• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Review Prediction Thread

Predict Super Mario Bros. Wonder's Review Score!

• 96+

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 91-95

Votes: 188 54.8%
  • 86-90

Votes: 129 37.6%
  • 81-85

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 76-80

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 75 or less

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You don’t know he played the game. You defending someone who loves to make stuff up. Mario Wonder isn’t a smaller experience. It’s not a $30-$40 game.
based on his word sure
Sure he could be lying. But the How Long to Beat website also lines up with what they've said. A game's price doesn't determine its length.

I'm not sure I can think of many 2D platformers that take longer than 20 hours to 100%.

I'm not sure how "new 2D Mario game is around the same length as other 2D Mario games" is noteworthy. Y'all are weird.
ikr? 15 hours seems roughly in line with what I expect for a 2D Mario game. I'm still getting the game, those 15 hours is gonna be fun-filled from start to end. If I play beyond 15 hours, that's a bonus.

Not to mention Mario games have high replayability value, I'm not going to play it only once. I did like 3 full runs through SMO, but spread out with time between during the Switch's lifecycle, similar to how I did 3 different BOTW runs.

Sure he could be lying. But the How Long to Beat website also lines up with what they've said. A game's price doesn't determine its length.

There is nothing wrong with the game being quite short compared to modern days standard but it’s just a bit frustrating

There is nothing wrong with the game being quite short compared to modern days standard but it’s just a bit frustrating
Right, that's all I'm saying (whether you're truthful or not). $60 games don't have to be 20+ hours long, but it's also okay for someone to be disappointed in that.

The same discourse every time Nintendo releases a 2D game... it was the same for Metroid Dread and it has to stop.

I get that one user’s word isn’t exactly the most reliable source of information, but it also seems a bit silly to jump in and defend a game that most of us haven’t even played yet.

Game length, just like pretty much every other aspect of a game, is subjective. If someone wishes a game was longer, there’s nothing wrong with that, just like how there’s nothing wrong with wishing a game was shorter.

10 hours is totally acceptable to me for a 60 dollar game. Especially if it's a game I'll replay over and over, which Mario Wonder likely will be.

HLTB is also being inflated right now by people rushing to beat the game to show all the content. It's not that important to obsess over it.

I don't question how long the guy took to beat the game, but there's so little data at this point on the How Long to Beat website that it's useless for gauging how long the game will take on average for most people. The game has been unofficially available for so little time at this point that the estimated hour count will be biased in favor of the people who beat it the fastest while slower players are likely still working through it.

I don't question how long the guy took to beat the game, but there's so little data at this point on the How Long to Beat website that it's useless for gauging how long the game will take on average for most people. The game has been unofficially available for so little time at this point that the estimated hour count will be biased in favor of the people who beat it the fastest.
Sure, we just have not much to pull from otherwise at the moment. Thankfully we'll (probably?) have a better idea in less then a day assuming reviews drop tomorrow morning.

I'm excited to play regardless of the length, really. RE is my favorite series and the universally agreed upon worst installment of the franchise is the one that's 20+ hours long. On the flip side, people were really disappointed by how short RE3 Remake was. But I still enjoyed that game.

I don't question how long the guy took to beat the game, but there's so little data at this point on the How Long to Beat website that it's useless for gauging how long the game will take on average for most people. The game has been unofficially available for so little time at this point that the estimated hour count will be biased in favor of the people who beat it the fastest.

I didn’t see that only one person posted that’s why I reposted because it matched my experience, but everyone will be able to make their own opinion soon

There are tons of bad short games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Minish Cap, Zero Mission, every RE game etc. It's disappointing to see Super Mario Bros. Wonder succumb to this. I was expecting it to take 7 business days for me to complete, and now it will only take 3 business days.

based on the same website for the new super Mario bros games

DS: 18 hours
wii: 20 hours
2: 20 hours
u. 24 hours
u delux: 29 hours
I see, so U was longer. Deluxe's length isn't surprising considering they packaged the Luigi game with it. But if Wonder takes 15-20 hours to 100%, I'm not gonna consider it a lesser game.

There are tons of bad short games like Super Mario Bros. 3, Minish Cap, Zero Mission, every RE game etc. It's disappointing to see Super Mario Bros. Wonder succumb to this. I was expecting it to take 7 business days for me to complete, and now it will only take 3 business days.
If the game takes longer to ship than it takes to beat, it ain’t worth it.

I mean saying this is just a disservice to the Miles game which is also great. Miles and MW can be smaller experiences while still being full games.
I felt like Miles was a scam. That was a $20 DLC to me and I can't believe it was passed off as a full game, so I'll be averse to comparing any full release to Miles.

Super Mario Bros 3 was widely regarded as one of all-time greats. Sold 17 million worldwide. The game is shown on HLTB as only having 6 hours for completionist.

I didn't realize it was only 6 hours, and I also don't recall ever feeling like the game was short either. I'm sure we'll be fine with the
15 hour
figure being thrown around.

I felt like Miles was a scam. That was a $20 DLC to me and I can't believe it was passed off as a full game, so I'll be averse to comparing any full release to Miles.
Well, if you believe Miles was a DLC that got away with being repackaged as a full game, then I don't see why you think it'd be ridiculous for it to happen with another game.

Metroid Dread took less time to 100% than Mario Wonder's purported time. The joy of these games lies, in part, with improving your skills on future replays. I fully intend to try a bunch of different badge combinations for the fun of it.

No shit this game is gonna be shorter than NSMBU if you're not being yeeted out to the level select every time you die ☠️

Well, if you believe Miles was a DLC that got away with being repackaged as a full game, then I don't see why you think it'd be ridiculous for it to happen with another game.
Mario Wonder, from the devs own mouth, has everything from the look, sound, and design of pretty much everything build from scratch. It is objectively ridiculous to treat it as a glorified DLC (of what exactly?).

It took one people opinion (that convieniently legally got the game early) to completely shift this thread's tone. It's ridiculous.

It is. I played the game and I finished it in 8 hours, and I’m 90% at 12-13 hours so it’s legit. And that’s without rushing or playing all day, since I played co-op with my girl with not high skills playing *

I'm very excited to hear this character is playable, but I didn't know they were so please consider marking it as a spoiler. My fault partially for coming in this thread but people have been really good about marking spoilers for game details in here otherwise.

Edit: my apologies, see my correction below.

Mario Wonder, from the devs own mouth, has everything from the look, sound, and design of pretty much everything build from scratch. It is objectively ridiculous to treat it as a glorified DLC (of what exactly?).

It took one people opinion (that convieniently legally got the game early) to completely shift this thread's tone. It's ridiculous.
Well yeah that's exactly my point. Miles isn't a glorified DLC and this sure isn't either. It's ridiculous to claim either of those to be.

The bigger point is I'm just defending the idea that a game's length shouldn't define its worth as my own personal belief. But if people are bummed by this being shorter than they expected, it's fair.

Last edited:
I'm very excited to hear this character is playable, but I didn't know they were so please consider marking it as a spoiler. My fault partially for coming in this thread but people have been really good about marking spoilers for game details in here otherwise.
Said character has been all over marketing materials, including the game-specific Direct. I get that something from a leak could be considered a spoiler, but this comes from Nintendo themselves.

Said character has been all over marketing materials, including the game-specific Direct. I get that something from a leak could be considered a spoiler, but this comes from Nintendo themselves.
I gotcha. I take it back then, sorry @P4bl0 . I've been on media blackout since the first trailer so I wasn't sure if it'd be a spoiler. Thanks for correcting me.

Really not vibing with the “appetizer” and “DLC” comments in here. Ducking out

Don't really care how long the game is as long as it's fun to replay.

I've completed Mario World like 10+ times over my life, I'll be happy if Wonder can be the same for me.

Can’t believe Nintendo got away with releasing 2 glorified dlc as their big games of the year and nobody bats an eye.

I think we should calculate the amount of how to beat a game in Miles Morales.

Tears of the Kingdom is around 20 Miles Morales.
Metroid Dread is 0.3 Miles Morales.

Clearly, Dread should’ve been a 20 bucks game because it’s way too short. It’s not even a whole Miles Morales, more like a Mil. Silly Samus !

Reading through the last couple pages, my takeaway is that nobody can really say yet how long this game will take to 100%. We've got two data points and as others have said, thousands of people will submit their times over the coming months. I'm also going to say, this conversation will soon be rendered meaningless, much like the hype and fanxiety (copping to it myself here) that surround the release of 3DW and the "8.5 hours, fairly easy" narrative that initially emerged pre-release and ended up being somewhere between IMO irrelevant and false depending how you played the game.

There's also just a lot of differing viewpoints of what constitutes 100%ing NSMBU, like if you include Challenge Mode and getting good enough to get all the medals that's dozens of hours for most people. I imagine most consider 100% to be completing all levels and getting all star coins. And then there's the question of whether we were talking about NSMBU or NSMBU DX, since there's an entire extra game in there that offers more content than some full games.

Regardless, I think we all just want to have some knowledge of the outcome of whether this game has more, the same or less content than the base game of NSMBU excluding Challenge Mode, since that's basically our barometer for a modern Mario game. And maybe the 24.5 hours does include CM there, I'm honestly not sure, but I can also say I've found a lot of games take a lot more time to 100% than it says on HLTB. Again, I think 100% is something that people have a lot of differing definitions of, and it's hard to say how reliable the responses are on the site.

I guess my overall point is just like...at this point, we have zero control over how the game turned out. Most likely, with EPD's track record, it will be fantastic. Even a lesser EPD game is still a great game, and I doubt this will be a lesser game. This is Mario's triumphant return to 2D gaming for the first time in 11 years, which is like about a third or fourth of most posters' lives here, and probably half or more of many of of adult lives, which to me is pretty amazing to think about. I've only watched the first trailer but I believe it will be super fun, I recognize we really have no say in how it turned it, and I'm mind-blowingly excited to play it presuming finish Pikmin 4 by Friday. We are really, really close.

Thanks for bearing with my meandering missive as I think out loud about what this means and if I should be putting this much thought into it, LOL.

10-15 hours is fine for $60. It wasn't for Dread because Dread had no music and was 2 hours long. Mario has prestige (but sadly not enough for $70). Metroid has the process. Discussing game pricing is like looking into the sun. You don’t stare at it. It’s too risky. You get a sense of it, then you look away.

10-15 hours is fine for $60. It wasn't for Dread because Dread had no music and was 2 hours long. Mario has prestige (but sadly not enough for $70). Metroid has the process. Discussing game pricing is like looking into the sun. You don’t stare at it. It’s too risky. You get a sense of it, then you look away.
is this bait?

Alright so Mario Wonder is an expensive entree before the main dish made by the Mario C-team.

Can't wait.

No. Standards change with time. Content is a big deal nowadays. It's a silly comparison anyways, most of these reviewers were babies or not even born when Super Mario World was out. Lol. It's not like they were reviewers on Super Mario World.
Amount of content is not a big deal and the emphasis on it has gotten us big open world games with little to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom