• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation State of Play, September 13th, 3 PM PT / 11 PM BST, about 20 minutes long, 10 games will be shown

Rise of the Ronin killed me more than I could have ever imagined. That whole trailer I was praying it was Way of the Samurai 5 and now that it wasn't I'm sad we're probably never gonna get Way of the Samurai 5.

Lol at “temper expectations”

that was incredible. It blew the direct out of the water imo

Tekken 8 looks insane

Galaxy’s Edge VR blew my mind. Between this and Horizon VR, my hype for PSVR2 cannot be contained. Even the DND-like VR game looked awesome

Yakuza and Rise of Ronin also impressed me. Rise of Ronin especially looked great.

and finally, God of War. Oh my god God of War. That trailer was so good it’s convinced me to finally play GoW 2018.

I didn’t care about the mech game or Project Eve, but everything else was amazing. 9/10 for me

It seems I'm unfashionably late... - K-yonetta, probably

Wanted to see Project Eve, saw Project Eve, tempering in shambles.

Sounds like the Ragnarok trailer was hype as hell. On media blackout for that but it's great that it's shaping up awesomely!

Wow Tekken looks sooooooo good. I haven't played Tekken since 3 and I remember being blown away by the graphics at the time. That's how this trailer made me feel.

Very good State Of Play, a lot of it looked really good - zero chance there is a PS Showcase this year now imo - they'll have a God Of War State Of Play before launch and show something at TGA and that's our lot for 2022. I wouldn't be shocked if there is a Feb/March showcase though with PSVR2 preorders and Spider-Man, TLOU MP etc...

Tekken 8 looks insane

Galaxy’s Edge VR blew my mind. Between this and Horizon VR, my hype for PSVR2 cannot be contained. Even the DND-like VR game looked awesome

Yakuza and Rise of Ronin also impressed me. Rise of Ronin especially looked great.

and finally, God of War. Oh my god God of War. That trailer was so good it’s convinced me to finally play GoW 2018.

I didn’t care about the mech game or Project Eve, but everything else was amazing. 9/10 for me
It absolutely did not beat the Direct, lol, not even close. At least not for me. But I don't care about fighting games or GoW at all (or VR). The only game that really interested me was Eve (new title whatever it was) and maybe Ronin, but it's kind of hard to get too excited about those when they're who-knows-when 2023 and 2024 or later.

But I recognize I'm not really the prime PS5 market, given that I got the system pretty much just for Souls-likes and RPGs.

Tekken 8 looks insane

Sorry I just realized that probably came across as really dismissive of you, I didn't mean that. I'm glad you found a lot to like! I got more than enough for me in the Direct, I'm good for a while I think. I still need to have my 'VR moment', but so far it hasn't arrived yet

Sorry I just realized that probably came across as really dismissive of you, I didn't mean that. I'm glad you found a lot to like! I got more than enough for me in the Direct, I'm good for a while I think. I still need to have my 'VR moment', but so far it hasn't arrived yet
Hey no problem! I was gonna reply to you and say something like “you and I must have very different taste in video games”, lol. Cause I loved this SoP, but the direct didn’t do much for me.

As for VR, I’ve got a Quest 2 and I really like it, but I feel like it’s lacking “AAA” games, for lack of a better term. I want to see big, flashy, meaty single-player VR games with a lot of depth, and I feel like PSVR2 is a step in that direction. I have high hopes for Horizon VR. I just found out that Galaxy’s Edge is actually a port from the Quest, so that deflates my hype as bit for that one.

Just watched the SoP.
  • Tekken 8 looks dope already but I’m still miffed we don’t have handheld Tekken.
  • We don’t have enough mech games so while Syn Duality looks average gameplay-wise I’d still take a whack at it.
  • GoW Ragnarok looks like a good, meaty sequel, but I’m in no hurry to play it.
  • No interest in VR games.
So yeah, it was alright. Still not buying a PS5 anytime soon haha.

Hey no problem! I was gonna reply to you and say something like “you and I must have very different taste in video games”, lol. Cause I loved this SoP, but the direct didn’t do much for me.

As for VR, I’ve got a Quest 2 and I really like it, but I feel like it’s lacking “AAA” games, for lack of a better term. I want to see big, flashy, meaty single-player VR games with a lot of depth, and I feel like PSVR2 is a step in that direction. I have high hopes for Horizon VR. I just found out that Galaxy’s Edge is actually a port from the Quest, so that deflates my hype as bit for that one.
I have an odd mix of broad genre love but also rather niche taste in games on the whole, it's true :p

Staff Communication
Famiboards has a blanket rule of no discussion for the wizard game. Please DM a mod to reopen the community thread about this if you would like to continue that discussion.

Well, after the okay-to-good Direct, this SoP was right in line with what I was and am expecting from these PS shows. Deflating is probably the most fitting description here.

Project Eve or Stellar Blade is probably the most interesting on paper, but all the jiggle is just making me cringe.

I'd say both the SoP and Direct were pretty good. Nintendo had more new reveals, while Sony had bigger ones, but I'd say they're about even with eachother.

Tekken 8 looks insane

I thought it was better as well and I have zero interest in VR. Trailers actually having gameplay and being well constructed helps a lot. Felt the direct (which probably has as many or more games I’ll actually play) started great, then dragged and ended with not a lot of great showings from Nintendo themselves. This one just was a better presentation to me.

Decent show. Most of the stuff shown were 2023 and beyond, but there are a few games that I am definitely interested in.

Tekken 8 looks insane

This was me. Like, I was already planning for the feast that is Wo Long, and then here comes Ronin! Team Ninja just making sure that I'm staying good and fed. Compared to the Direct, where I largely felt like I got up early for a mostly middling show.

And 2024 isn't that far away, if you think about. To paraphrase someone else from Era, that's only 15 months away. That's like the equivalent of 5 Nioh demos! 🤣

I thought it was a good showing and I think Sony have started to find a groove with these now. There's been a laser-like focus in the last couple that have put them head and shoulders above previous efforts.

I have a lot of affection for the Tekken franchise, so that reveal warmed my heart. God of War looked incredible and the trailer gave me a welcome sense of renewed enthusiasm after I'd cooled on the game (I've played all the console games and 2018 was my GoTY, so I was always going to get it though).

Stellar Blade, Yakuza, Rise of Ronin... it was a tight a show with good stuff in it.

While I think it's hard to compare the content of the presentations as Sony and Nintendo are radically different in that regard, I thought the former delivered a better production. Nintendo's showing lacked the flow I'd expect from them and had some odd moments.

Tekken 8 looks insane

My biggest issue with the show is nothing they showed is coming out anytime soon besides for the previously confirmed cross gen games like GoW Ragnarok and a banned game. As someone who finally got a ps5, it feels like some great, actual exclusives to play on the thing are still anywhere from 9 to 24 months out which is incredibly frustrating. It really hurt the overall impact the show could have had.

Edit: Looking back at the last state of play, all of the big games from that are also still not out yet (SF6, RE4Make, Callisto Protocol, FFXVI) which just further compounds my frustration with this SoP.

My biggest issue with the show is nothing they showed is coming out anytime soon besides for the previously confirmed cross gen games like GoW Ragnarok and a banned game.
This is where I’m at. Lots of cool announcements on paper but these won’t materialize for a long time. Way more excited for stuff I’ll be able to play in a few months.

Tekken 8 looks insane

That's your opinion, for most it will be the opposite, which will also be quantifiable by an insurmountable difference in software sales in Switchs lineups favour. Another very important difference is the fact that the Direct focused on immediate releases, while SoP was mostly a bunch of uncommited 2013/2014 target years.

Last edited:
I thought this was better than the Direct, to be honest. Better paced, punchier announcements, better trailers overall.

That's your opinion, for most it will be the opposite, which will also be quantifiable by an insurmountable difference in software sales in Switchs lineups favour. Another very important difference is the fact that the Direct focused on immediate releases, while SoP was mostly a bunch of uncommited 2013/2014 target years.
This is such a corny ass post.

Oooookay

All I’m saying is I liked the SoP better than the direct. But go off I guess

This is such a corny ass post.
The show lacked content even after no show around the "E3 timeframe". Just take a look at their 1st party release schedule.

This state of play highlights the unprecedented slow pace of their 1st party output, which they try to hide with deals for indy games Like Sifu and Stray. And by teasing a bunch of games with no set release date.

Look I agree with you on the SoPs announcing games so far off into the future they don't even seem real. That said to bring in sales numbers is a losing battle when the first game they showed off in yesterday's SoP was Tekken 8. the last Tekken game sold 9 million copies worldwide, meaning the only game bigger shown in the ND is Tears of the Kingdom.

Look I agree with you on the SoPs announcing games so far off into the future they don't even seem real. That said to bring in sales numbers is a losing battle when the first game they showed off in yesterday's SoP was Tekken 8. the last Tekken game sold 9 million copies worldwide, meaning the only game bigger shown in the ND is Tears of the Kingdom.

It was just one metric to quantify general interest, and no one with a little bit of interest in software sales would bet against the actual claim I made. It's simply the most likely outcome.

The show lacked content even after no show around the "E3 timeframe". Just take a look at their 1st party release schedule.

This state of play highlights the unprecedented slow pace of their 1st party output, which they try to hide with deals for indy games Like Sifu and Stray. And by teasing a bunch of games with no set release date.
You responded to someone who liked the SoP by tripping over yourself and going "yeah well akshually that's your opinion none of those games will sell 20 million copies so it's bad" and comparing it to the sales potential of games in the Direct or something. No one is talking about sales or bringing them up but you.

We got a bunch of pretty cool video game™️ news yesterday just let people be excited over it without turning it into unsolicited platform warring.

You responded to someone who liked the SoP by tripping over yourself and going "yeah well akshually that's your opinion none of those games will sell 20 million copies so it's bad" and comparing it to the sales potential of games in the Direct or something. No one is talking about sales or bringing them up but you.

We got a bunch of pretty cool video game™️ news yesterday just let people be excited over it without turning it into unsolicited platform w

Don't be surprised If there is a reaction to "It blew the direct out of the water imo". I actually don't care what you prefer, that's fine either way, but if someone has to be inflammatory about it, I'm happy to voice my opinion as well, especially after such an underwhelming year for PS5 with a mediocre at best presentation after no show in Summer and even worse anti consumer moves like price hiking.

Don't be surprised If there is a reaction to "It blew the direct out of the water imo". I actually don't care what you prefer, that's fine either way, but if someone has to be inflammatory about it, I'm happy to voice my opinion as well, especially after such an underwhelming year for PS5 with a mediocre at best presentation after no show in Summer and even worse anti consumer moves like price hiking.
Saying I liked the SoP better than the direct is inflammatory now?

Thor snapping his fingers to summon Mjolnir was more hype than 95% of the Direct and I actually liked the Direct.

• I loved the Tekken 8-trailer, but I really wonder if they can maintain this look for the eventual game?
  • Surprised to see Like a Dragon: Ishin. Would have never expected that.
  • I am completely intrigued by Stellar Blade. Yes, it looks nothing special, but the characters and story sound very interesting to me.
  • I want to like Rise of the Ronin, but there is something there that just feels weird, like the game will get repetitive and boring half way

All in all a cool showing. Cool games coming up! Still no way to get a PS5 but no redesign and a higher price nowadays make that I can wait before I pick one up.

I don’t think Bandai-Namco would bother, especially since Harada (the director for Tekken) seems to not be that fond of the Switch.
Is that right? That's a shame. I thought Harada was a Switch fan.

Somewhat explains Bandai's lackluster Switch output compared to other Japanese publishers.

Back
Top Bottom