• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (World's End Splatfest announced)

It feels like this is the worst period, for me, for Splatoon franchise ever. Specifically with the Turf War balancing.
It is just stupid, 90% of all weapons I see are Splattershot Pro or Gold Aerospray, and occational E-Liter.
it's just stupid, you basically cannot win against teams of Shooters unless your team is also just shooters. :/
I am more sick of the Booyah Bomb spam than Tentamissiles at this point.

Went on an emotional roller coaster of dropping two ranks yesterday and then all the way back to Eggsecutive VP thanks to a great group of randoms that stuck together, beat two Cohozuna with them as well!

Grizzco Blaster makes me unga bunga

I like Big Run, but I cannot stand the random weapon sets. Having a great game for two rounds, then the final round gives us all heavy, slow, cumbersome weapons in a confined arena.

I think you'd need a holistic analysis. Res/death is part of it, but sometimes that happens because you're the only one sticking your neck out to get eggs and no one backs you up. Look at

-Boss kills
-Lesser kills
-Res/death
-Average survival time
-Average time to res teammates
-Performance with 2 or more teammates down
-Shot accuracy
-Egg delivery count
-Egg throw count (throwing far away eggs towards but not into the basket)
-Separate checks on all of these in special rounds

This could be combined into a "VP" score for a better idea of how good a player actually is.

This is all fine and dandy, but Splatoon 3 already ignores the metrics it does have to track success. Whether in Turf War, Anarchy or in Salmon Run, the game is systematically incapable of the simple psychological courtesy of throwing players a bone. Hazard Level 186% proved too much to handle? Here, try your luck at 192% next! Failed half a dozen runs in the 170% range in a row? How about dropping down 20% and slowly working back up until we find the level that is right for you? No, instead have another attempt at the difficulty you've flunked over and over again.

This is the only multiplayer title I know which doesn't strive to get people to a 50% win rate. It's feast or famine all the way up and all the way down.

Thematically if the city under attack doen't close off acces to other modes there's little reason to not be the same for splatfest.
Eh, the part of the city that actually is under attack did get closed off for the other modes, Wahoo World wasn't in rotations for non-Big run modes at all this weekend.

I hope that future Big Runs include all the previous maps, perhaps in the second day only? It'd really make the invasion theme feel stronger

Made it to 135 which will probably be my high score

In the future I'd like to see them do a "Special Shortage" event where all the normal salmon run specials are replaced with splashdown, inkzooka, ultra stamp, ink storm, and tacticooler. It would be neat to have a weekend where you had to deal with using weaker specials to defeat salmonids.

I am about to fucking lose it with my Salmon Run teammates. I cannot comprehend how these absolute, irredeemable morons make it to VP. Just zero brain cells, zero contribution, zero wins. I've gone from 420 to 390 because my teammates have a combined brain cell count of 1 at most.
I felt this last night for sure. Went 0-5 with a rando group in Go-Getter rank and we couldn't get our shit together at all (base kept getting swarmed by multiple Steelheads, Flyfish, and Steel Eels) and I dropped back to Part-Timer status due to it. Dropped out of the group and while I only had time for one more round that crew gelled much better.

I honestly think the best course of action when playing with randoms is to set a limit on the number of fails you're willing to tolerate and then drop from the group once you hit that limit.

Grizzco Blaster makes me unga bunga
I rolled that so many times last night and it was hella fun just charging into the front line and decimating everything that came out of the sewers. Especially when Glowflies triggered.

EDIT: Just played for another hour last night. I honestly wish I knew if i was contributing properly to the team or being carried. I genuinely understand how to take down the bosses, but I have a hard time staying with the group or not sticking my neck out too far. So I get killed more often than I probably should. I'm at least getting better about remembering I have specials although I don't have a lot of experience with some of them so that works against me.

It's one of those things where the lack of in-game voice chat is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, you don't get verbally abused. On the other hand, there's no immediate feedback when you do something wrong.

Last edited:
I like Big Run, but I cannot stand the random weapon sets. Having a great game for two rounds, then the final round gives us all heavy, slow, cumbersome weapons in a confined arena.

fr, i just had two GREAT rounds then the final wave was high tide with a 2 chargers, a reeflux and a splatling like what the fuck game jesus christ

edit: and right after typing that i get a fucking cohozuna mid stage high tide with a bamboozler, a squiffer and TWO DYNAMO ROLLERS like jesus christ that kind of comp shouldnt even be in the cards lmao

Last edited:
fr, i just had two GREAT rounds then the final wave was high tide with a 2 chargers, a reeflux and a splatling like what the fuck game jesus christ

edit: and right after typing that i get a fucking cohozuna mid stage high tide with a bamboozler, a squiffer and TWO DYNAMO ROLLERS like jesus christ that kind of comp shouldnt even be in the cards lmao
Uh...two Dynamo rollers should absolutely shred Cohozuna. If you can force him to attack you while backed against the wall rollers just eat at his health.

Uh...two Dynamo rollers should absolutely shred Cohozuna. If you can force him to attack you while backed against the wall rollers just eat at his health.

it felt like a handicap in center with high tide. the rest of the boss salmonids just kinda overran it

Got to play on Brinewater Springs for the first time. Jesus, that Splat Zone is tiny. I thought the map itself got all the criticism, but a zone that flips as soon as a team sneezes on it is actually worse. Unplayable unfun garbage trashfire mode (is my initital impression).

EVPs when they see a half-dead Flyfish at the other side of the map: I'm gonna go out there and make a new full Flyfish spawn while my teammates are left in a 3v10000, it'll be worth it since I can possibly bring back 1 egg!

They definitely need to up the rewards you can be given significantly if they're going to stick with asking you to do big run dozens of times. Eventually you're just getting small numbers of chunks basically, which is pretty mediocre, while you're just fishing for a round that randomly gives.you a good salmonid and weapon set.

EVPs when they see a half-dead Flyfish at the other side of the map: I'm gonna go out there and make a new full Flyfish spawn while my teammates are left in a 3v10000, it'll be worth it since I can possibly bring back 1 egg!
I'm guilty of this and I'm not EVP rank. I'm a simple squid: I see a boss salmonid, I charge it.

(This may be half my problem with SR in that I haven't fully internalized it's probably better to stay closer to the basket and let things come to the team)

As underwhelming as Big Run is, this is THE most fun I've had with Salmon Run since Splatoon 3 launched.
Wahoo World is a good SR stage and I really enjoy random weapons shifts, especially if the Grizzco weapon is fun.

Defeated lots of Cohozunas yesterday, but my highest score was only 125 @ 240 VP. I don't have much time to play today so I think that will be my final score.

Excellent music and the plaza looks and sounds are very eerie and unnerving, but still doesn't feel like we are in imminent danger.

One last thing: I LOVED the Big Run lighting. Screw night matches, give me this warm and amazing twilight lighting during Splatfests. The trails left after swimming are so visible (no matter the ink color), and even during night Big Run shifts they were so distinguishable. Seriously, this would solve my biggest issue with Splatfests.

Last edited:
One last thing: I LOVED the Big Run lighting. Screw night matches, give me this warm and amazing twilight lighting during Splatfests. The trails left after swimming are so visible (no matter the ink color), and even during night Big Run shifts they were so distinguishable. Seriously, this would solve my biggest issue with Splatfests.
another (really time intensive I recognize) way to really amp up the theming would be to make the battle modes all have the lighting for the full two days

it'd make it feel like "the game must go on" instead of "actually everything's fine"

I'm guilty of this and I'm not EVP rank. I'm a simple squid: I see a boss salmonid, I charge it.

(This may be half my problem with SR in that I haven't fully internalized it's probably better to stay closer to the basket and let things come to the team)
For Flyfish it's not as much of an issue below Hazard Level 200% as long as you make sure not to get surrounded, lower ranks don't get nearly as much action, have a lot more time to safely get eggs in the basket and bosses don't almost instantly replace one another. Still worth keeping in mind that until the timer goes to 24s splatting a Flyfish can make a new one spawn, so it's often a good idea to just destroy just one of their launchers to avoid spawning 2 new launchers. Bosses are capped at 3 of the same type on the stage, so it could be the difference between 3 missile launchers (you destroyed one of each) or 6 missile launchers (you splatted every Flyfish for nothing, instead of allowing easier bosses to spawn). Though if you have Explosher and they're easily accessible go ahead

And yes for bosses that track players use patience, lure them to the basket while painting your base, getting eggs in and splatting lessers. Sometimes one player could leave the basket to lure enemies away in the last ~10 seconds if it looks like it'll get overcrowded though!

Last edited:
another (really time intensive I recognize) way to really amp up the theming would be to make the battle modes all have the lighting for the full two days

it'd make it feel like "the game must go on" instead of "actually everything's fine"
That's a great idea. I'd have loved that!

It's really nice of Nintendo to make Underground a harder version of Salmon Run NW for the 7 people in the universe who somehow get this kind of egg count

What the, and I cannot stress this enough, fuck?

That's an egg on average about every 1.2 seconds. Less because obviously things takes time to spawn initially.

finally hit the rank up threshold in open and it's telling me to play a rank up battle in series

you're telling me that I have the privilege of playing the most tense splatoon game of my life for the reward of being put against even better players when most of the people I face already are way better than me?

yeah, that's not happening. I'll stay in the trash where I belong lol

finally hit the rank up threshold in open and it's telling me to play a rank up battle in series

you're telling me that I have the privilege of playing the most tense splatoon game of my life for the reward of being put against even better players when most of the people I face already are way better than me?

There's little semblance of balance in open, you'll have an easier time in serie.

Like my last game was highway robbery, my team was getting shredded but somewhat we made an opening in the last seconds and someone just took the lead in rainmaker. It was so improbable.

Yeah, don't bother. Just crashed out yet another of my own Rank Up battles because the game twice deemed to put me in a team of Hydra Splatling, Explosher & Tri-Stringer against a balanced comp of frontline, midrange and Charger who can shut all of us three other backliners down when the sharks and skirmishers aren't pushing our face in. Again. Because to earn access to better matchmaking I must prove I can win without it. And trying to play Hydra as a slayer is exactly what I signed up for when I picked the weapon.

To reiterate:

Locking the better matchmaking behind X-rank suuuuucks

Big Run lured me back in, but after a weekend of Anarchy, I',m already as good as out again.

yep, I'm gonna stay in the casual mode forever I think

no interest in trying to get good

I was happier in Open, too. Actually had a higher average of balanced match-ups there. But the weapon-based matchmaking of X-rank put the carrot in front of my nose again and now I'm suffering.

i'll second what daase ko said—Open is occasionally fair but a good chunk of the time you'll be put against a team of players who are actually coordinating outside of the game, where in Series its all randoms and while it can still be feast-or-famine, its much friendlier to solo players. you should give it a shot!! the rank-up series are always tricky but you can definitely do it

Last edited:
i'll second what daase ko said—Open is occasionally fair but a good chunk of the time you'll be put against a team of players who are actually coordinating outside of the game, where in Series its all randoms and while it can still be feast-or-famine, its much friendlier to solo players. you should give it a shot!! the rank-up series are always tricky buy you can definitely do it
I can't take that kind of pressure and even worse my internet sometimes goes out completely. high stakes splatoon sounds abysmal to me

I can't take that kind of pressure and even worse my internet sometimes goes out completely. high stakes splatoon sounds abysmal to me
From what I understand you barely played in series, which would mean you fought way harder players in open than what you'll face getting in.
You can't even derank in this game apart from choosing it, so you're making it way more intimidating than it is.
I play in open when I'm with friends but I wouldn't want to spend much more than that on it, it's wild west.

Man glowfies annoys me so much, people just going as far away as they can from the basket then we lose because we don’t have enough eggs

From what I understand you barely played in series, which would mean you fought way harder players in open than what you'll face getting in.
You can't even derank in this game apart from choosing it, so you're making it way more intimidating than it is.
I play in open when I'm with friends but I wouldn't want to spend much more than that on it, it's wild west.
I can definitely see that, but the "spend a fuckload of points and try to earn them back" sounds miserable and exhausting to me

I'm fine with being a C+ chud forever (until I go down further next season), I just wasn't expecting it and thought it was funny

I can definitely see that, but the "spend a fuckload of points and try to earn them back" sounds miserable and exhausting to me

I'm fine with being a C+ chud forever (until I go down further next season), I just wasn't expecting it and thought it was funny
You straight up do not need to win a single game to go even in C+

"Requirements to break even"
"C+: 2 wins, or 1 win and 4 gold medals, or 0 wins and 8 gold medals"

Game...again. I'm A+ rank. I'm not a god at this game. I'm not an expert at this game who can carry the entire team. I have a 5-45 win/loss ratio in this game right now. Why the everlasting fuck did I get just matched against fucking ProChara!?!

Wasn't there some aspect to Big Run where everyone would benefit from whatever the top performers would be pushing the egg record to? This is the opposite, the overfishing fanatics raising the cut-off for everyone else.

Overall, Big Run was disappointing as an event. But enjoyable as a Salmon Run shift.

Wow, 137 for top 5% is way higher than I think anyone expected.

Yeah, kinda makes it seem like casual participation in Salmon Run is lower than low tide.

Only thing to be aware of is I think you get higher rewards from being a higher rank, even in open, just so you're aware.

Assuming I didn't write my numbers down incorrectly, going from S to S+0 raised the amount of money for a knockout from 3500 to 3900 prior to food multiplier for instance, and I presume that also happened going up at lower ranks but I have no way to check lower rank scores now.

Hot Take: while the ability to skip the announcements is definitely appreciated, the loss of specific dialogue for stages definitely hurts Deep Cut's character. Having Big Run's Wahoo World Dialogue definitely gives us a better idea of who they are. They should have allowed the skip but kept the longer format. Not like it would have mattered since the skip allows people who don't care to ignore it and allows people who do want interactions more dialogue.

Hot Take: while the ability to skip the announcements is definitely appreciated, the loss of specific dialogue for stages definitely hurts Deep Cut's character. Having Big Run's Wahoo World Dialogue definitely gives us a better idea of who they are. They should have allowed the skip but kept the longer format. Not like it would have mattered since the skip allows people who don't care to ignore it and allows people who do want interactions more dialogue.
a lot of the flavor writing in the treehouse localization is a noticeable step down from 2

deep cut sucks and mr grizz is really weak

What were the percentiles?
FjvhxKWXEAAqlom

Back
Top Bottom