• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Finally getting around to commenting about the direct. Just a bizarre way to present the DLC. Inkopolis is just a cosmetic hub it seems? Makes it feel like you’re getting a whole lot of nothing. I would have led with the single player mode myself. Excited about more single player though.

The big question; will Callie and Marie wave to you like Shiver and Frye do if you stand outside their studio?

This might be the most fascinating photo to me:

u59v7uwnq1ha1.jpg

I've seen people saying this is a coral bleaching aesthetic and I can see it. Man Off the Hook always delivers on good DLC content.

It's cool that they realized Agent 8 is a perfect character design so they just used it again except in white

Finally getting around to commenting about the direct. Just a bizarre way to present the DLC. Inkopolis is just a cosmetic hub it seems? Makes it feel like you’re getting a whole lot of nothing. I would have led with the single player mode myself. Excited about more single player though.
yeah, exactly my thought. It's cool as a nostalgia and for people who played Splatoon 1 but apart from that?

Sucks, that single player part will probably not release this year, it's gonna be meaty.

I fully think this is just meant to be a one package type deal, and the Splatoon 1 hub is more of a glorified preorder bonus. I think they just named it Wave 1 and Wave 2 to match Splatoon 1 and Splatoon 2.

Idk why there's 4 colors but I think it's practically confirmed it's just these 2 waves from wording in informational and promotional material

EDIT: though it is possible there will be a second expansion pass. But it's quite clear the current pass includes these 2 waves and nothing else.

They probably included Inkopolis because it's the single lobby you can't visit on Switch and Splatoon 3 feels like more of a Splat 1 sequel than 2 did.

As for the actual DLC, it feels like a BOTW kind of deal where the first drop was less elaborate (trial of the sword) and the second one was the actual meat (Champion's Ballad).

As always, I'd wait until we have more info to see how much of a deal it is, and i don't think waiting to buy it until you can see how much value it is for you is a bad idea.

The expansion pass may have more waves in the future!

Screenshot_20230209_145357_Chrome.jpg
I assume that means it will get more but they just didn’t have anything ready to announce. Why out that wording in at all if you aren’t planning on more. At least they seem to be keeping the multiplayer the same for pass/non-pass owners, so probably don’t have to worry about paid map packs or anything like that.

so, do we think Inkopolis is Wave 3 or Wave 4?

unfortunately I think the latter, as March 1st is just too soon

If it was coming in the end of month update, I agree that they would have just said so. March 1st isn't spring anyway, which was how it was dated. (Spring begins March 20th)

I would also guess it's coming sooner than June though, maybe use it to pad the mid season update halfway through April.

Maybe they will stop Wii U online services as the Switch successor approaches and they decided to bring Splatoon 1's hub to Switch, so it isn't "lost."

it's 123K gold and a bunch of crappy tickets (no money up iirc)
That's really disappointing.

I was surprised the Splatoon 3 expansion pass wasn't include as an NSO perk. I've yet to beat the Splatoon 3 single player after ~200 hours of gameplay so I'll probably hold-off and hope it gets added to NSO eventually. Unless something else gets revealed that isn't single player or is cosmetic in nature...

I was surprised the Splatoon 3 expansion pass wasn't include as an NSO perk. I've yet to beat the Splatoon 3 single player after ~200 hours of gameplay so I'll probably hold-off and hope it gets added to NSO eventually. Unless something else gets revealed that isn't single player or is cosmetic in nature...

This is kinda where I am leaning atm unless I am blown away by something unrevealed. Unfortunately, I have to say something blasphemous...I hate Splatoon's single player modes and only suffered through Octo expansion for the Afro cosmetic.

Idk why there's 4 colors but I think it's practically confirmed it's just these 2 waves from wording in informational and promotional material

EDIT: though it is possible there will be a second expansion pass. But it's quite clear the current pass includes these 2 waves and nothing else.
This pass definitely only has the two waves, as Nintendo wouldn't open preorders without announcing how many waves there are. But I think a second pass with two more is pretty believable.

More screengrabs of the colors:

image.png

Obviously yellow and blue are the colors for this pass. Red is also part of the game's existing tri-color theme, but the cyan is new. If it was just the splats on the logo I'd say it could be for visual flair only, but the banners (left insert) being stacked with the two extra colors is pretty suggestive IMO.

The theme so far is that each wave number corresponds to a Splatoon game, where wave 1 is Inkopolis Plaza, and wave 2 is Inkopolis Square and Octo Expansion. So wave 3 would be something related to Splatoon 3. If it was another story DLC, something about the Salmonids and the origin of Little Buddy would be cool.

And then wave 4 would be about Splatoon 4 somehow. :p

The expansion pass may have more waves in the future!

Screenshot_20230209_145357_Chrome.jpg
From a quick Google, this is boilerplate language that has also appeared on at least XBC2 and XBC3 DLC. So I wouldn't read anything into it for Splatoon specifically.

Never played Octo Expansion on 2, so I’m looking forward to this

I will say tho, I hope Wave 1 has some more to it. It does say on the eshop “more details will be announced soon” for wave 1, but in my country (Australia), the DLC is $37.50, same price as the Pokemon SwSh DLC was - feels like a rip off if the first wave is just cosmetics

Been playing E litre 4k Scope lately and it's like a rollercoaster. One match I'll hit sick snipe after sick snipe, the next one I'm lucky to get even one snipe. Consistency is nowhere to be found, but it's still fun.

Also, I've played shamefully much but still haven't hit one of the rare banners or titles from the gacha machine, has anyone got one here?

Haven’t played much since the fall but I’m back in time for the Splatfest! Gonna get as many matches in as I can and then assess about the DLC pass.

I’d buy it — and play a lot more Splatoon 3 — in the blink of an eye if the connection quality was a bit better! How’s that been going lately? Same old?

I forget if i posted about this anywhere yet, these last 48 hours have been a blur lol

was anyone else surprised they're not including Splatoon 3 DLC into the NSO Expansion Pack? How do we think that'll work moving forward... no further passes provided and they were just there to get people to upgrade? Games added some amount of time after launch?

I thought the distinction would be single player vs multiplayer games but, clearly no dice.

Last edited:
I forget if i posted about this anywhere yet, these last 48 hours have been a blur lol

anyone else surprised they're not including Splatoon 3 DLC into the NSO Expansion Pack? How do we think that'll work moving forward... no further passes provided and they were just there to get people to upgrade? Games added some amount of time after launch?

I thought the distinction would be single player vs multiplayer games but, clearly no dice.
No, I'm not. Octo Expansion wasn't added to the Expansion Pass until years after it was released. Why would they derail their own monetary plans by putting out a better deal?

No, I'm not. Octo Expansion wasn't added to the Expansion Pass until years after it was released. Why would they derail their own monetary plans by putting out a better deal?
yeah it was definitely a silly assumption on my part lol

was anyone else surprised they're not including Splatoon 3 DLC into the NSO Expansion Pack? How do we think that'll work moving forward... no further passes provided and they were just there to get people to upgrade? Games added some amount of time after launch?

I think the distinction is "this game practically requires NSO to play, so many players likely already have the NSO Expansion, meaning Nintendo would be losing out"

Anyone think that with Inkopolis that’s coming in Wave 1 they might also include the single player campaign from Splatoon 1? Could be a neat little thing to surprise us with when it launches.

Speaking of, when does this launch? I bout a code from Shopto but I can’t redeem it yet

Anyone think that with Inkopolis that’s coming in Wave 1 they might also include the single player campaign from Splatoon 1? Could be a neat little thing to surprise us with when it launches.

Speaking of, when does this launch? I bout a code from Shopto but I can’t redeem it yet

The codes should be redeemable right now, since it's technically launched already, and purchasable in the eshop, (with the crappy little bonus they give you, that's my conspiracy theory is that it's intended to skirt any refund requirements since they immediately on purchase deliver you the first 'digital product', even if it's a nothing like Splatoon cash).

I think the distinction is "this game practically requires NSO to play, so many players likely already have the NSO Expansion, meaning Nintendo would be losing out"

Nah, it'll probably be there eventually, but only once sales have died down and the entire pass has been out for a significant time.

I'd say it's important to remember that it's never been intended as a vehicle for all Nintendo dlc day and date, and large chunks of it won't be there.

If anything, the games that have had it are probably the largest mutliplayer ones on the system (Splatoon 2, Animal crossing and Mario kart), while the big single player games haven't been on it (Xenoblade, Fire emblem, the various warriors games, BOTW, etc)

I think this would be a major selling point that they would absolutely mention during the direct and not keep a surprise.

So looking at the numbers, it seems that in terms of individual trailers, the #1 game watched was Tears of the Kingdom which isn't a shock. The #2 game with the most views however is the Expansion Pass for Splatoon thanks to Japan putting in 1M views for the Japanese trailer compared to the 331k from the American trailer. Just shows how popular the squid kids are in Japan. (That 331k number is impressive in America to be fair, being only 100k lower than Metroid Prime and Pikmin trailers and easily outpacing other non-Zelda trailers this direct).

BIG MAN SWEEP (other than popularity which milk chocolate will obviously win) INCOMING

12 matches in and I can confidently say that dark chocolate does not exist

Go white chocolate!
I can't believe we got the lead with conch shells. I did get around +45 this week, despite mostly playing Salmon Run. It seems the winner is determined by the average number of shells per player after all, cause milk chocolate should have won.

How many shells did you folks get?

BIG MAN SWEEP (other than popularity which milk chocolate will obviously win) INCOMING

12 matches in and I can confidently say that dark chocolate does not exist
Dark chocolate is the new Spicy then. They were basically absent for me during the previous Splatfest.

you all realize that the minority teams naturally hardly see each other, right? like, if it were, for example, 50% milk and 25% each dark and white the latter two take half of the former

Back
Top Bottom