• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Strategy Games |ST| Romance of the Unicorn Tactica

I get what you mean here, as the system is super skewed, but I don't see this as an inherent problem. It does discourage building a varied pool of units, but like in the games without grinding, this is a feature, not a bug. Engage is built to not be a grinding game for the most, the skirmishes that are there are only there to help increase your levels on lower difficulties. It does help (at least in my book), that the later units come preloaded with ridiculous amounts of SP allowing you to commit skills to them, which is nice since a good chunk of the later units are definitely worth investing into. That's what I mean by everyone having a niche, since you use the early units in the early game, fill out needs with the middle units, and phase out early units for later ones in the endgame. I can see why this isn't a good thing for everyone, but the game definitely still allows you to play favorites, especially with the free DLC they put out after release almost breaking the game in half.

This is not true? Even on Maddening, your units can't die in the Arena at all.

I definitely agree here for the most part, but this was half the point of Three Houses. It's just a smaller feature in Engage.
But that’s the thing: In a game where Emblems are the main feature, and learning skills would (you assume?) be a big part of the reason to move emblems around and experiment and try things out, the ludicrously high skill costs are a big turnoff. In my case, I saw how expensive all the really high-level skills are and went “okay, well then I better just save up for those and get them later!” … and then you can go literally the entire game without earning enough skill points to buy them. And that’s just one skill! As a result I basically never bought any skills because I was constantly saving up for skills that I assumed I’d be able to get later and never actually could afford. It’s just a bad system that really needed rebalancing.

But that’s the thing: In a game where Emblems are the main feature, and learning skills would (you assume?) be a big part of the reason to move emblems around and experiment and try things out, the ludicrously high skill costs are a big turnoff. In my case, I saw how expensive all the really high-level skills are and went “okay, well then I better just save up for those and get them later!” … and then you can go literally the entire game without earning enough skill points to buy them. And that’s just one skill! As a result I basically never bought any skills because I was constantly saving up for skills that I assumed I’d be able to get later and never actually could afford. It’s just a bad system that really needed rebalancing.
I do think they needed to do a better job with explaining the economy (the higher tier of skills are discounted upon buying the lower tier, the initial price listed is the total price for all levels of that skill), but like I said, I think that's due to balancing the late game upon the late game units, who can in fact just get all the late game skills you would need either right out of the gate, or with some use.

That said, I disagree it needs rebalancing. That would imply the game is just not finely tuned and near impossible on the higher difficulties, which it isn't in either way.

I do feel for anyone who wants to use Etie or Alfred or the like in the endgame though.

I do feel for anyone who wants to use Etie or Alfred or the like in the endgame though.

And that right here is a problem, even when looking back at older games.

Using early units, or your favs, constanly, building them up, rewarded you with them being useful throughout the game. If anything, it was the opposite, why use late game units when your units you've been working on since early chapters outclass them, or at least won't have a negative difference that would make you use later units instead.

I'm not saying this was good back then. But there's a reason FE almost went to the deathbed until IS changed approach and went in more on the RPG part of the SRPG name by allowing easier and more varied unit building to remove reasons why you either should use early game or late game units.
They all can end up viable or with a niche.

And the Emblem Ring system, in order to work like they prolly intended at one point, needs this focus too.

Or at least would've needed to be reworked with little to no freedom of unit building like it was in early games.

And IS couldn't commit to one side, and created this semi-working Frankenstein of a unit management system.

If IS really intended that a statement (no attack at you) "I do feel for anyone who wants to use Etie or Alfred (aka early game units) or the like in the endgame" is okay for a Fire Emblem game, then they've completely lost the plot of Fire Emblem games.

And that right here is a problem, even when looking back at older games.

Using early units, or your favs, constanly, building them up, rewarded you with them being useful throughout the game. If anything, it was the opposite, why use late game units when your units you've been working on since early chapters outclass them, or at least won't have a negative difference that would make you use later units instead.
I'm not sure how you see this as a problem. The example scenario is only really true of the localized GBA games. Most of the other games have later units that clearly outpace early game units or all the units that really matter are recruited early anyway.

I'm not saying this was good back then. But there's a reason FE almost went to the deathbed until IS changed approach and went in more on the RPG part of the SRPG name by allowing easier and more varied unit building to remove reasons why you either should use early game or late game units.
It's very unfair to say that the reason the series failed is because you couldn't use everyone on your team however you want. Especially when you still can in Engage, let alone the entire series.

They all can end up viable or with a niche.
Yeah this is a good thing. This is also what happens in Engage.

And the Emblem Ring system, in order to work like they prolly intended at one point, needs this focus too.

Or at least would've needed to be reworked with little to no freedom of unit building like it was in early games.

And IS couldn't commit to one side, and created this semi-working Frankenstein of a unit management system.
I don't know what to tell you, this definitely is just part of Engage being "love it or hate it" I suppose, cause I just don't agree at all.

Or maybe the Frankensteining just worked for me.

If IS really intended that a statement (no attack at you) "I do feel for anyone who wants to use Etie or Alfred (aka early game units) or the like in the endgame" is okay for a Fire Emblem game, then they've completely lost the plot of Fire Emblem games.
How? Every single FE game in existence forces or encourages you to not use everyone from the early game, equally or otherwise, and you have to make the choices on who you want to focus on. That's part of the appeal.

What I really dislike in recent fire emblem games is yet more bars to fill, whether it’s even more sub-currencies and skill points and whatnot. I’d really like to see something like the simplicity of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn return again. A great story that has you at camp to mostly resupply from a menu and get going again because you want to see what happens next, rather than camp being a destination in and of itself, with its own games to play and bars to fill and half an hours worth of running around. I don’t know, I just don’t get anything out of the whole social sim element, the camp being rendered and seeing the characters having tea in 3D. Maybe I should just go play the old ones again :D

What I really dislike in recent fire emblem games is yet more bars to fill, whether it’s even more sub-currencies and skill points and whatnot. I’d really like to see something like the simplicity of Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn return again. A great story that has you at camp to mostly resupply from a menu and get going again because you want to see what happens next, rather than camp being a destination in and of itself, with its own games to play and bars to fill and half an hours worth of running around. I don’t know, I just don’t get anything out of the whole social sim element, the camp being rendered and seeing the characters having tea in 3D. Maybe I should just go play the old ones again :D
I would love a port of those two soon. I have the originals, but more people being able to play them would be great

I really like the social sim elements as they were present particularly in Three Houses. Garreg Mach has a feeling of a place of importance, and being able to spend time with the characters in ways that extend outside support conversations really helped to grow that attachment (in addition to the supports themselves being excellent and often surprising in depth). I like that the game isn't just a series of battles with a camp menu.

Engage fails in this regard for me because the Somniel isn't really a place. It's a resort where nothing of specific importance happens. The activities within it are all also a stark downgrade in that sense of character interaction.

I really like the social sim elements as they were present particularly in Three Houses. Garreg Mach has a feeling of a place of importance, and being able to spend time with the characters in ways that extend outside support conversations really helped to grow that attachment (in addition to the supports themselves being excellent and often surprising in depth). I like that the game isn't just a series of battles with a camp menu.

Engage fails in this regard for me because the Somniel isn't really a place. It's a resort where nothing of specific importance happens. The activities within it are all also a stark downgrade in that sense of character interaction.
Yeah I agree with you on the differing sense of place between the academy and the Somniel. I disliked all the lesson planning in the academy, but I did like that it had a sense of place. A market out the front, its spiritual centre at the back, functional areas like the greenhouse near the kitchen, simple dorms for the students. It’s a nicely designed location. But the Somniel just feels like a cheap all-inclusive holiday resort with only a bedroom for one guest, catering to people having a swim, a cup of coffee and a game of whatever leisure activity, rather than anything that might actually exist.

That’s why I partially enjoyed the academy in the first half of TH, I guess, even when running around I could appreciate its sense of fitting into the game world as a place of social and cultural significance that said something about how it’s broken, twisted politics worked. Whereas the Somniel just felt like 100% busywork to me.

I sold mine long ago as soon as I sold my Wii, and regret it. Some of my favourite video games.
I almost did right before both began to become prohitably expensive, with the plans of buying them back later once I had money. Different paths huh

Definitely agree that the Academy was a much better social space than the Somniel, but playing Front Mission 1st with its simple SNES-era menu based setup between missions also reinforced my feeling that I don't really need all that extra fluff that comes with social spaces in my SRPGs, even when they are done extremely well.

Haven't read everything that's been said since the last page, but I do agree that this approach is in major conflict with what should (is meant to be?) be at the centre of Fire Emblem, which is to build a connection to your units

It's not that you can't make a satisfying tactical game without that ethos (clearly, as in my opinion Engage does so; Advance Wars etc) but it's also contrary to what Fire Emblem suggest it wants to be

Etie is aptly a very good example of this. I tried to care but then Alcryst arrived with his big and juicy stats/stat gains. Didn't help that the extent of her personality (so far) is gym bro and tea

How? Every single FE game in existence forces or encourages you to not use everyone from the early game, equally or otherwise, and you have to make the choices on who you want to focus on. That's part of the appeal.
I’m not so sure about that, in Three Houses both routes I’ve played I used my houses’s units and almost no one else (I added a couple more characters over time and alternated them to evenly level). But the game seems almost designed around that, since the number of slots in battles almost perfectly matches your class size. And you build such a strong connection to them over time by planning out a “build” for each student that slowly comes together as you promote. I never had much desire or felt pressured to use the later units since they’re pre-promoted and don’t have class mastery skills.

Thanks y'all 🥰 I think I'll maybe pick the game up on sale sometime in the future, but not stress out about it and maybe pickup Unicorn Overlord/Howl (didn't care for Triangle Strategy). I seriously enjoyed emulating FE4 a few years ago so fingers crossed for FE4R dropping sooner rather than later!

The Academy worked for 3H, in my opinion (though I think the latter part of the post-timeskip should have had different base camps with the same merchants as a hub just for story integration's sake -- why do we keep going back to the monastery after the Great Bridge fight?), but I wouldn't like to see it return unless it was wholly justified the way it was in 3H by the story. I wasn't a fan of Fates' hub world either -- at the end of the day I just prefer the simplicity of the GBA-style management (POR was fine, RD was a mess) between chapters, though I wouldn't say no to a small hub (depending again on the story) with character interaction to flesh everyone in your army out a bit more.

I’m not so sure about that, in Three Houses both routes I’ve played I used my houses’s units and almost no one else (I added a couple more characters over time and alternated them to evenly level). But the game seems almost designed around that, since the number of slots in battles almost perfectly matches your class size. And you build such a strong connection to them over time by planning out a “build” for each student that slowly comes together as you promote. I never had much desire or felt pressured to use the later units since they’re pre-promoted and don’t have class mastery skills.
Yeah, you're right on this. In many ways Three Houses is a unique case. That's to its strength. That said though, if you did choose to use units from the other houses in place of your starting house, my point stands. It's definitely a corner case (and makes certain maps on certain routes quite difficult!) but it's still an option open to the player. That's moreso my point with that statement, that using units inherently comes with an opportunity cost, and in most games, not all your early units will be worth that cost always.

I’ve owed this thread a post for a while, but I had a busy last few days. Last Thursday into Friday morning I beat Final Fantasy Tactics Advance! I wrote a post in the RPG ST I’ll quote most of here.

I had the time and stuck with Final Fantasy Tactics Advance tonight and managed to complete it! One of the maps I played while side questing had a “monster” in a box that essentially you could take out with one shot and otherwise couldn’t move or do anything. I decided to have Marche attack teammates over and over again to force one more level up and had the rest of my party use skills to boost XP so they snuck in some level ups too.

My second round against the first phase of the final boss went poorly, but I reloaded and did one last attempt that proved to be the one as I got two very lucky rolls right at the start that had two enemies crumple immediately. I forgot to mention I did finally get the dual wielding Ninja class weapon for Marche so he became a deadly evasion counter tank and also cemented himself as my best damage dealer. I smoked the last two phases of the boss with him.

Overall I had a great time with the game. Most of the maps were quick breezy fun and the tougher ones regularly proved satisfying to conquer. Leveling up your characters was very satisfying as you learned new moves and came up with cool combos. The law system is kind of annoying, but it does lead to some map variety in the sense certain moves are unavailable for certain maps so you have to mix up your strategy and occasionally bring in reserve units (same for when you send a bunch out on Dispatch missions). The story wasn’t the best, but the big moments were effective enough.

I really enjoyed revisiting Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and one day I definitely want to finally play both the original game and the sequel. I do have both.
One thing I didn’t talk about here that I wanted to but forgot at the time and is a bit relevant to some of the conversations here today, was the pub system. I thought this was a very clever way to not only serve as a mission select, but also to deliver story in a strategy game. Basically the way it works if you aren’t familiar is in between maps (which typically have a little pre and post battle dialogue) you are on the world map that you yourself build by placing one icon at a time after clearing each story mission (the world map is just empty nodes with roads connecting them when you start the game). On every city icon (minus the palace), you have a few options you can select when visiting them including a pub and shop.

When you go to the pub it’s ultimately just menus, but it’s framed as you talking to the pub master behind the counter. Here you can select missions by reading the requests characters in the world have filled out and then confirming it with the pub master and also listen to rumors which cycle in and out over the course of your adventure (some of which are direct reactions to your story and side quest exploits). It’s a really basic set up and yet I really dig it. There’s 300+ missions in the game (I forgot my final total, but iirc I cleared at least 150 of them) and due to 200 of them being dispatch missions where you just send a single unit out to clear them, you really get to hear about the wider world of Ivalice that you otherwise don’t get to see in the confines of a strategy game. It’s a 20 year old game, but I wish more games would take a look at what worked here.

I’m not really sure when I’ll play my next strategy game. I’m picking up Persona 5 Tactica this week, but I’m not planning to play it any time soon. None of the games on the top of my backlog are strategy games either, though I definitely have some further down the road (the original Final Fantasy Tactics, Triangle Strategy, more Fire Emblem games, and some Disgaea games for starters). If I don’t play one sooner, I’ll certainly be playing Unicorn Overlord early next year as I’m a huge Vanillaware fan.

Definitely agree that the Academy was a much better social space than the Somniel, but playing Front Mission 1st with its simple SNES-era menu based setup between missions also reinforced my feeling that I don't really need all that extra fluff that comes with social spaces in my SRPGs, even when they are done extremely well.
I don't really consider it fluff when it's done well. And particularly in the case of a game like Three Houses where character growth and interaction are woven so well into the setting.

A menu screen works for Front Mission, but Three Houses without Three monastery just wouldn't be the same.

Yeah, you're right on this. In many ways Three Houses is a unique case. That's to its strength. That said though, if you did choose to use units from the other houses in place of your starting house, my point stands. It's definitely a corner case (and makes certain maps on certain routes quite difficult!) but it's still an option open to the player. That's moreso my point with that statement, that using units inherently comes with an opportunity cost, and in most games, not all your early units will be worth that cost always.
Three Houses was definitely unique in that the game's structure in some ways will dictate your lineup. You can recruit enough other students to effectively swap out your entire house, but in practical terms, each route has its respective house in mind. Even with that being the case, however, the systems of Three Houses make for a wider variety of gameplay styles and strategies you can experiment with.

I’ve put a few hours into Persona 5 Tactica so my early impressions (playing it on PS5 so can’t comment on performance really):

- I like the artstyle a lot more than I expected, it’s actually pretty charming and cute and looks great especially in the more comic-book-y storytelling segments. Very bright and vibrant. Seeing the characters again is nice even if there’s nothing new to them

- The music is pretty good so far as you might expect, although not as great as P5 or even Strikers. It also doesn’t seem to have much variety as of yet, but that could improve

- Combat seems fun, but I’m worried it’s a little too simplistic and will get old as the game progresses. There doesn’t seem to be as much depth to it as I would like.

- On a similar note, the combat reminds me a lot more of Mario + Rabbids than I expected, but with the downside (so far) that it’s incredibly easy, even on hard difficulty. I hope that I’m just in the more tutorial-y part of the game and unlocking mechanics, because if it doesn’t start getting harder that’s going to be a problem.

Just remembered I forgot to share this one. It looks like an interesting blend of roguelike and SRPG, which sounds fun on paper to me. No idea if they will localise it, though.

This MC design is great either way!
Bar-Stella-Abyss_2023_11-20-23_009-1440x2242.png

Just remembered I forgot to share this one. It looks like an interesting blend of roguelike and SRPG, which sounds fun on paper to me. No idea if they will localise it, though.

This MC design is great either way!
Bar-Stella-Abyss_2023_11-20-23_009-1440x2242.png
This actually looks pretty cool! I'd check it out if they localized it for sure

Apologies if this has been covered already: Love Fire Emblem but got pretty burnt out after Three Houses. Is Engage worth it at current sale price?

Always the core gameplay loop for the series. I'm not a big fan of the social elements.
I'd say the core gameplay loop is fine, and the social elements are very forgettable and easily skippable, so it might be worth giving a go, if it's still relevant.

Always the core gameplay loop for the series. I'm not a big fan of the social elements.
I really enjoyed Engage’s battles, but its cut scenes and base elements are both weak and very skippable. I’d go as far as saying that if you’re mostly into FE because you like interesting battle scenarios and developing an army, Engage does that well. But If you like a mix of story and battles, then the former is both simplistic and poorly depicted.

There's a deal on Persona 5 Tactica on Amazon UK at the moment, £33 Switch or sub-£30 for PS4 and PS5. I get the impression it will probably be low again, but if you're concerned about physical running out (does this still happen with Atlus stuff post-3DS?) or were waiting for a sale, I thought I'd mention it.

I wound up playing some Age of Empires IV before my Game Pass expired! It wasn’t enough time to truly get into it, but I liked what I played and felt like a strategic spark was ignited.

I’ve always wanted to get into Civilization. How is that on the Switch?

I’ve always wanted to get into Civilization. How is that on the Switch?
Not the ideal Civ experience so if it’s your first time getting into the series, I’d advise you to get it on a console/PC with more juice.

That said, Civ VI on Switch works well if you keep the maps Standard size. The engine starts having trouble in the lategame but nothing egregious. It’s great if you just want snack-sized bites of 4X gaming.

Not the ideal Civ experience so if it’s your first time getting into the series, I’d advise you to get it on a console/PC with more juice.

That said, Civ VI on Switch works well if you keep the maps Standard size. The engine starts having trouble in the lategame but nothing egregious. It’s great if you just want snack-sized bites of 4X gaming.
Thank you for the info. Looks like it often goes on deep sale for Xbox, so I’ll keep an eye out. Any expansions etc that are essential?

Thank you for the info. Looks like it often goes on deep sale for Xbox, so I’ll keep an eye out. Any expansions etc that are essential?
Just a quick heads up to avoid the game on iPad as well. While we do get amazing ports like Company of Heroes and Total War that are better than PC, Civ 6 on mobile and tablets is bad. I bought that Civ 6 anthology bundle on Xbox when it was very cheap. That has everything IIRC.

There's a deal on Persona 5 Tactica on Amazon UK at the moment, £33 Switch or sub-£30 for PS4 and PS5. I get the impression it will probably be low again, but if you're concerned about physical running out (does this still happen with Atlus stuff post-3DS?) or were waiting for a sale, I thought I'd mention it.
It's currently on sale in the US for $39.99 at multiple retailers. Certainly smells like Sega over produced it if it's on 33% discount less than a month from release. Like after inflation this is cheaper than any of their 3DS releases 😂

There was a sale last December 12 from where I live where you use voucher code to obtain 30% off on any item. I used that voucher to get a pre-order of Unicorn Overlord for $40.

Has anyone played any of the Mercenaries Saga games? There’s loads of them, they all look very similar, and I’m sure I played one on 3DS, but dear lord they seem to push out one a year or something. Are any of the more recent ones any good?

I’m looking at-
Mercenaries Blaze: Dawn of the Twin Dragons
Mercenaries Lament: Requiem of the Silver Wolf
Mercenaries Wings: The False Phoenix
Mercenaries Rebirth: Call of the Wild Lynx
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (which I think is the first three games, one of which I played, but I can’t remember which as they are all so similar)

Anyway they are all on sale so thought I’d ask!

Switch has actually got me more into strategy games now thanks to the portability!

I have a copy of Tactics Ogre Return but the talk of it being hard has put me off ever starting it. It does my have difficulty settings does it?
The portability definitely makes strategy and RPG's more accessible to play In the background.

Has anyone played any of the Mercenaries Saga games? There’s loads of them, they all look very similar, and I’m sure I played one on 3DS, but dear lord they seem to push out one a year or something. Are any of the more recent ones any good?

I’m looking at-
Mercenaries Saga Chronicles (which I think is the first three games, one of which I played, but I can’t remember which as they are all so similar)

I finished False Phoenix and as @meatbag says, these are budget games to cover that FFT itch if you need som SRPG, but don't expect anything grandiose, the story is very direct and the gameplay is simple (though I believe the newer games has more in that regard, multiclass, etc)

On ohter news the remake of Romance of the 3 Kingdoms 8 was pushed to general 2024 now, was expecting it around march or april.

I’m looking at-

I have played all of these games and they are all very much budget versions of FFT/Tactics Ogre. Literally nothing about any of these games reaches the level of the genre classics, but they are all competent and I enjoy them.

Chronicles is as you say, the first three of the series. Aside from the characters and story, not much changes between the games. I think they actually may share a setting, but the connections are not overt and don't affect the storylines at all. Gameplay wise they all play identically, with what changes you do see kept to a minimum. Basically, the first one feels nearly identical to the most recent one.

As @meatbag said, Requiem of the Silver Wolf does have the most interesting story of them, but it's still very much a Mercenaries game. I actually look forward to the new releases primarily because I know exactly what I'm getting from them. I think of them as gaming comfort food in a genre I adore.

I have played all of these games and they are all very much budget versions of FFT/Tactics Ogre. Literally nothing about any of these games reaches the level of the genre classics, but they are all competent and I enjoy them.

Chronicles is as you say, the first three of the series. Aside from the characters and story, not much changes between the games. I think they actually may share a setting, but the connections are not overt and don't affect the storylines at all. Gameplay wise they all play identically, with what changes you do see kept to a minimum. Basically, the first one feels nearly identical to the most recent one.

As @meatbag said, Requiem of the Silver Wolf does have the most interesting story of them, but it's still very much a Mercenaries game. I actually look forward to the new releases primarily because I know exactly what I'm getting from them. I think of them as gaming comfort food in a genre I adore.
Thanks so much for the write-up, much appreciated!

Hot-seat multiplayer? That's a name I haven't heard in a long. long time. (but welcome of course)

Just noting my spiritual agony at being able to hold a copy of that War of Genesis remake for Switch today but talking myself out of buying it because rudimentary Korean is not gonna get me through it.

simply put, i think devil survivor is one of the best stratgey jrpgs there is out there.
It's criminal that we don't have Devil Survivor 3 yet. Or heck, just put Devil Survivor 1 and 2 on modern consoles. Even a straight port job would make me happy enough...

Back
Top Bottom