• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions So what will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

What will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

• New Super Mario Bros Wii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 37 14.8%
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pokémon Channel

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • PokéPark (either or both)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-Zero GX

Votes: 159 63.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • I'm reading too deep into this and there won't be a GCN/Wii shadowdrop

Votes: 33 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My vote goes to GX because of all F-Zero rumblings we've had and because of the Paper Mario Remaster talk. Since the original Paper Mario is already available on NSO, I think that if this remaster does indeed exist, it's of The Thousand-Year Door.

I don't really follow things enough to have an informed guess but I would love to get info on Suikoden remasters or, for the pipedream wish of my heart, a Xenoblade X port.

My vote goes to GX because of all F-Zero rumblings we've had and because of the Paper Mario Remaster talk. Since the original Paper Mario is already available on NSO, I think that if this remaster does indeed exist, it's of The Thousand-Year Door.
Well, that's the interesting part; this is a "pattern" now in part because of Metroid Prime Remastered. A remaster of TTYD could theoretically be shadow dropped in a very similar matter, though I personally don't see it happening two months before Super Mario RPG.

I put pattern in quotes, though, because to expand on my earlier post, I disagree somewhat with this premise:
With the recent revelation that they seemingly have a whole team dedicated to this sort of thing (which worked on Pikmin 1+2),
'This sort of thing' is quite broad. So far they've worked on one GCN/Wii port project. The name of the team is vague enough that they could theoretically be on a number of different things now, not all of which are even necessarily games, especially with new hardware likely far enough into development to have backend software tooling being worked on.

Until I see them work on multiple Hagi ports in a row, I'm not calling it a pattern - and even if they do, it's not necessarily going to be every 3-5 months. Prime Remastered and Pikmin 1+2 were developed under very different circumstances, and their back to back Direct reveals were coincidental. I do think the shadow drop strategy for both was intentional and a sign of how they'll handle games like these going forward (and there will certainly be more, emulated or otherwise), but the frequency should be ignored for now.

Metroid Prime 2 or F-Zero GX HD

Paper Mario TTYD HD is being saved for the Feb 24 Direct since that’s where the next Paper Mario will be announced (maxing out your marketing potential like Pikmin 1+2 and Pikmin 4 in Jun 23 Direct)

Of the specific options presented, I'd find F-Zero the most likely. I find the proximity to similar titles is likely a stronger deterrent for the other titles, though what an F-Zero GX shadowdrop would mean for the series at this point is anyone's guess. One can only hope it doesn't impact the F-Zero: Hyper-Stylish Racing Action Game from Platinum Games.

Supreme Overlord said:
Tangential thought: an F-Zero Hyper Stylish Racing Action Game by Platinum Games would almost certainly include some iteration of Wonder Red
Supreme Overlord said:
I present again the outlandish idea of

F-Zero, Hyper Stylish Racing Action Game developed by Platinum Games​
I must conclude that the idea was too far out there ...

Or that Nintendo already has Platinum Games on queue for an F-Zero Hyper Stylish Racing Action Game.​
They wouldn't be in this situation if they'd just gone ahead and made that F-Zero Hyper Stylish Racing Action Game.
Just have Platinum Games go wild with an F-Zero Hyper-Stylish Racing Action Game and see what happens.

It'll at least be hyper-stylish.​
The obvious answer, though, for a fresh take on the series is in the hands of a stylish and action-oriented developer, harboring an affinity for the arcade past as well as a strong relationship with Nintendo: Platinum Games' F-Zero Hyper Stylish Racing Action Game!
It's fast. It's tough. It's stylish. You all know and love it. It's F-Zero!

And how should a new F-Zero manifest in these times but through the aid of a studio that can handle all this with an affinity for arcade action and an already close working relationship with Nintendo?

Rather than a standard Stylish Character Action Game, PlatinumGames now presents F-Zero, Hyper-Stylish Racing Action Game!​
F-Zero provides such stylish racing at hyper speeds, forming an offering vastly different from other racers such as Mario Kart. One option would be to enlist the help of a partner developer that would lend itself to accentuating and leaning into that particular arcade nature, hence the existence of PlatinumGames' F-Zero: Hyper-Stylish Racing Action Game.

That's before we consider the different types of return which have been presented. Metroid Prime and Pikmin 1+2 have different amounts and types of work applied to them, which suggests they could be categorized differently.

There's also the possibility of Metroid Prime returning, as there were rumors of the second games receiving quick ports. However, there was also the suggestion that they might use the first game as a baseline, which I find translates better with the view of Metroid as a prestige series. In this case, I doubt the next release would be ready at this time.

If we broaden the parameters a bit, Wario, for instance, could still have options. A Wario Land collection would be a good get, as unlikely as it might be, and wouldn't be too similar to his upcoming game.

For Mario, there's the original Luigi's Mansion, which should see a release and which I hope will retain its distinct aesthetic and identity. The Super Mario Galaxy games could be strong options at some point, and the first game's availability being relegated to a limited-time promotion lends to the possibility of a Pikmin-style dual pack.

Chibi-Robo! deserves another chance, especially given the way sequel titles were treated. A new title seems unlikely, but I think the best option here is to bring the original game forward and include the other games with it. Even if the lil' robot can't get a new game, this would make the series available.

Similarly, GiFTPiA could use a return. As for Captain Rainbow, I'm partial to the idea of another game featuring our hero and a group of forgotten misfits, which also brings the original back.

Games like Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, and Zangeki no Reginleiv would do well to be brought back, as unlikely as that seems.

The Excite! titles might not be seen as enough for their own releases, but a bundled Excite! Racing League would alleviate that.

Cubivore would be fairly simple, but probably wouldn't be high on the list of priorities.

Really, though, I appreciate how Switch could be positioned as a console that can collect the different titles from Nintendo's history.

This actually makes sense. They have plenty of cheerful colorful games confirmed, so a darker title would have an audience. Does the game hold up?
It has its rough spots, and a number of effects wouldn't make any sense these days as they are, but I still think it's a great time for anyone who is able to get into it. It would probably just take a bit much work to reach a level of polish Nintendo would be comfortable with, something more akin to the Metroid Prime treatment.

Personally, I think an upgraded PSX-inspired visual identity could help polish it graphically and play into the atmosphere while helping keep development time and costs from ballooning. Updates to the sanity system shouldn't prove too difficult. In the end, it probably depends on the controls. They hark back to an earlier time, but I recall that they worked.

I'm a strong advocate for the unlikely return of Eternal Darkness.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Remaster.
Metroid Prime Remaster is so magical, I can't wait another high profile remake of Prime 2.
If NOT, I will blame each and everyone of you in the thread.

To be honest I don't expect NSMBWii until the 40th Anniversary, and then as part of a collection with NSMB and NSMB2.

New Super Mario All-Stars might even be the last big Switch 1 sendoff title in late 2025.

I voted TTYD but now that I think about it, it's too close to Mario RPG.

I think Prime 2 is dropped, 3 is announced and MP4 is highlight of the Direct.

Another possibility is Luigi's Mansion 1 since 2 is getting remastered next year.

captain-falcon-fzero.gif

I voted for none. This isn't a pattern and just a coincidence.
I agree, it’s fun to speculate, but I think expecting this as the norm will just lead to dissapointment. That being said, I wouldn’t be surprised if hd versions of mario galaxy 2, f-zero gx or metroid prime 2 & 3 made their way to switch after the skyward sword, the pikmin games and mp remaster, but I am not expecting them at all.

I also think it’s just as likely that we get more 3ds ports, Like tomadachi life, mario 3d land, or ever oasis

Last edited:
I realized I neglected to mention Punch-Out!, of which a release actually doesn't seem improbable depending on Nintendo's current plans for the series, though I like to imagine it mightat least be expanded upon somehow, which veers much more strongly into unlikely territory.

Viewtiful Joe 1+2
Sees Viewtiful Joe, tips hat, carry on smartly fellow Joe enjoyer

Here I am still waiting for one more game to be developed and released in Viewtiful Joe: The Red Hot Trilogy, a collection including the three games and Red Hot Rumble.

To be honest I don't expect NSMBWii until the 40th Anniversary, and then as part of a collection with NSMB and NSMB2.

New Super Mario All-Stars might even be the last big Switch 1 sendoff title in late 2025.

See, I had figured the advent of the Switch era would have been an ideal time to package all the New Super Mario Bros. games together and move onto a new take on the series.

I supposedly there's still time.

All this said, I suppose I should note I agree with the sentiment that we can't necessarily count on this occurrence taking place going forward, especially given the disparity in treatments making what this is inconsistent to begin with, though Nintendo certainly does have enough feasible titles for it.

I don't think all GC remasters will be shadowdropped, as different kinds of market positioning or workload are expected for each game - Kirby being properly announced on a Direct four months prior, while MP1HD was shadowdropped with no mention of MP4 at all. For example, I highly doubt a Paper Mario Thousand Year Door would be just released in the market without a previous market cycle, but for Pikmin 1+2 being used as a market tool for other game, it made sense. However, I'm not sure how Nintendo is seeing this approach after the recent batch of shadowdrops and, I believe, different levels of success. I have in my mind that they were expecting bigger sales for MP1HD (Xenoblade 1 had bigger sales and bigger marketing cycle, and frankly MP1HD is not a lesser remaster / remake when compared to XBC1HD), and that could have been achieved with a more robust release. The same could not have been said for Pikmin, as I doubt they would have had any higher impact due to Pikmin 4 just around the corner.
If Nintendo is seeing this more as legacy software availability and maintenance, then yes, I could see a F-Zero or Paper Mario in the next direct.

Luigi Mansion 3DS looks inferior to the og, they killed is unique style
the issue is that the OG luigi mansion was already ported to the 3DS. I doubt they will rework it for the Switch anytime soon. Same for the late 3DS releases, like Metroid 2 remake, Mario and Luigi and Fire Emblem Echoes, all which would have been quite welcomed.

I assume F-Zero. I figure we don't see MP 2+3 until closer to MP 4 launch. Similar to how Nintendo has handled Pikmin. We got 3 in 2020, then got 1+2 shadow dropped not long before 4. We just got MP 1 this year. I figure 2+3 will shadow drop close to MP 4 launch. As for Paper Mario, that will be in-between F-Zero and MP 2+3 is my best guess. My biggest hope is for TP HD and WW HD. That feels like it will release next year if it exists.

See, I had figured the advent of the Switch era would have been an ideal time to package all the New Super Mario Bros. games together and move onto a new take on the series.

I supposedly there's still time.
This is what I would have done - people would dunk on it for the games being too similar, but a New Super Mario All-Stars with 1/2/Wii remastered would be a great value and I’d definitely pick it up.

…probably too good a value for Nintendo nowadays lol

That said it’s also the kind of collection they could save for Switch 2 when they need to fill a software gap and sell an easy 10-15m copies.

I don't think all GC remasters will be shadowdropped, as different kinds of market positioning or workload are expected for each game - Kirby being properly announced on a Direct four months prior, while MP1HD was shadowdropped with no mention of MP4 at all. For example, I highly doubt a Paper Mario Thousand Year Door would be just released in the market without a previous market cycle, but for Pikmin 1+2 being used as a market tool for other game, it made sense. However, I'm not sure how Nintendo is seeing this approach after the recent batch of shadowdrops and, I believe, different levels of success. I have in my mind that they were expecting bigger sales for MP1HD (Xenoblade 1 had bigger sales and bigger marketing cycle, and frankly MP1HD is not a lesser remaster / remake when compared to XBC1HD), and that could have been achieved with a more robust release. The same could not have been said for Pikmin, as I doubt they would have had any higher impact due to Pikmin 4 just around the corner.
If Nintendo is seeing this more as legacy software availability and maintenance, then yes, I could see a F-Zero or Paper Mario in the next direct.
I agree that different remasters will experience different kinds of marketing, not simply due to the game, but also when they release. Shadowdropping only really works if the game is set to release around the Direct. And while they obviously coordinate the two, sometimes it's just not going to be feasible to release the game then, like if they want to use it to alleviate a slow month elsewhere.

Like, it's not GC (though neither was Kirby), but Luigi's Mansion 2 wasn't shadowdropped, it's not coming out for a while yet.

I mean shadowdropping would primarily tie those games to February, June and September. Or around then. Barring other circumstances like a series-specific Direct or something.

Having said that, looking at Nintendo's upcoming schedule and the gap in September, the fact that there's probably not going to be a showcase before then for Switch games (even if an "NX2" announcement arrives before then, a Switch GC remaster isn't the kind of thing you'd see there), and their trend of shadowdropping, it does seem like something will indeed be shadowdropped in the next Direct.

I am skeptical it'll be Paper Mario though. I think, unlike Pikmin 1, 2 and 4, TTYD and SMRPG being so close to each other would cause some cannibalization.

I realized I neglected to mention Punch-Out!, of which a release actually doesn't seem improbable depending on Nintendo's current plans for the series, though I like to imagine it mightat least be expanded upon somehow, which veers much more strongly into unlikely territory.
I'd love to see Punch-Out, but I question whether Nintendo wants to release it in the current climate.

I’m more interested in if they will show new hardware. If Switch NG releases early next year they could do that right?
Maybe but I don't expect next switch to randomly appear on a simple direct.

I expect the announcement of a more special event like "tune in on ... to see the next gen of Nintendo hardware" something like that.

This thread just goes to show that if Nintendo wish to continue supporting Switch until the end of 2025 - a year after the successor launches - they have no shortage of titles to bring over.

And frankly, it seems wise to release software playable on both devices when one of them has an install base of over 140 million. It just won't be their top of the line new releases, but mostly older stuff. Of which there is plenty:
  1. Yoshi's Wooly World
  2. Kid Icarus Uprising HD
  3. DK Country Returns
  4. Kirby's Epic Yarn
  5. Kirby Wii U (Rainbow Curse) - could even be portable only.
  6. Lost Kingdoms Double Pack
  7. Eternal Darkness
  8. Viewtiful Joe 1+2 (Capcom)
  9. Giftpia
  10. Cubivore
  11. Captain Rainbow
  12. Paper Mario Color Splash
  13. F Zero GX + AX
  14. Wave Race Blue Storm
  15. 1080 Avalanche
  16. Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD
  17. Chibi Robo 1+2
  18. Zack & Wiki (Capcom)
  19. NiGHTS (Sega)
  20. MadWorld (Sega)
  21. Xenoblade X
  22. WiiWare Collections a plenty!! ArtStyle Collection, Fluidity 1+2, and more.
  23. Wario World
  24. Sin & Punishment II
  25. Soul Calibur II (Namco)
  26. Mario Galaxy 2
  27. Pandora's Tower
  28. The Last Story
  29. Zangeki no Reginleiv
  30. Custom Robo
  31. Disaster Day of Crisis
  32. Silent Hill Shattered Memories (Konami)
  33. Crystal Bearers (Square)
  34. Dragon Quest ports from Wii (Monsters? Joker?)
  35. Dewy's Adventure and Elebits (Konami)
  36. Excite Bots + Truck + World Rally
  37. This list is way too long and I haven't even mentioned Battalion Wars 1+2!
  38. Or Trauma Center 1+2+Team, make them portable only if necessary.
  39. Or Muramasa + Odin's Sphere port, while you're at it.
  40. Or multiple other forgotten platformers and party games released on GC and Wii. Rabbids Go Home? Prince of Persia Wii? Namco's Vegetable platformer for Wii who's name I forget? That Tornado game? Deadly Creatures? Mushroom Men?
  41. My OCD is compelling me to make this list exhaustive.
  42. But I'll give it a rest for now, as I believe the point has been made, and several times over, at that!
  43. And I haven't even mentioned most games in the poll!
  44. Tatsunoko VS. Capcom DX featuring Samurai Pizza Cats
  45. Odama
  46. Endless Ocean 1+2 How could I forget? ahh!
  47. NBA JAM (EA - one can wish!)
  48. Metroid Prime 2+3
  49. Star Fox Adventures + Assault
  50. There's too many of them!
  51. Doshin the Giant

Hmmmmm maybe they reveal a new DK game for next spring/summer and shadowdrop DKC Returns remaster??? I wasn't thinking about that lately but it makes sense.

Problem there is they shouldn't re-release Luigi's Mansion (GC). The 3DS version was a big improvement, with Co-op, graphical changes, and the updates to the hidden mansion that didn't make it in to the NA/JP gamecube versions, the option to have a Strob-lightbulb like in Luigi's Mansion 2, a gallery to refight portrait ghosts, and a bunch of other QOL stuff like optional motion controls.

There's not much reason to go back to the gamecube one if they can at all help it.
Luigi's mansion 2 replaces the first game about as as much as Pikmin 2 replaces Pikmin 1

This thread just goes to show that if Nintendo wish to continue supporting Switch until the end of 2025 - a year after the successor launches - they have no shortage of titles to bring over.

And frankly, it seems wise to release software playable on both devices when one of them has an install base of over 140 million. It just won't be their top of the line new releases, but mostly older stuff.
I do suspect Nintendo will continue to support the Switch in some capacity for some time, and this could be handled with ports, yes, but also just some different titles they don't see or project much benefit from locking onto the next console.

My thought on this, of course, is predicated on the next console possessing backward compatibility with Switch.

There’s a 3DS version?!
It was brought over by Grezzo, as I recall.

I think Prime 2 + 3 with Prime 4 re-reveal makes the most sense.
As much as I would prefer they get the treatment to match Prime 1, this is a distinct possibility.

I do suspect Nintendo will continue to support the Switch in some capacity for some time, and this could be handled with ports, yes, but also just some different titles they don't see or project much benefit from locking onto the next console.

My thought on this, of course, is predicated on the next console possessing backward compatibility with Switch.
That's an important point, you're absolutely right. For example a Ring Fit sequel or expansion would gain much more from releasing on both systems.

F-Zero GX is my guess.

Path of Radiance would also be really, really nice. One of the best FE games.

Obviously a Lost Kingdoms Double Pack

Honestly those feel like the most forgotten From Software games nowadays. I'd love to play 2 again. Never got the chance to play the first one. Really enjoyed 2 though.

I voted for F-Zero GX and I hope it will be this game.

But Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are also possible !

Back
Top Bottom