• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Super Mario Bros. Wonder - Review Prediction Thread

Predict Super Mario Bros. Wonder's Review Score!

• 96+

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 91-95

Votes: 188 54.8%
  • 86-90

Votes: 129 37.6%
  • 81-85

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 76-80

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • 75 or less

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
super_mario_bros_wonder_art.jpg

It's that time again! Where do you think that Super Mario Bros. Wonder's review score will land?

For reference, these are the scores of previous 2D Mario games:

New Super Mario Bros. - 89 MC
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 87 MC
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 78 MC
New Super Mario Bros. U - 84 MC
Super Mario Maker - 88 MC
Super Mario Maker 2 - 88 MC

Adding a couple of preview excerpts for additional references:

I have to be honest – most of New Super Mario Bros. sort of passed me by. I really enjoyed the original one, back on DS, but as that series wore on, my excitement for 2D Mario increasingly waned. But in one short hands-on, Super Mario Bros. Wonder has restored that excitement, and reminded me of why I loved 2D Mario so very much.

Super Mario Bros Wonder is an excellent 2D Mario game. It may not feel quite like a tentpole release in the same way as Odyssey, but it was unlikely to be this close to the end of the Switch's lifecycle, and it does feel like Nintendo is finally taking a step forward from the New series it's been iterating on for nearly 20 years. For those who have been yearning for more classic Mario platforming since 2012 (if you haven't already tired of building your own in Mario Maker) - or, frankly, anyone who enjoys a spot of classic Mario – this is shaping up to be an essential purchase.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder may have a unique name, unattached to any other games in the series’s long and decorated history, but after playing an hour of it, I think Nintendo could’ve gotten away with calling it Super Mario Bros. 4, and all of the weight of expectations that would’ve come with that. (Yes, Super Mario World was arguably Super Mario Bros. 4, but you get my point…)

Super Mario Bros. Wonder feels like the most creative 2D Mario game in years. Even beyond the implementation of the Wonder Flowers, Super Mario Bros. Wonder feels like a fresh direction for the franchise, even as its core mechanics bring us back to where it all began. For the first time in a long while, I feel genuine surprises await me around every corner of a new 2D Mario game, and I cannot wait to experience them and the certain delights they will bring. Super Mario Bros. Wonder arrives on Nintendo Switch on October 20.

It’s going to be a cliché before we even get to the review stage but to state the obvious, Super Mario Bros. Wonder is wonderful. A return to form for the series, that seems to be easily the best 2D Nintendo platformer since Yoshi’s Island in 1995. Maybe it’ll even end up as better, but we’ll have to play the whole game to know that – a prospect which we couldn’t be more excited about.

I may have only visited Mario's new world briefly, but I'm already counting down the days until I get to play more. There's so many levels, characters, and Badges in Super Mario Bros. Wonder that I didn't get to explore, so it's got me excited to not only play the full game, but to also play it again as other characters, and with friends and family. I can already tell that I'm about to get as obsessed with this game as I did with New Super Mario Bros. back in 2006.

Last edited:
Do we have embargo dates? I would imagine Tuesday 17th.

My guess is +90.

super_mario_bros_wonder_art.jpg

It's that time again! Where do you think that Super Mario Bros. Wonder's review score will land?

For reference, these are the scores of previous 2D Mario games:

New Super Mario Bros. - 89 MC
New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 87 MC
New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 78 MC
New Super Mario Bros. U - 84 MC
Super Mario Maker - 88 MC
Super Mario Maker 2 - 88 MC
Super Mario Bros. (GBA version) - 84 MC
Super Mario Bros. 2 (Advance version) - 84 MC
Super Mario Bros. 3 (Advance version) - 94 MC
Super Mario World (Advance version) - 92 MC

Added a couple of preview excerpts to get a feeling of what critics have to say

I'd say lower 90's.

Some critics will ding it for not having enough content or something, like they expect a 2D platformer to be 40 hours.

I'd say 91-95, but I've also not kept up with Metacritic scores at all and couldn't name a single game's score aside from Ocarina and maybe BotW (which I believe was 97?)

91-95

It's gonna be another GOTY-contender, easily.

I want it to be really good but I have the nagging feeling it'll be reviewed closer to NSMBU than to the 2D greats. I'll say exactly 85.

I'm feeling 89 or 90.

A lot of people will definitely be high on it (and just generally high on Nintendo this year), but I think just enough will have their usual "3D > 2D" hangups and ding it with some kind of meme-worthy "it's still just 2D Mario" line that keeps it from hitting that hard-to-reach 93/94 territory.

Posted the same thread on the purple forum to see how results compare, I get the feeling that Fami will be harsher

...harsher than Era? 😛

I'd love to see 90+ but I'm not sure if 2D platformers is a genre that is conducive to those sort of scores.

It totally should be, mind.

85-89: the game has interesting hidden stuff
90-95: the game has a LOT more than it's letting you think it has in interesting hidden stuff
96-99: this game completely deceived you. It's much much MUCH better than it's letting you think it is.

Famiboards basically is the Nintendo ERA community. I can see Truno's reasoning based on the hardcore Nintendo base being more in this website than the other and as a a result being harsher on this if it doesn't live up to their higher expectations. And I can understand not being impressed by Wonder either.

...harsher than Era? 😛

I'd love to see 90+ but I'm not sure if 2D platformers is a genre that is conducive to those sort of scores.

It totally should be, mind.

You'd be surprised. Overall, Era is a bit more positive than Fami in general when it concerns Nintendo aside from performance/hardware talk.

For example, the last direct was received pretty well over there. Meanwhile, in Fami, it was voted the worst direct since the creation of the forum. It makes sense, passionate fans are going to be more critical and harsher

I'm feeling 89 or 90.

A lot of people will definitely be high on it (and just generally high on Nintendo this year), but I think just enough will have their usual "3D > 2D" hangups and ding it with some kind of meme-worthy "it's still just 2D Mario" line that keeps it from hitting that hard-to-reach 93/94 territory.
I don’t think it’s getting below 90 considering we’ve come off the NSMB series and people are burnt out. We’ve already seen extremely high praising previews. 2D games get 90+

Mid 80s seems about safe on average for 2d mario games. Not expecting anything mindblowing but a pretty average to good mario experience. Honestly the game should be about 50 dollars instead of a full price release.

You'd be surprised how much reviewed 2D platformers have trouble breaking the 90 MC bar. It's often games that have a cool sense of atmosphere and story. Think Celeste, Limbo, Inside... The 2D Mario titles aren't known for being particularly good in that regard so who knows.
Even Tropical Freeze, one of the crown jewels of Nintendo platformers? 86 at best.

Why should this game be $50 though? You agree Metroid Dread should be $50 too?
Its just a me thing I just don't want to spend full price on another 2d mario game. With dread I was willing cause I knew it would be quality. I just probably wont buy mario wonder at launch cause I dont have the cash although I would consider it if it was cheaper at launch

I mean I'd love for this to break 90+, but I imagine regardless of the game's quality there will be enough reviewers who aren't enthralled by a 2D platformer that they will settle at a 9/10 for most outlets, giving weight to the 7/10's from contrarians to drag it down to between an 85-89 average.

"Possibly the greatest 2D platformer ever made and a worthy follow up to Mario's groundbreaking entries on the NES and SNES.

7/10"

I predict some reviewers will lament that the game isn't a big budget cinematic open world game and will treat it with contempt as worthy at most as a F2P mobile fodder while others will throw a fit because it won't be hardcore enough and too much inclusive of any kind of game players.
I also predict SMBW will max out the scale on the fun department.

I feel like low 90's is where a 2D game (sadly) tops out, and this game seems like it is going to top out.

(I think about it every day)

Surprised at the optimism that this will crack the 90s. Expecting high 80s. I don't think this is gonna reinvent the wheel enough for most critics.
I voted above 91 because I didn't know about this apparent bias against 2D games and thought that games like Hollow Knight would be an easy 94 meta for sure.
Now I refuse to admit that I am wrong or to change my vote.

We've had a number of 2D platformers join the 90+ MC club in the past ten years: Celeste, Rayman Legends, Cuphead, Shovel Knight... I think Wonder could join them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom