• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation State of Play announced for Feb. 23rd at 1PM PT/9PM GMT| PSVR2, Indies/Third Party Reveals, & Suicide Squad Extended Look

I don't think there's anything I could be less excited about than PSVR2 but I appreciate them being upfront about the content

This is the, what, 4th time I walk into an SoP thread all like GENDESIGN!

And yes, I'm doing it again.

Yoooooooooooo gimme that PSVR2 news

this SOP is gonna be such a disappointment for so many people that aren't me
Grubb said to expect an SoP around this time and a showcase in late May/early June so there is hope.
Yep, I'm definitely going in expecting a more low-key SoP, or at the very least something that has very little in store for me. That said if one is into PSVR 2 or Suicide Squad then they're in for a treat I guess?

Now the Showcase... May please not June ;P

Apparently the SoP is 45 minutes long? If you remove the SS section you get half an hour of stuff which isn't bad.

PS5 Slim, c'mon.

It probably won't be confirmed untill the spring showcase, though.

16 games total.

The first SoP of last year had a few Switch games announced like TMNT Collection, Jojo ASBR and Diofield Chronicles, what are the chances of something similar happening this year? 😅

16 games total.

The first SoP of last year had a few Switch games announced like TMNT Collection, Jojo ASBR and Diofield Chronicles, what are the chances of something similar happening this year? 😅

If any of them are Switch games, we'd have seen them at the Direct. Probably.

No interest in VR and Suicide Squad but I’m all for hot third party and indie reveals mmmm which I’ll probably end up getting for Switch/Steam

Apparently Sony of Japan confirmed it'll have 16 games. Which makes it Suicide Squad, 5 PSVR 2 games, and 10 indie/third party games.

Indie wise, Tchia and Little Devil Inside are solid bets.

Third party wise, I'm sure Capcom will show up with RE4 (plus demo) and Street Fighter. Maybe Square Enix for FF XVI.

PSVR wise, it would be awesome to see them come out with a new Astrobot.

Last edited:
At least they're setting expectations low out of the gate. Have to wait a couple months for the big stuff.

I would like to see more about Stellar Blade but that's a low chance imo.

This should be where we see more SF6 news too.

Hopefully Silksong sees the light of day again.
Need much more in terms of exclusives to be enticed to get a PSVR2. Much more exclusives not available for PC will be the only way I will get it at this point. Unless modders find a way to get it working on PC

Saw this so one of the 10 non-VR games is Destiny 2 Lightfall.

Beyond that, I expect at least one Capcom thing and one Square Enix thing

I feel like playstation has been a little underwhelming on the new announcements front these past two years

They have nothing to announce, they switched all of their teams other than Insomniac (announced their projects years ago) and SSM (just released Ragnarok) over to live service games and it's going to take several years for any of these games to come out.

Guerrilla: Making Horizon online (not to be confused with the Horizon MMO they're outsourcing!). Release date likely 2027
Naughty Dog: Making TLOU online. Release date likely 2024 or 2025.
London Studio: Making new IP live service game. Likely to be cancelled four years from now.
Jade Raymond studio: Making new IP live service game. Likely to be cancelled four years from now.
Ex-CoD studio: Making new IP live service CoD knockoff. Release date likely 2026.
Sony Bend: Making an online multiplayer new IP version of Days Gone. Release date likely 2026 or 2027.

I feel like playstation has been a little underwhelming on the new announcements front these past two years
Now that God of War Ragnarok is out, I think we got through "phase 1" of PS5 which was mostly transitional so I imagine the rumored Showcase we get after this will give us an idea of what's next. Starting with Spider-man 2 of course.

We're probably due to see what studios like Bend, Sucker Punch, and Blue Point have been working on as well as Factions.

Everyone's (rightfully) knocked Xbox for their lackluster release schedule following their initial XSX showcase, but PlayStation has definitely been rather slow as well. Every major PlayStation Studios release for the PS5 was announced in the initial PS5 showcase except for God of War, which was announced just a few months later. The only big 1st party reveals in their 2021 showcase were Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and KotOR (which I think they're only publishing? Not sure about that one). We have yet to see footage from any of those games.

Their next showcase is gonna have incredibly high expectations, and rightfully so. They've been riding their great 2020 showcases for a long time now.

They have nothing to announce, they switched all of their teams other than Insomniac (announced their projects years ago) and SSM (just released Ragnarok) over to live service games and it's going to take several years for any of these games to come out.

Guerrilla: Making Horizon online (not to be confused with the Horizon MMO they're outsourcing!). Release date likely 2027
Naughty Dog: Making TLOU online. Release date likely 2024 or 2025.
London Studio: Making new IP live service game. Likely to be cancelled four years from now.
Jade Raymond studio: Making new IP live service game. Likely to be cancelled four years from now.
Ex-CoD studio: Making new IP live service CoD knockoff. Release date likely 2026.
Sony Bend: Making an online multiplayer new IP version of Days Gone. Release date likely 2026 or 2027.

Guerilla and Naughty Dog are multi-project teams. ND has already been linked to working on other projects like a new IP. I guarantee you that Guerilla has started work on Horizon 3. Neither studio is just making GAAS projects. Sucker Punch, Pixel Opus, Media Molecule, Bluepoint, Housemarque, Polyphony, Firesprite (Twisted Metal), and Team Asobi are all making games that are not live service games. Sony Bend's project has not been confirmed to be a multiplayer only game.

Sony has plenty in the works besides just live service games. Is 2023 a lighter year for PS Studios releases? Probably. But Sony will very likely be announcing new games this year.

Everyone's (rightfully) knocked Xbox for their lackluster release schedule following their initial XSX showcase, but PlayStation has definitely been rather slow as well. Every major PlayStation Studios release for the PS5 was announced in the initial PS5 showcase except for God of War, which was announced just a few months later. The only big 1st party reveals in their 2021 showcase were Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, and KotOR (which I think they're only publishing? Not sure about that one). We have yet to see footage from any of those games.

Their next showcase is gonna have incredibly high expectations, and rightfully so. They've been riding their great 2020 showcases for a long time now.

I for one am glad the PSVR2 is out tomorrow, because now maybe SIE will actually start talking about PS5 games again. All we really know about Sony first party in the near future is Spider-Man 2. Hoping there's a pleasant third party surprise or two in those other 10 titles of the State of Play. Something to the tune of Like a Dragon: Ishin from the September SoP level of scope would be nice.

It's interesting because as an outsider looking in I think Playstation 5's release schedule gets a lot of undeserved apathy perhaps. Sony has been doing a way, way better job at releasing games consistently, it's probably been the best early lineup of games for them since the PS2. I think maybe part of the problem is that a lot of these games are for gamers and enthusiasts, so the crossgen release schedule has really knocked the winds out of word of mouth's sails. But honestly if you look at the PS4 release schedule around this time, it was absolutely anemic, honestly some of the worst early years for any popular console ever. You basically had Infamous, Bloodborne, and the launch titles Knack and Killzone Shadowfall out and that was it. Oh, and DriveClub I guess. Really nothing there. Then you look at PS5 and you have Demon's Souls, Sackboy's Big Adventure, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Returnal, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon and Gran Turismo in the first 2 years. And the response is still generally people are unimpressed. It's genuinely kind of weird and I think if anything their release schedule might get less consistent as they start to focus on bigger games.

I can only guess why that is since I'm not into most of their franchises, but it certainly is interesting and I think a lot of it is just the crossgen release strategy. You are definitely right they haven't announced much new since 2020.

Is it me or do SOPs not get the same traction direct announcements get on Twitter? Nintendo announces a direct and that tweet hits 100k likes minimum.

I'm expecting to see more Marvel, more Final Fantasy, more tri-Ace, maybe another From Soft game.

It's hard for me to get excited about PS5 games though, since I still can't find one for a reasonable price anywhere.

“Hot Indie and 3rd Party Reveals” needs to do a lot of heavy lifting here (no shade to those interested in VR or Suicide Squad). Maybe we’ll get some cool Square games that are also on Switch.

It's interesting because as an outsider looking in I think Playstation 5's release schedule gets a lot of undeserved apathy perhaps. Sony has been doing a way, way better job at releasing games consistently, it's probably been the best early lineup of games for them since the PS2. I think maybe part of the problem is that a lot of these games are for gamers and enthusiasts, so the crossgen release schedule has really knocked the winds out of word of mouth's sails. But honestly if you look at the PS4 release schedule around this time, it was absolutely anemic, honestly some of the worst early years for any popular console ever. You basically had Infamous, Bloodborne, and the launch titles Knack and Killzone Shadowfall out and that was it. Oh, and DriveClub I guess. Really nothing there. Then you look at PS5 and you have Demon's Souls, Sackboy's Big Adventure, Spider-Man Miles Morales, Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Returnal, God of War Ragnarok, Horizon and Gran Turismo in the first 2 years. And the response is still generally people are unimpressed. It's genuinely kind of weird and I think if anything their release schedule might get less consistent as they start to focus on bigger games.

I can only guess why that is since I'm not into most of their franchises, but it certainly is interesting and I think a lot of it is just the crossgen release strategy. You are definitely right they haven't announced much new since 2020.
I think it's a combination of everything we've got so far being in the span of four months, a bunch of delays, and a lack of new ideas or IPs. Not to say that the games we got were bad, far from it, but Returnal and Sackboy were really the only two games to give us something that wasn't just an iteration on the PS4's lineup, and the latter just kinda came and went.

Unless Spider-Man or Death Stranding 2 really shake things up (and the latter is a ways off still), Wolverine is the only big Sony game on deck that will be something truly "new". Given how little news we've had since those initial pre-release showcases, I don't really blame anyone for the lackluster reaction to the PS5's lineup; in a lot of ways, it's just a retread of the PS4 lineup, except this time we don't have the excitement of everything being something new and exciting to back it up.

50/50 if I’ll be able to watch this live and also not terribly enthused walking in given the focus, but I hope we’ll get a cool announcement or two. Regardless how this show goes, I’m glad PS5 games are starting to come out. Like A Dragon Ishin is today (my copy isn’t arriving until tomorrow 🙃), we got Star Wars in April, and then the big month of June with Final Fantasy XVI and Street Fighter VI.

I think it's a combination of everything we've got so far being in the span of four months, a bunch of delays, and a lack of new ideas or IPs. Not to say that the games we got were bad, far from it, but Returnal and Sackboy were really the only two games to give us something that wasn't just an iteration on the PS4's lineup, and the latter just kinda came and went.

Unless Spider-Man or Death Stranding 2 really shake things up (and the latter is a ways off still), Wolverine is the only big Sony game on deck that will be something truly "new". Given how little news we've had since those initial pre-release showcases, I don't really blame anyone for the lackluster reaction to the PS5's lineup; in a lot of ways, it's just a retread of the PS4 lineup, except this time we don't have the excitement of everything being something new and exciting to back it up.
That’s kind of the problem I’m having. Definitely looking forward to FF16, Star Wars, and Wo Long but from Sony, uhhhh…

The PS5 launch with Demon’s Souls, Sackboy, and later Returnal was more the kind of stuff I was hoping to get. Granted we’re getting some great third party stuff but I’ve mostly written off Sony First Party at this point.

Okay wait actually do we think there might be something from Atlus in this, like one of the rumored ports/remasters or even something big? Because that would definitely make me interested

Okay wait actually do we think there might be something from Atlus in this, like one of the rumored ports/remasters or even something big? Because that would definitely make me interested
I personally don’t think so. Atlus knows people will tune in for their own announcements.

Back
Top Bottom