• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BOOYAH BACK, YOU COWARD!

I always Booyah! at the start of a match, for me it means "Good luck! Let's do our best and have fun!" :p
I also always Booyah! when someone assists me on a splat or if teammate splats the player that just defeated me (still on camera). And after a wipeout too :D

LOL....nope. I know people are saying do your best and I appreciate it, but I ain't booyahing back, I believe what I believe. Maybe one day if I feel like taking some crazy risks, I will spend a whole day booyahing at the beginning of a match and see how it goes.

I actually almost never Booyah as I am superstious and always believed in earlyy Splatoon that Booyahing meant you were too cocky that you are going to win. Yeah it makes no sense but thats just my weird belief and will only Booyah if its a bomb or I strongly believe our win is secured.
I have enough confirmation bias from getting absolutely fucking destroyed in matches where I booyahed back at the beginning after we won the previous match to also believe this.

LOL....nope. I know people are saying do your best and I appreciate it, but I ain't booyahing back, I believe what I believe. Maybe one day if I feel like taking some crazy risks, I will spend a whole day booyahing at the beginning of a match and see how it goes.
At this stage I boyah in the following categories:

• The team accomplishes a wipeout after a very hard battle and we somehow end up with 2+ members still alive
  • We get 60+ clams in the basket at once
  • We are about to win and the enemy team cannot do anything to stop it
  • One guy manages to stay alive for the rest of the team to make a comback.
  • Squid Parties

I booyah when I go paint the walls at the start of Salmon Run and find they're already in the process of being painted.

Clearest, but not absolute, indicator for a successful shift.

Booyah to start a match.
Booyah when we wipe the other team.
Booyah when a bomb requires charging.
Booyah after a successful wave in Salmon Run.

I Booyah every time I'm trying to say This Way/Ouch (and vice versa) because I always forget which direction is mapped to which callout.

Splatoon devs casually inventing the most fun weapon they've ever made

Screenshot_20230125_104158_Nintendo_Switch_Online.jpg

Man it's fun when you realize you've accidentally decided to play at a time where apparently there's something big so every match you're on a team of randos vs LUtI teams who are proudly displaying their team name in front of their names. Man isn't it fun playing a game where you have no choice but to endure 5 minutes of utter humilation because well obviously LuTi members need practice! They need all the practice in the world! So it's totally fair that you have to play for the full five minutes as they will spawn camp you to keep their K/D ratios high, and squid bag party while killing you. It's fucking Clam Blitz. If you have 3 fucking giant balls and you're still spawn camping, you fucking suck and you shouldn't be playing LuTi matches.

And just...whoose team i? Because they did this repeatedly towards me. Just repeatedly spawn camping with 3 clam balls in our base, repeatedly sandbagging us then, once there was about 30 seconds left, THEN started scoring to make sure they got the knockout.

Splatoon devs casually inventing the most fun weapon they've ever made

Screenshot_20230125_104158_Nintendo_Switch_Online.jpg
Ok, am I going crazy or does the Stamper just...give you invincibility frames? Because I've clearly hit shots that should have insta killed and even make the sound of an insta-kill as a ranged blaster...only to see the stamper not only fine, but insta-kill me and stay on the map with not a single point of damage on them when I replay them on my end.

Ok, am I going crazy or does the Stamper just...give you invincibility frames? Because I've clearly hit shots that should have insta killed and even make the sound of an insta-kill as a ranged blaster...only to see the stamper not only fine, but insta-kill me and stay on the map with not a single point of damage on them when I replay them on my end.
I don't think that's supposed to happen, I've never heard of anything like that. The only reason I've ever seen that happen is because someone was dropping packets (unstable connection) so the shot(s) they hit don't actually get registered for the other players in the match.

Zipcaster gives some armor when zipping but it's not very reliable and shouldn't block direct hits most of the time

I don't think that's supposed to happen, I've never heard of anything like that. The only reason I've ever seen that happen is because someone was dropping packets (unstable connection) so the shot(s) they hit don't actually get registered for the other players in the match.

Zipcaster gives some armor when zipping but it's not very reliable and shouldn't block direct hits most of the time
They weren't Zipcasting. It might have been the connection. I think I've damaged the Switch from a car accident earlier this month so it might have affected that. Although I hope not. Don't really want to have to buy another $400 console right now.

Holy hell this sucks. I've been trying to get into a match for 15 minutes now! 3 times "Not enough players!" into a match where someone left before it even started and now another 3 "Not enough players!". Did the matchmaking shit itself or what

Holy hell this sucks. I've been trying to get into a match for 15 minutes now! 3 times "Not enough players!" into a match where someone left before it even started and now another 3 "Not enough players!". Did the matchmaking shit itself or what
Are you playing X Battle? I've heard it's near impossible to get a match there outside peak times.

Besides that, I've noticed matchmaking is very slow in other modes too, but I never get that many timeouts in a row.

And despite all that, the matchmaking isn't any more accurate than it used to be.

Are you playing X Battle? I've heard it's near impossible to get a match there outside peak times.

Besides that, I've noticed matchmaking is very slow in other modes too, but I never get that many timeouts in a row.

And despite all that, the matchmaking isn't any more accurate than it used to be.
X battle yeah. Luckily the old trick of complaining still works, as I got into a battle immediately after posting.

Are there really that few people in X ranking tho? Feels weird to me

tried in one match and lost, didn't try in the next and my teammates won

I truly have no bearing on anything that happens in this game
Something I've been doing lately is trying to gauge whether my team is in attack modus or defense modus and then play according to that myself. Often my frustrations come from wanting to push, but my team absolutely giving zero shits and just hanging back

X battle yeah. Luckily the old trick of complaining still works, as I got into a battle immediately after posting.

Are there really that few people in X ranking tho? Feels weird to me
There aren't that few players, but it STRICTLY adheres to the weapon category matching. If it can't find a category mirror-match it will not find you a match whatsoever.

Not gonna lie, I find getting into matches in Splatoon 3 far slower than the previous games. Even on Wii U it used to be usually far faster.

Now I usually go over 90 seconds waiting for a match to start. And to make matters worse, there are so many disconnections going on that I get thrown out of the queue because another player disconnected. I don't get why I have to be thrown out for that, just continue searching for a replacement player like other games do.

And if that goes through, it happens to me far too often that someone gets disconnected in the first few seconds of the game. If not, it happens sometimes during the game.

I had a ranked series where I had to play a few more matches because the losses don't count when someone got disconnected.

I'm on the verge of angry-calling Nintendo and demanding they give me money back, because they won't even let me play the fucking game any more. Literally all I want to do is play my daily SR, but I can't even do that because every other match is a connection error. I've literally dropped 2 ranks over the past week solely because of this connection bullshit.

I cannot comprehend how not only have they not fixed the connection error BS, they've somehow made it worse. What the fuck are the devs even doing? I mean they're not making Splatfests, they're not making content, they're not fixing the game. What a disgrace.

Also, Ultra Stamp still needs buffs if you ask me. Faster Movement, bigger hitbox on the initial loop, bigger hitbox while stamping, more damage while stamping and armor, especially from the front. ANY of these would be great

Also, Ultra Stamp still needs buffs if you ask me. Faster Movement, bigger hitbox on the initial loop, bigger hitbox while stamping, more damage while stamping and armor, especially from the front. ANY of these would be great
I just think it should fully protect from the front. It's such weird design to have it be vulnerable, but only to high firerate stuff that can spray n pray, while everything else is just screwed.

I just think it should fully protect from the front. It's such weird design to have it be vulnerable, but only to high firerate stuff that can spray n pray, while everything else is just screwed.
I can't prove it but I swear I've sniped it from the front at just the right moment

Huh...Well...I hate chocolate (and the cocoa bean) in general so...I have no idea which answer to choose.

White chocolate has the minimal legally required amount to be allowed to be called chocolate, normally. It's normally cocoa butter + sugar+ vanilla. #teambigman

I always thought that Undertow Spillway was my most disliked stage, but I actually hate Mincemeat Metalworks.

I almost made a post nominating Mincemeat Metalworks for Best Level in the Famiboards GOTY thread.

The draft consisted of me pointing out bits that are actually really well thought out (and hoping no one would ask about the other stuff).

it's so weird to me that they basically made the rank system optional in this game

surely I can't be the only person who saw I could play the modes without engaging with rank at all and just... didn't, right?

it's so weird to me that they basically made the rank system optional in this game

surely I can't be the only person who saw I could play the modes without engaging with rank at all and just... didn't, right?
I think it mostly serves as a skill check for X battle rather than functioning as an actual ranking system tbh

That's the way things should be, there's not much reason that players should be forced to seriously engage with a ranking system unless they choose to do so. If you want to put in the work you'll be rewarded and if you don't want to you won't be punished.

I think it mostly serves as a skill check for X battle rather than functioning as an actual ranking system tbh
I mean you'd think that but

IMG_0832.png

IMG_0831.png

The amount of times where I watched everyone just...not paint the floor and instead rush ahead on ever thinning lanes fired by a Ranged Blaster makes me second guess this idea.

Participating in the ranked system is mandatory if you want the most tolerable of all the matchmaking schemes in Splatoon 3 which is X-clusive.

I don't like chocolate, but I do enjoy "cocoa butter + sugar+ vanilla", so I'm choosing white/Big Man, which will probably be the least popular choice.

I almost made a post nominating Mincemeat Metalworks for Best Level in the Famiboards GOTY thread.

The draft consisted of me pointing out bits that are actually really well thought out (and hoping no one would ask about the other stuff).
I'd have loved to read that :p

Participating in the ranked system is mandatory if you want the most tolerable of all the matchmaking schemes in Splatoon 3 which is X-clusive.
this bit does bother me a little: how come the people who are good get to have the good matchmaking? I suck ass, why do I have to get curbstomped and rage more and more until my brain shuts off completely? how does anyone get better at this game?

this bit does bother me a little: how come the people who are good get to have the good matchmaking? I suck ass, why do I have to get curbstomped and rage more and more until my brain shuts off completely? how does anyone get better at this game?
To be fair, X-Rank is hell if you want to join with a non-popular weapon "class". I've seen people say they cannot play at certain hours because they're the only player of their type and X-Rank is extremely strict about it. Also I managed to get to S Rank the first time being carried hard by my team in series battles so the unfair matches can swing both ways.

I'd have loved to read that :p

TLDR:

There are two basic ways to gain an advantage over a same range opponent in a long distance. One is to have cover. The other is to have the high ground. Snipe on Mincemeat is clever in that it makes players choose one. A backliner stationed there can right-side peak OR they get elevation on the left. But they can't have both. Dumber maps combine right side peek and elevation in the same spot.

Mincemeat also makes the correct call to have the distance between the two sniping areas be larger than the distance covered by the longest range weapon in the game. So you don't get a situation where games are solely won by sniper duels. Snipers actually rely on their teammates to make plays.

Then there's how thin that stripe of area around snipe is. The best way to neutralize long range weapons dug in on high ground? Get underneath them with a blaster or slosher. All that range can't shot over walls. And a sniper on Mincemeat can't back up very far until their back is against the wall. Where the floor is uninkable, so no hiding and no regenerating health or ammo.

The latter, at the same time and elegantly so, works in favor of the sniper's team and against the blasting or sloshing aggressors should the sniper's team get wiped out. Those blasters and sloshers can press their advantage, but because the floor underneath where the respawning team comes in is not inkable, that hinders sharking and means enemies have to move around in the open to regain ink where they can be shot from above.

We'll not speak about why those smart design decisions are let down by other parts of the map.

In conclusion, the trucks are awesome!

Last edited:
Wonder if they'll introduce Tri-Color for Ranked modes, though I guess they'd have to first figure out how to implement a 3 v 3 v 3 format in the game. I could see Splat Zones and Rainmaker both fit for the Tri-Color mode honestly. Splat Zones expalins itself and for Rainmaker the goal would be to get the rainmaker on both enemy teams' marker.

That's the way things should be, there's not much reason that players should be forced to seriously engage with a ranking system unless they choose to do so. If you want to put in the work you'll be rewarded and if you don't want to you won't be punished.

Which is fine until you have to take in to account that's it's basically encouraged smurfing (i.e. if you want to you can stay at C rank even if you're a S+50 tier player.

Tbh the changes to the ranking system are among the biggest of fuckups they made going in to 3. X rank shouldn't be separate. It shouldn't be impossible to rank down except when seasons change. It shouldn't be possible to functionally choose to stay at a rank below your skill level.

It's hard to come up with a change they did that wasn't terrible. Being able to pick 2 different modes (3 if you're at X rank) is good, I guess, though like mentioned above, they're starting to get spread too thin now and matchmaking suffers for it, which is most notable in X rank outright not being able to find games at times.

TLDR:

There are two basic ways to gain an advantage over a same range opponent in a long distance. One is to have cover. The other is to have the high ground. Snipe on Mincemeat is clever in that it makes players choose one. A backliner stationed there can right-side peak OR they get elevation on the left. But they can't have both. Dumber maps combine right side peek and elevation in the same spot.

Mincemeat also makes the correct call to have the distance between the two sniping areas be larger than the distance covered by the longest range weapon in the game. So you don't get a situation where games are solely won by sniper duels. Snipers actually rely on their teammates to make plays.

Then there's how thin that stripe of area around snipe is. The best way to neutralize long range weapons dug in on high ground? Get underneath them with a blaster or slosher. All that range can't shot over walls. And a sniper on Mincemeat can't back up very far until their back is against the wall. Where the floor is uninkable, so no hiding and no regenerating health or ammo.

The latter, at the same time and elegantly so, works in favor of the sniper's team and against the blasting or sloshing aggressors should the sniper's team get wiped out. Those blasters and sloshers can press their advantage, but because the floor underneath where the respawning team comes in is not inkable, that hinders sharking and means enemies have to move around in the open to regain ink where they can be shot from above.

We'll not speak about why those smart design decisions are let down by other parts of the map.

In conclusion, the trucks are awesome!
What a great analysis. I wish I was as analytical as most of you are.

XcDgm6R.jpg

Still hate the map forever, tho :p

It's hard to come up with a change they did that wasn't terrible. Being able to pick 2 different modes (3 if you're at X rank) is good, I guess, though like mentioned above, they're starting to get spread too thin now and matchmaking suffers for it, which is most notable in X rank outright not being able to find games at times.
Eh, Rainmaker now having two checkpoints, a reduction of clams required to form the big one in Clam Blitz, Egg Throwing in Salmon Run, changing the primary ability of clothing, removing Ink Armor, there's actually quite a lot of changes to the game that I'd consider improvements over Splatoon 2. Currently the worst problem is the maps and hopefully they make some changes there. Like I'd still prefer the current special(crab) meta over the current Splatoon 2 meta.

Back
Top Bottom