• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Sonic Superstars - Review prediction thread

Sonic superstars Metacritic/Opencritic score?

• 90+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 85-89

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • 80-84

Votes: 44 27.8%
  • 75-79

Votes: 65 41.1%
  • 70-74

Votes: 25 15.8%
  • <69

Votes: 16 10.1%

• Total voters

beej

Tektite
Im going 71.
The previews have been pretty positive so far but then again Sonic Frontiers got around 65.

Last edited:
Optimistically I think high 70s. But I honestly don't know. This will be one of the few times I'm actually interested to see how the reviews shake out.

Though I just checked and currently Frontiers has a 71.

I feel like I'm the only one who likes this look better than Mania. I'm rooting for Sonic fans and going low 80s.

low 80s feels like a solid bet. better than the usual sonic fare for sure though not quite Sonic Mania level

Mania is considered some of the best 2D Sonic as of now and it is currently rated at 86 on PS4 (which has the most reviews) and Switch while being 84 on Xbox and 83 on PC.

I think Sonic Superstars will be a good/great game but I'm still not convinced it'll necessarily be as good as Mania so low 80s overall seems like a safe bet at this point despite positive previews (which to be fair don't always reflect final reviews).

Just hoping for a moderate/good success overall so whatever team is working on it between Arzest and Sonic Team can refine what they're doing with a sequel.

Last edited:
They have the physics but it's all going to depend on who's designing the levels. I recall how bad the DIMPS made Sonic Rush ones were, curious who will be doing them at Sonic Team. Colours levels were "fine" so I'll go with 75.

Last edited:
This game is so weird. Whether or not it seems like a quality product keeps fluctuating.

I'll go with 75-83, and I won't apologize.

considering mania+'s score of 91 for switch i'm expecting a low 80 or high 70. Def won't be as good and priced higher, but I think it'll still be a ton of fun

famitsu gave it 32/40 = AVG 8/10
Famitsu are usually higher so this looks like a low to mid 70s game

they gave Sea of Stars a 33, thats around a 90 meta game

their scores more just feel random. not that i have especially high hopes for this title either way

I still believe it's at least an 80 on MC and OC but wouldn't be surprised if it is an upper 70s game.

Either way it still looks fun.

Also Famitsu isn't really the standard for review scores lol, just to fit narratives as an attempt early on!

Well, the developers have a history of making utter dogshit like Balan Wonderworld and Hey! Pikmin

I expect it to be sub 70.

Optimistically I think high 70s. But I honestly don't know. This will be one of the few times I'm actually interested to see how the reviews shake out.

Though I just checked and currently Frontiers has a 71.

That Frontiers score is like... 20 points too high. I went and looked at the Metacritic reviews, I don't know how anyone, even if they liked the game, could straight-faced give it a 9/10.

That Frontiers score is like... 20 points too high. I went and looked at the Metacritic reviews, I don't know how anyone, even if they liked the game, could straight-faced give it a 9/10.
I had a lot of fun with Frontiers! It also had... a lot of problems that you can't just overlook. Like the max I would give it is a 7. I don't know how experience the pop-in (on literally every platform), slippery physics, and horrible camera and go "yeah that game was absolutely amazing." Honestly as a Sonic fan myself I think there's a level of like "oh hey, this one doesn't actively suck, it's amazing!" on release but I think 10 years from now people won't look as fondly on it.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I think this'll score in the 60s. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though!

Out of curiosity, I looked up what Famitsu gave Sonic Mania and it was also a 32/40

So the same score.
Which was wild because they scored Mania lower than Sonic Forces.

Sonic Forces.

But either way, if this means Superstars is on par with what was the highest-rated Sonic game in fifteen years at its release (and still the highest-rated since) would be a pretty big win. Best case scenario is maybe they tend to rate 2D Sonic games weirdly low and Superstars ends up better than we're expecting. The truth probably is that their reviews are random as hell and we can't infer anything from this but hey. I'm just having fun hoping for the best. 😅

I had a lot of fun with Frontiers! It also had... a lot of problems that you can't just overlook. Like the max I would give it is a 7. I don't know how experience the pop-in (on literally every platform), slippery physics, and horrible camera and go "yeah that game was absolutely amazing." Honestly as a Sonic fan myself I think there's a level of like "oh hey, this one doesn't actively suck, it's amazing!" on release but I think 10 years from now people won't look as fondly on it.

Anyway back to the topic at hand, I think this'll score in the 60s. I hope to be pleasantly surprised though!
Well put.

I love a lot of frontiers simply because I can hardly believe the series survived to this point to put out a competent game that actually takes risks, and I'm excited for what it could represent... but even I wouldn't give it more than a 7.

Personally I think it's my favourite Sonic game, even though it objectively has WAY more problems than like 3&K, Generations or Mania. Some of the most questionable design decisions I've seen, like targeting the Update 3 final boss' weak point being purposefully obtuse so learning how to do it is your 100% reward for the DLC, but man I just love it.

I'd give it around a 7 or an 8 personally, but it's one of the coolest 8/10's I've played. Sonic fans have built up a bit of a tolerance to weird bullshit that's actually not an issue once you know about it. Hell, Sonic Unleashed had a fairly high user Metacritic score even when it released, when quite a few major outlets reviewed it lower than Sonic 06. This has been going on for a while with Sonic fans.
Enjoying stuff despite knowing the flaws if they don't really bother you personally is relieving at times honestly. It's why Bomb Rush Cyberfunk is my GotY, and that game basically got 7/10s across the board.

Im going 73 with this one, the game looks fine but looks kind of cheap, also arzest cant be trusted

Which was wild because they scored Mania lower than Sonic Forces.

Sonic Forces.

But either way, if this means Superstars is on par with what was the highest-rated Sonic game in fifteen years at its release (and still the highest-rated since) would be a pretty big win. Best case scenario is maybe they tend to rate 2D Sonic games weirdly low and Superstars ends up better than we're expecting. The truth probably is that their reviews are random as hell and we can't infer anything from this but hey. I'm just having fun hoping for the best. 😅

Yeah it's the latter part of what you said: Famitsu is all over the place and imo I never put too much stock into their reviews.

Based on everything I see it should be a fun 2D platformer like the classics but I'm just not sure how the 3-4 player co-op will be in each level. There will be chaos, but if it's possible for all players to play well and not feel too automated and out of control then that's a W in my opinion. Expecting a surprise next week.

Oh and the online mode will probably just be a distraction at best haha.

Anyone know when the review embargo ends?
Yeah this too, waiting on non-Famitsu reviews before I lock in getting this. I think it'll be good but unlike Mania I'm not 100% sure ahead of time I'll love it/wouldn't prefer to just wait for it to go on sale.

someone completed this game in about 4 and a half hours on PS4. 2nd half quality is supposedly a bit lower as well.
Im changing my score to a 71

I never really get into these sorts of numbers conversations because I'm bad at predicting anything (I mean, just look at my avatar right now), but fuck it, I sorta feel a 79. I think it'll be like Frontiers where some reviewers love it and some are meh about it, with the aggregate score settling somewhere in the middle.

And since I've warmed up to the artstyle since the reveal, I expect to personally be more on the positive side. Can't wait to see!

someone completed this game in about 4 and a half hours on PS4. 2nd half quality is supposedly a bit lower as well.
Im changing my score to a 71

That would put it right on a similar length to all the other 2d Sonic games, so that's probably about right for playtime.

I heard the game was sold to someone early.

So I imagine we're in that funny period of "someone played the game bad and now people think it's shit" or something lol.

I've heard that the second half of the game is a trainwreck so I'm honestly expecting sub 70 at this point now.

4 hours sounds about right for a 2D Sonic game.
As a full price game though that's a hard sell nowadays.

I might have overshot it with my 73 prediction, the trailers looked good so that's unfortunate.

Back
Top Bottom