• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Sonic Superstars - Review prediction thread

Sonic superstars Metacritic/Opencritic score?

• 90+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • 80-84

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • 75-79

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • 70-74

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • <69

Votes: 16 10.1%

• Total voters
Whenever you need a below average to mediocre game you call Arzest
Oh, shit, I contracted them to build my house, I hope it's oka--

b15c63059de2b41fdbac04395889b8b941e93a30.png

Amazing how people not caring about reviews always correlates with games that aren't doing so hot in the review front
What reason would someone have to say "uh its good that its getting good reviews but I don't care"? That's an absurd stance, since by the nature of a positive or negative comment there is no context where you'd see someone that doesn't care about reviews having to speak up about a positive note, while someone who is looking forward to a product seeing it get weaker reviews will naturally feel an urge to voice their stance.

On that matter, every single Switch game I have was bought without taking a single glance at any review, because I know my tastes better than anyone, and naturally there was no point where I went on review threads to say "dont care lol".

At times this looks so good, and at others it's a mess.

I feel like the whole game would have benefited from being a bit more zoomed out. The environments don't hold up to this close of a look lol.

Reviewing better than I expected based on the leaked footage. Is about what I was expecting before the leaks. Standard Sonic stuff.

I don’t wanna rag on Sonic too much but I do think it’s kinda sad that just decent is what’s expected of his games nowadays.

Like we have a 2d mario coming out in a couple weeks that would essentially be seen as a failure if it ended up anywhere in the 70’s on metacritic. I feel like the general expectation for Mario is high 80’s to 90’s. Sonic should be that as well.

There are games I adore that reviewed just okay and I don't care too much, but let's not deny the shot of dopamine that comes good reviews. The satisfaction from knowing that other people agree with you that the cool thing is cool is real.

What reason would someone have to say "uh its good that its getting good reviews but I don't care"? That's an absurd stance, since by the nature of a positive or negative comment there is no context where you'd see someone that doesn't care about reviews having to speak up about a positive note, while someone who is looking forward to a product seeing it get weaker reviews will naturally feel an urge to voice their stance.

On that matter, every single Switch game I have was bought without taking a single glance at any review, because I know my tastes better than anyone, and naturally there was no point where I went on review threads to say "dont care lol".
This is a great point. Nobody will say they don't care about reviews as a justification for buying something if the overall vibes are really positive lol. Personally, I also have a very good grasp on what I will probably enjoy and try to avoid reviews for things I'm interested in, unless I'm on the fence (as I am a bit in this case).

I do care about some reviews, but only when it's from a specific person whose opinions I understand and whose values resemble mine. So like, if someone I literally don't know at all says x game sucks, that doesn't really tell me anything other than "x person didn't like this". If a reviewer I've been following for a decade who tends to like things that I enjoy in games says "y game is great" then I have a good sense that I may enjoy it too.

This is my biggest argument for why I think metascores are overvalued... They are fun for a chat and thought experiment, but they will always represent an ultimately limited number of povs from a group of people you may not even have similar tastes to. I strongly feel it's better to find voices you trust instead of worrying about aggregate scores

/endrant lol

When it comes to scores I would think you’d find someone who has similar taste to you. Maybe that persons score will mean more than the overall aggregate.

No less absurd than coming in to inform us, in two different threads no less, one specifically about reviews, about how little you care about reviews to begin with.

Like, the person hasn't even played the game yet. Yet they've zero hesitation trying to tell us that it doesn't matter what people who have played it think. In threads specifically about that. Completely absurd.

No less absurd than coming in to inform us, in two different threads no less, one specifically about reviews, about how little you care about reviews to begin with.

Like, the person hasn't even played the game yet. Yet they've zero hesitation trying to tell us that it doesn't matter what people who have played it think. In threads specifically about that. Completely absurd.
Maybe I missed something, but "I am still getting it because I have never cared about reviews" doesn't feel the same to me as "it doesn't matter what people who have played it think". It's one person saying they're still interested in trying it for themselves. Where's the harm in that?

For my part, I already mentioned how I do value reviews, but the context of said reviews/impressions matters. There's a scathingly negative take for literally every work of art I have ever loved. I wasn't too interested in the secondhand reactions to dumped copies, and tbh I still haven't seen a Sonic Superstars review from anyone who I actually am familiar with. The reviewer from gamexplain seemed to like it, but idk that person so that's a case of me saying "I don't really care about that review" in a positive context.

Why is Arzest so bad????

is it poor management, very little devs working for them....or simply low funding??
I recently read a pretty interesting article regarding not video games, but rather the anime industry and how there's not only a strong lack of mentorship within the industry, but it also has basically an inverse correlation with poor working conditions. As the industry continues to a see a decrease in knowledgable seniors who can really show newbies the ropes, the newbies are getting crunched harder on top of that. It's a worst of both worlds situation.

Sakugablog: Systemic Lack of Training, “Convenient” Technological Advances, and the Destruction of Technique & Knowledge in the Anime Industry

I wouldn't be surprised if something similar was happening with Arzest, Sonic Team, and possibly just most of Sega in general.

I don't think it's much of a stretch to say Sega is not a very good company: Sonic games have been historically faced with incredibly devastating crunch, with Tekashi Iizuka stating he literally thought he was on the brink of death during the development of Sonic Heroes and that crunch remaining with the series even in more modern years with the Sonic Origins devs having to experience similar development crunch. Outside of Sonic, this is also the same company that just cancelled their "biggest budget game ever" a few weeks ago and laid off a massive amount of the staff that worked on it. Sega executives spent a massive amount of money on funding this project but couldn't bother to find people to actually manage it (or even see if it would be a worthwhile project to begin with, given that from what I've seen, most people knew it was going to be a dead-on-arrival title), and the dev teams are the ones who are going to have to bear the full brunt of it.

It's a situation filled with incompetency all around: lousy higher-ups have lousy management which lead to lousy developers with no help who create lousy video games. This has been Sonic Team's mantra for basically their entire time in a post-Dreamcast world with a few exceptions to the rule here and there.

It's such a shame too because a Mania sequel should've been an easy slam dunk on Sega's end, especially to help on following up with Frontiers' mediocre reception. But alas, a lot of the Mania team is working on their new 3D platformer project and at the end of the day, this is Sega and Sonic the Hedgehog we're talking about.

I don’t understand the doom and gloom here, it’s one of the best reviewed sonic games ever, and the best reviewed arzest game. From the comments it seems like the game is getting a 65 metacritic score and not a 75

It's a situation filled with incompetency all around: lousy higher-ups have lousy management which lead to lousy developers with no help who create lousy video games. This has been Sonic Team's mantra for basically their entire time in a post-Dreamcast world with a few exceptions to the rule here and there.

They need Naka-san holding the reins again. He was great at implementing digital pets that hatch from eggs and so forth.

I don’t understand the doom and gloom here, it’s one of the best reviewed sonic games ever, and the best reviewed arzest game. From the comments it seems like the game is getting a 65 metacritic score and not a 75
Yoshi's Island DS had an 81 and Superstars has been fluctuating between 70-75 all day. 75 is also a pretty average to bad score.

"I don't care about the reviews, if it scores high whatever" - A Zelda fan when Tears of the Kingdom gets a 96

Now I wanna see that lol
"I don't care that it reviewed highly, I still didn't enjoy it" - me playing Majora's Mask

*runs away*

Yoshi's Island DS had an 81 and Superstars has been fluctuating between 70-75 all day. 75 is also a pretty average to bad score.
Yoshi island ds wasn’t made by arzest but by artoon, you’re thinking of yoshi new island.
And 75 is an average score but not a bad one. Like I said it’s in the higher range of sonic games

"I don't care about the reviews, if it scores high whatever" - A Zelda fan when Tears of the Kingdom gets a 96

Now I wanna see that lol
I mean

That was me lol

This game has been one of the few times though where I did want to use reviews as a barometer, so I'm waiting for a deep sale

SEGA: “Sprites are outdated and wont sell these days” hires fucking Arzest to make some crusty-ass visuals instead

Pure comedy. Sure sounds like a Sonic game alright, wasn't gonna get this at launch, but guess I’m better off avoiding it and replaying Mania instead.
To be completely fair, if Evening Star were at the helm, it probably would not have been a sprite based game either. That team was also interested in trying a new visual style. So make of that what you will. Thanks, Arzest!
Reviewing better than I expected based on the leaked footage. Is about what I was expecting before the leaks. Standard Sonic stuff.

I don’t wanna rag on Sonic too much but I do think it’s kinda sad that just decent is what’s expected of his games nowadays.

Like we have a 2d mario coming out in a couple weeks that would essentially be seen as a failure if it ended up anywhere in the 70’s on metacritic. I feel like the general expectation for Mario is high 80’s to 90’s. Sonic should be that as well.
Remember: even Sonic Mania, the best Sonic in years, was just in the mid 80s with reviewers. Not to say that the standards for a game like Mario are a lot higher, mind you, but you can kinda see where we are at here. Does make we wish we could just have a standout entry again without massive caveats.

I mean

That was me lol

This game has been one of the few times though where I did want to use reviews as a barometer, so I'm waiting for a deep sale
I mean, I'm pretty sure I said similar things about how I didn't care if it didn't score above a 90. But that had more to do with not caring about the prestige of the series. I don't guide my taste through reviews, but there is an aspect of like "oh I can probably guess the quality to some extent" through a review average + personal taste (fails sometimes tho, ofc). So it's usually less concerning if something scores incredibly high, like a 96, even if I have my doubts. Of course mileage always varies.

To be completely fair, if Evening Star were at the helm, it probably would not have been a sprite based game either. That team was also interested in trying a new visual style. So make of that what you will. Thanks, Arzest!

Remember: even Sonic Mania, the best Sonic in years, was just in the mid 80s with reviewers. Not to say that the standards for a game like Mario are a lot higher, mind you, but you can kinda see where we are at here. Does make we wish we could just have a standout entry again without massive caveats.
didn't mania plus get above 90 on switch

Arzest and Artoon are the same
Seems like brock reiher has mistaken artoon for this d*ckhead studio arzest. It seems logical because arzest also works by contract with nintendo and in fact does the same exact bad platformers that artoon do and he also has a penchant for bad vigeomane ost. Artoon and arzest even did a mediocre game in the same franchise, although Artoon has made a slightly better game.

Yoshi island ds wasn’t made by arzest but by artoon, you’re thinking of yoshi new island.
And 75 is an average score but not a bad one. Like I said it’s in the higher range of sonic games
yeah as much as I like to defend artoon because of blinx denying their track record based on that logic is revisionist
its a direct continuation all but legally

is it just me or is it kinda strange that not many big outlets have a review up? probably just a smaller game so its review takes less priority but I would have expected at least eurogamer or smth rn? did sega send out copies late?

Seems like brock reiher has mistaken artoon for this d*ckhead studio arzest. It seems logical because arzest also works by contract with nintendo and in fact does the same exact bad platformers that artoon do and he also has a penchant for bad vigeomane ost. Artoon and arzest even did a mediocre game in the same franchise, although Artoon has made a slightly better game.
One closed and the other was created immediately after by the same people

is it just me or is it kinda strange that not many big outlets have a review up? probably just a smaller game so its review takes less priority but I would have expected at least eurogamer or smth rn? did sega send out copies late?

I did see NintendoLife mention they did not receive a Switch review code, but one of their sibling review sites got a Playstation code instead. Not the entire picture but could lead to certain outlets not having reviews out right now.

One closed and the other was created immediately after by the same people
Yup its the same situation as to why people lump Clover Studio's games and Platinum Games' ludography together
or how comes Nausica of the Valley of the wind is considered a Ghibli movie even tho it existed before Ghibli was formed. All the same people so theirs legacies are intertwined.

After seeing some impressions and watching some leaked gameplay.....I have come to my determination..........

Star Wars Holocron on X: “You are on this council, but we do not grant you  the rank of master.” “What? How can you do this? This is outrageous, it's  unfair! How

"You will be part of this game collection, but we do not grant you the rank of full price purchase"

Seems like it's at least a high tier effort by Arzest standards, though that's probably not enough to inspire a day one buy from myself. I'll definitely pick it up since I'm too much a Sonic fan not to get a game that looks to be at least solid, but it probably won't be until a Black Friday discount; it's a bit too much an ask to go full price in the same week Wonder is dropping.

Those level select screens are... whelming

After Origin's menus I thought we'd see something cool D:

Emerald Powers also seem very meh in their implementation. I would have preferred they just be level gimmicks.

Unrelated but how does Yoshi’s Island DS have a meta score of 81, it’s one of the blandest, most both video games I’ve ever played. Publishers please stop hiring these guys to make your games.

Last edited:
75 is a good score, more or less where I expected initially and a bit higher than what I anticipated after some impressions from leaks, but at the same time there are currently only 27 reviews, which is suspiciously low for a big release - I'm curious what the score will be once it gets close to 100 reviews.

Are there any Switch reviews at all yet? Worried if they purposely held them back due to performance.
So far there are only PS5 reviews - nothing for Switch, PC, Xbox or last gen.

Watching some more reviews this evening, my hype is restored.

Though, I am going to tread very carefully as to which platform I get it on... if PC will probably wait for a Sale. The leaked PS4(?) footage looked rough, so I fear for Switch.

TBH I wish this just had a lower price. I'd happily support it at launch then, and view it like I would a handheld title of the past.

Bummer about Battle Mode looking pretty thin. Reminds me of Luigi's Mansion with regards to no longetivity.

I was hoping for proper online races on the main stages too.

pardon the double post, but scratch that! Switch version looks totally fine

this will be gorgeous on the OLED in handheld :) - I doubt I'll be able to resist a same week mario sonic impulse buy

Reminds me of Luigi's Mansion with regards to no longetivity.
ain't no way you said luigi's mansion got no longevity. that game is 100% meat. no filler. you're in, you're out. no bullshit. replay that every halloween. i will not stand luigi's mansion slander.

Back
Top Bottom