• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Steam Deck Discussion |ST| Big Deck Energy

If the MH6 is going to be on RE engine which is most likely, it should perform well at least at 30fps. Capcom games tends to be far more optimised such as RE2 and 3 remakes which look amazing and runs at 60fps on last gen consoles.
Oh but I'm assuming it won't be made with last gen consoles in mind at all. Unless the Steam Deck is more capable than I'm giving it credit for, which could be the case. If it's cross gen, then it'll be more than fine for sure

Oh but I'm assuming it won't be made with last gen consoles in mind at all. Unless the Steam Deck is more capable than I'm giving it credit for, which could be the case. If it's cross gen, then it'll be more than fine for sure
I guess we will have to wait and see lol. But if the new leaked/rumoured Switch gets announced this fall, that is my top priority.

Well, it really will depend on what kind of base line they're targeting. Series S isn't really much more powerful than Deck at its resolution target (1080-1440p), at least in relative terms. I think I remember reading that the Deck can even go toe to toe with the Series X in terms of raw processing power per pixel (assuming 800p vs 2160p resolution targets). That's obviously simplifying the issue, but MH6 should potentially offer enough flexibility in terms of settings that it might just run well enough on the Deck, with the right compromises and all.

I guess we will have to wait and see lol. But if the new leaked/rumoured Switch gets announced this fall, that is my top priority.
Yeah, hopefully it does because that'd be really dope

Well, it really will depend on what kind of base line they're targeting. Series S isn't really much more powerful than Deck at its resolution target (1080-1440p), at least in relative terms. I think I remember reading that the Deck can even go toe to toe with the Series X in terms of raw processing power per pixel (assuming 800p vs 2160p resolution targets). That's obviously simplifying the issue, but MH6 should potentially offer enough flexibility in terms of settings that it might just run well enough on the Deck, with the right compromises and all.
Jesus, it's that strong? Alright, I guess there really isn't much to worry about then, even if that's not a quite 1 to 1 comparison with the Xbox Series, unless there could be issues with the Steam Deck itself, like it's OS or something

Jesus, it's that strong? Alright, I guess there really isn't much to worry about then, even if that's not a quite 1 to 1 comparison with the Xbox Series, unless there could be issues with the Steam Deck itself, like it's OS or something
Yeah, the Deck is quite impressive indeed in terms of tech. I found the og source, by Durante on metacouncil: https://metacouncil.com/threads/valves-steam-deck-our-decks-are-going-places.2487/post-249066
While the Deck ain't no portable Series X, it's still very impressive for what it's targeting. The CPU might turn into kind of a bottleneck somewhere down the line, though, but the Series S would still be in close range, hopefully close enough to achieve similar results in terms of computing.

Yeah, the Deck is quite impressive indeed in terms of tech. I found the og source, by Durante on metacouncil: https://metacouncil.com/threads/valves-steam-deck-our-decks-are-going-places.2487/post-249066
While the Deck ain't no portable Series X, it's still very impressive for what it's targeting. The CPU might turn into kind of a bottleneck somewhere down the line, though, but the Series S would still be in close range, hopefully close enough to achieve similar results in terms of computing.
Then I guess it could be a device that'd last all throughout the generation, save for the Uber demanding games late in the generation, which would be doubly impressive for a handheld

NabiscoFelt
So, what's your verdict so far? ;-)
Hmm well on the plus side:

+ Elden Ring works, pretty well. There's one annoying thing where enemies turn invisible when you're on horseback but besides that it plays pretty well for handheld Elden Ring. 30 fps for a Soulslike is a bit eh but I beat DS1 that way on Switch so hopefully this'll also be manageable. The game itself is fairly fun so far but boy am I glad I have a handheld system for it, I don't think I'd make any progress in it otherwise.

+ Emulation and non-Steam game stores are all working pretty well for me. Granted, I didn't go very far in the tested games (just enough to make sure they load properly, really) but that means I have access to all the free games Epic's thrown at me over the years which is pretty nice. Got Control and Jedi: Fallen Order, two games I've been pretty interested in since their release, lined up for after Elden Ring. And there's a ton of stuff I want to try via XCloud, which also seems to be working pretty well for me.

Meanwhile cons:

- I did not win the fan lottery. It's the pitch that does it for me, more than the volume. It's just a really high pitched whine that's quite annoying at times. Nothing dealbreaking, just an irritance.

- Things still feel a bit janky overall on the controls end, but that may just be because of how much time I spent fiddling with things to get everything working the way I wanted. Which meant I was doing somewhat janky stuff, so it's not something I can realistically hold against the system.

- I have somewhat smaller hands and the controls are just a bit too far apart for me. Nothing wildly uncomfortable but it's there

- I'm not sure this system will end up being the game changer for me that I was expecting, honestly. It's early days yet and there's still time, of course. And some of my misgivings likely come down to the game I'm playing (Elden Ring has been fun, like I said, but nothing extraordinary so far. But I'm very early on in the game). But there's something intangible I feel like the Deck's missing. Not regretting my purchase or anything, I'm perfectly satisfied with what I got, but just not fully "sold" on it yet.

Overall I'd say I'm pretty positive (there are more cons than pros here but the pros I'd weight much more heavily) but I'm less positive than I thought I'd be. That being said, I haven't had that much time actually playing stuff on it though (like, maybe three days? I spent a lot of time on setting up stuff and then wrapped up Triangle Strategy before starting Elden Ring). So my thoughts are very much subject to change once I get more time with it.

Hmm well on the plus side:

+ Elden Ring works, pretty well. There's one annoying thing where enemies turn invisible when you're on horseback but besides that it plays pretty well for handheld Elden Ring. 30 fps for a Soulslike is a bit eh but I beat DS1 that way on Switch so hopefully this'll also be manageable. The game itself is fairly fun so far but boy am I glad I have a handheld system for it, I don't think I'd make any progress in it otherwise.

+ Emulation and non-Steam game stores are all working pretty well for me. Granted, I didn't go very far in the tested games (just enough to make sure they load properly, really) but that means I have access to all the free games Epic's thrown at me over the years which is pretty nice. Got Control and Jedi: Fallen Order, two games I've been pretty interested in since their release, lined up for after Elden Ring. And there's a ton of stuff I want to try via XCloud, which also seems to be working pretty well for me.

Meanwhile cons:

- I did not win the fan lottery. It's the pitch that does it for me, more than the volume. It's just a really high pitched whine that's quite annoying at times. Nothing dealbreaking, just an irritance.

- Things still feel a bit janky overall on the controls end, but that may just be because of how much time I spent fiddling with things to get everything working the way I wanted. Which meant I was doing somewhat janky stuff, so it's not something I can realistically hold against the system.

- I have somewhat smaller hands and the controls are just a bit too far apart for me. Nothing wildly uncomfortable but it's there

- I'm not sure this system will end up being the game changer for me that I was expecting, honestly. It's early days yet and there's still time, of course. And some of my misgivings likely come down to the game I'm playing (Elden Ring has been fun, like I said, but nothing extraordinary so far. But I'm very early on in the game). But there's something intangible I feel like the Deck's missing. Not regretting my purchase or anything, I'm perfectly satisfied with what I got, but just not fully "sold" on it yet.

Overall I'd say I'm pretty positive (there are more cons than pros here but the pros I'd weight much more heavily) but I'm less positive than I thought I'd be. That being said, I haven't had that much time actually playing stuff on it though (like, maybe three days? I spent a lot of time on setting up stuff and then wrapped up Triangle Strategy before starting Elden Ring). So my thoughts are very much subject to change once I get more time with it.
Interesting stuff, thank you! I feel like your early impressions mirror mine, at least to a certain extent. Though I guess I was actually even more critical, haha.
I am certainly looking forward to your long(er) term impressions!

Oh man... Broken GPU, I have to RMA it

Have you RMA'd your device? How did it go? It's looking like I might have to go down that path as well. My left joystick won't register a click, which honestly isn't that big of a deal for me personally, since I can just remap that action to something else, but my plan was always to keep this until a hypothetical Switch Pro releases and then sell it.

I think the deck will keep a pretty high resale value either way, but it would definitely be better if everything worked.

Have you RMA'd your device? How did it go? It's looking like I might have to go down that path as well. My left joystick won't register a click, which honestly isn't that big of a deal for me personally, since I can just remap that action to something else, but my plan was always to keep this until a hypothetical Switch Pro releases and then sell it.

I think the deck will keep a pretty high resale value either way, but it would definitely be better if everything worked.
Currently awaiting my new Deck, the old deck already reached the magazine so now Steam has to send a new one and it seems like it can take a while... I'll post when the new one arrived and how long it all took!

I'll settle for nothing less than a 100% working Steam Deck without any weird issues. If the second one has issues as well I'll ask my money back and conclude that Valve isn't very thorough with their assembly.

Not sure what Valve have been tweaking, but my fan stays much, much quieter than before with the latest Beta update. Like, with the audio volume set to 1/3, I basically can't hear the fan anymore in Tales of Arise @ 30 fps/800p. Impressive!
Gotta try out some of the other titles still, just to see how it fares across the board, but this has been a pleasent development.

Currently awaiting my new Deck, the old deck already reached the magazine so now Steam has to send a new one and it seems like it can take a while... I'll post when the new one arrived and how long it all took!

I'll settle for nothing less than a 100% working Steam Deck without any weird issues. If the second one has issues as well I'll ask my money back and conclude that Valve isn't very thorough with their assembly.
They received mine yesterday, at least according to the Fed Ex tracking, so I'm just waiting for a replacement now. I wish they would give some kind of an estimate or at least an update.

Forgot we had a thread for this here

I got my Deck at the start of the month, and I have to say: this thing is awesome. Feels great to use, as someone who's always loved handheld consoles, it's perfect for me

Love me some handheld FFXIV. Though I'll still have to do dungeons on PC since typing and bringing up the loot list is too cumbersome on Deck

I got a few questions... Has anyone been able to run the full GPU 1.6Ghz yet?

Was wondering in general also.. What is the highest wattage consumed on the highest GPU clock profile (and what are the CPU and GPU clock speeds exactly?). I've been hearing the deck runs 25 watts at 1Ghz GPU and not exactly mac clock speeds on the CPU..

With the latest Beta channel update Valve has introduced a display refresh frequency setting, enabling users to set a refresh rate anywhere between 40 up to 60 Hz for the internal display. This is pretty huge, given many AAA games from last gen/current cross gen are not able to reach 60 fps.

Games feel great at 40 fps when you adjust the display to 40 Hz as well, making for perfect video sync between the two. Smoother and more responsive than 30, less taxing and more easily achievable than 60. Basically the perfect middle ground here for modern titles.

To be honest I haven't really had a problem with fans (not on the beta channel) but I haven't really run that much that has pushed it to the limit. I'll probably just wait for the fan update to make it to live.

Grabbed Emu Deck too and just finished a replay of Metroid Zero Mission since I'm off work laid up in bed with flu. Pretty comfy and Emu Deck seems like a decent emulation solution. It does by default install an LCD shader for, at least, GBA games that I'm quite partial to but others may not like, but I think you can remove this by pressing L3 + R3 to access the Retroarch settings.

I grabbed PSO Episode III to test the Gamecube emulation and ran across the other minor issue - Emu Deck installs EmulationStation-DE which defaults to the Retroarch core for Dolphin, rather than the standalone Dolphin that Emu Deck also installs. The game doesn't work using the Retroarch core (which I understand is out of date and not particularly good compared to the standalone version?) but changing the default emulator to 'Dolphin [Standalone]' fixed it and now it runs fine.

In terms of actual Steam games, I did a playthrough of FF1 Pixel Remaster and, as expected of a Verified game, it ran flawlessly and playing it handheld just makes me think this collection needs to be on Switch. It really is the perfect way to play for me.

It's hard to convey through a written post in this thread just how glad I am that I've kept the Deck, despite my long(er) list of criticism leveled against the device a few weeks back.

Like, ever since I've fully gotten used to the Deck, I basically haven't touched my PC setup at all; and my Switch and the Deck offer a superb combination so far.
I'm being reminded of the glorious DS + PSP days right now, and I think that's absolutely fantastic.

The SteamOS 3.2 update patching in the OS controlled fan curve as well as the refresh rate option has been the cherry on top thus far, literally transforming the Deck experience. It's quiet, it's smooth, it has good battery life. Now if the docked experience gets updated and further refined as well, I'd be almost out of complaints, haha!

I've decided I want to try and save for one of these things
cackles-star-wars.gif

I also have a few questions about the steam deck for those that have one

How does the origin launcher work on it? I have some games through that I would like to try

Can still download mods from places like nexus mods?

And how do the dragon age games play? The first dragon age being free on origin years back is what got me into PC gaming to begin with

I also have a few questions about the steam deck for those that have one

How does the origin launcher work on it? I have some games through that I would like to try

Can still download mods from places like nexus mods?

And how do the dragon age games play? The first dragon age being free on origin years back is what got me into PC gaming to begin with
I can answer one of those questions for now. I'm assuming we're talking about using Steam OS, since all of these will obviously work fine if you download Windows

The Origin Launcher does work, but it's a bit of an involved setup. Haven't tested too much but Jedi Fallen Order seems to launch OK (used this guide for setup)

I don't know about mods, but I think they should work. Might not be as straightforward as with Windows

I do have Dragon Age Inquisition on Origin, but haven't given it a shot yet. I'll let you know if I do and how it works out

I can answer one of those questions for now. I'm assuming we're talking about using Steam OS, since all of these will obviously work fine if you download Windows

The Origin Launcher does work, but it's a bit of an involved setup. Haven't tested too much but Jedi Fallen Order seems to launch OK (used this guide for setup)

I don't know about mods, but I think they should work. Might not be as straightforward as with Windows

I do have Dragon Age Inquisition on Origin, but haven't given it a shot yet. I'll let you know if I do and how it works out

Thanks for that. Dragon age games are sone of my favorites and wanted steam deck as an easier way to replay then , especially through mods

Inquisition especially

Thanks for that. Dragon age games are sone of my favorites and wanted steam deck as an easier way to replay then , especially through mods

Inquisition especially
Looking into it a bit more according to this video

It should work (this is on Steam OS and through the Origin Launcher), but you'll probably need to reconfigure the controls at least

It should work (this is on Steam OS and through the Origin Launcher), but you'll probably need to reconfigure the controls at least

Yeah that sounds good to me, thanks. I’ve just not found much info on the games on steam deck. Guess they’re not high priority for most people for it

Mods do not work under Linux, btw. They're specifically written/made with the Windows versions in mind, at least in a majority of cases (I'm sure there are the odd ones with native Linux versions out there); basically: don't expect to be able to mod your games on the Deck (for now?).

Ok, I've read up on mods and as far as I can tell, results vary heavily depending on the type of mod, i.e. is it a script, visual modification, other under-the-hood changes, etc.

Guess we'll basically have to find out on a case by case basis?!

I think the main problem with Inquisition is it doesn't want to recognise the Steam Deck controls as a gamepad, so you have to play with the mouse and keyboard UI which isn't great. Obviously you can remap the Steam Deck buttons to whatever actions you want but the UI is still stuck.

Just got the new one! Seems all good so far and it seems a lot faster and also recognises my 5Ghz network. happy that I did an RMA. Time to tinker!

Did get my 512GB model finally delivered. I think I don't keep it.
I was thrilled to get back into PC gaming, when I looked at my Steam libary I found out that I have most games already on my Switch, or that I just don't care anymore. It's an impressive device and as a student I would have been all in.

My experience with the Deck is quite poor so far to be honest games that are 'certified' for it perform well below their minimum requirements, Arkham City never actually loads ands just sits behind a Deck loading screen despite actually hearing the full main screen sounds in the backgrounds....plus I had my R1 shoulder pad die after <10 hours of using it.

DOOM 2016 still doesn't perform at default settings above 20 fps and has a weird bug that whenever you move it sets your camera looking straight upward? Like if you touch the right stick at all it just gravitates straight up. And this is an approved game! Maybe my Deck is defective but gosh dang it's been a disappointment so far.

If I place a reservation now, do I really have to wait till at least October for one?
That's likely, yeah. Valve's production capacities are really not that great.
Maybe my Deck is defective but gosh dang it's been a disappointment so far.
Definitely sounds like your Deck's at fault here; there's still some weirdness to the system overall, but what you're describing here is certainly off. Can you still do an RMA?

Oh, the irony -- now my Deck's having issues as well. It simply doesn't want to work anymore when "docked", rebooting all the time. Has been fine before with the very same monitor and USB C dock, so it's gotta be something else, I guess.
Handheld is still working as expected, though, which makes this whole situation pretty weird and hard to figure out right now.

Definitely sounds like your Deck's at fault here; there's still some weirdness to the system overall, but what you're describing here is certainly off. Can you still do an RMA?
I'm in the process since my R1 button up and died with <10 hours of use. Must have gotten a Friday unit!

Oh, the irony -- now my Deck's having issues as well. It simply doesn't want to work anymore when "docked", rebooting all the time. Has been fine before with the very same monitor and USB C dock, so it's gotta be something else, I guess.
Handheld is still working as expected, though, which makes this whole situation pretty weird and hard to figure out right now.
Is this on the beta software?

It is, yeah. Was there another update by chance? The first SteamOS 3.2 beta, introducing the refresh rate slider, had no issues whatsoever.
Not sure, sorry. I think that channel is updated very frequently though so might have been that. Did you try switching over to stable to see if that resolved it?

Just tried out Spyro 1 on my Steam Deck, running through Emu Deck, and it runs pretty great! Only problem is it didn't save any of my data one I turned the game off. Do I not have the appropriate Bios files installed? Everything should be running off retroarch.

Can someone help me figure out what I'm doimg wrong?

Last edited:
Not sure, sorry. I think that channel is updated very frequently though so might have been that. Did you try switching over to stable to see if that resolved it?
Not yet; that would've been my last resort, because I really don't want to miss out on the option to play at 40 fps or on the new fan curve. I'd rather have a broken docked game mode, then. 😅

Not yet; that would've been my last resort, because I really don't want to miss out on the option to play at 40 fps or on the new fan curve. I'd rather have a broken docked game mode, then. 😅
I'm really looking forward to that making it's way to the stable channel - I don't want to try the beta channel because I don't want the (admittedly small) risk of something going wrong. 😅

I'm really looking forward to that making it's way to the stable channel - I don't want to try the beta channel because I don't want the (admittedly small) risk of something going wrong. 😅
Believe me, I'll be back to stable asap once those two key changes make their way over there. Right now there are many little quirks where I'm not sure if they're due to the Beta channel OS or Proton or Linux in general or Steam itself or ... and so on. Cloud saves not working all the time, docked mode being busted, some games randomly not booting/only doing so after rebooting the entire system, notifications popping up despite being disabled when in-game, not being able to move some titles back from the SD to the SSD for whatever reason (seems to be a well known issue, though, at least), and so on and so forth.

I'd suggest most people stick to stable, and even then there are still enough little issues. But the two key changes above were enough to convince me to give Beta a go.

My RMA replacement finally shipped. It arrived at their warehouse on April 26th, so 9 business days before the replacement was shipped out. Not great, but not that bad.

I don't think I'm going to keep it though. I wasn't that impressed from my brief time using it, so I'll probably just try to sell it. Although I'm not really sure the best way to go about that. Ebay seems a little shady and likely to get scammed. I guess I could try to just sell it locally via Facebook, or something like that.

I don't understand the play of Valve here. Shipping orders a year after if lucky and preordered day one, maybe two to three years later if the order is from today. What will happen if they release a successor? Will customers have to wait 4 or more years to get the console? How did they though that making 4k/5k units per week was a good idea?

I don't understand the play of Valve here. Shipping orders a year after if lucky and preordered day one, maybe two to three years later if the order is from today. What will happen if they release a successor? Will customers have to wait 4 or more years to get the console? How did they though that making 4k/5k units per week was a good idea?
Not sure where 2-3 years later is coming from - if you were to order today it seems highly unlikely you wouldn’t have one by this time next year. It sucks that there is such limited supply but that’s every major console at the moment and Valve have significantly ramped up production already in the time since launch. If you’re including the time since announcement to it actually shipping, that was only about 9 months which is less time than both the PS5 and XSX from their announcement until availability.

Been playing around with PS streaming via Chiaki, and I gotta say: the Deck does a solid to great job here.
It's amazing to see people having controler layouts ready for Chiaki via SteamOS' game mode. It'd have been a pain in the ass to map the PS/Home button to something, trying to figure out how to map it to one of the Deck's buttons, I mean. But then there was this community profile already, and that did the trick for me, making R5 the PS/Home button. Excellent stuff.

Sadly, my connection doesn't seem to be good enough (or is it due to the PS4 Slim hardware? Not sure!). There are many audio and video distortions, and a bit of lag, even if it's rather small.
Ain't too much fun this way, even if it works great on Deck in principal. I'd rather they'd have P5, Sakura Wars, and Bloodborne on PC/Switch in whatever constellation possible than having to play them via subpar streaming. :-(
(Yes, I'm basically port begging. Sue me!)
Natively running versions ftw!

Back
Top Bottom