• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sega Announces new Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, and Shinobi; More to be announced

All of this has made me Jones bad for a new Sega console.
Even if it was something like Sega and MS going ahead and doing the team-up they were trying to do in the early 00's, I'd accept it. If Sega's gonna start doing some good, quality lineups beyond Sonic and Yakuza, I'd be more and more jazzed about the idea of a Sega-branded console even if it was essentially just a rebranded Xbox (with maybe a more Sega-ish controller and UI).

I mean it'd probably be a terrible idea but I'd love it

Reiko Kodama (RIP) tried really hard for years to get Sega to care about anything Skies of Arcadia related.

Skies of Arcadia Legends could use some modern, QOL flourishes, but at this point, I’d take anything. Personally, I simply don’t want the game to disappear from public consciousness which gets more difficult with each passing year. It should be available to modern audiences. This is coming from someone who hasn’t finished the game.

I was in college; exams and whatnot got in the way. I still have my original GCN copy and save file, but I’ll simply have to start over.

Reiko Kodama (RIP) tried really hard for years to get Sega to care about anything Skies of Arcadia related.

Skies of Arcadia Legends could use some modern, QOL flourishes, but at this point, I’d take anything. Personally, I simply don’t want the game to disappear from public consciousness which gets more difficult with each passing year. It should be available to modern audiences. This is coming from someone who hasn’t finished the game.

I was in college; exams and whatnot got in the way. I still have my original GCN copy and save file, but I’ll simply have to start over.
Honestly SoA Legends with QOL updates and the Dreamcast OST (the Legends OST was pretty heavily compressed) would be exactly what I'd hope for. Any remaster things (slightly higher-poly MC models, better textures, updated lighting) would be a cherry on top but not at all necessary for me to lose my shit, scream a bunch on Fami, thank Sega on the socials, regain my shit, and pre-order a physical copy.

Even if it was something like Sega and MS going ahead and doing the team-up they were trying to do in the early 00's, I'd accept it. If Sega's gonna start doing some good, quality lineups beyond Sonic and Yakuza, I'd be more and more jazzed about the idea of a Sega-branded console even if it was essentially just a rebranded Xbox (with maybe a more Sega-ish controller and UI).

a smarter idea would be Sega games bundled and a Sega skinned Xbox

hell, Sega should add their arcade titles to Gamepass as service. so it'd be a way to access stuff like Daytona Championships outside of JP arcades

Honestly SoA Legends with QOL updates and the Dreamcast OST (the Legends OST was pretty heavily compressed) would be exactly what I'd hope for. Any remaster things (slightly higher-poly MC models, better textures, updated lighting) would be a cherry on top but not at all necessary for me to lose my shit, scream a bunch on Fami, thank Sega on the socials, regain my shit, and pre-order a physical copy.
Yeah, same

Still gets to me that she had changed her Twitter PFP to Skies of Arcadia and that we never learned what her project was that started after AGES finished.

Also annoying to me that Skies of Arcadia Legends was considered to have underperformed back in the day when it sure seems like SEGA just didn't print enough fucking copies. The game was hard to find on day one. Though I dunno any numbers, it may as well be Panzer Dragoon Saga's comically low 10k copies all over again.

Dreamcast 2. It's time.

Exactly what I was thinking
I'm willing to bet at least Crazy Taxi will be considering A) the "Super Game" reports about it, and B) even in the like 6 seconds of footage, a good chunk of it is multiplayer. Also to be honest, Crazy Taxi's gameplay loop doesn't really make sense for a decently priced game, I could see it being F2P.
Streets of Rage 5 and Golden Axe look multiplayer too but they're probably just co-op games with online like SoR4.

JSR could be one too, considering it's being worked on by the division of Sega responsible for Phantasy Star Online 2 that was previously known as Online R&D, but we haven't seen anything officially pointing to multiplayer so that's maybe a little too soon. Maybe they mention it in the Japanese recruitment interview, I dunno, I don't speak Japanese.
Shinobi definitely isn't, at least.

I'm willing to bet at least Crazy Taxi will be considering A) the "Super Game" reports about it, and B) even in the like 6 seconds of footage, a good chunk of it is multiplayer. Also to be honest, Crazy Taxi's gameplay loop doesn't really make sense for a decently priced game, I could see it being F2P.
Streets of Rage 5 and Golden Axe look multiplayer too but they're probably just co-op games with online like SoR4.

JSR could be one too, considering it's being worked on by the division of Sega responsible for Phantasy Star Online 2 that was previously known as Online R&D, but we haven't seen anything officially pointing to multiplayer so that's maybe a little too soon. Maybe they mention it in the Japanese recruitment interview, I dunno, I don't speak Japanese.
Shinobi definitely isn't, at least.
I'm really hoping for a Sega Renaissance similar to what Capcom has had over the last generation.
Sega once upon a time just really knew how to make bonkers over the top fun games...

I'm really hoping for a Sega Renaissance similar to what Capcom has had over the last generation.
Sega once upon a time just really knew how to make bonkers over the top fun games...
They still do! The only real miss I can remember over the past couple of years is Sonic Superstars, and that's probably more cause of Arzest. And even then it's probably still Arzest's best game.
And Hyenas I guess but that was cancelled so does that even count?

They still do! The only real miss I can remember over the past couple of years is Sonic Superstars, and that's probably more cause of Arzest. And even then it's probably still Arzest's best game.
And Hyenas I guess but that was cancelled so does that even count?
That might be true, but I don't think many people look so fondly at Sega how they now look at Capcom.
Once upon a time Sega had a very cyclical software development with their games, where they were pretty dominant in the arcades and as new hardware for the home consoles came out. Gamers then enjoyed a level of excitement to now be able to play these games at home and how massive that looked for the Sega brand. It was something they did extremely well that even Nintendo couldn't say they had a strong footprint in...

It seems SoR's complete name is "Streets of Rage Revolution". That's the only new info about these games though, not even clarity on if these new games or remakes. SoR at least doesn't look like a remake:
SEGA-Management-Meeting-2023_Streets-of-Rage-Revolution.jpg

Golden Axe's blurb saying something like "the story is about to begin," so it sure sounds like a reboot at least. Probably fair, since I dunno if there's a heckuva lot of people who especially care about the continuity of Golden Axe. Just vibes. Definitely curious how that one ends up shaking out, since I never really thought Golden Axe was THAT big a property, especially compared to Streets of Rage, but in the past few years there's been seemingly dozens of high-priced action figures of even the random mooks that sell out and end up having a lot of demand for reprints or variants.

Jet Set Radio mentioning open world also seems pretty interesting. No missions or zone structure? JSRF's zones felt SORT OF open world, but were so distinct from each other they didn't obviously fit together. Might be why they're revisiting the original style instead, since exploring a more modern day Tokyo-To doesn't sound too outlandish. Also helps it stand even further apart from BRC, which was extremely "JSRF." The mention of increasing fans though... I guess social media might be playing a role in the story/mechanics? Though I guess it could just be like Persona 5 where your support goes up and down throughout the story regardless and is just set dressing.

Shinobi art looks fucking sick, I hope it's as far along as it looks and releases soon.

It seems SoR's complete name is "Streets of Rage Revolution". That's the only new info about these games though, not even clarity on if these new games or remakes. SoR at least doesn't look like a remake:

That Shinobi art.

SEGA-Management-Meeting-2023-Shinobi-1.png

I dunno, Jet Set Radio showing A) locations from Future and B) being described as open world makes it pretty clear to me it's a reboot like Future was.

Yeah, that'd make sense, I could see that being the case. Considering it actually has a subtitle, I could see it coming out fairly soon, so we'll probably know sooner than say, the devs of Crazy Taxi.

JSR and Crazy Taxi just use old logos so they're probably earlier in development than Shinobi and Golden Axe.

Mighty Fight Federation is a versus arena brawler but combat was pretty cool. The devs trying a side scroller brawler version of that could be really interesting. But one thing for sure, they can put out really nice visuals for the Switch hardware, so at least SoR should be a lock for Switch.

One of those will definitely be at the Direct in February and this is a good candidate.

I wish we had Farming Direct. It was just a direct that had some farming games in it, and the number of other genres far out-weighed farm sims. Obnoxious people just needed something to complain about.

Can't believe it's been over ten years since our last SEGA Direct though. We're definitely due for another one.

NintendoDirectMay2013Japanlogo.png

Sega is gonna spend their time reminding people that they are multiplatform. don't expect any Nintendo-dedicated show. hell, it's almost a question if they'll even support Drake with some of their games

Sega is gonna spend their time reminding people that they are multiplatform. don't expect any Nintendo-dedicated show. hell, it's almost a question if they'll even support Drake with some of their games
Some, sure.

But all of these games that are supposed to be about re-capturing that "Dreamcast energy"? I'd be surprised if any of them miss the Switch's successor.

They're all be on Nintendo systems. Some on Switch, some on the successor (My guess is JSR and Golden Axe on the successor, the rest on Switch). Don't forget, Sega doesn't hate Nintendo, they just think it's for kids. Well, just the Sega management. Atlus doesn't share those feelings, neither do the others who license Sega IP's.

They won't do a Sega specific Direct but one by one they will be on Directs. Sonic Superstars and Persona 5 tactica occupied quite a time on the recent Direct, I expect the same for the February one. Shinobi and Crazy Taxi are to be on February, June Direct gets Streets of Rage. I suspect JSR and Golden Axe aren't close to be finished yet.

There's nothing bizarre about this reveal. That GaaS rumor about Crazy Taxi and JSR was baseless to begin with. Sega has already been licensing out their IP's for others to use (Switch got Panzer Dragoon, House of the Dead, SoR4, Alex Kidd and tons of Monster Boy games) and now they're much more aggressive about this.

It's an original, AAA game from Sega's internal studios according to Sega.

(It's probably part of a Roblox metaverse thing)

I'm just waiting for them to announce the Panzer Dragoon, Sakura Wars, and Evangelion projects.

Those have me more excited than the ones they revealed at The Game Awards.

It's an original, AAA game from Sega's internal studios according to Sega.

(It's probably part of a Roblox metaverse thing)
If it truly is AAA, it better have at least the budget so that, when I hit begin game, the first thing I hear is YA YA YA YA YA

Crazy Taxi was super awesome as an arcade game.

This...could work, and I'm crazy enough to say it deserves a bigger budget. It all comes down to execution though.

Of all the games they could do that approach with, Crazy Taxi definitely makes the most sense. I hope the updates aren’t full of FOMO stuff or Battle Pass stuff… but I have a feeling it will be.

Back
Top Bottom