• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sega Announces new Jet Set Radio, Streets of Rage, Crazy Taxi, Golden Axe, and Shinobi; More to be announced

What is this? Like is this all in one game or not, because Geoff said they announced 5 games but why would theh all be announced in one trailer. Also, crazy taxi is hype

Is the devs Forever? Wouldn't be surprising, they've already done two of Sega's games...

oh my god how can they all look so awesome? maybe it's because we only got snippets of each but damn, they all looked great. Shinobi is the clear standout but my god, I'm intrigued.

If Sega still had a console, they would have more exclusives then Xbox and Playstation

Shinobi’s art style

vn7RJSw.jpg

Me likey! 👀

(Shout out to that shout at the end, hated it when I was a kiddo, now its like an old friend)

Wondering how many of these projects are internal development vs with a key partner team? Are the Streets of Rage 4 devs coming back?

... AND MORE

⁉!?!?

"And more" can be a whole helluva lot 🤯
So many great sleeping SEGA IPs!

Nintendo please do this with your dead franchises now
Huh? I thought they’ve already been since the past decade (hence Famicom Detective Club, Advance Wars, and Trace Memory) (unless those and others would are being referred to as new entries, which those remakes of those respective games definitely open a window for new stuff ahead).

On topic, while it’s great to see those five SEGA IPs back (maybe six if I count the Samba de Amigo game?), I’d definitely be down for new NiGHTS and Billy Hatcher stuff as those are my fan favorites.

Last edited:
My guesses for the developers:

Crazy Taxi - Forever (the studio who did Panzer Dragoon)
Jet Set radio - in house
Streets of Rage - DotEmu
Shinobi - WayForward
Golden Axe - Soleil

I think all crazy taxi fans can be heard singing “yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!!” across the world right now.

I have my reservations about some of these titles in this day and age, but if the price is right I’ll gladly relive the glory days.

Been playing a lot of the GC release of Crazy Taxi and I’m very excited for this. Optimistic they manage to get all the songs back

Shinobi's more than likely being developed by Lizardcube. Its art style looks very similar to the Wonder Boy remake and SoR4's, plus they tweeted this right after the trailer:

Aside from Shinobi, I'm pretty interested in that new Golden Axe. Could be a lot of fun depending on how they approach it.

Release date guesses:

Shinobi: fall 2024, Switch
Crazy Taxi: Fall 2024, Switch
Jet Set Radio: Summer 2025, successor
Golden Axe: Fall 2025, successor
Streets of Rage: 2026, successor

I wonder if the plan is release them knowing some won't be successful but the ones that are can somewhat offset the others and inform Sega which of these IP to continue supporting. Because this is no small gamble.

Putting my cynical hat on. How many of these get cancelled and how many are declared underperformers if they do release?
I want to say none and most, possibly all, respectively, lol. Unless we get like three/four bombs in a row and the last one/two are trapped in dev hell.

I think Shinobi has the budget/scope and genre/look to be successful for what it is. The others I'm less sure on.

Sega wasn't gonna settle for releasing multiple big games at the same time, they had to announce multiple at the same time too!

As long as Sega understands that these games aren't likely to be huge hits out of the gate, this is an awesome move from them. Build up your treasure trove of IPs over time, and you'll reap the rewards.

If the new Jet Set Radio is also coming to Switch 2, then that version needs to have the Inkling from Splatoon as a playable guest character.

Shinobi's more than likely being developed by Lizardcube. Its art style looks very similar to the Wonder Boy remake and SoR4's, plus they tweeted this right after the trailer:

Aside from Shinobi, I'm pretty interested in that new Golden Axe. Could be a lot of fun depending on how they approach it.

Wouldn't the more obvious assumption be that they're just teasing that they're working on the new Streets of Rage?

Wouldn't the more obvious assumption be that they're just teasing that they're working on the new Streets of Rage?

It looks like none of their prior work, so not really. Even in their pitches that never went anywhere, their focus has always been on 2D, hand-drawn stuff. Just like this new Shinobi.

The Crazy Taxi visuals look a little iffy for me but everything else looked amazing! NEW Jet Set Radio?!?! Crazy!

Good catch! I can see that being them.

Thank you for the video in the OP. Okay, I know we only really saw short snippets, but all five games they displayed looked great. I think I remember Crazy Taxi was going to be GaaS so I’m tempering my expectations for it, but regardless I’m psyched about it. Ditto for Streets of Rage. Shinobi’s hand drawn style is downright luscious, too.

I'm a really, really big fan of how this was shown off. Having all these games shown off in just one trailer was great. The editing and music was top notch, and I'm seriously wondering why Sega's marketing department outclasses the rest of the company so consistently. I know this was only shown like this because these are smaller, less relevant IP that haven't been around for a while, but imagine if someone like Capcom did this with Mega Man, Strider, Darkstalkers and Demon's Crest. Would be insane, and I really have to give props to Sega here for having the balls to not space out the announcements. They really treated it like one big company promo and it was amazing.

As for the games themselves, what's most surprising is that they looked pretty good. I am weary of them though because the gameplay was so short.

Strider looks and will almost certainly be great.

Jet Set Radio looks pretty good, but it's one of the originally GaaS so I'm a little skeptical.

Golden Axe and Streets of Rage look good though a bit clunky, I'm actually more interested in Golden Axe even if it looks like it might be jankier.

Crazy Taxi looks rough.

Streets of Rage 4 was one of my favourite games in the year it released, can’t wait for a sequel. Curious about the others, Shinobi looks good. If Golden Axe manages to banish the spectre that was Beast Rider and get back to arcadey hack-em-up that would be good too

My guesses for the developers:

Crazy Taxi - Forever (the studio who did Panzer Dragoon)
Jet Set radio - in house
Streets of Rage - DotEmu
Shinobi - WayForward
Golden Axe - Soleil
I'm gonna guess Shinobi is also DotEmu, looks very similar to Wonder Boy The Dragon's Trap, probably with Lizardcube like with that and Streets of Rage 4.

Can't believe Sega in the Switch 2 generation is gonna be like Square was in the Switch 1 generation.

I'm so happy

I wonder about the more, and I honestly woul love Comix Zone, I wonder if a remaster coul sneak In like Skies of Arcadia
I would love Skies of Arcadia, but I think a modern take on it would probably be a budget beyond what they’ve put together for these. They’ve also focused on the link to their roots in arcade games.

I would love Skies of Arcadia, but I think a modern take on it would probably be a budget beyond what they’ve put together for these. They’ve also focused on the link to their roots in arcade games.
A modern take would be tough yeah, but a remaster I think could be a nice middle ground. About what they did with the GC Zeldas or Chrono Cross, ya know? Just spruce up the main character models and textures a bit and call it good.

And a new NiGHTS could be lovely and whimsical and fun

And a new Ecco could be an incredible graphical showcase

And Capcom could collab with them on a new Power Stone

And a joycon-centric rhythm dance game for Switch with Space Channel 5

And hell, ChuChu Rocket 99

And and and

Wow where has this Sega been hiding all this time? That's quite the statement.

Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi are especially welcome returns.

The footage for them definitely looks promising but this is also SEGA. Definitely gonna be a little cautious and need to wait for these games to get some proper impressions closer to release before I get interested in any of them

Back
Top Bottom