• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

PlayStation State of Play announced for Feb. 23rd at 1PM PT/9PM GMT| PSVR2, Indies/Third Party Reveals, & Suicide Squad Extended Look

Yeah that was dire.

T'chia looks lovely though and excited I get to play it for free before I let my PS Extra expire forever in July.

Pretty strong first half, then it fell off till SF6 and RE4. I actually think the VR games look good, but then I think I’m the only person on this entire website that likes VR sooo.

Overall, not the best presentation they’ve done. A RE4R demo shadowdrop could have saved the show.

Got complacent thinking this would good just because the last 2 were.

Capcom carried it. Humanity looked neat tho.

actually that was a pretty disappointing show. i hyped myself up with MGS and FF9R so i guess i have myself to blame, but there really wasn’t much here.

actually that was a pretty disappointing show. i hyped myself up with MGS and FF9R so i guess i have myself to blame, but there really wasn’t much here.

I know you're disappointed by lack of farming simulators. You were expecting at least 5 or 12 and you didn't get it.

Naruto was the highlight for me, but overall I wish Sony would remember how to do good presentations again.

Suicide Squad Kill the Purple Orbs looks like one of the worst games I've ever seen

Sony is lucky that they're tight with Capcom and Square Enix. They're the only ones ever bringing anything good to these presentations, and when one or the other is absent like from this one, you can feel it

The Foglands looks cool, I wanna see more of that. Before Your Eyes looks incredible. Humanity looked good, but it’s not my thing. SF6 and RE4R were the highlights, but we’ve seen a lot of those two already. And to be honest I didn’t watch any of the Suicide Squad stuff.

Suicide Squad Kill the Purple Orbs looks like one of the worst games I've ever seen
didn’t the guardians game look like “kill the purple jell-o cubes?” Lot of studies making comic properties liking to make the enemies primary colored geometric shapes.

Yeah these things really are just State of Capcom for me lol
Capcom are to State of Plays what Square Enix are to Nintendo Directs.

Anyway I was planning on watching this, but got distracted playing Theatrhythm; sounds like I didn't miss much though lol.

didn’t the guardians game look like “kill the purple jell-o cubes?” Lot of studies making comic properties liking to make the enemies primary colored geometric shapes.
Yeah, opening with the jelly cube killing section of the game wasn't a great choice. Especially since those aren't even super prevalent in that game, you spend most of it fighting humanoid enemies, like you'd probably expect.

But meanwhile, this one's putting the purple blobs on everything and it's kind of blowing my mind. Fighting a tank? Shoot the purple blob. Giant gun turret? Purple blob, shoot it. Infantry? Purple motherfucking blobs. I can't believe someone thought that was a good idea.

Just caught up on the SOP. It was less of "here are new announcements" and more "here is a reminder of what is coming". What I liked:

-Street Fighter 6 videos: Seriously, I want that game yesterday
-T'chia is alive! Thanks for putting it on PS Plus! Day 1 hype!
-More PS Plus games coming like the PS5 ports of Uncharted 4/LL
-Gothem Knights: I am definitely more sold on that game after today. Won't be day 1, but it on the Josh radar now.

Nothing first party wise. I figured at most we would see Horizon DLC, but that is ok. Also, are we sure Hell Divers 2 is a thing?

I'm really glad I didn't go the PS route and instead built my gaming PC, literally the only thing that interested me was RE4.

Sat down to watch it. That was fairly dire. Some of the updates looked good (Street Fighter VI in particular looks stunning), but nothing new caught my eye. I might have been willing to give Lost Planet DC Destiny a chance, but always online is a complete dealbreaker.

Won't lie, I completely forgot about Humanity. That was probably my favorite part of the show alongside that awesome RE4 trailer. Looks so goofy, I was cracking up for the whole trailer.

Pretty strong first half, then it fell off till SF6 and RE4. I actually think the VR games look good, but then I think I’m the only person on this entire website that likes VR sooo.

Overall, not the best presentation they’ve done. A RE4R demo shadowdrop could have saved the show.
I respect and have an interest in vr

I don't $550 have respect and interest in vr

Just an anecdote and hope its not a huge derial, but given the recent Microsoft and Nintendo directs are fresh, On youtube, this SOP only have about 690k views on the main upload, vs a Nintendo Direct which would be in 1.5-2 million range on the NOA upload right off the bat, 6 to 700k would be the live viewership numbers. I think there's something to be said about directs being much more of an event compare to Sony's or Microsoft's directs.

Probably in the minority but I’m more sold on Suicide Squad now than I was before. I think it looks great. And as usual Capcom saves these things.

Three games I’ll be buying on Xbox though. Hopefully the proper showcase later offers more exclusives.

Skipped over the VR games since I'm not gonna buy a PSVR2.

Notable things:
  • Tchia is looking way better than its previous showing, graphically. Especially loving the animations for the critters. Just running around the game world seems so much fun when you can become a dolphin or a parrot.
  • Humanity is initially seemed like funkier Lemmings but then it gets really funky in the later parts of the trailer. I dig it.
  • Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm Collection is going to make my friend very happy. New characters, too!
  • Baldur's Gate 3 looks AMAZING but that's definitely a PC game for me.
  • Street Fighter 6 introduces more fighters to the roster. Zangief and Cammy look great, especially loving Cammy's new costume. Lily is also very cool, the ball-headed clubs and camera are amusing little touches to her moveset. SF6 is the most I've been excited for Street Fighter possibly ever.
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake seems to be retaining more of the original's campiness than I'd expected, which is great! I'm loving basically everything I'm seeing. Also looks like Luis sticks around more frequently. Man I do not have the time to play this in March.
  • Suicide Squad does look good for what it is, but what it is is not very appealing to me. Plus, always online even for solo play is a dealbreaker.

Just an anecdote and hope its not a huge derial, but given the recent Microsoft and Nintendo directs are fresh, On youtube, this SOP only have about 690k views on the main upload, vs a Nintendo Direct which would be in 1.5-2 million range on the NOA upload right off the bat, 6 to 700k would be the live viewership numbers. I think there's something to be said about directs being much more of an event compare to Sony's or Microsoft's directs.
Sony needs a Showcase, last one one was 2 years ago now I think. Those generally get way more eyes on them but the dev pipeline for the games typically shown in those is probably too long to do them more often.

That Suicide Squad presentation is, uh… not good. I don’t think I can put it in a nicer way.

DC games have all just looked so incredibly unappealing to me since Arkham Knight.

Like Partner Directs, State of Plays are typically very good at setting expectations so I came out pretty content.

Now this wait begins.

Back
Top Bottom