• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions So what will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

What will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

• New Super Mario Bros Wii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 37 14.8%
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pokémon Channel

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • PokéPark (either or both)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-Zero GX

Votes: 159 63.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • I'm reading too deep into this and there won't be a GCN/Wii shadowdrop

Votes: 33 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pokemaniac

Caught: 1025
Founder
There seems to be a bit of a pattern forming where Nintendo shadow drops a GCN/Wii port during general Directs. With the recent revelation that they seemingly have a whole team dedicated to this sort of thing (which worked on Pikmin 1+2), I expect this trend will continue, which begs the question: what will September's title be?

I've pre-populated the poll with games that are either related to one of the announced Fall titles or are generally rumored to release, but Prime Remastered shows that anything is on the table, so don't feel limited by my options.

pokemon-colosseum-gamecube.gif

Pokemon Channel would actually be an inspired budget release, toss that out at $20 and call it a day.

I actually think F-Zero is the most likely option, though TTYD also has rumor monger momentum.

pokemon-colosseum-gamecube.gif

Pokemon Channel would actually be an inspired budget release, toss that out at $20 and call it a day.

I actually think F-Zero is the most likely option, though TTYD also has rumor monger momentum.
THIS WOULD BE DOPE! I hadn’t thought of Coliseum!!

If the Direct is close to the release of the DLC, they could justify it by shadowdropping a Gamecube Pokemon game

IT'S PRIME TIME, BABY!
Because there's gonna be a shadow drop of Prime 2 and 3 alongside the reveal trailer of Prime 4!!

Last edited:
TTYD and Super Mario Bros Wii would look fantastic with a simple uprez. Which I think takes them off the table, unlike Pikmin which looks very much like a retro game, I think it's too much value and would stomp on the holiday titles. Weirdly, I think Wario Ware would be the same

I want Galaxy 2 because I haven't played it, dammit, but that's not going to happen either, unless Nintendo really decides to lean into Mario like they did for the 35th. And I think they hold whatever they've done to Prime 2+3 until a month or so before Prime 4, as per Pikmin.

F-Zero seems like the best bet, since we've heard rumblings, but I will put in a dark horse candidate with Luigi's Mansion. The 3rd game was a hit, the second game is getting a Switch remaster. The first game has already been remade, and that remake is arguably a demake. I don't think they remake it again. But releasing it fits this trend of getting the previous games of these middle sized franchises available on Switch.

So, book it. Luigi's Mansion. I just convinced myself.

F-Zero seems like a good candidate, with a caveat being that they may not want it competing for mindshare with the Mario Kart DLC. But it's the most plausible to me of these options.

September Directs have been the most consistent Direct spots over the years, the Spring Direct has moved between months before, the June Direct was either absent or happening, but the September Directs have always been happening, with of course the exception of 2020.

It's a tough one. I feel like the lower scale Pikmin 1+2 style releases might, at first, be limited to similar scenarios; Nintendo giving fans a chance to buy the whole series. With that kind of logic, the other Prime games or Luigi's Mansion would be strong candidates for the near future.

But... I'm not yet entirely sure what Nintendo's plan is with this, and whether they're committed to providing this as a consistent option. The Pikmin titles are very different in scope to Prime Remastered, and there are questions marks for me over how Nintendo end up treating different titles. I thought an F ZERO remaster might be a way of testing the audience appetite for the series - would a minimalist upres be useful in any way? Similarly, with Paper Mario, I'd wondered if a potential remaster exists because Intelligent Systems are busy with other projects (we know they've done another WarioWare, another Fire Emblem is inevitable, are they the Princess Peach developer?).

It's something I'll be thinking about further. I definitely think Nintendo have a release coming in September that we're yet to learn about.

I'd probably lean towards nothing, but if there is on when I guess F-Zero fits. Paper Mario is not happening in the vicinity of SMRPG, and we have no tangible rumors of anything else being remastered at the moment that would make sense(i.e Metroid/Zelda).

Wildcard: Animal crossing population growing.

But I think if it's anything, they'd fart out fzero because they've little inclination to make a new one and they might as well.

Won't be another Mario game, since it will just complete with SMwonder. I voted FZeroGX and fully expect disappointment.

In a perfect world, DKC Returns

They have that Nvidia Shield version collecting dust somewhere, why not do something with it?
Does the Nvidia Shield port have the bonus content from the 3DS version? Add that in with 60 FPS and it would be a pretty solid $40 release I think.

Purposefully stacking the poll with games similar to ones we're getting this holiday seems unfairly preferential to F-Zero winning.

I know Pikmin 1+2 are out really close to 4, but getting NSMB, TTYD or WarioWare right before their corresponding game seems a little cannibal-ish. Especially the first two, since I think Nintendo is trying to distance Wonder from NSMB, and TTYD is popular enough that it might steal some of SMRPG's thunder.

Without the rumors I wouldn't say F-Zero, but I wouldn't have a better idea. It'd be nice to get a Star Fox game. Just to have a Star Fox game on the Switch (that isn't... uh... the Ubisoft one whose name I forget, or an NSO release). But given the rumors, I'll go with F-Zero.

Purposefully stacking the poll with games similar to ones we're getting this holiday seems unfairly preferential to F-Zero winning.

I know Pikmin 1+2 are out really close to 4, but getting NSMB, TTYD or WarioWare right before their corresponding game seems a little cannibal-ish. Especially the first two, since I think Nintendo is trying to distance Wonder from NSMB, and TTYD is popular enough that it might steal some of SMRPG's thunder.

Without the rumors I wouldn't say F-Zero, but I wouldn't have a better idea. It'd be nice to get a Star Fox game. Just to have a Star Fox game on the Switch (that isn't... uh... the Ubisoft one whose name I forget, or an NSO release). But given the rumors, I'll go with F-Zero.
I had to pick what games to include somehow, and there's not a ton of precedent for which games are on the table aside from Pikmin 1+2.

If they are going to drop games related to close releases, I see them shadowdroping Luigi's mansion when they announce the date for 2 remaster.

And even if I would love to see that, I don't see them releasing Pokémon Colosseum/Gale of darkness without home integration, so I doubt it.

I had to pick what games to include somehow, and there's not a ton of precedent for which games are on the table aside from Pikmin 1+2.
I understand TTYD, since that's also rumored, but they do seem like choices that would be especially unlikely to be picked given the other games coming soon. Which I think the results bear out.

I guess I would've just chosen titles that don't actively overlap with what is coming out. I know Pikmin 1+2 is a thing, but I think it comes down to the game/IP, and those other options are in situations that make less sense, whether by being what Nintendo is trying to distance the new game from, a much higher chance of cannibalization, or just being pretty unlikely. Maybe less so with WarioWare.

Idk, I may have widened out the parameters a bit to just any remake/re-release that has, at some point, been whispered about. You can keep F-Zero and TTYD, but maybe Uprising, FE4, Prime 2, WW+TP HD, Golden Sun, etc.

Not that I think all those choices make sense, but... I don't think they would drive votes primarily to one specific option.

I'm not so sure that it's going to be a game in the same franchise as another upcoming release. We only have two data points to work with thus far, and Prime Remastered wasn't released within spitting distance of another Metroid title. Nintendo's going into a Mario-dense stretch, and it doesn't make sense to muddy the waters there.

I'm thinking Star Fox: Assault might be a good pick, if it's more in line with Metroid Prime. Star Fox seems like it's always in the back of Nintendo's mind, and while they've yet to do anything with it yet on Switch, it's not the worst choice for a filler release, and could be the Bandai-Namco remaster we saw the hiring for. They could also do Super Smash Bros. Melee now that Ultimate's DLC has finished and Smash 7 has yet to be seen; Animal Crossing could also work by the same logic.

maybe WarioWare Smooth Moves to tie into the new WarioWare game? or it could be the rumored remasters of Metroid Prime 2/3(hopefully is the latter with a trailer of Metroid Prime 4 with a release window for 2024.🙏

So this is already a pattern, huh
Yeah, I think MPR and the Pikmin re-releases are very different entities in scope, even if the manner of staggered digital/physical launch is the same.

The more suggestive development is the appearance of Porting Technology Team in the Pikmin 1 & 2 credits, as is the use of NERD's GC/Wii emulator. Pikmin's been made using the same method as that used in Mario Galaxy in 3D All Stars. NERD are seemingly collaborating with the Porting Technology Team, so I think it stands to reason we end up seeing more stuff like this... I'm just unsure on the frequency of it or how Nintendo will go about choosing titles.

I need one more direct before I can really say it's a pattern, also patterns can be broken at any time too

It's really difficult to figure out, as they've done this twice with two different kinds of "remasters" and release timings. I believe there are 4 very realistic possibilities for September if this continues.

1. Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door. It's likely, but also not as it would be like a month and a half before Super Mario RPG, and I feel that giving two different RPG experiences in such a short amount of time that involve Mario is a big no for Nintendo. Then again, Nintendo isn't shy about pushing many Mario projects in a short amount of time.

2. Luigi's Mansion. They announced Dark Moon is getting a remaster. Doesn't it seem a bit weird that the first game was not mentioned? Especially with September being close enough to Halloween, and they could easily release the physical version a month later.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. September will be the 10th anniversary of HD's release, and it was the original "Digital first, Physical later" release for Nintendo. I can't think of better timing for this to drop.

4. Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness. Similar to Pikmin 1+2. Release these about a month before the first DLC for S/V to get some nostalgia hype going for the brand (not like it needs it lol). This is the one that is least likely to happen, but I can still have hope.

I think F-Zero GX HD looks like the most inevitable option. It was rumored and it's not like anything that Nintendo is releasing this holiday season. I think it's sad since it's a long dormant series so I don't think a shadowdrop will do it any favors in terms of sales. Metroid Prime Remastered came a year after Dread and Pikmin 1+2 have 4 releasing and being promoted, F-Zero has... NSO games.

If they're mad and want the world to really go all in talking about it, an Animal Crossing remake.

Donkey Kong Country Returns can be a nice shadowdrop when they reveal the next Donkey Kong game.

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door can be a good fit for February Direct.

I think Zelda Twilight Princess/Wind Waker and Metroid Prime 2 and 3 are better served as cross gen games for 2025+ since there will undoubtedly be some year without any new releases from those franchises. Also think that releasing barebones or just touched up textures for Prime 2 and 3 after fully remaking 1 might not be well received.

Back
Top Bottom