• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Sales of Splatoon 3 in Japan surpass 3.45 million in first three days, biggest launch week ever in Japan

I wonder how this compares to Animal Crossing, noting it had the COVID-advantage.
These are the biggest Nintendo Switch retail launches in Japan prior to Splatoon 3 (idk if retail includes download cards but someone could probably confirm or deconfirm that)

Doomed, Switch on its final legs I say

It's clearly over any moment now...

Aaaaany moment now

Impressive number for Splatoon 3 and then we're going to get similar levels of performance by Pokémon Scarlet and Violet at the end of the year.

These are the biggest Nintendo Switch retail launches in Japan prior to Splatoon 3 (idk if retail includes download cards but someone could probably confirm or deconfirm that)

If Animal Crossing only 1.88 Million sales in launch period (3 days), Splatoon 3 at 3.45 Million almost double to that in Japan only ! That's absolutely amazing 👏

It's legitimately that good.

Looking forward to seeing how they reinvest this success into the franchise. The game nearly perfects what Splatoon 2 was trying to do, but I'm not sure they can get away with doing that again so easily?

To all those people wondering why Nintendo pushed for a sequel as opposed to just updating Splatoon 2...there's your answer lol.

Absolutely stonking numbers. Who could have foreseen when the first game was revealed at that E3 in 2014 that in 8 years it would become one of Nintendo's most popular franchises

If Animal Crossing only 1.88 Million sales in launch period (3 days), Splatoon 3 at 3.45 Million almost double to that in Japan only ! That's absolutely amazing 👏
Correct me if I'm wrong, but AC is retail only and Splat3 is retail+digital. One would think digital sales for AC were also huge due to COVID lockdowns.
What's the usual digital to retail split? 50:50? During COVID I'd say the split was even more in favor of digital.

lol holy shit biggest opening weekend for a game ever in Japan. This thing has reached phenomenon status there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AC is retail only and Splat3 is retail+digital. One would think digital sales for AC were also huge due to COVID lockdowns.
What's the usual digital to retail split? 50:50? During COVID I'd say the split was even more in favor of digital.
Correct. But Nintendo still says Splatoon 3 was higher overall, which is absolutely insane.

so according to install base this is apparently the biggest launch sales in japan, period. not just for switch games.
Makes sense, AC:NH broke that record last. Japan is Splatoon land now.

What I also find interesting is we're seeing the selling power of Nintendo's biggest franchises now with the power of a popular console with a massive installbase behind it. There's no slow burn evergreen sales coinciding with new console sales here. This is BANG day 1 fans buying out of the gate numbers. It demonstrates the appetite for these games now the base console sales are in place.

Lordy I really want to see what kind of day 1 numbers BOTW2 will do.

Absolutely well deserved. Fantastic game.

I’ve been playing Splatoon 2 for years and none of my friends showed any interest, but now lots of them are talking about Splatoon 3. Clearly way more people are noticing it and I’m very happy they are.

Booyah!

With Splatoon's massive popularity in Japan, I am surprised there has never been a Splatoon anime greenlit. I know Nintendo is precious about their internal franchises when it comes to adaptations, but the aesthetic and setting would translate to animation really well.

They did make an Animal Crossing movie back in 2006, which they didn't even bother to localize.

Not bad at all for a low budget iterative sequel no one asked for on a console on its twilight years.

/s if it wasn't obvious

Considering Splatoon 2 was Splatoon 1.5 and Splatoon 3 is Splatoon 1.8, imagine how big a real Splatoon 2 will be

:p

Holy shit, that's a lot of disconnected multiplayer games.
I Kid.. I kid..

Insane performance - Splatoons popularity, especially in Japan is crazy.
One of the most innovatine new IP in gaming over the last few generations.

Holy shit, that's a lot of disconnected multiplayer games.
I Squid.. I squid..

Insane performance - Splatoons popularity, especially in Japan is crazy.
One of the most innovatine new IP in gaming over the last few generations.
Lazily fixed that for you.

folks have mentioned that Install Base has confirmed this but here are ZhugeEX's tweets on the matter for additional context and verification

edit: Here are the game launches that Splatoon 3 has managed to surpass

Last edited:
Insane, guess it's that not surprised considering how much coverage I've been seeing over in Japan on my timeline this weekend. Well deserved for sure though, game is super addicting.

This will do wonders for software sales this quarter. Japan software was 8.07 million last quarter and 8.00 million this quarter last year. Splatoon 3 already at 3.45 million, could be 5.5 million by the end of September.

Switch software shipments.

Regional-Software-2022-23.png

I don’t know exactly between physical & digital sales. But the statement from Nintendo itself confirmed that Splatoon 3 physical + digital sales sold more than Animal Crossing p + d sales in 3 days over there

Hot damn. Bigger launch than Pokémon, Animal Crossing, or Dragon Quest? 🤩

Anectodtally, the NPD numbers might be quite good too for the US. Bought a copy at Target yesterday and the clerk said “it’s been flying off the shelves today”. Several of the local stores were sold out as well.

The next quarterly earnings are going to be very fun I expect.

What a historic SW launch, unbelievable! Who would’ve ever guessed that a SHOOTER could snag the all time launch record in JAPAN?!

The digital ratio must be really high, which is hopefully good news for other recent Switch releases as well.

Hot damn. Bigger launch than Pokémon, Animal Crossing, or Dragon Quest? 🤩

Anectodtally, the NPD numbers might be quite good too for the US. Bought a copy at Target yesterday and the clerk said “it’s been flying off the shelves today”. Several of the local stores were sold out as well.

The next quarterly earnings are going to be very fun I expect.
Who knew squids could fly?

I can see the trend of "sequels on same system sells less" be broken with switch. Let's see how Splatoon 3, Pokémon S/V and BotW2 behave, but I see them easily surpassing their previous entries sales on the system.

Also, it's wild to think that one of the most successful multiplayer shooter nowadays it's a Nintendo first party. What a time to be alive.

I told y'all this game would cruise past Splatoon 2's sales numbers and wouldn't act like a typical sequel

Considering just how polished it is, how much fun it is to play, and how the game is just oozing with style, it's well fucking deserved! I've been having a great time

Back
Top Bottom