• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony State of Play announced for Jan 31st. 2pm PT / 5pm ET / 10pm GMT for 40 minutes covering 15+ games

What I don’t get about Silent Hill 2 isn’t necessarily how it looked but the tone of the trailer and how they chose to portray it as an RE4 like third person action game. Surely the best sell was to focus on the creepy moments and atmosphere?
Yeah, a combat-focused showing strikes me as a weird choice. I'm hoping the game ultimately turns out fine, but I'm still not particularly confident in Bloober... lol
This really was the "at home" SoP
Titanfall at home
Nier Automata at home
Sonic Adventure 2 at home
Resident Evil 2 at home
Bioshock at home
Sekiro at home
Kojima breaks into your home and forces you to revere him

/s
Mid overload 😂 😂

Nah, but it was alright. More or less your typical State of Play.
That wasn't Alan Wake?
It was clearly a dubious little creature getting up to mischief!
god I'm so fucking cooked. Nintendo please save me
Sorry man 🥲

Sorry man 🥲

I know it was Blooper team and all, but I'm really disappointed by how Silent Hill 2 turned out. Don't want to make any conclusions yet since the game isn't out, but it sure didn't look good here.

Oh well, at least DD2 and DS2 continue to look sick, and Rebirth is a guaranteed banger

Sekiro at home
I mean, to be real Sekiro was kind of « Team Ninja at home » in the first place, especially « Ninja Gaiden at home » (and that’s why it’s the best combat system FromSo ever made)

But honestly the State of Play was alright. Rise of the Ronin and Dragon’s Dogma 2 will probably be great, Stellar Blade is intriguing (even though the trailer should’ve focused more on the gameplay), we got a shadowdrop of a Silent Hill experience… it was a bit long but the content was pretty fine

I know it was Blooper team and all, but I'm really disappointed by how Silent Hill 2 turned out. Don't want to make any conclusions yet since the game isn't out, but it sure didn't look good here.

Oh well, at least DD2 and DS2 continue to look sick, and Rebirth is a guaranteed banger
I love SH2, and I wanted it to get the treatment it deserved, so I know how you feel. At this point, I'm just hoping it's at least a decent game, as opposed to a total disaster. The bar is set so high for a SH2 remake though, so it's a shame we'll likely have to end up settling for mid (or worse). Konami going with Bloober is still a total bummer.

Fami, we could be seeing Metroid Prime 4 less than 10 minutes from now. #TTP
tenor.gif

I've grown to appreciate these "auteur" game directors that get more and more unhinged the older they get and this Death Stranding trailer actually has me unexpectedly excited lol

But I do hope that Physint is a little more "grounded" and tonally different from it

Skipped out on the Kojima stuff since I hadn’t played DS1 yet. This new game sounds like the end of Kojima’s career in terms of what he can do with video games. None of it sounds good to me but we will see when an actual product is shown. Just go into movies already.

Skipped out on the Kojima stuff since I hadn’t played DS1 yet. This new game sounds like the end of Kojima’s career in terms of what he can do with video games. None of it sounds good to me but we will see when an actual product is shown. Just go into movies already.
i think to be clear he's not suggesting this is like OD where its half movie/half game or even that there is a movie necessarily coming, but that the game is being made with the full force of Sony Pictures/Music/PS behind it. I think he's suggesting Avatar production values and tech rather than "weird narrative film meets game" type thing or "it's a film and a game" - perhaps suggesting he believes the game will be indistinguishable from live action.

That was fucking terrible, the Death Stranding 2 trailer was so obnoxious and the Stellar Blade game just looked like a late-era Platinum rip off (which already isn't the best era to take from)
Alright, look, now that I've taken a step back and thought about things more ...

The thing is that a lot of these games have terrible trailers but I still wouldn't mind trying them.

Stellar Blade looks like it could be good, it has a lot of potential, but it's just a bit worrying that it looks more like late-era Platinum when stuff like Automata needed that auteur vision to tie it all together, every smaller part of that game (the character action, the shmup, the open world) was just good but putting it all together under a unified vision is where the magic happens. It's a tall order to mix RPGs and character action games together and frankly I think very few people do it so we'll just have to see.

At least it's cool to see a console Korean production knowing some game history.

Death Stranding was a game that had a super annoying marketing campaign that completely made me disinterested in the game but I played the first 20 or so hours a few weeks ago and was having a pretty good time, so Death Stranding 2 will probably be exactly the same. It's just annoying because as a fan of weird, experimental, pretentious shit these trailers are still super boring and usually don't even feel clever. I think after the terrible pacing of the rest of the State of Play it made me hate it even if it probably wasn't that bad, the guitar part should have been cool but I was just so done at that point lol. Again, probably more of a me thing.

Ken Levine might be pretentious and Infinite sucksbut he probably isn't a bad dude and as much as I'm meh on 1 it had some neat ideas. I was kind of interested to see what he's cooking up and it ... looks way worse than Bioshock? I couldn't stop thinking about how inconsistent and weird the art style was - it's like someone took We Happy Few and mixed it with Deathloop. Just made me think it looked like crap though it might be good.

I was really interested in Helldivers 2 a while ago but after the last trailer was so bad I don't know if I'll be able to convince the friend I was going to play it with to pick it up, these last two trailers just made me completely disinterested :(

Rise of the Ronin might be good, Team Ninja is one of the only devs I'm willing to try their souls-likes, but they make so many of them that I just don't buy them. To be fair it's been a while since I've tried Nioh so maybe it's time to try another one of their souls-likes with Rise of the Ronin, kinda don't like how the combat looks like it has some Ghost of Tsushima inspiration though.

Silent Hill 2 looked awful btw, the fact it looks like REmake 2 but on a budget, and that they actually focused on combat almost entirely in a trailer for Silent Hill game makes me think Bloober doesn't get it.

Also Dragon's Dogma 2 still looks great 🔥🔥🔥🔥 Looked like the most "real game" here lol.

Overall it felt like a 3 - 4 / 10 state of play that might actually be like a 6 - 7 / 10 in terms of its game content. I'm slightly interested in Death Stranding 2, Stellar Blade, Judas and Ronin but we'll just have to see.

The comments on this are amusing:

kcpanda2464 said:
The fact that silent hill needs a “combat trailer” disturbs me more than anything haha
onelegend said:
01:11 why the kick sound like free sound effect
ghostofwar5430 said:
To people disappointed about no release date......do you see how this looks? Its better not to have it yet because this must be improved big time
tunaduman9176 said:
Thanks konami, for giving 5 dollar budget and a free sandwich to the studio that is making one of your best games remake.
J4o4s4e4p4h4 said:
Those gunshots sounded like water pistol farts. And the goo splashes also looked bit out of color pallet of its surroundings. But overall not bad.

A solid SoP I’d say.

Stellar Blade looks kinda cool, but it’s got elements that are a big turn off for me. The violence is really over-the-top, and the blood and gore is kinda too much for my tastes. And then the design for the main character, oof. She sticks out like a sore, jiggly thumb. Not good. And the VA seemed quite bad too. This is a game to play with the Japanese Korean VA.

The Silent Hill shadow drop looks amazing, but I think it’s too scary for me. I probably couldn’t handle it.

SH2 looks like a straight-up disaster.

Judas is more Bioshock. Enjoy, Bioshock fans.

Metro VR looks sick. This is what PSVR2 needs.

Rise of the Ronin underwhelmed me after the pretty-darn-good reveal trailer. The gameplay just screams “nothing special”.

Dragon’s Dogma 2 continues to look amazing.

Until Dawn is not my thing.

Death Stranding 2, as someone who didn’t play the first game, was so fucking batshit crazy that it makes me want to play the first game. I could have done with a trailer that was maybe half as long as this one, but it was really, really cool.

And I am definitely skipping that Rebirth SoP. If it was just a trailer today I probably would have caved and watched it, but there ain’t no way I’m gonna watch an entire presentation on a game that’s only a month away and I’m already sold on.

————

I give this SoP a B. It was fine. I was never bored watching it. I actually didn’t skip anything, which is remarkable for me. I usually skip a ton of stuff in these presentations.

Last edited:
I think it's really funny Foamstars is getting completely overlooked by everyone here. It's the game to finally capture the attention of the West that Splatoon failed to grab, after all

And I am definitely skipping that Rebirth SoP. If it was just a trailer today I probably would have caved and watched it, but there ain’t no way I’m gonna watch an entire presentation on a game that’s only a month away and I’m already sold on.
FF7Rebirth is one of the few times basically everyone I know is like "Look Square, we're all buying your game already! We've been sold on it multiple times over! We don't need to see anything more! STOOOOP!"

A solid SoP I’d say.

Stellar Blade looks kinda cool, but it’s got elements that are a big turn off for me. The violence is really over-the-top, and the blood and gore is kinda too much for my tastes. And then the design for the main character, oof. She sticks out like a sore, jiggly thumb. Not good. And the VA seemed quite bad too. This is a game to play with the Japanese VA.

The Silent Hill shadow drop looks amazing, but I think it’s too scary for me. I probably couldn’t handle it.

Rise of the Ronin underwhelmed me after the pretty-darn-good reveal trailer. The gameplay just screams “nothing special”.

Death Stranding 2, as someone who didn’t play the first game, was so fucking batshit crazy that it makes me want to play the first game. I could have done with a trailer that was maybe half as long as this one, but it was really, really cool.

————

I give this SoP a B. It was fine. I was never bored watching it. I actually didn’t skip anything, which is remarkable for me. I usually skip a ton of stuff in these presentations.
Stellar Blade is a South Korean game. Think you’ll be playing with Korean voice acting. (Unless I’m wrong?)

I'm one of those weirdos that if Rise of the Ronin is more Assassin's Creed than Sekiro, then considered me interested.

I'm one of those weirdos that if Rise of the Ronin is more Assassin's Creed than Sekiro, then considered me interested.
I'm more the opposite - if it's basically open-world-ish Nioh + Sekiro, then I'm all in. But if it leans too much toward AC and is more Ubisoft-y then I'm kind of out.

I think it's really funny Foamstars is getting completely overlooked by everyone here. It's the game to finally capture the attention of the West that Splatoon failed to grab, after all
It looks poopswaine af. Destruction AllStars type game.

I’m no Silent Hill fan. And never played the series, just observe the threads of about the games on era and gaf back in the day.

that trailer really seems like nothing the series is known/talked about? Music seemed…strange too? I’m a little worry for fans of SH2, it’s always talked about like it’s a beloved game and whatnot. Would like to see the fandom happy with the remake

In 2014 the Bioshock Infinite dlc was complete and Ken Levine laid off like 100 people so that he could start over with a small team and just make smaller games from now on. Ten years later he releases a trailer for hiis game, a next-gen bioshock.

I'm more the opposite - if it's basically open-world-ish Nioh + Sekiro, then I'm all in. But if it leans too much toward AC and is more Ubisoft-y then I'm kind of out.

I'm the type that doesn't really look for challenge in open world games. To me, it's a barrier to enjoying other parts of the game. I like the flow of exploring, combat, quests, repeat. I'd rather combat just be one aspect of a greater whole rather than it be the main point.

i think to be clear he's not suggesting this is like OD where its half movie/half game or even that there is a movie necessarily coming, but that the game is being made with the full force of Sony Pictures/Music/PS behind it. I think he's suggesting Avatar production values and tech rather than "weird narrative film meets game" type thing or "it's a film and a game" - perhaps suggesting he believes the game will be indistinguishable from live action.
That might be true. Hard to know which way this will go based on his ambitions. Will just have to see what comes of it. I do like that it’s MGS style gameplay it sounds like.

A solid SoP I’d say.

Stellar Blade looks kinda cool, but it’s got elements that are a big turn off for me. The violence is really over-the-top, and the blood and gore is kinda too much for my tastes. And then the design for the main character, oof. She sticks out like a sore, jiggly thumb. Not good. And the VA seemed quite bad too. This is a game to play with the Japanese Korean VA.

————

My problem is it game me that Summer Games Fest “space horror” vibe. Everything was like gruesome action game and no fun ideas were present save the Sonic/Dave the Diver part. Will play some of these but give me some colorful, whimsical stuff.

2025 might be the year when it makes sense to buy a ps5, unless monster hunter wild gets released on the next switch, in that case I just don’t know.

My problem is it game me that Summer Games Fest “space horror” vibe. Everything was like gruesome action game and no fun ideas were present save the Sonic/Dave the Diver part. Will play some of these but give me some colorful, whimsical stuff.
Astro is coming!

Death Stranding 2 looks so ridiculous and stupid and I have never been so in for something. Might have just become my most anticipated game ATM. Like you gotta be kidding me with that fuckin' 10 fps Mimir puppet. Too bad it's 2025.

Judas looks really good. Been too long since our last Bioshock so I hope the vibes hit the same.

Stellar Blade and Ronin look good, but I'll wait to hear more hands on takes before considering them.

Silent Hill 2 really does look like an Xbox 360 Arcade version of a RE2 ripoff. I hope it's better than it looks.

Concord is still slated for 2024 so I guess we'll see that in a Showcase (RIGHT SONY???) in the middle of the year.

Solid SoP but the leaks definitely spoiled it.

Actually watching the Rise of the Ronin section again has me more optimistic - I like the look of the combat and it's an interesting mix of more usual Nioh-y KT games with some open world stuff. I think the big question will be how that all meshes together, especially since Nioh and Wo Long were so linear and level-based.

Back
Top Bottom