• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic [Spoilers Allowed] Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST8| Press Your (Nintendo Direct) Luck! [Read Staff Post]

Which heavily rumored "it's absolutely gonna show up this time" game are we NOT going to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
People keep saying that, but I have yet to find where it actually comes from.
It isn't a definitive thing that was out-and-out stated. It simply comes from the fact that:
  1. Miyamoto is clearly enthusiastic about both series whenever they come up in conversation, often lamenting in official interviews and stuff like Ask the Developers about how the series should be more popular and that he doesn't fully understand why they aren't.
  2. His status at the studio as both a creative fellow and the man behind many of its most successful franchises gives him the power to help make such projects, even if not a main priority (as seen with Pikmin 4's development), something that is regularly being thought about or being prototyped in the background (e.g., an interview for Star Fox Zero revealed that, even though one wasn't released, they did spend a decent part of the Wii's lifespan playing around with Star Fox concepts for the console).

It isn't a definitive thing that was out-and-out stated. It simply comes from the fact that:
  1. Miyamoto is clearly enthusiastic about both series whenever they come up in conversation, often lamenting in official interviews and stuff like Ask the Developers about how the series should be more popular and that he doesn't fully understand why they aren't.
This...doesn't sound like actual proof of that.

I mean, I remember when Star Fox Zero was coming out, he was trying to get people to like and care about that game, but it all came off as rather desperate.
"Somebody please buy this game! Hell, I'll even throw in a free demo! Just please play it, anyone!"

And now it's really looking like Nintendo just doesn't know what to do with Star Fox.

His status at the studio as both a creative fellow and the man behind many of its most successful franchises gives him the power to help make such projects, even if not a main priority (as seen with Pikmin 4's development), something that is regularly being thought about or being prototyped in the background (e.g., an interview for Star Fox Zero revealed that, even though one wasn't released, they did spend a decent part of the Wii's lifespan playing around with Star Fox concepts for the console).
Again, still doesn't really qualify as actual proof that he's keeping them alive. He seems to be hardly AS involved with making games these days. Nothing on the Switch can be considered "his", not even Pikmin 4.

I even remember an interview on that game with its devs saying it's not done just to make him happy, which kinda disproved this altogether.

2. His status at the studio as both a creative fellow and the man behind many of its most successful franchises gives him the power to help make such projects, even if not a main priority (as seen with Pikmin 4's development), something that is regularly being thought about or being prototyped in the background (e.g., an interview for Star Fox Zero revealed that, even though one wasn't released, they did spend a decent part of the Wii's lifespan playing around with Star Fox concepts for the console).
I'd say Pikmin is at least at Metroid status at this point (might be higher honestly considering sales and extensive merchandising). Miyamoto definitely helps, but I don't think he's required for that series anymore.

If Star Fox is indeed happening, who would y’all like to see be the developer for it? I feel there could be lots of interesting ways for a new SF to be pitched.
I think if they want to make a throwback or experimental smaller-scale game, then imo Q-Games (Dylan Cuthbert's studio) makes some sense. Otherwise, I still think Banda-Namco should get another shot; either take the core ideas of Assault and make another one with a more modern understanding of how to do a third-person shooter, or just make "Ace Combat but with furries"

That said, my hunch is the next time we see Starfox it'll be an EPD-led game (my money would be on EPD 4 or 10) and, shot in the dark, I think it'll be them dipping their toes into roguelites

(there was a time when I would have said "give it to Bioware" but that was probably like 15 years ago by now)

Have you ever beaten Majora's Mask before?
Once. Been a long while. I had a falling out with the Zelda franchise a while back, but OoT reminded me why I loved it, if not for other things going on, would love to go back and replay/play some older ones again.

Lighting the Wind Waker HD signal. Used to consider that my overall favorite but I think it’s OoT.

Nintendo will announce the first ever full-length "FPCS" (First Person Coconut Shooter).

npptyqtynbpa1.png

ef3bf673b447d612b863fd7c23ca98c0.png
This is awesome lmao

This...doesn't sound like actual proof of that.
I was mostly just explaining why that sentiment exists. While I do believe his own personal excitement for these properties helps, there are definitely several people at the studio that care about these franchises outside of Miyamoto. I doubt it's ever been a case of "if Miyamoto wasn't there, no one at Nintendo would give a shit about these franchises." Yuji Kando didn't need Miyamoto holding a gun to his head in order to return for a fourth installment.

I was mostly just explaining why that sentiment exists. While I do believe his own personal excitement for these properties helps, there are definitely several people at the studio that care about these franchises outside of Miyamoto. I doubt it's ever been a case of "if Miyamoto wasn't there, no one at Nintendo would give a shit about these franchises." Yuji Kando didn't need Miyamoto holding a gun to his head in order to return for a fourth installment.
Ah, I see. Of course.

It's just that Star Fox has got nothing at all since Starlink, not even merch. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Fox is better remembered as a "Smash character" as it is.

I've been thinking about the Among Us possible date leak and I've actually kind of convinced myself that it is correct. My main reasoning honestly is that Innersloth does seem like the company that would joke about or point fun at having a slip up like this occur but they just didn't. Maybe I'm off-base with that but I feel like they would've at least acknowledged it, even without outright saying it, if there wasn't something holding them back from doing that. Even with the blog post, I feel like if it wasn't connected to something larger, they would've modified it to make it the announcement and say that it'll be releasing on June 18th, not really even needing to mention the trailer or even change anything about the trailer. Yes, it would make the surprise feel a little less special, but I feel like they would if they could, if that makes sense?

Maybe I'm pulling at straws a little but it is just kind of a weird situation that we just won't know about until the 18th haha :)

I'd say Pikmin is at least at Metroid status at this point (might be higher honestly considering sales and extensive merchandising). Miyamoto definitely helps, but I don't think he's required for that series anymore.
Indeed, especially Japan-side, where Pikmin has slowly been gaining momentum. I think that's probably enough for the series to finally be able to stand on its own two feet.

Bird szn approaching
It would be kind of crazy if Pyoro starts posting about the Direct tomorrow to go inline with what we've been discussing but then the Direct isn't until the 24th or something so we just have to sit with that information 😭

trying real hard not to read too much into that last sentence

This really makes me think the Direct is either next Tuesday (and he'll talk about the announcements that night during the podcast) or announced next Tuesday and that night's episode will be his predictions AHH

On one hand this is almost certainly just a general comment about there being a direct in June which we've known for months as opposed to an explicit leak....

BUT LETS GO DIRECT THIS WEEK LETS GET MP4, SILKSONG, FE4 REMAKE TP/WW, SWITCH 2, SWITCH 3 AND SWITCH 4!!!

likes just got hidden on X the Everything App. how will this affect the nintendo leaker scene?
That’s kind of a bummer. On one hand I always thought it was odd that tab was public and found it very annoying that liked tweets would then be inserted into others timelines unless they blocked that from happening which I imagine 99% of users were unaware was possible. For artists in particular though, it was always neat to see art they liked.

Nate Jeff and the rest totally coming to point and laugh at all of us when the Direct is announced tomorrow for Thursday, tooootally🥲
I really think its not because he havent heard from Pyoro, but you never know maybe he chose to keep quiet this time lol

But anyways, for next week he should start tweeting probably Friday

That’s kind of a bummer. On one hand I always thought it was odd that tab was public and found it very annoying that liked tweets would then be inserted into others timelines unless they blocked that from happening which I imagine 99% of users were unaware was possible. For artists in particular though, it was always neat to see art they liked.

it feels a bit weird to put in these terms but I was nodding along to this post and it made me realize that it's just one of those weird little things that makes the internet feel kinda quirky

there's not anywhere near as many of those left as there used to be which makes it feel all the more like a bummer when one gets sanded off

the original hyrule warriors atp feels so definitive and comprehensive im way fine with the rest of that subseries being focused on singular games, FE warriors on the other hand? the first one barely scratched the surface of the series, so a sequel being used to further expand 3H felt like a bit of a waste
I’m for this idea. One big series mashup for the fans and then follow it up with a “in between” story type game to propel it into the next. Mind you, these would have to essentially be money hat by Nintendo (which doesn’t seem to be a problem to them) but makes sense to keep mindshare. Plus they could just mandate more than just open field hack and slash like persona 5 Strikers did if they wanted.

Think Xenoblade Warriors for Switch 2, then Monolith new game, then a specific musou spin off for whatever that is. Just seems like a good formula.

Elon is doing whatever he can to destroy Twitter

So now the vibe is for the 18th? Huh, I guess that would be a pleasant surprise.

Still gonna keep my expectations in check for it to be the last week of the month, but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a couple tweets from everyone's favorite red bird tomorrow.

Is there a chance it’s announced tomorrow morning for Thursday?
Technically there’s a chance. There’s just very little pointing to this week. The remaining seven options are tomorrow (as a shadowdrop), Thursday, the 18th, 20th, 25th, 26th, and 27th. The 19th is completely out as it is a US holiday.

The 18th currently has the most going for it with leakers like Brazil saying it is in the back half of the month and it has the leaked Among Us trailer that could be attached to it.

Regarding the Among Us evidence, the screenshot I'm seeing has the trailer labeled as Summer Game Fest. That suggests to me that it's more likely the game was shown behind closed doors at SGF with an embargo of 6/18. I wouldn't expect any SGF labeling if it were a Nintendo Direct trailer.

Am I reading this wrong?

Regarding the Among Us evidence, the screenshot I'm seeing has the trailer labeled as Summer Game Fest. That suggests to me that it's more likely the game was shown behind closed doors at SGF with an embargo of 6/18. I wouldn't expect any SGF labeling if it were a Nintendo Direct trailer.

Am I reading this wrong?
See:
I've seen a few people say that the Among Us thing was leaked by GameSpot, but it wasn't. It was uploaded to the official Innersloth YouTube, and GameSpot's was a reupload which tacked "Summer Game Fest" onto the title for SEO, which is also confusing some people. The original video didn't mention SGF, and as has been noted, said the update was "out now" on June 18th, so obviously it wasn't for SGF.

image.png

It's too bad the blog post wasn't archived, although the previous blog post for a Direct announcement didn't mention the Direct, so this one probably wouldn't have either.

Ah, thank you! Interesting. I think it could still technically be an SGF embargo, but yes, this absolutely could be a Nintendo Direct thing, too. Like many, I've thought the week of the 18th is a strong possibility, so I'll add this to my list of reasons. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom