• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sega Announces new Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, and Shinobi; More to be announced

A modern take would be tough yeah, but a remaster I think could be a nice middle ground. About what they did with the GC Zeldas or Chrono Cross, ya know? Just spruce up the main character models and textures a bit and call it good.

And a new NiGHTS could be lovely and whimsical and fun

And a new Ecco could be an incredible graphical showcase

And Capcom could collab with them on a new Power Stone

And a joycon-centric rhythm dance game for Switch with Space Channel 5

And hell, ChuChu Rocket 99

And and and
Yeah fair!

Shinobi looks fantastic. Lizardcube delivers.

I don't know how to feel about Jet Set Radio. We just had Bomb Rush Cyberfunk so I'm not as hyped as I would have been years ago...

I don't know how to feel about Jet Set Radio. We just had Bomb Rush Cyberfunk so I'm not as hyped as I would have been years ago...
For me it's just

cover1.jpg

I agree that we still do need to know the actual quality of these releases because Sega can still screw something up, but come on we gotta give them the props for actually trying something with their IPs. I will only be slightly miffed if Crazy Taxi does turn out to be F2P.

Bombrush was cool AF but there's definitely nothing wrong with MORE. Not like we're drowning in JSR-likes over here. Hopefully they nail the soundtrack too.

The new game also seems to have a very different aesthetic, building more on the original game's bright colors rather than BRC basically being all in on Future's sound and style.

We are so back*

* Backness is dependent on Sega not screwing this up
This reminds me of Level-5 being back and since I'm a believer in them I HAVE to support all you Sega fans. All of these games will come out and they will all be great for fans 🫡

I don't think anyone predicted this in their wildest dream. What a powerful move. Sega has a really strong history of games. If I can dream of even more, I'd ask for

• Offline Phantay Star
  • Shenmue 4
  • Sega Bass with HD rumble
  • Astal in 4K glory
  • Segagaga translated
  • Strategy Shining Force
  • Outrun in the style of 2006
  • Virtua On comeback
  • DecAthlete for current gen
  • A new Seaman with AI tech
  • A strategy Sakura Wars
  • Virtua Cop VR
  • A new Panzer Dragoon RPG
  • A new game from the developers of Skies of Arkadia
  • A new game starring Tails, maybe Metroidvania-ish like his game on Gamegear?
  • Ecco
  • The Legend of Oasis in the same 4K visual style as the new Monster Boy games
  • A new Dynamite Deka
  • Ressurect Treasure, and make a new Guardian Heroes
  • Ristar 4K
  • Show the world how awesome Fighters Megamix is
  • Baku Baku Animal makes a return
  • Shining the Holy Ark comes back
  • Dragon Force 3
  • Sega Rally 2024
  • Nights 3
  • Burning Rangers
  • Virtua Fighter 6
  • Scud Race
  • Emergency Call Ambulance
  • New Spikeout
.... And more they said :p No other company has more sleeping franchises than Sega. I want this and more.

Now Sega are back in pog form, it would be nice if they showed Skies of Arcadia some love. An HD port at least seems a no brainer

I think they're trying to more market it as a revival of "classic" sega.

Yeah, that's definitely what they're doing, but I don't think it's very smart.

This way they're basically marketing these to the nostalgia audience, which isn't enough to make these games successful. Younger folks who have never played any of them will watch the trailer, won't get an impression of what each of the games offer, and disregard it as a product aimed at old fans instead of something they could be interested in.

They're obviously going to have separate trailers later down the line, but this was their first impression.

All of these titles are probably more bite sized games in some very convoluted live service scheme which is why they showed them all together.

Definitely a highlight of the announcements for me, along with Light No Fire. I hope Sega doesn't mess these up by doing some weird subscription or live service thing or otherwise. If these are standalone, normal releases, then I expect these to be servicable 6-8/10s that I'll pick up if future trailers also seem promising.

Maybe my favorite announcement of the night. Not sure how well these games will sell, but we are getting a new jet set and crazy taxi!!! 10 year old me is thrilled! Now will we get the off spring and Pizza Hut product placement…?

If Sega can pull out some sort of metaverse/subscription service with sonic, yakuza, crazy taxi, super monkey ball, golden axe, panzer dragoon, samba the amigo, house of the dead, shinobi, streets of rage, virtua fighter, jet set radio, persona, valkyrie chronicles, etc as downloadable titles..

Maybe they can develop their own HW again as some of closed PC box where you can pay their subscription service. Of course, they will give away 3 free months by buying their HW.

Even partner with capcom like old times and bring street fighter or resident evil lol.

I can only imagine my cousins reaction to this news. He was a big Sega fan back in the day, even convinced my parents to get me a Game Gear over the Game Boy.

As long as they end up good I'll definitely be picking up whatever comes to the Switch, or its successor. Might just play some Genesis NSO in celebration tonight.

Maybe they can develop their own HW again as some of closed PC box where you can pay their subscription service. Of course, they will give away 3 free months by buying their HW.
that'd be incredibly useless. at best, they'll license out their name to some company like Asus or whomever and those companies would make a Sega branded variant

If the new Jet Set Radio is also coming to Switch 2, then that version needs to have the Inkling from Splatoon as a playable guest character.
Their reliance on their subsidiaries has but them in the back so some more self reliance goes a long way.

This... there is a specific audience that has nostalgia for those properties, but those are not the marketable mascot properties nintendo has, and it is quite a while since they where really in the eye of the mainstream and not just in collections or games marketed at old fans.

I wish them good luck,. but they cant relly on their history. They really need to sell this to a new audience, to stand in this new landscape. And they need new ips that connect to their heritage but make it more mass market compatible. This seems to hinge to much onto their legacy.

I'm so hyped for each of these games, but I really hope that they're not too high budget and/or will be of very high quality. I 100% agree with @Aether up there, as they seem to vastly overestimate the appeal of their IPs. The trailer is currently sitting at 300.000 views on YouTube, which is not awful but seems pretty low for this kind of very hype announcement. Also hoping for a Switch and PC release for these, because imo that's where the market is for this kind of games.

I'm so hyped for each of these games, but I really hope that they're not too high budget and/or will be of very high quality. I 100% agree with @Aether up there, as they seem to vastly overestimate the appeal of their IPs. The trailer is currently sitting at 300.000 views on YouTube, which is not awful but seems pretty low for this kind of very hype announcement. Also hoping for a Switch and PC release for these, because imo that's where the market is for this kind of games.
300k? ouch... Hbomber guys last video gained millions of views, a handful of second hand drama youtubers got way more then that trailer, and thats segas "big legacy" thing.

i hope they are aware of the reach, and that the budgets as you say are reasonable, and that they have a long term plan and use this as a jumping of point...

i have never played any of these as i think they are pre-my generation for relevancy but they all looked great! especially shinobi and that medieval lookin game.

don't understand the crazy taxi hype, though. looks so... generic city driving sim?

Step One: Make good-ass video games. Then worry about "IP strength", "mass market fit" or "social impressions".

Lots of criticism that established publishers have become too conservative, favoring only the proven money-makers. I applaud Sega for identifying opportunities for really fun video games that can piggy-back off classic IP and then going for it with the right partner devs and realistic expectations.

Proper expectations: The appetite for legacy-based new content is healthy, but obviously you are not expecting multi-platinum mega-hits. It doesn't always have to be home-runs to cultivate a successful portfolio.

Not long ago Streets of Rage was "old news bygone-IP". Then a good developer made a good-ass video game, and Streets of Rage was a smashing success for its relative scope.

Heck, even a maybe-not-so-good developer channeled some righteous passion into a Sega remake project, and tho results were mixed, it performed well enough that a sequel (remake) was subsequently green-lit. (We in the 2020s and Panzer Dragoon of all IPs lives y'all!)

don't understand the crazy taxi hype, though. looks so... generic city driving sim?
Crazy Taxi was not generic, it was very, very Sega:

Premise was that you had to get your customers to where they were going as fast as possible, whatever "as fast as possible" takes in an arcade racer. Picture Need for Speed Underground but with a backseat driver. 😅

So if they're doing a faithful remake, it has the chance to be absolutely, delightfully nuts.

Crazy Taxi was not generic, it was very, very Sega:

Premise was that you had to get your customers to where they were going as fast as possible, whatever "as fast as possible" takes in an arcade racer. Picture Need for Speed Underground but with a backseat driver. 😅

So if they're doing a faithful remake, it had the chance to be absolutely, delightfully nuts.

ah, i see - that is more interesting lol. in the small snippet they showed, that didn't really come across. also, idk the art style seems a bit bland in the trailer which i think is what made me think it seemed "generic." though, again, small snippet and who knows how much longer it'll be in development.

ah, i see - that is more interesting lol. in the small snippet they showed, that didn't really come across. also, idk the art style seems a bit bland in the trailer which i think is what made me think it seemed "generic." though, again, small snippet and who knows how much longer it'll be in development.
Yeah it does have a bit of a vibe of "fanmade UE4 Crazy Taxi trailer" but I'm hoping the gameplay is as goofy as it aughta be. Crazy Taxi is one game where I'd almost say the graphics and artstyle barely matter, it's 100% a gameplay game. Leans heavily into Sega's arcade roots.

Step One: Make good-ass video games. Then worry about "IP strength", "mass market fit" or "social impressions".

Lots of criticism that established publishers have become too conservative, favoring only the proven money-makers. I applaud Sega for identifying opportunities for really fun video games that can piggy-back off classic IP and then going for it with the right partner devs and realistic expectations.

Proper expectations: The appetite for legacy-based new content is healthy, but obviously you are not expecting multi-platinum mega-hits. It doesn't always have to be home-runs to cultivate a successful portfolio.

Not long ago Streets of Rage was "old news bygone-IP". Then a good developer made a good-ass video game, and Streets of Rage was a smashing success for its relative scope.

Heck, even a maybe-not-so-good developer channeled some righteous passion into a Sega remake project, and tho results were mixed, it performed well enough that a sequel (remake) was subsequently green-lit. (We in the 2020s and Panzer Dragoon of all IPs lives y'all!)
the problem with these IPs are more being able to feed the beast. Streets of Rage 4 was a success for the studio and publisher because they were far smaller than Sega. Sega probably would have quietly buried the game after talking about its success if it was under them

I feel like I'd be a completely different person if I grew up with Sega games beyond the occasional Sonic game

So... did we find out what the "egg" was referencing? Could Billy hatcher really be a part of "more" in that reveal trailer? I mean they didn't give a release schedule for all the games, "more" part may come sooner than the others...

So... did we find out what the "egg" was referencing? Could Billy hatcher really be a part of "more" in that reveal trailer? I mean they didn't give a release schedule for all the games, "more" part may come sooner than the others...
Honestly I think it was just Tee being a goober. He does tend to shitpost.

the problem with these IPs are more being able to feed the beast.
By "The Beast" do you mean profit expectations due to them being publicly traded and with large shareholders they are beholden to?

I've always been curious what RoI is deemed acceptable for a company like Sega, much less Nintendo. I def respect that they have limits to their resources, both internal manpower as well as annual development budget overall.

Looking at Street's of Rage 4 sales I was surprised to see it hit 2.5+ million units. Surely a massive success by any of their estimated sales scenarios? While at a lower sales price, that figure heartens me as to what a well-executed Golden Axe could do, the title I had the lowest expectation for out of what was revealed.

We have already seen strong market support for really good 2D action-adventure games, at least in the $20-30 pricing range (if you are not Nintendo). I suspect Shinobi will be priced higher than that tho.

Crazy Taxi is the one with the highest ceiling from the trailer, in my opinion. If its awesome, and touts a strong online multiplayer component, look out 🤧

One more thought just occurred to me, I wonder if the Microsoft GamePass 💰 also helps encourage publishers like Sega by mitigating risk with the promise of an upfront sum? Maybe the trailer games have already been locked in for day one GP?

Okay that's cute and all Sega, but a game you should really be making right now is Valkyria Chronicles 5

Back
Top Bottom