• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
We went straight from blurry photograph of a folder structure to "no Direct until June" within a couple days. Amazing :LOL:
If we get to Thursday next week and we haven’t heard a peep, that’s when I’d be concerned it’s possibly not in April, but even then I do think it’s soon. I feel like the most beneficial window for a Direct is before Endless Ocean releases to bring some buzz to both it and Paper Mario. I expect Luigi’s Mansion to do whatever it will do regardless of a Direct or not at this point.

Personally one reason I think an April Direct makes sense is because I'm guessing the May 7th briefing for the new fiscal year is going to confirm new hardware. Not in a big way, just a bland minimal info reveal along the lines of "we can confirm we will launch the successor to the Nintendo Switch this fiscal year. Please stay tuned for further details." If Nintendo have done a Direct before then covering launches up to the end of 2024, then that's the bulk of this fiscal year covered, and it'll demonstrate to the investors Nintendo have a plan to keep things ticking over before the new console launches. It might also be helpful to confirm their Switch line up before Switch 2 titles begin to get announced. As I've said before, April is a good window to announce first party stuff for July until December 2024.

That being said, there's all manner of reasons April might not be the month. Nintendo could wait until late May, I think, for a Direct that covers July onwards. If there's no July game, or if the July game is a 'casual' title that can be announced on its own, then there's even less need for a Direct before the usual June window.

I don't know why some of you are so desperate for the Switch 2 and at the same time so fed-up with the current Switch. Sure, you're eager for better hardware, I get it, but "not interested in more Switch 1 games"? What's so hard about keeping on enjoying the same console you've been enjoying for the past 7 years? A rumor about a rumor about another rumor about the next iteration should not matter.

I don't know why some of you are so desperate for the Switch 2 and at the same time so fed-up with the current Switch. Sure, you're eager for better hardware, I get it, but "not interested in more Switch 1 games"? What's so hard about keeping on enjoying the same console you've been enjoying for the past 7 years? A rumor about a rumor about another rumor about the next iteration should not matter.

Thing is, if it's a good game, or a big game, or even a good big game and it's being announced for Switch 1 at a point where, prior to February of this year, the successor should've been announced and be full-throttle in marketing, it would feel like "Ah man, this could be better if it was a Switch 2 game" for me.

Plus, at least personally, i don't have much time to play, so usually i'm not playing many of those smaller releases and "save" my time for other games, and knowing that such games won't be made for Switch 1 anymore (i assume), it does put a damper on this.

It's a very 1st world problem.

Eager for new games, whatever platforms they come out on. I'd be ok if Nintendo came out and said "Hey, Switch 2 isn't happening for a couple of years, so we're doing a few more big projects on Switch 1 for the time being".

righ now it's just: "Here some ports. Fuck off"

Looking at it logically if there's a "major" switch game in July then a Direct of some kind this month or the first week of May makes sense before the big investors meeting. But if there no July game or its "minor" then i see no reason for a April direct instead of the usual June direct

One thing is for sure is that I think this thread was made to early and should have waited until there was another reliable source backing up what Brazil's source had said (example someone like nate or Grubb)

I’m probably being super hopeful here, but the sudden pre-orders and re-releases of all these Zelda Amiibo has me hoping for a potential TP and/or TWW for this month’s rumored Nintendo Direct. Or even a Master Mode for Tears since we’re coming up on the one year anniversary of its release.

But again, that's a rumor. We don't know that for certain, right? Or do we.
We don't. Not really. Before we got news of the delay to March 2025, most signs pointed to a Q4 2024 launch. There was something that would have happened in March, but we have no idea what that would have been: be it the standard PR announcement ala past consoles or skipping to a full-on reveal trailer. I don't think marketing for the system would have gone full throttle until mid-summer in either case, though.

But again, that's a rumor. We don't know that for certain, right? Or do we.
What we know is that multiple people with solid track records were saying March was the reveal after that first show-off of the system (or a prototype or something of it) at GDC last year. So it's a "rumor," yeah, but for it to not be true that'd mean several people or all their sources across different countries were all telling the same lie. Which is possible! But seeing as how the media treated the delay into 2025 as a real and unexpected thing, I'd say it's pretty believable that the system really was slated for this year, which woulda made a March reveal pretty realistic.

Forgive me, I was working and actually had to do my job instead of browsing Fami 😋

But ooooooh where are you sitting, or are you the lucky son of a gun who got GA standing pit?
I'm sitting in Row D of the center section on the 2nd floor of a 3-floor stadium, so really great seats!! I have a clear view straight to Bruce since the elevation helps see over everyone beneath me haha

Last edited:
I'm setting in Row D of the center section on the 2nd floor of a 3-floor stadium, so really great seats!! I have a clear view straight to Bruce since the elevation helps see over everyone beneath me haha
Oh hell yes, that's fantastic! My Toronto show that got moved to November is gonna have me sitting in the lower bowl to the side of the stage, but it's as good as can be so I'm super content haha. It sounds like he's already mixing up the setlist from last year (and I already had two different sets from Buffalo and Newark), so hopefully you get some deep cuts that are exclusive to your show!

Also, my purchase of Endless Ocean is almost entirely dependent on being able to set up Fami dive nights with up to 30 of us, soooooo 👀
Well, I may potentially be sold on Endless Ocean if there's enough Fami interest for shared scuba diving 👀

While everyone’s going through the process™️ of pre-direct cycle grief, I just realised that we may have had a missed opportunity for a punny ST title considering this is ST8.

…ST8 of Play, right? 🍅🫣

(For the record, still reasonably hopeful for April, but wouldn’t be a huge loss if it’s later)

Gonna be honest. Don't know why people are not seeing a new Nintendo exclusive entry in a series with more Nintendo exclusives than multiplatform releases as unnotable for Switch. It's like if FF7 Rebirth wasn't mentioned when talking about PS5 games. Obviously Monkey Ball isn't as big as Final Fantasy, but I would say it's a notable new release, at least compared to a port of a 3DS game that will probably sell better.

Gonna be honest. Don't know why people are not seeing a new Nintendo exclusive entry in a series with more Nintendo exclusives than multiplatform releases as unnotable for Switch. It's like if FF7 Rebirth wasn't mentioned when talking about PS5 games. Obviously Monkey Ball isn't as big as Final Fantasy, but I would say it's a notable new release, at least compared to a port of a 3DS game that will probably sell better.
along similar lines, there's also Fantasy Life i in October

While everyone’s going through the process™️ of pre-direct cycle grief, I just realised that we may have had a missed opportunity for a punny ST title considering this is ST8.

…ST8 of Play, right? 🍅🫣

(For the record, still reasonably hopeful for April, but wouldn’t be a huge loss if it’s later)
Ah boo, we definitely failed ourselves on that one.

At least we still have 'Nintendo Direction Speculation Ess-Tee 9 | Nice. |'

…ST8 of Play, right? 🍅🫣

The ST8 of the STurious

So we know Xbox is having a showcase all the way on June 9th, but no one knows of a Nintendo direct date in April?

To be fair, Microsoft usually announces their summer showcase well in advance. Last year I think they announced it two months early and were doing constant countdowns and reminders. So it wouldn't surprised me if they are about to officially announce it and people in the game press are just getting ahead of the story.

…ST8 of Play, right? 🍅🫣

The absolute ST8 of this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom