• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony State of Play announced for Jan 31st. 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT for 40 minutes covering 15+ games

Oh it's over? That was kind of mid. Definitely the best State of Play but that's not a high bar to reach lol.

In for Death Stranding 2 and Dragon's Dogma 2. However, really disappointed with Rise of Ronin and especially Silent Hill 2. Thought both looked really rough

Overall, was not blown away by this as I'd hoped

That shitty Silent Hill Trailer and "the Kojima can do whatever crazy shit he wants show" certainly was quite something to have in the same presentation.

Quick thoughts

Hell Divers 2- Cool trailer. Hope it is a hit next week.
Stellar Blade- This feels like a mix of Bayonetta and Neir Automata. This might be a sleeper hit.
Sonic Generations- Already leaked, but it is cool to see none the less.
Fairy- No idea what to expect from this game lol.
Foamstars- I'm skipping, but it does look like a lot of fun.
Dave The Diver- Nice to see a PS5 port is coming. Godzilla???
V Rising- Probably not up my alley, but it looks cool.
Silent Hill The Short Message- Probably way too much for me, but I'll download it for giggles.
Silent Hill 2- See above lol. I really hope that SH fans love it though. They've been waiting for a long time. Also, I'm starting to think 2024 isn't happening for that game.
Judas- Yup, that looks like BioShock 4.
Metro Awakening- Not a VR guy, but it looks good.
Legendary Tales- Looks alright. Again, I don't have VR.
Dragon's Dogma 2- Not my type of game, but it looks good.
Rise of Ronin- That game looks better with every showing. I'll pick it up at some point.
Until Dawn Remaster- Definitely not up my alley lol. Still cool to see.
Death Stranding 2- 2025 it is!
Kojima New IP (Physint?)- See you in 2030 on the PS6 lol

Also, I am skipping that Rebirth SoP. I refused to get spoiled.

Still nothing, or not enough, selling me on a PS5 as yet.

I’ll probably bite at RE9 and maybe Snake Eater depending on how that turns out.

What I don’t get about Silent Hill 2 isn’t necessarily how it looked but the tone of the trailer and how they chose to portray it as an RE4 like third person action game. Surely the best sell was to focus on the creepy moments and atmosphere?

State of Play was meh. Dragon's Dogma 2 and Death Stranding 2 saved it for me. Other than that it was just another poor Sony showing tbh.
Haven't been able to watch this yet - how did it compare to what we could collectively consider a mid-tier Direct?
It was better than the last direct lmfao. By how much....idk.

That show tells me that Sony has a bunch of stuff in the first half of this year, but the second half looks baron outside of Until Dawn Remaster and maybe Concord.

Announced for 2024:
The Last of Us Part 2: Remastered (Jan 19th)
Helldivers 2 (Feb 9th)
MLB The Show 24 (Mar 15th)
Rise of Ronin (Mar 22nd)
Stellar Blade (Apr 26)
Destiny 2: The Final Shape (June 4th)
Concord
Until Dawn Remaster
Lost Soul Aside

Announced for 2025:
Death Stranding 2

Announced with no window:
FairGame$
Marathon
Wolverine Insomniac data breach has this game listed internally as a 2025-6 game
Kojima New IP

Last edited:
Haven't been able to watch this yet - how did it compare to what we could collectively consider a mid-tier Direct?
I dunno if Nintendo could get away with a direct with nothing really new announced (Yes TTYD remake was new)

Last edited:
pretty great presentation outside of the we have nier automata at home, and silent hill 2 remake

death stranding 2 looks wild, god bless kojima

Game-wise, it was very YMMV.

But presentation-wise, it had solid pacing and nothing dragged except for perhaps the Death Stranding 2 trailer.

Yup, pretty mid State of Play.

• Silent Hill The Short Message
  • Dragon’s Dogma 2
  • Death Stranding 2

Are the high points.

• Everything else… seems pretty eh I guess.
  • Silent Hill 2 looks extremely disappointing. Not really in spirit with the original. Looks clunky.
  • Sony: “Oh hey Kojima-san we are going to bankroll your not-Metal Gear Solid game and it won’t go in production until Death Stranding 2”

Can’t wait to play Iron Armor Solidified with Fully Clothed Lizard

That was fucking terrible, the Death Stranding 2 trailer was so obnoxious and the Stellar Blade game just looked like a late-era Platinum rip off (which already isn't the best era to take from)

Please refrain from NSFW terminology - Barely Able, xghost777, meatbag, Party Sklar
So this was a State of Play produced mostly just to masturbate Kojima and a handful of other quick trailers to pad out the running time. Good heavens, even for the average SoP this was a terrible showcase.

Honestly it's kind of crazy to see a trailer so bad from the person who put out the MGSV Red Band Trailer.

It's like a microcosm of how I felt about the first game: Some amazing concepts, imagery and atmosphere just mired in some of the most dull, lifeless technobabble dialogue that practically never ends. Kojima being let go from Konami is one of the best and worst things that's happened to his creative output, I feel.

seems Kojima is as divisive as ever huh? Either you are into him or you aren't

Your reception to this SOP depends on that lol

This really was the "at home" SoP
Titanfall at home
Nier Automata at home
Sonic Adventure 2 at home
Resident Evil 2 at home
Bioshock at home
Sekiro at home
Kojima breaks into your home and forces you to revere him

/s

Stellar Blade looks cool and it is soon so I’m glad I got one thing I’m definitely excited about. Interested in Death Stranding 2, the guitar sword was cool, but I haven’t played the first one yet. A handful of maybes elsewhere, so solid show.

Kojima really living his dream now that he's his own boss.

Making Death Stranding 2, Not-Silent Hills and already pre-producing Not-MGS. Awesome, I can't wait.

MGS V still to this day is, along BOTW/TOTK, the most interactive open world ever made and it's close to 10 years old now. The idea of him making another one in a few years really really excite me.

Stellar Blade looks like it could be good but has a lot of iffyness to it and I'd want to see some hands-on impressions first. Same thing goes for Rise of the Ronin.

A lot of the rest of that was either not my thing or WAY too long. Good lord that Death Stranding 2 trailer was absurd and over-the-top and not in a good way.

Overall, it had a lot of big games in it but it didn't do much for me - I'd say it's a pretty medium show and it does have some things I'm interested in all the same. It was really missing something a bit more surprising and fun. And that DS2 trailer completely killed the pacing that had been decent beforehand.

DS2 looks like the pretentious snooze the first one was. Graphically it’s stunning though. Guitar guy was cool. But I cannot stop my eyes physically rolling to the back of my head when I hear the dialogue.
At least they're spicing things up this time. The first one didn't see Norman Reedus carrying around a little Tommy Wiseau, did it?

At least they're spicing things up this time. The first one didn't see Norman Reedus carrying around a little Tommy Wiseau, did it?
Who do you think that was on his tummy? 😏

It wasn't him

Overall this had better pacing other than DS2, but... c'mon. You don't say 'we have one more thing to announce' and then have it be an FF7Rebirth show next week, especially since that game's out in a month. Good way to get everyone super hyped and then instantly deflated in the span of three seconds.

Last edited:
State of Plays are just Partner Showcases that maybe sometimes have first party games as a treat, and that was a really weak one

this is gonna be so much better than the Direct
the-batman-what-have-you-done.gif

I mean... yeah that State of Play was mid IMO.
Honestly, yeah, this joint was pretty mid imo. I'm not sure I like the way Silent Hill 2 is looking, there appeared to be some stiffness and jank to the combat (and that's most of what was shown). Rise of the Rōnin just looks generic. Judas may be good, or it may not. I do like how it looks more similar to BioShock 1 than Infinite, but Ken Levine is a bit of a bellend.

That show tells me that Sony has a bunch of stuff in the first half of this year, but the second half looks baron outside of Until Dawn Remaster and maybe Concord.

Announced for 2024:
The Last of Us Part 2: Remastered (Jan 19th)
Helldivers 2 (Feb 9th)
MLB The Show 24 (Mar 15th)
Rise of Ronin (Mar 22nd)
Stellar Blade (Apr 26)
Destiny 2: The Final Shape (June 4th)
Concord
Until Dawn Remaster
Lost Soul Aside

Announced for 2025:
Death Stranding 2

Announced with no window:
FairGame$
Marathon
Wolverine Insomniac data breach has this game listed internally as a 2025-6 game
Kojima New IP
This is definitely interesting to me. I didn't expect Stellar Blade to be so early, and with DS2 coming out in 2025 what are they filling the second half of the year with?

Sony keeps showing me why I only buy their console for Square Enix games, and the rest is just nice to have.

Nothing for me but it’s fine because I have hope to catch-up on the games that do!

Back
Top Bottom