• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Sales of Splatoon 3 in Japan surpass 3.45 million in first three days, biggest launch week ever in Japan

Time for Splatoon spin-offs. Give me a Splatoon RPG please. I suppose tactical makes the most sense but would rather have action or turn based.

The single player has that covered, but maybe if it got a stand alone release thats bigger and badder, more people will discover the wonder of the single player and pretend it does not count as content for a new Splatoon game.

poor Level 5. they been trying for that shit for years. then Nintendo just comes and and just....shits all over them

Ugh. Don't get me started. They are so talented and have wonderful games... but they sabatoge themselves so damn hard :(

Splat splat splat... lets go! I dont play splatoon 3 but i can see what makes it so likeable and im happy for all the fans and the team! lets goooo!

I'm posting this here on Fami too because this is truly exceptional. Splatoon 3 entered the top 50 in 3 days.

Top console games ranked on LTD unit sales in Japan (floor: 3 million units)
DYupWSQ.png

Systems
NSW - 13
NDS - 11
3DS - 8
GMB - 5
Wii - 5
FCM - 4
SFC - 4
PS1 - 3
PSP - 2
GBA - 2
PS2 - 2
PS4 - 1

Publishers
Nintendo (incl. The Pokémon Company) - 42
Square Enix (incl. Square, Enix) - 9
Capcom - 6
Konami - 1
Level-5 - 1
Microsoft Game Studios - 1

Series
Pokémon - 15
Super Mario - 6
Monster Hunter - 6
Dragon Quest - 6
Mario Kart - 5
Animal Crossing - 3
Final Fantasy - 3
Splatoon - 2
Brain Age - 2
Wii Sports - 2
Super Smash Bros. - 1
Tetris - 1
Tomodachi Collection - 1
Ring Fit Adventure - 1
Wii Fit - 1
Momotaro Dentetsu - 1
Yo-kai Watch - 1
Minecraft - 1
The Legend of Zelda - 1
Donkey Kong - 1

Decades
1980s - 5
1990s - 10
2000s - 20
2010s - 19
2020s - 6

Pokémon Sword/Shield - explained here , the Expansion Pass SKU which sold ~200k units according to Famitsu estimates is not included in Nintendo's official shipment data

Monster Hunter Freedom 3 , Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - explained by Chris here

Monster Hunter Rise - the game sold 7,7 million units globally by December 2021 and David Gibson repeatedly reported that domestic sales represented at least 50% of its global sales ( 1 , 2 , 3 )

Monster Hunter: World - explained here , the Master Edition which sold >560k units according to Media Create estimates is not included in Capcom's leaked shipment data

Minecraft - this is the most difficult one to estimate due to the complete lack of official figures, the best we can get is boundaries for its 2018-2021 eShop sales + a guesstimate of its 2017 eShop sales + Media Create's physical estimate. 1m seems to be a good ballpark for its eShop sales as of December 2021 and by then Media Create had the game at 2.281.023 units LTD, since this is a rough estimate I rounded the total to 3,3m.

Yo-kai Watch 2: Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls - Level-5's official shipment data for Yo-kai Watch 2 includes the upgraded version Psychic Specters, so I used the same split found in Media Create estimates:
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls (via Media Create) - 3.188.989 (54,50%)
Psychic Specters (via Media Create) - 2.662.103 (45,50%)
Bony Spirits/Fleshy Souls/Psychic Specters (via Level-5) - 6.170.000 -> 54,50% of that is ~3.360.000
Wow @ New Horizons

poor Level 5. they been trying for that shit for years. then Nintendo just comes and and just....shits all over them
It's not Nintendo's fault that Level 5 milked Yokai Watch into the ground and took their sweet time getting the series localized. 2.5 years was absurd for a property that hot. FFS Yokai Watch 3 was announced before YW1's localization.

If Squid Game wasn't so brutal, I'd expect them to have a collab with Splatoon by now.
They should make a map based on the squid game kids game for one of the Splatfests, and then make the 3 options 3 different kids games (e.g., marbles, tug of war, hopscotch).

It's great to see a relatively new Nintendo IP become such a big deal.

Hopefully this motivates them to make more new series.

Wink, wink....

f5b5f91b0u371.jpg
I strongly prefer single player games to multiplayer (Splatoon is rare exception), and holy smokes the ceiling is soooo much higher for multiplayer games. I'm 115 hours into Xenoblade 3 and if global lifetime sales match 3 days of Splatoon 3 in Japan would be a smashing success.

For that reason alone, I can imagine that Nintendo is looking for the next Splatoon or Animal Crossing way more than the next Monsolithsoft rpg.

I strongly prefer single player games to multiplayer (Splatoon is rare exception), and holy smokes the ceiling is soooo much higher for multiplayer games. I'm 115 hours into Xenoblade 3 and if global lifetime sales match 3 days of Splatoon 3 in Japan would be a smashing success.

For that reason alone, I can imagine that Nintendo is looking for the next Splatoon or Animal Crossing way more than the next Monsolithsoft rpg.
Monolith already secured their bag, they ain't got to worry nor do single player fans

Fantasy Open World Action RPGs are massive though. Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild ("RPG", whatever) and Elden Ring all set absolutely absurd records. Monolith could become so much bigger if they get to do something similar

Fantasy Open World Action RPGs are massive though. Skyrim, The Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild ("RPG", whatever) and Elden Ring all set absolutely absurd records. Monolith could become so much bigger if they get to do something similar
Sounds like a job for Xenoblade Chronicles X2

Monolith already secured their bag, they ain't got to worry nor do single player fans
For sure, my comment wasn't meant to imply that I think Monolith isn't sitting pretty (clearly Nintendo highly values them a lot). More that I don't think they're looking at Splatoon 3 and are drawing any conclusions about the potential for new IP Monolithsoft would make.

I was thinking about what an open world action RPG from Monolith would look like....and lol I think that's just BOTW. In which case I completely agree!

This is seriously mind boggling. Largest launch in Japanese history. The potential this franchise has is astounding. Cant wait to see where Nintendo takes it over the years and how big it can get both in Japan and overseas.

An argument could be made about Mario Kart and Smash Bros.
Smash Bros is definitely bigger than most of these yeah, and If Mario Kart counts then what about Super Mario Party lol.
Anyway, this impressive af. I hope the sales are also amazing out here in the west too. I just want 3 to sell 10M+

It took me a few seconds to process, I was reading it like “3.45 million ww“, OMG… it’s very impressive, I hope other sequels to sell better like Zelda, Xeno…

Seconding everyone who said it's time to form The Splatoon Company, so we can pump out yearly spin-offs so the ink mechanic may enrich all the video game genres known to man and squid.
While I think we're probably one more mega Splatoon hit away from something like the Splatoon company being established, I'm not sure if yearly spin offs is a good idea. I kind of prefer the way Nintendo is handling their successful IPs such Animal Crossing and Splatoon right now. They don't rush and try to turn every IP that sells great into a multi media thing. That said, I'm all for a short anime series on Splatoon.

Last edited:
That seems inevitable since I think there's a manga for it?
Yes. Even during the Wii U days. Splatoon was popular enough to get a manga adaptation that's still ongoing. So clearly an animation adaptation is the next logical step here.

Anecdotally, it’s the only release this year that has my entire friend list playing it. Two of the friends were converted by the Splatoon 2 trial years back. I guess it is for more than just fans!

The Splatoon paradox, it's only for Splatoon fans but when non fans buy the games they become Splatoon fans so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. It's true but also not true at the same time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AC is retail only and Splat3 is retail+digital. One would think digital sales for AC were also huge due to COVID lockdowns.
What's the usual digital to retail split? 50:50? During COVID I'd say the split was even more in favor of digital.

ACNH retail+ digital is given by Nikkei. It is 2.68m. So Splatoon 3 still far outpaced ACNH there.

Nintendo was going wild with Splatoon merch from the start like they had Water Pistols over there. They should really try to tap more into this and for the west.

ACNH retail+ digital is given by Nikkei. It is 2.68m. So Splatoon 3 still far outpaced ACNH there.
For sure, I was just saying Splatoon 3 numbers are probably not twice better than ACNH.
So it's more like ~30% better, which is still huge. Congrats to Splatoon 3 in any case.

Holy fucking shit, that's nuts. We're probably looking at 5 million globally. Hopefully people can stop saying it was a fluke now.
5 million seems very conservative given these numbers

Seconding everyone who said it's time to form The Splatoon Company, so we can pump out yearly spin-offs so the ink mechanic may enrich all the video game genres known to man and squid.
I wonder how Miyamoto feels about FLUDD and Mario Sunshine, considering the exact opposite of that game's main mechanic became a global phenomenon.

I wonder how Miyamoto feels about FLUDD and Mario Sunshine, considering the exact opposite of that game's main mechanic became a global phenomenon.

Funny and true. He must have thought a lot about the gratification of having cleaned up a mess versus the fun of making a mess. And I'd love to know if he and Nogami have talked about it or hear what Miyamoto feels the difference is in game design terms.

I’m still disappointed that they’ve had two opportunities now to re-release Sunshine with motion controls for FLUDD and passed it up each time

Back
Top Bottom