• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation State of Play, September 13th, 3 PM PT / 11 PM BST, about 20 minutes long, 10 games will be shown

damn tomorrow will actually be insane

makes sense why the direct is airing earlier too

Happening
Si9YP8D.gif

"Some great updates from our amazing Japanese partners" sounds like they're doing this to tie into TGS, least on the third party end. I for one welcome Fall E3. Or should we call the June events Summer TGS now?

Kinda fun to have two different platforms on the same day. Each caters to a different subset of gamers. A lot of Ninty fans (like myself) don't care at all for Playstation and stuff and vice versa. Seems like everyone will have something to munch on at least!

Can't wait to see more GOW.
Come on Microsoft, announce an event as well so we can have all 3 of the major players. Its really like E3 but instead for TGS.

I dont want to see any GoW, it's my most anticipated game this year and we're so close now! Hoping we might get a glimpse of Spiderman 2 though finally.

Their wording is very particular. Im expecting mostly smallish stuff, but hopefully they show one or two first party games, like spidey

So...I can have two chances to be disappointed by Mega Man Match being a no show? Awesome! [/s]

So it was Sony that had the Direct Mini all along. Hmm…

I want Spider-Man news but that doesn’t seem likely.

10 games? hmm

1 VR game
2 new games
7 updates to games

I bet it's mostly stuff going to be at Tokyo Game Show so probably nothing too far off.

We’re gonna go over a year since the last Sony showcase huh.

The only 1st party announcements since the PS5 reveal were God of War, Spider-Man 2, and Wolverine, and those past two have no gameplay. Bleh.

Might not catch this one live like the Direct, but cool! The last one was excellent.

Somehow Insomniac will announce another 3 games while all the other PlayStation studios watch from the shadows.

SH2 and Tecmo's feudal Japan game are likely to get revealed there. This is a "reveal games for TGS" presentation, I expect it to be Japan heavy.
Somehow Insomniac will announce another 3 games while all the other PlayStation studios watch from the shadows.
Their games are probably over $100 million projects that are years away from getting revealed. I'd be surprised if we find out Sucker Punch's next game before 2024.

I fail to understand Jim Ryan's AAA only strategy. Just allow your studios do whatever they please, including lower budget games. Why have quality over quantity when you can have both?

It’ll be funny if things like FF Pixel Remaster or Crisis Core Reunion end up shown at both presentations

September 13th is the real e3.
While I agree with this on principle (TGS has been my jam more than E3 in recent years), if Sony rolled up to E3 with 10 games in a 20 minute video there would be a lot of angry forum posters, unless they’re packing some serious big guns.

My generous expectation for this is 15 minutes on GoW and a sizzle reel for everything else. With 20 minutes to talk about 10 games across three platforms they don’t have a lot of wiggle room so I think one big game game getting most of the focus is going to be their strategy.

Also, going 8 hours after what’s likely to be a jammed Direct does not seem wise when SoPs always get dumped on for the awkward pacing. Inviting direct comparisons is not going to be in Sony’s best interest but we’ll see what both companies bring to the table tomorrow.

I wonder how Sony and Nintendo talk about this stuff to each other or if Nintendo just has a bunch of Sony insiders. I mean having presentations on the same day is for sure not in the interest for both of them, but they at least knew from each other a few days beforehand. Otherwise Nintendo wouldn‘t had chosen such an unusual airing time.

I wonder how Sony and Nintendo talk about this stuff to each other or if Nintendo just has a bunch of Sony insiders. I mean having presentations on the same day is for sure not in the interest for both of them, but they at least knew from each other a few days beforehand.
Their marketing teams probably talk to each other as there's likely contractual things with third parties around who gets to reveal something first

While I agree with this on principle (TGS has been my jam more than E3 in recent years), if Sony rolled up to E3 with 10 games in a 20 minute video there would be a lot of angry forum posters, unless they’re packing some serious big guns.

My generous expectation for this is 15 minutes on GoW and a sizzle reel for everything else. With 20 minutes to talk about 10 games across three platforms they don’t have a lot of wiggle room so I think one big game game getting most of the focus is going to be their strategy.

Also, going 8 hours after what’s likely to be a jammed Direct does not seem wise when SoPs always get dumped on for the awkward pacing. Inviting direct comparisons is not going to be in Sony’s best interest but we’ll see what both companies bring to the table tomorrow.
I see it this way: Sony doesn't regard e3 as a major event for them any longer, so having both of them this close is the best we probably get. And yes, Nintendo will overwhelmingly dominate the news, no doubt about that.

But reading the tweet, the focus will be Japanese titles in preparation for TGS, so I don't expect any 1st party titles, and definitely not 15 minutes of GoW. That will get its very own SoP.

This is interesting. My guess is we may see up to half a dozen third party games at both this and Nintendo's Direct.

Back
Top Bottom