• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions So what will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

What will the September Direct GCN/Wii shadowdrop be?

• New Super Mario Bros Wii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Votes: 37 14.8%
  • WarioWare: Smooth Moves

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Pokémon Channel

Votes: 4 1.6%
  • PokéPark (either or both)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F-Zero GX

Votes: 159 63.6%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • I'm reading too deep into this and there won't be a GCN/Wii shadowdrop

Votes: 33 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How would that work when the Switch doesn't have a microphone?

There are plenty of input choices to make that up for
And I know peoplenthink Inam jokin' with all my Odama speeches in various topics, but I think it would be fuck*ng fun to play it nowadays, with HD graphics, online leaderboards and mtiplayer mode

Waiting for a sequel

With Samurai Warriros, Dinasty Warriors, Fire Emblem and Goemon inspired tables/levels/campaigns

If it happens, I've got a sinking feeling it'll be Prime 2 and 3, with the September Direct serving as the gameplay reveal for Metroid Prime 4, followed up by Prime 2 and 3 eShop drop announcement. Then Nintendo can have that "play the whole series on Switch" angle going on.

I say sinking feeling because I adore MPR and the work that went into that and I would love to see Echoes and Corruption get the same level of care and attention.

They released Pokémon Scarlet and Violet without Home integration lol
Yes but they both launched with the target of integrating both games in the (far) future. What I mean is that I don't think the Pokémon company will launch a Pokémon game without home integration like they did with the virtual console releases on 3DS.

It won't be TTYD or NSMBWii with SMRPG and SMBW coming out close to it.

If there is one it might be Galaxy 2.

Or Geist, probably Geist.

Thinking through all of the popular options:
  • I don't think TTYD has any chance of happening so close to the launch of Super Mario RPG. Pikmin 1 and 2 aren't particularly long games, so I can't imagine there being as much risk of burnout; and their quick release has the extra benefit of letting them market the complete Pikmin series being available on Switch (Paper Mario is far from that goal; and i'm not sure it'll ever reach it given the fan reception to the 4th and 5th installments). I think it'd be wiser to wait for next year.
  • F-Zero GX has a reasonable chance of sneaking into this year I feel; the H2 lineup is very weighted towards Mario so it'd be nice to have something else drop to balance things out (doesn't have to be a port necessarily though; could be a smaller casual game from EPD). I do however think if this one exists it wouldn't be a Hagi port though; given they'd surely want to implement online.
  • While i'm sure they'll want to reissue Sunshine and Galaxy eventually (with Galaxy 2 in tow), the afformention Mario weighted H2 lineup probably doesn't need any more Mario (this also applies to NSMBWii and Smooth Moves). Save those for later; the former two are already done and being sat on essentially.
  • If anything Mario was going to be dropped on short notice though, i'd say Luigi's Mansion has a fair shot. October is already packed for physical releases though and that's the obvious spot for it to drop, so i'm thinking they wait for next year. Regardless, this is one i'd say has a 100% chance of popping up eventually; just so they can advertise the whole Luigi's Mansion series being available on Switch.
  • Prime 2 and 3 really depend on if they're cooking full-scale Remastered releases like Prime 1, or if they're taking the Hagi route. The latter is possible, especially if we get our first look at Prime 4 in the September Direct, but we have no way of knowing if the former is ready or even exists.
  • Before the direct I would've ruled out Wind Waker and Twilight Princess entirely, but if they're fine to double up on Pikmin releases I don't think these can be totally written off as an option. We'll see what they choose to do with them.
  • Don't believe any of the GameCube / Wii Pokemon games will be showing up anytime soon, all for varying reasons. I'd love to have Pokemon Channel though; such a cute little game.
  • They should release Chibi-Robo for my sake; I don't care if it has no upcoming game to advertise.
The revelation of there being a Porting Technology Development Team, and the reignited use of Hagi is pretty strong evidence for more releases of this nature coming down the pipeline; i'm excited for the posibility. Like I keep saying, I just hope they don't force themselves to only put out games that can justify a physical launch; this has potential to be the perfect way to give more obscure titles a rerelease, and likely the only way they'd recieve one given GC / Wii on NSO is clearly not happening.

And I know peoplenthink Inam jokin' with all my Odama speeches in various topics, but I think it would be fuck*ng fun to play it nowadays, with HD graphics, online leaderboards and mtiplayer mode

Waiting for a sequel
We need a Yoot Saito renaissance stat!

I would kill for The Tower III or HD remasters of the first two games

The revelation of there being a Porting Technology Development Team, and the reignited use of Hagi is pretty strong evidence for more releases of this nature coming down the pipeline; i'm excited for the posibility. Like I keep saying, I just hope they don't force themselves to only put out games that can justify a physical launch; this has potential to be the perfect way to give more obscure titles a rerelease, and likely the only way they'd recieve one given GC / Wii on NSO is clearly not happening.
The fact that the Switch is basically turning into "All Your Favorite Nintendo Games In One Place" is incredibly exciting. We just need a (3)DS solution now.

I think they'll shadowdrop Super Mario Galaxy 2 Remastered by the time they announce the next 3D Mario. Or maybe they'll just shadowdrop the 3D All Stars games separately on the eShop.

luigi's mansion feels kind of inevitable if pikmin 1 can squeak by with a 30 dollar price tag just for market synergy with a new release

September Directs have been the most consistent Direct spots over the years, the Spring Direct has moved between months before, the June Direct was either absent or happening, but the September Directs have always been happening, with of course the exception of 2020.
Even 2020 had a Direct, the Super Mario 35th Direct. The only year to not have a September Direct was 2015.

when talking about these types of Directs it's usually implied we're talking about General Directs, but I get what you're saying
Oh sure. 2020 was such a weird year, the 35th Direct functionally was the Direct that year, but you're right, it wasn't a General .

Hopefully one game that people like a lot and one they hate, but both bundled together.

I'd guess none, but out of those titles, probably F-Zero? We're getting new Mario and Wario as well as Mario RPG and new Pokemon content.
Frankly, I'd guess Metroid Prime 2 above all the options

Even 2020 had a Direct, the Super Mario 35th Direct. The only year to not have a September Direct was 2015.

when talking about these types of Directs it's usually implied we're talking about General Directs, but I get what you're saying
2020 had multiple smaller Directs, including the Partner Showcase that announced Monster Hunter Rise and the dedicated Direct for the game just after the announcement. The timing there was also the week before that year's Tokyo Game Show.

I feel like F Zero GX makes the most sense, even though I'd prefer TTYD. TTYD is probably not likely due to all the other Mario games releasing this year, especially SM RPG. Would love to see Colosseum/XD but I am not holding my breath for that. Could see Nintendo continue to do this into 2025 and even 2026 with Switch getting remasters/ports and Switch 2 getting new titles. They already did this on 3DS when transitioning to Switch (and it would be even better here if the successor is compatible with Switch).

Paper Mario is too close to Mario RPG

Pokemon Company will never allow their games to be mere shadowdrops

the Zelda Duo are too high profile and are already in HD, so not worth a shadow drop

F-Zero is one of the few games without an update that can be shadowdropped with fanfare

Probably F-Zero GX

I would really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii for childhood nostalgia, and because it would bring us one step closer to having the full Mario catalogue on Switch. Don't know if they would want it with U Deluxe and Wonder already around though.

It will be a year since we heard about Fzero s probably this one. TTYD should be some time after SMRPG.

I could actually see Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat as a possibility. Been a while since they released a DK game, and the Wii version should be pretty simple to port.

The only one i will remove is Kid Icarus as a potential dropp, 3DS games will probably be higleted more because they are more recent, also i suppose a Kid Icarus Uprising port costed A LOT, they have to redo the controls

This got bumped and I guess I had forgotten to comment. Picking F-Zero GX for sure. I’m not feeling any of the doubling up options at least for September though I’d adore having New Super Mario Bros Wii on Switch. Even before GX got rumored I had been feeling strongly that 2023 was a good year to revive F-Zero in some capacity. I am afraid it won’t do well with the shadowdrop strategy, but if it becomes the physical December game hopefully it stays in the conversation if the port is good.

The time has come

Odama.jpg
Please...

Neither, GCN/Wii is too powerful for the Switch to emulate.

That's why they're doing Saturn instead

I see a few possibilities:
  • F-ZERO GX finally gets its release for Switch. We have accurate sources telling it's happening. Only thing that bugs me is Nintendo really reviving a two decades dormant series with a shadowdrop;
  • Luigi's Mansion 1: maybe they shadowdrop this and announce a physical release for Halloween? Then show a proper trailer for LM2 remastermake. Kinda like Luigi's Mansion 3DS got a final trailer in September 2018, released October 2018 and that Direct had a reveal trailer for LM3(October 2019);
  • Metroid Prime 2 + 3 remasters: well Nintendo kicked of shadowdropping their highest effort remaster in years of one of the most acclaimed games ever, sooooo... Then we got Pikmin 1+2 shadowdropped barely a month before 4. So MP2/3 being shadowdropped alongside a reveal trailer for MP4 coming in spring 2024 can happen.

I don't really know what's coming next but I know what I'd like to see ported from Gamecube (but probably won't) - Chibi Robo

I don't think this is a thing that's just going to happen in every Direct now. Metroid Prime was a high effort release whose proximity to Pikmin was a coincidence. Pikmin 1 + 2 has high synergy with the upcoming Pikmin 4 due to their low cost and shorter play times, and gets all of a numbered series onto the Switch.

I realize some things are rumored, but I don't actually expect that many games to get the Hagi (Nintendo's GCN/Wii emulator) treatment. (EDIT: I was under the impression Pikmin 1+2 were emulated straight-up, but the game logic is running natively while the graphics and audio are emulated. The end look is basically the same though, so my thinking in this post still applies.) F-Zero strikes me as something they'd be more likely to fully remaster*, if only for better optics (the first new F-Zero release since the GBA being an emulated remaster would be... something). TTYD is a kinda painful game to emulate due to some unique graphical tricks and would need more hacks to make work at 16:9; additionally, the flat style needs more character texture love to truly look upgraded in HD (though the abundance of solid colors would make that ideal for an AI upscaler). The Zeldas are a no-go due to their Wii U versions. Sunshine is theoretically possible but unexciting due to the fact that it already exists. NSMBW releasing close to SMBW feels like it'd have the opposite of the desired effect, unlike Pikmin. Intelligent Systems will probably handle Fire Emblem themselves eventually.

I'd go crazy over something like Kirby Air Ride, but there's zero reason to expect that specific title. I think, if anything, Galaxy 2 complements SMBW better than NSMBW, or perhaps we do get more Metroid Prime. But I'm not confident enough in anything to vote for other, I went with reading too deep.

*A Hagi version of F-Zero GX would be a win-win alongside an announcement of a brand-new F-Zero, though. But that's contingent on a new F-Zero.

Neither, GCN/Wii is too powerful for the Switch to emulate.

That's why they're doing Saturn instead
I realize this is in jest, but Sunshine in 3D All-Stars is emulated.

(I feel like you may have misunderstood the question though? It's not about NSO, which seems to be your implication)

Last edited:
  • F-ZERO GX finally gets its release for Switch. We have accurate sources telling it's happening. Only thing that bugs me is Nintendo really reviving a two decades dormant series with a shadowdrop;
I can't really blame them. the market hasn't gotten more favorable since. maybe a proper new F-Zero at Drake launch, but if it can't hit series high then, it's time for the casket to be put into the ground

I don't think this is a thing that's just going to happen in every Direct now. Metroid Prime was a high effort release whose proximity to Pikmin was a coincidence. Pikmin 1 + 2 has high synergy with the upcoming Pikmin 4 due to their low cost and shorter play times, and gets all of a numbered series onto the Switch.

I realize some things are rumored, but I don't actually expect that many games to get the Hagi (Nintendo's GCN/Wii emulator) treatment. (EDIT: I was under the impression Pikmin 1+2 were emulated straight-up, but the game logic is running natively while the graphics and audio are enunciated. The end look is basically the same though, so my thinking in this post still applies.) F-Zero strikes me as something they'd be more likely to fully remaster*, if only for better optics (the first new F-Zero release since the GBA being an emulated remaster would be... something). TTYD is a kinda painful game to emulate due to some unique graphical tricks and would need more hacks to make work at 16:9; additionally, the flat style needs more character texture love to truly look upgraded in HD (though the abundance of solid colors would make that ideal for an AI upscaler). The Zeldas are a no-go due to their Wii U versions. Sunshine is theoretically possible but unexciting due to the fact that it already exists. NSMBW releasing close to SMBW feels like it'd have the opposite of the desired effect, unlike Pikmin. Intelligent Systems will probably handle Fire Emblem themselves eventually.

I'd go crazy over something like Kirby Air Ride, but there's zero reason to expect that specific title. I think, if anything, Galaxy 2 complements SMBW better than NSMBW, or perhaps we do get more Metroid Prime. But I'm not confident enough in anything to vote for other, I went with reading too deep.

*A Hagi version of F-Zero GX would be a win-win alongside an announcement of a brand-new F-Zero, though. But that's contingent on a new F-Zero.

I realize this is in jest, but Sunshine in 3D All-Stars is emulated.

(I feel like you may have misunderstood the question though? It's not about NSO, which seems to be your implication)
Oops, morning grogginess, my bad!

NSMB Wii since that might prime people up for Wonder

I think either F Zero or the first Luigi's Mansion game. I know some people think it's Prime 2 but I don't think it is that far in development. I doubt they'll release TTYD that close to Mario RPG but who knows.

Man if they rerelease Sunshine and it can read your 3D All-Stars save they’re really gonna get me to double dip, huh.

I can’t decide if I want Luigi’s Mansion 1 to come this way or for it to be remastered. I don’t think it needs any QOL iirc, but I would love to see what a new coat of paint looks like on it (if they went for a Prime “remaster,” but no, I don’t think they would go that far for this game. Just a hypothetical.)

On the other hand, did the 3DS remake brighten up that game a bit? That would be a shame if an artistic decision like that was carried over.

I think the most likely is LM1 gets the Pikmin 1+2 treatment. But please do not stretch the UI like Pikmin, I beg of you. LM1 in HD and widescreen would be making perfect even better, but I don’t want to see a stretched Game Boy Horror.

Gimme Pandora's Tower and The Last Story, or give me not death. I like my life. But i still want those games.

No way they're gonna re-release Luigi's Mansion 2 without re-releasing 1 at some point
This also feels right, and I think it does go the shadow drop route, but not until Dark Moon is further detailed. Not sure if that happens in September or February.

September feels better in terms of spacing though.

No way they're gonna re-release Luigi's Mansion 2 without re-releasing 1 at some point

Problem there is they shouldn't re-release Luigi's Mansion (GC). The 3DS version was a big improvement, with Co-op, graphical changes, and the updates to the hidden mansion that didn't make it in to the NA/JP gamecube versions, the option to have a Strob-lightbulb like in Luigi's Mansion 2, a gallery to refight portrait ghosts, and a bunch of other QOL stuff like optional motion controls.

There's not much reason to go back to the gamecube one if they can at all help it.

Problem there is they shouldn't re-release Luigi's Mansion (GC). The 3DS version was a big improvement, with Co-op, graphical changes, and the updates to the hidden mansion that didn't make it in to the NA/JP gamecube versions, the option to have a Strob-lightbulb like in Luigi's Mansion 2, a gallery to refight portrait ghosts, and a bunch of other QOL stuff like optional motion controls.

There's not much reason to go back to the gamecube one if they can at all help it.
the reason to go back to the gamecube one is that it's an almost effortless port on their part, just as it likely was with pikmin 1 and 2. actually remastering LM 3DS would be a much bigger task than the partial emulation with texture upgrades we're seeing them toy with

it makes more sense to focus on the og version while they do a real port of 2 since they have no other option for the latter. while the 3DS additions were nice, they weren't revolutionary and the game can just as easily be based on the later versions so it still retains as many features as possible.

Back
Top Bottom