• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Steam Deck Discussion |ST| Big Deck Energy

That's a good point, and I think that's also why Valve crammed as much into the Deck as they did. Even down the line when a follow-up or revision of the Switch releases, it likely won't have stuff like track pads, capacitive sticks, and back buttons, or allow the user to extensively tweak things about the software running on it, how you interact with it input-wise, and so on. So the Deck will still have a few differentiating features when it does eventually become the weaker hardware.
Oh of course, but when im talking about hardware i mean mostly the hardware power as in SoC. Thats what most people care about since it directly affects the the games you are able to play and their quality.

Ofc there will be plenty of reasons for a SteamDeck regardless of the hardware power...the same way there will be still be plenty of reasons to own and stick to Switch post Deck release....or the 3DS...or etc. - well you get the point.

Thats why the either or mentality is weird, none of these system can replace the other 1:1.

Ive always been a PC x Nintendo gamer and the Deck is gonna replace my HTPC that i was about to upgrade before the Covid crazyness hit. Best of both world imo.

Between Deck and Switch/Switch 4k, portable gamers are gonna eat like crazy the next couple years - good times ahead.

Wish I could trade out my 512gb preorder for the 256gb. I had no idea it would be matte versus glossy( I don't know much about anti glare screens.). I much prefer the pop from glossy screens, so, I was disappointed to learn the highest tier is going to look a tad muted to the others. Still, I'm super excited for this device. I'm hope the device does very well so we keep seeing better and better iterations of it.

Wish I could trade out my 512gb preorder for the 256gb. I had no idea it would be matte versus glossy( I don't know much about anti glare screens.). I much prefer the pop from glossy screens, so, I was disappointed to learn the highest tier is going to look a tad muted to the others. Still, I'm super excited for this device. I'm hope the device does very well so we keep seeing better and better iterations of it.
Does the 512 version actually have more "muted" colours? I have seen people concerned about this from a comparison made from Linus' channel but I've later seen a better comparison that showed no difference in pop at all.

Edit: found this: Only dim in direct sunlight
Another discussion about it
Animation where there seems to be no difference

Last edited:
Does the 512 version actually have more "muted" colours? I have seen people concerned about this from a comparison made from Linus' channel but I've later seen a better comparison that showed no difference in pop at all.

Edit: found this: Only dim in direct sunlight
Another discussion about it
Animation where there seems to be no difference
Definitely more muted when light is hitting the screen from what I've seen. That's also consistent with my experience in matte versus glossy displays.

Definitely more muted when light is hitting the screen from what I've seen. That's also consistent with my experience in matte versus glossy displays.
Sure, but the standard screen will suffer from reflecting the light then, so... Neither solution is ideal in my eyes, but I also prefer the non edged screen.

Playing in any bright environment will probably never be a great/perfect experience with a handheld either way.

Sure, but the standard screen will suffer from reflecting the light then, so... Neither solution is ideal in my eyes, but I also prefer the non edged screen.

Playing in any bright environment will probably never be a great/perfect experience with a handheld either way.
Yeah, I'm not saying there's anything necessarily wrong with the matte anti glare version, just stating my preference is all.

I think one of the more interesting aspects is that it will provide a specific pc platform hardware target that may sit next to medium called steam deck. I wonder if AMD will release the SoC separately or in a partnership as a mini itx or smaller platform. I could see something from simplynuc or gigabyte for instance.
From a non-Deck buyer perspective, the intriguing aspect of this is that if the Deck (be it v1, or whichever future version(s) in the long term) gets big enough to become a significant standard/bar in PC land, then it should have an implicit knock on effect on the viability and longevity of laptops and budget desktop builds. Hell, maybe even integrated graphics in desktop space in a DDR5 and beyond world.
...and considering the direction in which the discrete graphics card market is trending, I would say that Steam Deck standard(s) would be welcome for the mass market.

Another Article:

As we approach launch for the Steam Deck in December, Valve has begun ramping up their info for developers with the announcement of a Steamworks Virtual Conference.

Taking place on Friday, November 12, starting at 10AM PT / 5PM UTC the topic will be specifically for the Steam Deck this time, covering these subjects:

• Steam Deck Hardware
  • Development without a dev-kit
  • Steam on Deck
  • Proton Support
  • Steam Input
  • Steam Deck Verified
  • APU deep dive with AMD

Dang I was originally slotted "early 2022" so guessing this pushes me to "summer 2022".

Excited as I was for the announcement, I always wondered how Valve would fare w mass production of a device w/ likely order of magnitude higher order #s then what they have made previously*.
(*Thinking of Index)

The packaging is great. It's shipped in it's carrying case in a box printed with things like 'on the toilet' on the inside.

An update from Durante at MetaCouncil:
A few Steam Deck updates:
  • It's interesting how generally, "better" (Windows) ports run much better in Proton on Deck, even if they are more demanding games. I have several rather low-effort K-T or IF ports that have various issues (none of which should be secret, just check the proton github tracker), but e.g. Valkria Chronicles 4 (still one of the very best ports of any JRPG-style game IMHO) runs perfectly at 150% supersampling.
  • Suspend/resume got way faster in the last system update. It's now literally a second or two.

Steam Deck Deposit Events | "Steam Deck Case - 512GB"
920e77832f76fe0957d8c1221923eb3c7640d5dd.jpg

We recently posted pictures of the Steam Deck dev kits and final packaging. Today we're sharing one additional piece - the exclusive case that's limited to the 512 GB Steam Deck model.

Similar to the 256GB and 64GB models, the 512GB model comes shipped in a carrying case (which we decided to use as the actual packaging, rather than a traditional box). All cases are functionally identical, but there are cosmetic differences in the 512GB case's details: The outer Steam Deck logo is a different color, the zipper pulls are different, and the case's interior fabric is different. There are also two small additions to the 512GB case that the others don't have: a separate drawstring pouch for the power cord, and a microfiber cleaning cloth.

We've also included a look at the back of the case, so you can see the built-in storage pocket and elastic retaining band. This pocket is included in the carrying case for all models, and can be used for storing accessories (or a snack - you do you).

We hope that you get lots of use out of your carrying case - it's definitely built to last the lifetime of the product, so let us know how you end up using yours.

60a418c9e5ef3285001c46bc38e6cfc0ff8b7d2f.jpg

7d00dc99aea6b81357fa8a50e149f411a44f767c.jpg

554369c5948c579b160ef22512c2f054b6fce214.jpg

dbb4db8ef6048a2364586571cdcc64b7fdff2224.jpg

No matter which model Steam Deck you ordered, we hope you enjoyed seeing these details. Let us know what you think and watch this space for more news, soon!

Plus some more games #OnDeck:

The Steam Deck team identified about 50 components that were "high risk"—potentially difficult to get in the quantities they'd need. Members of the team have been devoted to ensuring they have commitments from manufacturing partners and that those parts will actually show up in time.

"The primary reason we had to move from the end of this year to the beginning of next, is a couple of those parts were really hard to get on time," Coomer said. "They ended up being late. It really came down to just a couple. They're in the category of like, microchip type ICs that are hard to get from multiple sources, and when lots of people are clamoring for those parts—just like cars have had those shortages with specific integrated circuits—we were in a similar situation. We almost got to the point where it was smooth sailing out of all those 50 things, but it wasn't quite the case. So it came down to that."

I like how candid Valve has been with the Steam Deck. Still hurts to know it was just a couple components that prevented the Steam Deck from being in our hands right now.

I was Q1 before the delay and still am, so I'm expecting March for me, but I suppose you never know.

There goes the dream of a Steam Deck delivering the first week of February.

At this point, I just want Valve to take payment and ship it whenever it's available. I feel like I'm checking the Steam Deck page multiple times per day just to make sure I didn't miss my payment window.

Here's your release date lads.
Note that this is merely the date they'll start letting people fully pay for their pre-orders, the actual shipping date is the 28th at earliest.
The 25th is also when the embargo for reviewers ends. So expect a ton of coverage around this point.

Still Q1 for me -- wonder what exactly that'll lead to. March shipment is what I'm expecting at this point.

Early impressions/reviews are super promising.

While I'm more hyped by the Direct at this moment, I'm looking forward to when my spot in the line gets called ... Whatever summer month that is 😛

Steam Deck is the Switch Pro I've been waiting for, but sadly they're not allowing reservations here in Norway, as the country isn't directly a part of the EU :/

Does anyone live in Sweden here? who could potentially get it for me and forward it to me? :)

Just got my email to order my 256GB model. Now to wait for the actual thing to ship and get here. Super excited!

Just got my email! Probably will wait a couple of days to order and then charge it so I can pay it off the following day.... would've been easier if my 3-day range included payday, but such is life.

I love this device. I've been switching between God of War, Guilty Gear Strive, Dirt 5, Space Invaders Extreme, Geometry Wars, Peggle and a variety of card games like Cat Lady and Wingspan.

The layout works so well. You can easily shift your hands between standard gamepad layout and the trackpads depending on the type of games you're playing.

The software does feel a bit janky. Guilty Gear Strive's framerate tanks if I forget to adjust the SteamOS 30fps limiter and God of War becomes unplayable if SteamOS is downloading something in the background. I also wish you could adjust the trackpad sensitivity since they're a bit too sensitive, but I'm sure that will come in a future update.

I really hope Valve can increase production since they seem to only be releasing ~1000 units per model / per region / per week.

Just completed my Deck order (the Steam client even kicked me out of Nier in the middle of a fight to get me to complete the order - wtf)

I look forward to your impressions.
I'm honestly probably as excited as I am anxious based on what I've read and seen and heard these past couple days and weeks, lol
In other words: please let me have a win in the fan lottery, Valve! 😂

I got mine today. It's wider than I expected, but actually feels comfortable and the grips are very nice.

The SteamOS interface is fairly slick, a much better version of Big Picture Mode. You can hold down the power button to switch to a Linux desktop, which is functional (the right trackpad moves the mouse). My only issue with the desktop is that the Steam keyboard shortcut (Steam button + X) works... kinda when it feels like it, which definitely needs looking at as it hamstrings the desktop mode unless you have a physical keyboard.

I tried a few games so far, mostly just testing for now but so far:

PSO Blue Burst
I wasn't really expecting this one to run, it's an old non-Steam game which I play on the Ephinea server. The best I could do with it was getting to the main menu (with Wine downloaded through the Discover store, Proton would not boot the game at all), but the game would not recognise enter (or backspace) on the Steam keyboard so I couldn't enter my log in details.

I'm sure I could emulate one of the older Dreamcast/Gamecube versions, but I would have liked access to all my characters and the BB content. Ah well.

PPSSPP (PSP emulator)
Grabbed this from the Discover store, not sure if the Retroarch version is the same? Works well enough, some minor frame drops and stutters but nothing that really ruins the experience.

Dead Cells
Ran perfectly. Not surprising since Valve liked to show this one off.

Amid Evil
Ran really well. Has gyro and right trackpad aiming as well as the thumbstick. Didn't see an option to turn off gyro in-game, assume you need to do a controller profile for that.

It did freeze the Steam Deck when I quit though. Had to power off and restart.

Grim Dawn
Some framerate drops, though turning down settings helped with this. Unfortunately, after a few minutes of killing enemies the game froze and I had to quit through the Steam menu. A bit worrying considering this is Playable with the only issue being text size.

... so some mixed results, but we're in on the ground floor here and I would hope any early adopter would expect some issues. Hopefully Valve are on top of fixing them and improving the experience.

Back
Top Bottom