touchscreen - but I still wonder about the price. Preorders went up on Droix, and while they charge markups on their stuff (apparently), it was still listed at around 250 bucks. That is expensive - you're competing with the Odin, let alone the Switch itself. It sounds like the Retroid Pocket 2+ will be this generation's entry level option...

...unfortunately, the RP2+ seems to have its own issues, if Taki's video is anything to go by. The buttons seem improved but even the revised D-Pad doesn't sound great.

The beginning of this generation gives me a real "wait and see" kind of feeling.

$227 for the RG552? That is very expensive. The older Ambernic devices usually had a good balance of quality and affordability, given their reception, but this is going right for the premium price point, close to Odin. Kind of kills the appeal for me, to be honest? I guess there's only so much you can realistically do given scale and price.

Yeah in my experience, once new generations of devices come out, prices start to go up. I didn't think the race to cheapest devices for these would last. Unfortunately I'm a little dubious how much more power these new devices will have, though the Linux support is nice and means something like RetroPie might get ported to them.

In Analogue news, I think most people interested in the Pocket know that they'll start shipping really soon. Looking forward to it for sure; I'll make sure to post impressions people have from the usual sources.

In Analogue news, I think most people interested in the Pocket know that they'll start shipping really soon. Looking forward to it for sure; I'll make sure to post impressions people have from the usual sources.
I've never purchased an Analogue device before - I never had enough carts to justify them - but I actually do have a decent GB/GBA collection. I missed the preorders but if the device is well received, I may get it.

And then I'll get the other systems and a flash cart because I've lost control of my life. One day...

I've updated the ST to link to the Famiboard's official rules on piracy so that it can be easily referenced.

On the Analogue Pocket news front, looks like images of a review unit have been leaked.

December 13th is when the embargo lifts so we will be seeing more images and perhaps even videos coming soon...

Taki Udon has his hands on the new Anbernic RG552, mostly focusing on the Linux firmware:

Not very positive on the software end of it itself, I appreciate that he always seems to be unbiased in his reviews. We'll have to see his review on the Android software but my take is that this new generation of handhelds should be a "wait & see" situation for better software performance. And I agree heavily with his criticism that it shouldn't be up to hobbyist developers to fix these for the community.

Back
Top Bottom